One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-03 21:47:21

QuirkySmirkyIan

Rabbit or Cloth Clothes?

What would you consider to be better to make? Debate in the replies below.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#2 2020-12-03 21:50:37

Eve Troll

Re: Rabbit or Cloth Clothes?

Cloth. Always cloth. They dont decay.

#3 2020-12-03 22:19:34

Uncreative Guy

Rabbit clothes are warmer, but decay after a while.

Cloth clothes stay forever and look prettier, but are less warm.

Both are good in their own ways.  If clothes are desperately needed, go for rabbit.  If a loom is available, always make more cloth clothes, as well.

Last edited by Uncreative Guy (2020-12-03 22:20:17)

I’m not creative enough to make a creative signature which explains my noncreative nickname of Uncreative Guy.

#4 2020-12-03 22:29:11

Caprys

Eve Troll wrote:

Really? When did that change? I was sure that they decay and you could make them last longer by dyeing them.

#5 2020-12-03 22:45:08

Spoonwood

Caprys wrote:
Eve Troll wrote:

Really? When did that change? I was sure that they decay and you could make them last longer by dyeing them.

If referring to clothes made from the loom, they haven't decayed since they got released.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2020-12-03 22:49:02

DestinyCall

Wool is the worst.   Never make wool clothing

Except Santa Hats.

#7 2020-12-03 23:06:39

Coconut Fruit

In Eve camps wolf hats and mouflon hides are the easiest and fastest to get - one person can easily get whole family dressed with them. Some rabbits for loincloths and rabbit shoes. - That's the best beginning I think.

Later on I would always pick cloth clothes, because they look prettier. Having a little less insulation makes no difference (or very little) for yummers.

Tho I don't like when people feed sheep just to get wool and make clothes out of it. Feed lambs (from dimestic mouflons), always.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#8 2020-12-04 13:59:06

QuirkySmirkyIan

Coconut Fruit wrote:

In Eve camps wolf hats and mouflon hides are the easiest and fastest to get - one person can easily get whole family dressed with them. Some rabbits for loincloths and rabbit shoes. - That's the best beginning I think.

Later on I would always pick cloth clothes, because they look prettier. Having a little less insulation makes no difference (or very little) for yummers.

Tho I don't like when people feed sheep just to get wool and make clothes out of it. Feed lambs (from dimestic mouflons), always.

Then every town needs 6 mouflon in the pen.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#9 2020-12-04 14:09:33

StrongForce

Wooden shoes are way better than rabbit shoes
Dont decay also super easy to make.

Dont forget the extra slot of cloth pants.

Anything is way better than naked. Iike sheepskins since you can make them into clothes later and also feed the town

Baby dance!!

#10 2020-12-04 14:41:38

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I've been a fan of getting massive amounts of Seal Skins and bringing them around. It's very warm easy to get clothes.

I also usually do a ~200 wide search around the town for dead bodies and abandoned clothes. You guys would be fucking SHOCKED to see how much shit is thrown behind trees. People hide entire outfits behind some random tree 100 tiles away.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#11 2020-12-04 16:17:55

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

Wool is the worst.   Never make wool clothing

Except Santa Hats.

I saw on Twisted's stream the other day someone (it wasn't Twister) making a wool sweater, and then I think he started making a second one.  I doubt that such a person had realized about clothing alternatives.  Looking things up, 6 fleece is needed to make a wool sweater.  It gives you 24.5% insulation and decays after 5 hours into a rag shirt which has 14% insulation and takes 30 minutes to decay to nothingness.  5 bowler hats might get made with that 6 fleece (1 fleece used to make another ball of thread and needle).  A bowler hat provides 15% insulation and does not decay.  Village wise, one person with one wool sweater gets one-third the insulation of the total insulation for 5 bowler hats.  And the bowler hats do not decay.  And they clothe more people, which seems like an even more pressing issue having watched so many naked/half-naked players on streamers who are starving or soon to be starving quickly in future lives if they keep playing.

