One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-14 03:46:52

Spoonwood

Problem: Not Enough Uses for Garlic

Garlic is consistently over planted, even before the latest field of garlic:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ … nknown.png

Or could garlic made so that it works differently so that it would get planted less?

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-12-14 03:47:49)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2020-12-14 03:59:53

Uncreative Guy

Re: Problem: Not Enough Uses for Garlic

The main problem is that newer players think that domestic garlic is edible because wild garlic is.  They farm a ton of it like they would any other crop, and then they get disappointed when they realize that they created a stack of useless bulbs that will be used for grave markers at best.  This could be avoided if domestic garlic was edible, but I guess that isn’t entirely realistic.  However, garlic is one of the most used spices in the world, and it would only make sense, and solve this problem, if it were included in a bunch of recipes.

Garlic bread, mashed potatoes with garlic, potato soup with garlic, garlic flavored chips, and garlic dry rubs for all meats are some examples I can think of off the top of my head, that only include other OHOL ingredients.  I feel like garlic could be made into a truly special crop if it was given 20 or so different recipes where it’s never eaten on its own, but used to create lots of yum foods.  I’d be happy if Jason came back with a ‘garlic and potato update’ to give both crops a bunch more uses in foods.

Also, can we talk about how it only stacks in stacks of 5!  This is so annoying and doesn’t make any sense when everything else stacks in 6.  This just creates more useless garlic piles!

I’m not creative enough to make a creative signature which explains my noncreative nickname of Uncreative Guy.

#3 2020-12-14 04:10:06

gamatron332

Spoon I think we both know you don’t need any garlic. How would you suck the life outta the forums? Tsk tsk

I’m Gama I flaunt my ideas, and I’m fabulous
But I’ve allready said too much.

#4 2020-12-14 07:00:57

DestinyCall

Garlic is necessary in every village as a protection against vampires.   At least one full pile should be available at all times, lest the undead rise to destroy us.

#5 2020-12-14 07:25:32

Eboy

Where you the one who griefed a town by planting garlic everywhere

Pretty sus that someone does that and then you post about it an hour later.

Last edited by Eboy (2020-12-14 07:26:16)

#6 2020-12-14 11:41:41

Lizzee

Jason make a new recipe. Potato soup. Fill a crock with uncooked potatoes add an onion, garlic and a bowl of cream. The crock must then be cooked and stirred with a stomper spoon.

#7 2020-12-14 13:55:12

Spoonwood

Eboy wrote:

Where you the one who griefed a town by planting garlic everywhere

Pretty sus that someone does that and then you post about it an hour later.

That was not me.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-12-14 19:40:11)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2020-12-14 14:11:31

Morti

#9 2020-12-14 15:43:27

sigmen4020

Garlic bread and potatoes when

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#10 2020-12-15 08:22:36

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

reee

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#11 2020-12-15 08:25:17

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

sdasd
wdfsadas
ghdghddg
yyyyyyy
wddd

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#12 2020-12-15 13:21:20

WumboJumbo

Next thing you know, Jason will add landfills and pollution. Then the world of One Hour One Life will truly look like an impoverished nation with overflowing garbage problems (all thanks to garlic). big_smile

#13 2020-12-15 19:08:00

PeaGirl

I wonder why garlic is not edible. I myself have eaten a glove raw once (well, more like sucking on it, very good for C-vitamin). It was suggested by a lady passing by with her bicycle.
Or give garlic more uses than pickle crock. Perhaps use garlic with butter to make a new variant for bread and butter.
Or perhaps OHOL's very own garlic deodorant? Use cut garlic glove on mouth to apply it on virtually smelly armpits.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#14 2020-12-15 19:19:35

DestinyCall

Or let us throw garlic in a trash pit, add it to compost piles, or feed it to sheep to de-clutter our villages.

#15 2020-12-19 10:15:21

NoTruePunk

PeaGirl wrote:

I wonder why garlic is not edible. I myself have eaten a glove raw once (well, more like sucking on it, very good for C-vitamin). It was suggested by a lady passing by with her bicycle.
Or give garlic more uses than pickle crock. Perhaps use garlic with butter to make a new variant for bread and butter.
Or perhaps OHOL's very own garlic deodorant? Use cut garlic glove on mouth to apply it on virtually smelly armpits.

Eating garlic is about as fun as eating raw onion, so why not? A yum is a yum.

#16 2020-12-19 11:11:07

Morti

Let's domesticate nanners.

