One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-16 14:34:15

wondible

Teacher's Uniform

I've been thinking that males may make better teachers without babies popping in all time time. The problem is that without those babies, you don't have a good way to start the conversation. If nobody answers on a visit to the nursery, you go off to do something else, and miss quite a few people, unless you spot somebody struggling at a basic task.

What if there were a teacher's uniform? To really work we'd have to tell new players about it like we tell them about yum, but we've got start somewhere.

Right now I'm thinking Toque Blanche (chef's hat). It's not best-in-class so you don't see them often, but they are not terribly hard to make and still have a bit of insulation. Other possibility might be the Santa Hat; however it requires alum and seems to be a bit more common on it's own.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#2 2021-01-16 16:15:34

DestinyCall

Re: Teacher's Uniform

This would work.  And it even makes intuitive sense if you start off by teaching about baking and other food-based activities, like farming, shepherding, fire-tending and composting.

To bake a simple mutton pie from start to finish requires a vast array of practical skills and crafting knowledge.

#3 2021-01-16 17:43:03

Liger1

I like this idea. To expand on it a bit. Players who wears the chef hat (Toque Blanche) can teach basic tasks (ex. feeding sheeps, compost, stew, broth, popcorn, etc.). Players who wear the santa hat can teach advanced tasks (ex. using froe and mallet, pickles, rubber, smithing, making quicklime, making glass bottles and funnels, etc.).

I encounter lots of players who arent brandnew who still do not know what quicklime is and what it is use for.

#4 2021-01-16 23:06:04

fug

I would go a step further than just making it a clothing related thing and say it should be a mechanic just like leadership with designated role titles. Imagine if players could do something as simple as /baker to either denote a title or find the closest person with that title. You could even specifically have a teacher tag and boom, the game points you towards a player who notes they either want to or willing to teach.

Like most things in the game there's so much untapped potential that could really go a long way in making the game better.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#5 2021-01-17 02:20:24

wondible

fug wrote:

I would go a step further than just making it a clothing related thing and say it should be a mechanic just like leadership with designated role titles

Would be nice. Right now I'm hoping to maybe create a tradition. If people play this way, perhaps it appear worthy of enshrining in code.

Meanwhile: experience report: Toques don't get made much, but people do seem to like wearing them when they exist. Perhaps I should be more active about asking people if they know about this idea or just picked it up. Would help spread the idea if nothing else.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#6 2021-01-17 04:34:44

Cogito

I like this idea in particular, but also anything where we try and use tradition and convention to enrich the meta of the game.

It needs to be an outfit that is relatively easy to acquire, and that no-one else would wear by choice.

Toque is a great choice for headwear, but I think the rest of the outfit should be standard too. My suggestions:

Head: Toque Blanche (cheap and uncommon)
Chest: Rabbit Fur Shawl (cheap and extremely uncommon)
Bottom: Rabbit Fur Loincloth (cheap, but common, until village gets wool clothing. other option would be reed skirt)
Foot: Wool Booty (relatively cheap, and seems to be the least common footwear that is easy to acquire)
Back: Backpack (gotta have a backpack, too useful and important to teach about)

#7 2021-01-17 05:02:58

Spoonwood

Cogito wrote:

A toque blanche requires 4 wool to make for 12.5% insulation.  A bowler hat requires 1 wool to make for 15% insulation.  So, on the contrary, the toque blanche does cost a lost.

I'm just saying that such isn't cheap.  I certainly would NOT advise making them if a server was full of players, or had an abundance of new players relative to veterans, not for purposes of insulation, because of their expense.  I'm not taking a position on it's value as a symbol.

Wooden shoes also can be less expensive than wool booties.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2021-01-17 05:58:51

DestinyCall

Pretty sure it costs eight wool to make a Toque Blanche.

But looking like a real chef is worth the sacrifice.  Just think of all the mutton pies you can bake from sheep you killed while making your fancy hat.  It will be awesome.

#9 2021-01-17 12:36:19

Cogito

Spoonwood wrote:
Cogito wrote:

A toque blanche requires 4 wool to make for 12.5% insulation.  A bowler hat requires 1 wool to make for 15% insulation.  So, on the contrary, the toque blanche does cost a lost.

I'm just saying that such isn't cheap.  I certainly would NOT advise making them if a server was full of players, or had an abundance of new players relative to veterans, not for purposes of insulation, because of their expense.  I'm not taking a position on it's value as a symbol.

Wooden shoes also can be less expensive than wool booties.

Remember, the point is to look different to everyone else. Secondary objectives are to be able to quickyl make the uniform, especially if there aren't that many resources around.

