One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-09 18:56:25

Thorware

Permanent Sheep!

Have you ever worked with sheep? You spend a whole lifetime fetching countless straight branches and building a nice fence pen so you can keep the sheep contained (and out of your carrot patches). It has to be fence so you can remove the logs to get in and out. But what's this? The sheep keeps running through the opening right when you remove the log! Stupid sheep! That's fine, you just build an "airlock", a second section of fence enclosing nothing between the sheep's pen and the wide world. You can go through one log at a time and make sure there are no escapees. Problem solved! Happy with your design, you log out for awhile. But later when you log back in and arrive at the same town, you find that some griefer has taken out all of the logs and the sheep are now roaming free or dead! What a nightmare! And how often do you happen upon that same sight? A fence pen that clearly once held sheep, it probably has shears, spindle, and knitting needles nearby, yet the fence is ripped apart and there are no sheep to be seen. Whether it was a griefer or a noob that tore the fence down, they have ruined a fragile high-tech area that took ages to construct.

What if there was a better way?

I present to you: Permanent sheep!

Sheep obey two rules when they move: They only move in straight lines, and they will only move to empty tiles. You can exploit these facts to lock a sheep in place (or restrict them to a certain collection of tiles) with clever wall and object placement.

You can even restrict the sheep in such a way that you can get in and out for shearing, but the sheep can never escape! With this design, you no longer need to be able to remove walls, so you can ditch the fences (which can be easily de-logged or dug up with a shovel). Now you can build adobe walls instead which are practically permanent! And it's way easier to fetch adobe in your backpack or a basket than lugging all those giant branches around. Plus no fussing around with an adze and shovel!

But what about the objects you leave on the ground to prevent the sheep movement? Surely a noob or griefer will come along and pick up the item sooner or later... But there is one object that can never be picked up, and recently it was changed so you can walk over it! That's right, a filled trash pit! And it's permanent! Another problem solved.

Combine these concepts and you can make permanent sheep pens! Now griefers must put in a lot more effort to ruin your sheep station (knife the sheep, wall off the entrance, or tear down an adobe wall with two others). A clueless noob now has no way at all to ruin it!

Here's an example of what it could look like for one sheep on one tile.

Sheep

Build the structure, lead the domestic lamb there with the rope, unrope him at the desired spot, then feed him his meal, and presto! Infinite wool!

Many other designs are possible, such as including space for many more sheep. (Although there's not much benefit from having more than three or so since fetching the berries and carrot to regrow the wool is the limiting step.) If you want a bigger pen, the most efficient design is to leave out the corner (replaced with a trash pit) and then put a blocker wall outside the corner.

I hope I see more of this style of sheep pen in the future, and less of the horrendous fence rectangles.

#2 2018-04-09 19:00:22

InSpace

Re: Permanent Sheep!

Killing sheep and getting 4 raw muttons is not very easy to do with the design sadly, but it makes fixing wool very manageable big_smile

#3 2018-04-09 19:09:46

Thorware

InSpace wrote:

Killing sheep and getting 4 raw muttons is not very easy to do with the design sadly, but it makes fixing wool very manageable big_smile

As I explained, you can make bigger pens if you like, as big as you want, just put a trash pit in the corner. Then offspring are free to roam and there should be no problem with killing sheep and collecting mutton if you like, you can even bring a cart in.

Personally I find mutton too cumbersome since it takes up tons of storage and doesn't fit in containers so I don't bother with it. But wool is cool for making easy and fashionable clothes for everyone. (Dye is required to qualify for coolness!)

#4 2018-04-09 19:20:57

breezeknight

very nice

#5 2018-04-09 20:50:45

Aurora Aurora

Hah, I kept seeing that structure and I never knew what it was
Now I know

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#6 2018-04-09 22:47:35

Avalikia

Thorware wrote:

Personally I find mutton too cumbersome since it takes up tons of storage and doesn't fit in containers so I don't bother with it.

Pro tip:  Cooked mutton fits in baskets.

Last edited by Avalikia (2018-04-09 22:49:11)

#7 2018-04-10 00:07:31

Thorware

Avalikia wrote:

Pro tip:  Cooked mutton fits in baskets.

Oh cool! I didn't know that. Maybe I should think about cooking mutton more.

I need to give a word of warning about getting stuck as a follow-up to my post. I was playing around with the setup shown in the image and got myself in trouble. When you shear a sheep, the sheep with the wool on him counts as a blocked tile. If you are standing on that tile when it becomes blocked, you can't move down through it. So if this configuration is set up, only shear from the pit, never from on top of the sheep itself! If you shear from the sheep's tile, the tile will become blocked and you will have nowhere to drop your shears, so you can't pick up the wool and will be unable to move out! Luckily I called for help and someone rescued me by picking up the wool and I was able to escape. But I nearly starved to death. So watch out! That's a definite advantage of a larger pen over a more compact design, it's much less likely for you to get stuck inside. It also seems likely that you wouldn't get stuck if the opening was above or to the side. I'd like to test those configurations out.

