One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-10 23:14:20

stickyflypaper

Safe houses

Hi everyone.
Might I suggest, when living in a large village, make sure there are some little settlements, or starter material set up a good way away in each direction, so when there is inevitably a mass murderer on the loose, you have somewhere to run to.

I was the last survivor of a murdered village today. I wished I had had a little safe place to go to, to wait for the killer to age, or something. Or to stay and start over.
Fortunately, I did survive and even killed the killer, and left a daughter behind. Probably too little, too late. The farm was in ruins, most of the carrots went to seed. It was sad. A great, thriving village, all brought down by one piece of crap.

#2 2018-04-11 07:20:48

Aurora Aurora

Re: Safe houses

Good idea but in this post-apocalyptic world we have to focus on farming and hunting etc etc and building houses for something that "might" happen isn't going to be on the top of anyones list. Maybe on the private servers but it might be a while until we get enough resources on the main servers for something like this (at least server 6)

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#3 2018-04-11 07:46:38

breezeknight

#4 2018-04-11 10:05:45

pein

people dont listen, setting up a small farm takes like 20 minutes of your life

it could be a thing, set up a farm, pick out, leave it dry, take your family away
or this, or shoot all your sisters

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-04-11 16:36:54

stickyflypaper

Aurora Aurora wrote:

Good idea but in this post-apocalyptic world we have to focus on farming and hunting etc etc and building houses for something that "might" happen isn't going to be on the top of anyones list. Maybe on the private servers but it might be a while until we get enough resources on the main servers for something like this (at least server 6)

Sadly, I don't think it's something that just might happen. Eventually there will be murders and/or famine, and when that time comes, having some basic necessities set aside out in the wilderness will be very helpful. It doesn't even have to be much, a plot of soil with seeds, a bowl or water pouch, and maybe a rabbit, a hatchet would be good too.
I don't mean a literal "house" or building. I hope that wasn't confusing.

I just think, since at this stage in the game's development, sustainability seems very difficult. So settlements might need to move around occasionally. Someone else just created a thread about this topic: "proactive Family Spreading" https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1073

#6 2018-04-11 19:40:36

Ka

Personally, I'd rather work on improving the village for the inevitable growth in population that comes from having an environment that actually allows griefers to focus on griefing, or build a weapon and start guarding others to prevent mass murders.
Building a sustainable settlement is already kinda hard as it is, building another one just for backup seems not only a waste of resources, but somewhat not feasible, too. And the nearer you are to the main settlement, the easier you are to spot if you try and hide there. If big towns that favor griefing scare you so much, I think you'd be better off just loading a cart and starting your own settlement elsewhere.

#7 2018-04-11 19:51:49

Lucky-San

In fact, in order to have a safe house, the most valuable item is a fertile woman... without her, it's pointless...

I think that some girl in a village could act like an Eve. If I am in a self sufficient village, I have no problem with a woman who "steal" to us some tools...

sorry for my english, but you know, not everyone is british or american... I'm french by the way (the best country in the world!) wink

#8 2018-04-12 17:26:31

stickyflypaper

I was a fertile woman, and the last survivor of a mass murder. I did manage to survive, kill the killer, and leave behind a daughter who saved the village.
I don't think it should be too difficult for a thriving village to leave a few things around out in the wilderness. In my last life I found several little abandoned settlements far from the main village. They weren't ideal, with not enough water, and problems like that, but it was certainly better than nothing.

Board footer