Wooden shoes are ruled out specifically because they are easy to make and provide good insulation - this means people make them. Ideally, we want something people don't make very often in the game, so that if you see the uniform you say "ahh! that is a teacher" because no one but a teacher would be silly enough to wear that outfit.

Bowler hat *may* be a better option, but it seems like it is made a lot more often than the toque. Furthermore, and this wasn't stated above, uniform pieces should be chosen to be as visually distinctive as possible - in my mind the bowler is too common and not striking enough.

#10 2021-01-17 13:22:53

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

Pretty sure it costs eight wool to make a Toque Blanche.

But looking like a real chef is worth the sacrifice.  Just think of all the mutton pies you can bake from sheep you killed while making your fancy hat.  It will be awesome.

I did have trouble calculating that.

Oh... I calculated a wool hat.  I didn't realize that a toque blanche is the result of two wool hats.  Yea... I've never made a toque blanche.  I figured out it wasn't practical with respect to survival/eating less/convenience a long time ago and just avoided them.

Cogito wrote:

Wooden shoes are ruled out specifically because they are easy to make and provide good insulation - this means people make them.

Uh... in some cases I suppose.  In many other cases, no, it doesn't work out that way.  Like, I don't just mean people who don't know about wood  shoes.  Twisted regularly doesn't make wood shoes and plenty other streamers/people on discord who I feel confident know or knew something about wood shoes providing insulation often don't make them (NOR wear something else on their feet).

I do think though that the toque blanche is less common than wooden shoes.  But, it's less common, in part, because it's expensive.

Also, I think it's bad form for a teacher to wear something that comes as one of the most questionable things to make early on and during a sale.  I mean, a good teacher leads, in part, by example.  A gen 3 player for a camp starting from scratch making a toque blanche for some future teacher uses all too many resources (8 wool!) for too little benefit.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#11 2021-01-17 13:52:16

wondible

Cogito wrote:

Chest: Rabbit Fur Shawl (cheap and extremely uncommon)
Bottom: Rabbit Fur Loincloth (cheap, but common, until village gets wool clothing. other option would be reed skirt)
Foot: Wool Booty (relatively cheap, and seems to be the least common footwear that is easy to acquire)

I see shawls semi-regularly. But it is often hard to see the difference with a backpack on.

I usually pick a rabbit loincloth when I have the option. I believe is best in class for temperature, thus many people will wear it by choice. There are few options for bottoms though. Some of the skirts are uncommon, but there is the loom tech barrier, and they will likely get turned into pants.

I see wool booties sometimes, but they are probably uncommon enough.

Also, all of these decay, so there would be an ongoing cost. On the upside, that means extras won't accumulate and be worn by others as often.

#12 2021-01-17 17:08:40

DestinyCall

Clothing dyed a particular color might work, except that too many dyes are race-locked now, so it would be too hard to source the necessary ingredients in every village.

Ironically, Jason added dyed clothing to the game with the hope that we might end up using them to make uniforms one day.   Specifically, blue dye for police uniforms.

It never caught on, because we don't have police.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2021-01-17 18:31:38)

#13 2021-01-18 13:17:23

Cogito

DestinyCall wrote:

Clothing dyed a particular color might work, except that too many dyes are race-locked now, so it would be too hard to source the necessary ingredients in every village.

Ironically, Jason added dyed clothing to the game with the hope that we might end up using them to make uniforms one day.   Specifically, blue dye for police uniforms.

It never caught on, because we don't have police.

The bigger issue with dying is it means only quite advanced towns can have a teacher uniform.

Maybe that's ok, but it makes it hard to have a ubiquitous teacher in the current meta - as many of the situations you might want to have a teacher you won't have died clothing.

#14 2021-01-18 17:21:46

DestinyCall

Yeah  the simplest and cheapsst dyed clothing item is the bowler hat, but because it is so cheap, it is also quite common.   The top hat might be a better choice.  Doesn't require loom-tech and the higher cost deters mass production.  If all dyes were equally available, we could pick a color that was harder to make, like green, so it a little more exclusive. These are all on the same tech level as sheep.  Before you have sheep, I don't think you need a dedicated teacher.  Pre-sheep town are generally low population and  survival oriented.  Dedicated teachers are less important than working mothers who talk to their kids.

But I agree with the OP.  Toque blanche is perfect for this role.   It is a silly hat that costs too much to mass produce and naturally encourages players to act in a singular and intuitive role.   Even if someone didn't know that we expect our cooks to teach new players, they would likely recognize that wearing a cook hat means they should know how to cook.

The trick is encouraging players to actively teach new players when they wear the hat and inform new players to seek out the town chef for further instructions.

Board footer