#17 2020-12-21 03:19:37

antking:]#

Morti wrote:

Problem is that the bananas we see in our jungle biomes are already domesticated because they are the stereotypical yellow, curvy bananas that  we like to think are "regular" bananas. so to domesticate bananas Jason would have to make an wild nanners. So I don't think it will happen, even though I myself wish we could farm bananas.

tho in a wierd way having only domesticated bananas in jungles sorta fits into the lore or OHOL, and explains why we can't grow new banana tree. fun fact you can't grow a banana tree form a "regular" banana because it is do generically inbreed, to itself the only way we make more tree in real life is using cuttings

Last edited by antking:]# (2020-12-21 03:24:21)

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#18 2020-12-21 04:44:43

wio

I like the idea of making minced or powdered garlic.

#19 2020-12-21 15:03:47

NoTruePunk

antking:]# wrote:
Morti wrote:

Problem is that the bananas we see in our jungle biomes are already domesticated because they are the stereotypical yellow, curvy bananas that  we like to think are "regular" bananas. so to domesticate bananas Jason would have to make an wild nanners. So I don't think it will happen, even though I myself wish we could farm bananas.

tho in a wierd way having only domesticated bananas in jungles sorta fits into the lore or OHOL, and explains why we can't grow new banana tree. fun fact you can't grow a banana tree form a "regular" banana because it is do generically inbreed, to itself the only way we make more tree in real life is using cuttings

Lol, what? You know what plantains are? It's true that there are different kinds of bananas but they don't need to be domesticated, they're like coconut. That's just how bananas are in the wild because of monkeys.

#20 2020-12-21 15:30:46

sigmen4020

Jason need to add vampires to the game, so we can use garlic as a weapon.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#21 2020-12-21 17:17:49

StrongForce

Make it produce one garlic per planted seed instead of 4

Baby dance!!

#22 2020-12-21 18:50:49

Berry High Priest

I think a crusade on garlic would be fitting.
Remove all its plants and stop its production
Occupy its plots with more useful crops like for example berries.
This way the devils testicles can’t be replanted.
Once you rid your towns of this hellish fruit you shall take a horse and help other towns to get rid of their sins

Kind regards,
Your friendly gooseberry gentleman neighbor.

#23 2020-12-21 19:42:29

antking:]#

NoTruePunk wrote:
antking:]# wrote:
Morti wrote:

Lol, what? You know what plantains are? It's true that there are different kinds of bananas but they don't need to be domesticated, they're like coconut. That's just how bananas are in the wild because of monkeys.

We eat domesticated bananas, saying that the bananas we eat are wild bananas is like saying seedless watermelons are wild watermelons, just look up: "do we eat domesticated bananas" and you'll learn the truth about the banana.

but you are right about coconuts and how we eat their wild variant

now for the garlic discussion we should be able to tie up a stack of garlic on a rope and hang them up on walls, this is called a garlic garland
https://www.humphreysfarm.com/productca … 611-lg.jpg

because why give something a use when you can just store it?

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#24 2020-12-21 21:17:32

MrsDuckGirl

I once went to New Caledonia and got amazed of how many different bananas they had. And I'm talking about domesticated bananas. America and Europe quite only know the long, thin and round banana (Cavendish) but some are small and thick, some are more squared... The flesh has the same aspect but the texture and taste aren't the same as the Cavendish. Look at this man holding two kinds of banana (I can't remember their names, sorry):
YvOpBzm.jpg
Fun fact : they don't grow on the tree like the man is holding them, nor like we see them in game, and nor like the Cavendish, they grow in the other direction, their "butt" toward the sky.

About the garlic, our grandmothers (at least here) advice us to eat one clove when you feel you're gonna get a cold or the flu (maybe because of its vitamins). So yes, it's as "disgusting" as eating raw onions, but you can eat it raw.

We also stick some into pork or mutton before cooking the meat, it adds flavour.

You can also rub toasted bread with garlic before putting it into your fish soup.

And yes you can braid garlic, but it's easier with their stems (please no more recipie using milkweed, nobody plants it) :
Braided-Garlic-Cover1.jpg?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi0.wp.com%2Ftheprudentgarden.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F05%2FBraided-Garlic-Cover1.jpg%3Ffit%3D683%252C1024%26ssl%3D1&q=0&b=1&p=0&a=1

Garlic is the new tomato/onion problem. You barely can do anything with it, and it's gonna take ages to be fixed.

#25 2020-12-21 21:25:36

DestinyCall

The classic supermarket banana is sterile and farmers propagate it using cuttings, but it is not the only curved yellow banana in the world.  There are lots of different species of banana in the tropics that look similar.  The OHOL banana trees could be based on one of those bananas which are closer to "wild type" than the Cavendish banana.

Of course, even if the bananas in OHOL are based on supermarket bananas and sterile, they should be farmable by taking cuttings.  And we already reproduce all other trees in OHOL by taking cuttings, so farmable bananas is a totally reasonable extension of that idea.  Also all other trees, except for the mango, have only a single type - no need for a wild type and a domestic type.   Just make nanners work like the other trees.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-12-21 21:28:00)

Board footer