One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-05 11:05:41

MrsDuckGirl

Pig farm - Adopt a boar

Pig meat is tatsy, but you need to feed a pig twice to get 5 meats (once for the pig to pop a baby, once to feed the baby pig). You wish you had the domestic boar, which will pop a baby piggy from time to time, but the domestic boar is deadly.

Here is a farm design that will allow you to get the boar without being bite : make a 4x3 pen, one gate south and one gate north. Inside, you just have two tiles, one for the boar and one for its baby. Use either gate, depending on where the baby spawns, to take care of the pig. The boar can't move to bite you, nor it can go out of the pen. Just be careful to not stand on bones while removing them as the boar will move to this tile as soon as they are taken.
qdTmCkr.png

Also works vertically :
D2B0Y5v.png

BUT this design is dangerous : you can still cross the pen by mistake, because of the automatic path.

So here is a safer one : around the pig pen, make another pen, but with one entrance only (yes, I have two on my design, the gate plus the corner, but as they are on the same line I stll can't enter the pen. Just don't build two entrances on the outside pen). This way, you can't enter the boar pen by mistake.
Also, the boxes are very convenient but if anybody adds a long shaft it'll free the boar.
QAH48V2.png

Then you can build a taco factory close to it :
HFhPHBg.png

Be the new Pig King !

#2 2021-01-05 12:21:43

miskas

Re: Pig farm - Adopt a boar

nice designs!
Happy to see that the Boar pen is still in use and upgraded!

Last edited by miskas (2021-01-05 12:22:27)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#3 2021-01-05 12:32:51

Cogito

I like it a lot, but I worry it's like leaving a big shiny engine outside the property fence - just asking to be griefed.

I wonder what options there are for making it harder to release the boar. Perhaps a variant using property fences would work, especially for the boxes.

#4 2021-01-09 08:36:44

MrsDuckGirl

Ok, so... I came up with another design, a bit harder to grief :
WARNING : I messed up, the railroad should be 6 tiles long (and not 4 like on the picture) I can't change it because I play alone, and you need to be 2 to remove railroad.
S6pDJdY.png
The table block the boar from moving diagonally when the wagons are gone. They are removable so you should maybe use stone walls. The wooden fences prevent people from entering the boar pen by mistake, I'm just thinking that putting 2 boxes/fences left of the tables could be enough.
This is a more expensive building though.

Last edited by MrsDuckGirl (2021-01-11 11:09:42)

#5 2021-01-09 13:44:41

Coconut Fruit

2020-06-03_12_00_52.png

I did these in the past. The thing is, people always kill the boars. It's very unlikely that a boar could survive a few hours in a town.
I don't bother anymore.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#6 2021-01-09 14:36:38

Cogito

My concern with griefing is actually about the boars being released. That's also why people kill them - to stop them from being released by a griefer once the farmer dies or goes to work on something else.

The theory would be that if you have a locked property pen, inside a non-decaying fence, you protect against both griefers and neglect. Griefers can't get in to steal the boar and release in town, and even if the property fences decay the boars won't escape on their own. Property fences now take forever to decay in any case, so I doubt it's an issue in practice.

#7 2021-01-09 16:06:22

DestinyCall

I feel like it is a design flaw that making a pig farm that looks like this is a better option than raising non-deadly pigs exclusively. 

Domestic animal reproduction is bollocks right now.

#8 2021-01-11 10:07:23

MrsDuckGirl

I don't understand why you use waystone inside your pen Pein, can boar pass through doors ?
Also to me, you need two entrances because you can't predict where the pigglet is gonna go.

It seems like ancient walls and locked doors is the best solution (as long as boar can't pass throught doors) to not be grieffed. Tho, it annoyes me that you don't have direct access to storage to quickly feed pig and remove its meat.

Bad new, I built a pen this morning, using double 5 railroads and the boar escaped while I was off screen. I don't understand why, it shouldn't have, and the pig never escaped.
EDIT : this is actually because you need 6 railroads.

Last edited by MrsDuckGirl (2021-01-11 11:08:54)

#9 2021-01-11 11:40:09

pein

MrsDuckGirl wrote:

I don't understand why you use waystone inside your pen Pein, can boar pass through doors ?
Also to me, you need two entrances because you can't predict where the pigglet is gonna go.

It seems like ancient walls and locked doors is the best solution (as long as boar can't pass throught doors) to not be grieffed. Tho, it annoyes me that you don't have direct access to storage to quickly feed pig and remove its meat.

Bad new, I built a pen this morning, using double 5 railroads and the boar escaped while I was off screen. I don't understand why, it shouldn't have, and the pig never escaped.

it's unremovable but you can stand on it, animals can't step on it, and can't run across you if it's near a wall.
You can use a rope and take it near a table, kill there and sack some kindling nearby with bowls, or they take it to the oven again and again.
as you see Coconut used soil, you would need to till it and plant wheat or milkweed to remove it
Normal waystone needs an elder receipt to remove, ancient will stay, also has a message on it, like 'made by duckgirl' or 'don't kill the hog', corner pieces always functioned that way, you could stick a home marker or stakes on the tile but you want the griefer to spend more time removing it
Gates are fine but think about that it's easily removed so animals run out, locked doors need a key but can stay open, only that someone can close it on someone else, one-way exits are good in that case, they don't have to have a key but they can't go back until the key owner opens it again
Griefers are a thing but noobs grief towns too, and accidents can happen. Does anyone think that a locked door should stay open when opened and a key should be used to close it not bare hands? same for chests. I mean it's faster when people run after you but that stupidity never made sense anyway..

In theory, you don't have to lock it at all, gates use 3 shafts, an extra wall is used so it closes the diagonal, and an extra item, which is a door in this case, if you cut it and move it they can move out, but same for gates, and 2-3 directions then. Doors won't stop their movement while open, only if there is an item other side.

yeah it's flawed, I didn't account for the ordering, but almost same resource-wise, you don't need 2 entrances but 2x2 in size so they can move around or you move next to the other tile, you only got 1 pig so you need 3 slots at least and both X axis and Y so they move or you move. 1x3 would be fine but same issue if they feed 2 pigs, the order might be bad.

One time I made 5 rows of berry as walls, but it seems that when the lamb detached from the sheep, sometimes it pushes trough the 5 tiles, I'm not sure how, I think when they detach on the side, the lamb moves forward anyway, so then the check happens afterwards.

dZ0u3Kr.png

bBHnWI3.png

Last edited by pein (2021-01-11 11:42:12)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2021-01-11 11:56:37

pein

cKydmvW.png

Just noticed that if you fill the pen and no open tiles, one would starve holding the bow with no backpack or storage or empty tile to put to, so using normal doors won't stop griefers but karma gets them after the fact that they kill the piggy

Do springy doors now open like gates? haven't played in a while

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2021-01-12 08:53:21

MrsDuckGirl

So I checked and the boar can pass through doors and springy doors. Tho it can't go through fences.
Also yes, springy doors now automatically open like gates, so the one way door isn't a thing anymore.

#12 2021-01-12 15:01:11

pein

MrsDuckGirl wrote:

So I checked and the boar can pass through doors and springy doors. Tho it can't go through fences.
Also yes, springy doors now automatically open like gates, so the one way door isn't a thing anymore.

they can but acts as an item anyway

you can still have one way out or in just not automatic anymore, like you got to go around and close it, and only use as an emergency exit when someone shuts a closed-door on you
completely un-griefable buildings are a pain in the ass, I mean they could release a pig and that's the worst-case scenario, so only a locked door is safe and hard to remove but lets you trough and controls movement

the main question is do you ever go back to that town? in YAH I can go back using Lilly petals so is worth doing permanent solutions

there are practical uses to one-way doors:
-go in and never come out (griefers could do it), acts as a prison
-go in and no one can follow until you come out (need a failsafe in case you die inside), good for a composter fence or kilns, no one goes in while you work, and they can go in afterwards
-go in one side then you can only go in other side (crowd control with long rooms)
-lure a griefer in and close it on him from other side
-go in but  you can only go out having items or knowledge or both, for example in a shaft that closes on you, would need another person and up to 6 keys which is only doable with perfect clothing for the job

in yah, there are no waystones but there are torch bases which is a stone block with a drilled hole, and you put a yew branch in it, unmoveable unttil finished but lets you go trough it, then u cut with an axe, add a medium wool ball and then you can move it. so I'm indirectly forcing griefers and noobs to make me torches big_smile and you can dip a torch into a tarry spot and use it for an hour to light fires, no more firewood issues and you can burn mosquitoes with it.

The other thing I haven't done yet, is an admin room. Basically storing seeds and tools to restart a town but no access to plebs who would ruin it.

#13 2021-01-13 02:37:42

NoTruePunk

Corn is cheap :shrug:

#14 2021-01-13 11:37:25

pein

NoTruePunk wrote:

Corn is cheap :shrug:

if it can be cheaper, why not?

remember the time when people planted huge berry fields and hated cisterns?
it took some convincing to do proper flooring and parcelled farms, it's the same principle

the real issue with pork is that people take it to oven 1000x and you never have enough bowls to cook it

Last edited by pein (2021-01-13 11:53:45)

Board footer