Wool hats cost 4 fleece for 17.5%.  They also decay, and bowler hats likewise end up better for a naked or near-naked village.

Wool booties cost 2 fleece for 7% insulation.  Wool booties also decay.  Bowler hats at 15% insulation again end up better.

Santa hats I've liked in low pop, and I remember someone asking me "is that why you're always wearing a Santa hat?"  I played with a person who went by Frost who told me before I got to that point who said "Santa hat does not decay" and learned from him/her that it was the warmest hat that didn't decay.  The santa hat is 18.75% insulation.  But, the santa hat costs 5 fleece to make.  That's between 4 and 5 bowler hats to make.  In a naked village, and even one where many players don't have hats, especially new players, I'd argue that the bowler hats *still* end up better.

Also, even in a clothed village, wool clothing takes fleece away from producing loom clothing once a loom exists.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2020-12-04 16:29:13

Spoonwood

StrongForce wrote:

Anything is way better than naked. Iike sheepskins since you can make them into clothes later and also feed the town

I remember arguing, in the sense of making connected series of propositions, with Tarr about wooden shoes vs. rabbit shoes.  As you know StrongForce, rabbit shoes come along with rabbit meat.  It's 8.5% for a rabbit fur shoe, and 6% insulation for a wooden shoe.  A wooden shoe comes along with 2 firewood, a stump, an axe use, a shovel use, and possibly more cleared space (though the dug up stump might not happen).   2 adze uses for a wooden shoe, or one use on an partially used mallet.  Stitching cost for a rabbit fur shoe.  Wooden shoes provide more value overall for a village that lasts long enough.  If a village lasts a short amount of time though, rabbit fur shoes might be better.  I think I'd still pick wooden shoes though, in case the village gets scavenged.

Danish Clinch.

#13 2020-12-04 16:38:49

Spoonwood

QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:
Coconut Fruit wrote:

It strikes me as a bit risky to have 6 mouflon in the pen, especially with mouflon hides on people.  Maybe badlands aren't usually too far away for 6 mouflon in a pen, but if they are, when someone has to go get another mouflon might take a long time (though maybe things wouldn't be that bad).  A second pen with a regular entrance, a space, then a property gate to lock up a mouflon if not some sheep might be advised.  Possibly even a first pen like that.

I'm also not so sure about rabbit shoes being faster than wooden shoes.  Wooden shoes might be faster.  The village will need butt logs for carts and a stanchion kit, if not two stanchion kits quickly.  An early table might be worth it for early burrito making/storage.  Early boxes are good too.  There's also the meat from rabbit fur shoes.  I think I'd make some wooden shoes, but not overdo them early on.  I'd think a balance between rabbit fur shoes and wooden shoes early on best.

Wolf hats seem like a no-brainer to me.  Someone will likely enough go out exploring and likely enough get killed by a local wolf, and that becomes less likely with wolf hats.  I don't know of any serious disadvantages to a wolf hat, other than decay, and other hats can get made later, or in conjunction with wolf hats once a pen with sheep is up.

I don't know why one who has thought about it thoroughly, would ever pick a reed skirt over a rabbit fur loincloth unless starting from scratch as an Eve perhaps, since reed skirts decay in 5 hours.  And even as an Eve starting from scratch I think waiting for a rabbit fur loincloth is better, or just going without clothes or going with a mouflon hide maybe as an Eve likely ends up better.  Reed skirts cost a lot also, and I think they only have value if milkweed *from the wild* would otherwise sit around and never get used. 

That said, sealskins as Eve I do think worth the time, or at least they can be if close enough and say wearing one will carrying another back to camp.  And I agree with Slinky about seal skins.  I've had a few lives also where I got people sealskins.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-12-04 17:09:25)

Danish Clinch.