Last edited by Thorware (2018-04-10 00:10:59)

#8 2018-04-10 01:45:56

pein

in one of my lives i made a house of 4x4 from adobe. fetched 4 carts of adobe. a fast way could be making half walls this takes the stakes but you can make 11 stakes , put in basket, build a 4x4 half walls.
wasnt filled trash pit dissapearing after a time? you can use dug out big rocks as well, to block sheep movement

just a note about kiling a  sheep, hte bonepile blocks movement so dont make 1 wide fence and maybe put a cart inside

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2018-04-10 05:58:23

Thorware

pein wrote:

wasnt filled trash pit dissapearing after a time? you can use dug out big rocks as well, to block sheep movement

No, the filled trash pits are permanent. If you fill an empty pit with a shovel it will quickly disappear, but if you fill it with trash it never goes away. See https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#6 … -Trash-Pit, there is no entry for the trash pit plus time leading to empty space.

Dug rocks can easily be moved by griefers or noobs and let the sheep out. I'd prefer even a home marker to a dug rock, at least with the home marker someone has to find a sharp rock to get rid of it, not just click on it.

#10 2018-04-10 08:45:44

yvanhooe

I also saw a smart design once where instead of a wall, one of the blockers was a box. That way you can put wool, your tools, the mutton's meal inside without having to do backs and forth.

#11 2018-04-10 09:42:03

Eccola

yvanhooe wrote:

I also saw a smart design once where instead of a wall, one of the blockers was a box. That way you can put wool, your tools, the mutton's meal inside without having to do backs and forth.

yes, then someone goes and makes a sledge:) seen it too many times, unfortunately

#12 2018-04-10 15:52:36

TerraSleet

Oh man, I know the exact village that building in the screenshot was built in. The place got griefed hard by one guy who kept digging up all the berry bushes, killing the sheep and hiding the worms. That dude was dedicated to seeing the place die out.

#13 2018-04-14 00:09:19

pein

seems it been fixed, today the sheep got out,did everything right, seen with my own eyes, big sheep walking trough the filled thrash pit

first life i met a guy who brought a horse, i was feeding him, then told him to wait, went to a medium far forest, got the things one by one, made a fence

then he asked what to do next, i told  we build a fence pen
made half adobe on front and 3x4 iinside. i had a few runs, even a good one, i forgot about the city but then i seen my fence.
mom, princess had crown, called me aurora wanted me to be hunter or farmer, but my first word was she ep

made the bowl with carrot, made the fence close, made a rope, went out, found a stupid wolf hat and released the sheep , then i brought back again but somebody increased the adobe so i didnt see my bowl, confused, starved cause was too hot, didnt wanted to release sheep

then other life i managed to do all right but the sheep escaped trough the filled thrash pit, then everybody stole everything, and i was angry at a chick who stole my second arrow, stabbed her but somehow the kid died instead and i starved, too hot slowmo, lag.

Next run we made the saddles, i born a daughter, i lost like 7 kids, i tought i keep it, called aurora, actually she was princess, my mom with crown from other run.

Then we moved the fence with old pal and made our saddles, rided a bit, then died before moving fence into colder place.

last run i almost died as a noname kid between 6 others, but somehow survived, geared up, then after some griefing and anti griefing i took the horse, made 1 tile horse stop fences in northwest where i hid knives and north so horse can stop there, overall was a nice village, i had several runs wasted with sheep and learned the lesson

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2018-04-14 13:34:54

Thorware

pein wrote:

seems it been fixed, today the sheep got out,did everything right, seen with my own eyes, big sheep walking trough the filled thrash pit

The trash pit does not stop a sheep from moving through, it only prevents the sheep from stopping on the tile. You must build a wall or fence behind the trash pit in the direction of all possible angles a sheep might try to cross it. Since a sheep can only move in one direction at a time, this can prevent them from leaving, while allowing you to walk through since you can change directions on the trash pit. (The same logic goes for any item on the ground, so try experimenting with sheep and items to get the hang of it.)

I'd be surprised if the behavior was changed, I think it's more likely that you misunderstood the function of the trash pit.

#15 2018-04-15 05:26:13

pein

i had 3 walls , 3 pit, maybe was growing up, and acted as small sheep at start of movement so once it grown it just ignored the pits

Board footer