One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-19 09:51:30

Eve Troll

Wow, trading is a prefect system with rich dynamics!

Just spent a life trying to get yellow  and black dye as a ginger from the brown family. I wrote a note saying i needed sugar cane and cow urine. They had no problem getting me cow urine when i first got there.

Heres where it gets interesting. They had no rubber ball so i had no ability to edit my message. I picked up the same message over an over repeating sugar cane in my families dialect. Very few would pick it up and when they did they did nothing. Literally they understood how to make yellow dye and made it within a few minutes and gave it to me. But cutting down some sugar cane was impossible. I spent ten minutes trying to get sugar cane from them and guess what... their leader stabs me.

This is your trading jason. Man its great. That was such a fulfilling life i wasted just trying to get some resources for yellow and black dye just to have it sit there.

Also such a testament to the wonders of memescore leadership. Lets be real. Most people who climb the memescore ladder dont get things done. They are either cooks or layabout moms. There are a few who are high in gene score that actually do work but they are the minority. Your system is broken and its time to do something about it. Someone could pump 72 tanks of oil in 3 lives but its impossible to get a few resources for dyes in one..

I was also a twin and couldnt curse them.

Ironic how i spelled perfect wrong in the title of this thread.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2020-11-19 10:16:32)

#2 2020-11-19 10:30:00

Dodge

Re: Wow, trading is a prefect system with rich dynamics!

There should always be a choice, you can either choose option a or b (or c,b,d etc), but with the current biome restriction there is no choice, there is only one option, you HAVE to find the other family to "trade" with them.

Not only it makes the game very linear and boring it also causes that type of frustration where if the family you want to "trade" with is either uninterested, doesn't understand or wathever other reason you cant force them to cut sugar cane for example so you're stuck.

At the same time completely allowing players to do everything also has the same issue because then you dont have to choose between options it's also linear but in the other way, you can always do that action so there's no thinking about it, it's one sad branch instead of a full tree of possibilities and options.

So how do you at the same time allow someone who is not native from a biome to access the ressources from that biome but make it somehow also an interesting option to trade with the native people from that biome?

You could simply make the browns for example, immune to mosquitoes and being comfortable with jungle temperatures and other races struggling with jungle temperatures, so another race could go in the biome and get ressources but it would be much dangerous and risk dying OR they could trade with brown people to get these ressources, the option would be there.

But this wouldn't work because then you could just plant latex and plam trees at the border of the jungle and never have to actually go in the jungle to get the ressources (all the other exploits like horse ridding etc could be easily fixable) so you would avoid all the dangers of the jungle and just get the ressources.

There is a way though, Jason mentionned that it would be possible to generate the map from a drawing, a paint PNG or JPG file for example, this would allow to shape biomes a specific way and even add other biomes around the existing one, so for example the deep jungle would be in the center and around it would be a thicc layer of jungle.

Only the deep jungle would have latex and palm trees and the jungle layer around it would be filled with mosquitoes and have the hotter jungle temperature, so in order to get latex or palm you would have to cross a layer jungle infested with mosquitoes and hotter temperatures, browns would easily get to the center being immune to them and comfortable in their native biome.

So you would have to choice to either risk it and go trough the jungle to get to the deeper jungle and get ressources OR trade with brown people to get them, the same model could easily be applied to other special biomes.

Example of maps:

draft4.png

draft4-Copie.png

Last edited by Dodge (2020-11-19 18:42:22)

#3 2020-11-19 11:07:36

Spoonwood

It gets worse.  No jungle experts in the middle of a Wednesday afternoon, then one in DonkeyTown, then new players/players who don't use Hetuw or care, and don't know what a knife, buckets, and bowls imply: https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/712

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2020-11-19 11:13:14

Spoonwood

Cooks are useful.  I don't know why you're downplaying them.  Even under the old food system, if/when you could get multiple food types, cooks were useful for yum purposes or filling food types.  Good cooks deserve geme score points as much as smiths, even though smithing is usually more complex, because smithing is indirectly connected to survival/ease of play, while cooking is directly connected to survival/ease of play.  One can't eat iron, but one can eat bread.

I do agree though that it's messed up that those doing oil get worse gene score since they often use /die there. Or players trying to help out the server otherwise to do rubber using /die or trying to keep a lineage going also get the short end of the gene score stick.

Danish Clinch.

#5 2020-11-19 11:20:15

Eve Troll

Is the world coming to an end or am i agreeing with dodge and spoonwood at the same time.