#14 2020-12-04 17:49:58

DestinyCall

Six mouflon probably isn't necessary, but three or four mouflon can make fleece production much easier.    There's not much point worrying about running out of wild mouflon.   We move westward so quickly, it is unlikely to be a real concern during the natural lifespan of the average town, unless you are very unlucky.

#15 2020-12-04 17:51:53

NoTruePunk

Spoonwood wrote:
QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:
Coconut Fruit wrote:

It strikes me as a bit risky to have 6 mouflon in the pen, especially with mouflon hides on people.  Maybe badlands aren't usually too far away for 6 mouflon in a pen, but if they are, when someone has to go get another mouflon might take a long time (though maybe things wouldn't be that bad).  A second pen with a regular entrance, a space, then a property gate to lock up a mouflon if not some sheep might be advised.  Possibly even a first pen like that.

I'm also not so sure about rabbit shoes being faster than wooden shoes.  Wooden shoes might be faster.  The village will need butt logs for carts and a stanchion kit, if not two stanchion kits quickly.  An early table might be worth it for early burrito making/storage.  Early boxes are good too.  There's also the meat from rabbit fur shoes.  I think I'd make some wooden shoes, but not overdo them early on.  I'd think a balance between rabbit fur shoes and wooden shoes early on best.

Wolf hats seem like a no-brainer to me.  Someone will likely enough go out exploring and likely enough get killed by a local wolf, and that becomes less likely with wolf hats.  I don't know of any serious disadvantages to a wolf hat, other than decay, and other hats can get made later, or in conjunction with wolf hats once a pen with sheep is up.

I don't know why one who has thought about it thoroughly, would ever pick a reed skirt over a rabbit fur loincloth unless starting from scratch as an Eve perhaps, since reed skirts decay in 5 hours.  And even as an Eve starting from scratch I think waiting for a rabbit fur loincloth is better, or just going without clothes or going with a mouflon hide maybe as an Eve likely ends up better.  Reed skirts cost a lot also, and I think they only have value if milkweed *from the wild* would otherwise sit around and never get used. 

That said, sealskins as Eve I do think worth the time, or at least they can be if close enough and say wearing one will carrying another back to camp.  And I agree with Slinky about seal skins.  I've had a few lives also where I got people sealskins.

I've been making reed skirts up until recent, after finding out that they decay now. They used to be permanent.

#16 2020-12-04 18:14:34

DestinyCall

Yeah, I hadn't heard about reed skirt decay.   I'm actually happy to hear this.   It never made sense to me that reed skirts lasted forever.  Looks like straw hats also decay now.   

So if you want immortal clothing, you need to make loom clothing, santa hats, or aprons.    Wooden shoes and backpacks too.

Definitely invest in some proper loom clothing as soon as you can.

#17 2020-12-04 20:25:08

Morti

#18 2020-12-04 20:28:05

Morti

#19 2020-12-04 20:39:48

NoTruePunk

Spoonwood wrote:
StrongForce wrote:

I remember arguing, in the sense of making connected series of propositions, with Tarr about wooden shoes vs. rabbit shoes.  As you know StrongForce, rabbit shoes come along with rabbit meat.  It's 8.5% for a rabbit fur shoe, and 6% insulation for a wooden shoe.  A wooden shoe comes along with 2 firewood, a stump, an axe use, a shovel use, and possibly more cleared space (though the dug up stump might not happen).   2 adze uses for a wooden shoe, or one use on an partially used mallet.  Stitching cost for a rabbit fur shoe.  Wooden shoes provide more value overall for a village that lasts long enough.  If a village lasts a short amount of time though, rabbit fur shoes might be better.  I think I'd still pick wooden shoes though, in case the village gets scavenged.

Early on you need thread for rope, and later once you get spindle thread you should be focused on non-decaying clothes.

Wooden shoes all the way

#20 2020-12-06 20:19:34

pein

storage, packs before anything, especially with yum, clothes are not as important
packs, aprons and pants, the only thing I don't like about wolf hat is that covers bp, but you can farm wolves too.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer