One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-05 18:13:38

Caprys

All Eve fams in jungle band

I spawned in as a ginger Eve next to an abandoned jungle town. There was a bb with me from the start. Other eve's of every race showed up at the same time. All had a bb from the start. I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen. Shouldn't you spawn in your own band?

#2 2020-12-05 18:17:39

wondible

Re: All Eve fams in jungle band

Maybe you overflowed onto server1 and started out in lowpop mode? Band placement of eves only works when biome restrictions are in effect I think.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#3 2020-12-05 20:11:17

Spoonwood

Caprys wrote:

I spawned in as a ginger Eve next to an abandoned jungle town. There was a bb with me from the start. Other eve's of every race showed up at the same time. All had a bb from the start. I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen. Shouldn't you spawn in your own band?

Not necessarily no.  The babies and Eves showing up right away suggests that you were playing during the update period either on server1 or on bs2 (both get used by players not checking a custom server).  When a server has less than 15 players on it, Eves spawn outside of their bands like how they did before (but closer together from what I hear).  That got put intentionally into the code, and enables Eve chaining on servers where Eve chaining is possible.

I do see how such can be confusing for bs2 or s1, but I think it has another positive aspect which I think substantial.

It had been a longstanding issue that Eves during server restart can easily get inundated with babies.  With the 15 player requirement for band based fertility, any initial Eves ends up infertile soon enough if she doesn't move to her preassigned band and likewise for her children.  That can result in fewer babies getting pushed onto the Eves.  The result seems smaller families initially during a restart period, and that means there's very little, if any, substantial reason for an Eve to abandon children, or at least less reason to do so than Eves had before.  Your daughter or two or three daughters really have importance for your lineage in such a situation also.  That's the positive aspect that I think substantial.  At least, that seems like what happened during the first server restart under the biome band system which I tried to analyze here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 60#p102660 (I didn't check for this update period), and I would guess what you've talked about consistent with that.

With respect to your lineage surviving for a decent amount of time, I suggest getting one or many of your children to move to their fertility area.  If one understands the bands and fertility, one can control whether one has fertility possibility or not also while setting her camp up.  Though, maybe it's better to just find a good spot in your band and not worry about controlling fertility too much.  It probably wouldn't be an issue to get to your band before 35 and still likely have another child if your initial child/children didn't survive, correct?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2020-12-05 20:15:43

Spoonwood

wondible wrote:

Maybe you overflowed onto server1 and started out in lowpop mode? Band placement of eves only works when biome restrictions are in effect I think.

Band placement of Eves only exists when there exist at least 15 active players on a server.  I did read/scan the code and it says something like "minActivePlayers = 15" as the condition for bands to be active.  That happens for bs2 also.  The code is referenced in the post where Jason asks for people to check the code before the band update happened.  And, of course, there's a note on live-dev-changes.

Danish Clinch.

#5 2020-12-06 15:10:40

Caprys

Thanks for the replies. It's probably not a bug then.

#6 2020-12-06 16:22:52

Spoonwood

You're welcome Caprys!

Danish Clinch.

Board footer