Really liked your point abour linear mechanics making things boring. Personally i think we are on the wrong side of that coin but a middle ground would probably be more favorable. Not sure what that would look like. Challenge is the essence of this game and i agree reverting back to no restrictions would make things easier. There has to be something else though that would promote family interactions and stability without making the game easier. Spawns seems to be the main factor. Pushing families kilometers a day killing towns, families, and resources. There has to be something better than this.

#6 2020-11-19 11:28:47

Spoonwood

I don't agree that challenge is the essence of the game.  There is no challenge worthy of the name in picking a child up, even for new players.  Also, the challenge level would still likely be extremely high if we went back to the old system and a server even mostly full of new players.  They wouldn't understand the water process or the technology involved.  I heard recently of someone who started during the September sale, studies the game by reading notes and such, and had to make a pump valve more recently, and had to basically spend most to all of that character's life just making a pump valve.

Danish Clinch.

#7 2020-11-19 11:34:41

Eve Troll

And yea spoon. Didnt mean to throw shade on cooks. Just that cooks are the furthest extension away from core resources like water and and iron. Smiths rely on iron and oil, farmers rely on water and iron, cooks rely on water and farmers. Often farmers and cooks are one in the same. Civilizations cannot exist without a steady supply of oil, which makes iron but also costs iron and water. Oil makes water which is the life blood of any civ. Farmers use that water too make food and cooks turn those base foods into more complex foods. Cooking is a comfortable place to be. Its usually close to the nursery, making having kids easy. I mainly mean if you want to do more of the brutal tasks like drilling oil, or scavenging old settlements its a heavy burn on your gene score. Especially with the banding change.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2020-11-19 12:00:38)

#8 2020-11-19 11:38:56

Eve Troll

Yea i dont mean vague challenge but just raw challenge. Currently the systems are too complex for anyone to grasp without an extreme amount of external effort. That kind of challenge is bad. But stuff like navigating the badlands, jungles, deserts, and searching for rare resources are fulfilling challenges. Those kind of challenges are what attracted me to the game and why i still get thrill every time i live a life.

#9 2020-11-20 03:26:10

pein

Can relate, I was bringing all the shit needed for oil, I refreshed a city for 6 hours, I made a bell, third in the world.
Took me 10 minutes of telling them to bring shit and then the only ginger girl came with us, made a fire in the ice and went back saying 'hello'. And I even had some enthusiastic whites to translate. If you can't do it you don't do it, if you can do it, you already done it, no need to tell you. The leader system is crap, if you got time to become a leader, you already got the wrong priorities.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2020-11-20 09:10:00

Spoonwood

pein wrote:

The leader system is crap, if you got time to become a leader, you already got the wrong priorities.

I don't agree with the latter part.  If you don't use /die, consistently live to 60, cloth children when you have them, maybe try to help new players, all of which sound like good priorities, since using /die is seen as rude by new players and perhaps some vets also, getting leadership doesn't strike me as overly difficult usually.

That said, I agree that the leadership system is crap.  Jason even got a bug report about how it shouldn't get inherited when far away from town: https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/700  But, he responded that inherited leadership for someone far away from home was "... working as intended."  Last night I went from Sinatras - Blacks to Loves - Gingers as Princess Sinatra http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=6759229.  I inherited leadership sometime, and then one of my family members shows up on a horse, asking what I was doing.  I told him about the issue and how it was closed, and yeah, I wasn't going home.  Honestly, I'm baffled on Jason's response on that one.  Anyways, next life I got lucky and was a tan Gagan Phoenix: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=6759467  So, I got the latex and palm oil for the sulfur bowls I had left by the specialty rubber oven I had made, and cooked the rubber from the materials I had gathered myself over two lives.  Also, in both lives I tried to stay out of the desert or jungle during my fertility period.  If I hadn't done that, and maybe even had a wolf bite me before sixty or starved early, I guess I could have gotten the rubber cooked sooner.

Oh, also, Pein since you haven't played and assume you haven't, usually these days Gingers, or someone else looting a dead town, will often just roll up to a town rather early on, even shallow well stage early sometimes, and put tanks of crude oil or kerosene inside of a property fence.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-11-20 09:11:05)

Danish Clinch.

#11 2020-11-20 13:45:47

NoTruePunk

I've been getting leader around high 40s low 50s. I use /die sometimes when a fam is about to die out and needs girls, and never force feed AFK babies. Leadership system is moderately broken, but only because some people meme up their score artificially. Most people are genuinely bad at the game and can't maintain a meme score of even 45

Board footer