One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-04 13:47:11

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Another report from the road (again)

You're probably wondering what's going on with this week's update.

Wildfire smoke got bad in our hometown of Davis again (new "Glass" fire in Napa).  At this point, we've logged almost 7 solid weeks of unbreathable air, with only a few days here and there where we could actually go outside.

So, we're on the road again, driving across the country as a family, and investigating other places to live, potentially.  New Hampshire is at the top of the list, currently, but we're still not sure about it.

With election season (including October surprises), COVID, and continued riots here in the US....  it's a wild and uncertain time, for sure.

Updates will be on hold for at least a week or two.  At some point, we'll be stopping for a while in the NYC area, and I should be able to at least tackle some bugs for an update or two from the road (but I don't have a scanner or light table with me on this trip).

And if anything goes terribly wrong in my absence (like major server outages or whatever), please email me:  jasonrohrer AT fastmail DOT fm

Wondible just emailed me about some trouble with the public data server, which I'll look into and fix from the next hotel stop (Lincoln, NE).

#2 2020-10-04 16:11:09

Arcurus

Re: Another report from the road (again)

jasonrohrer wrote:

Wildfire smoke got bad in our hometown of Davis again (new "Glass" fire in Napa).  At this point, we've logged almost 7 solid weeks of unbreathable air, with only a few days here and there where we could actually go outside.

So, we're on the road again, driving across the country as a family, and investigating other places to live, potentially.  New Hampshire is at the top of the list, currently, but we're still not sure about it.

With election season (including October surprises), COVID, and continued riots here in the US....  it's a wild and uncertain time, for sure.

looks really like Amerika is burning down.

Hope you and your family go though this well! All the blessings from for now quite boring Germany!

#3 2020-10-04 17:30:04

QuirkySmirkyIan

jasonrohrer wrote:

Updates will be on hold for at least a week or two.  At some point, we'll be stopping for a while in the NYC area, and I should be able to at least tackle some bugs for an update or two from the road (but I don't have a scanner or light table with me on this trip).

And if anything goes terribly wrong in my absence (like major server outages or whatever), please email me:  jasonrohrer AT fastmail DOT fm

Wondible just emailed me about some trouble with the public data server, which I'll look into and fix from the next hotel stop (Lincoln, NE).

Stay safe Jason

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#4 2020-10-04 18:48:36

karltown_veteran

Stay safe! Glad I'm up in IL where the air is clean!

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#5 2020-10-05 11:57:53

Gogo
Banned

Good luck with finding new place to live.

#6 2020-10-06 03:25:28

Grim_Arbiter

God damn J, I'm sorry you guys have been held hostage like this. I hope you find a new home soon.

Curious, why New Hampshire? Family?

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#7 2020-10-06 22:09:46

NoTruePunk

I hear WA is accepting climate refugees. Just don't drain our rivers and lakes pls

#8 2020-10-07 00:57:30

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Be safe out there.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#9 2020-10-07 23:11:50

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Hey, Karltown, we passed through IL on our way, and it seemed like a very nice place.  We didn't go too close to Chicago, but took a look around Naperville, Batavia, and Geneva.  Naperville contains some of the prettiest neighborhoods that I've ever seen anywhere.  Like living in a doll house or an oil painting.

We also took a hike through Spears Woods, which beautiful.

Why New Hampshire?  It's a place where freedom-loving people (like me) might fit in.  Low crime, low unemployment, low taxes, low religious-ness, high IQs, and much more affordable housing.  Not California weather, but no place in the US has California weather.  And much closer to family (which is in NYC and Ohio).

#10 2020-10-07 23:44:16

wondible

jasonrohrer wrote:

took a look around Naperville, Batavia, and Geneva.

Wild. I grew up in Batavia, and don't live all that far away now.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#11 2020-10-08 06:57:14

Grim_Arbiter

Huh. I got basically the same run down today from someone else, so I guess it's a spot to look at for sure. The exodus across this country recently is pretty damn mind boggling. I'm sure no matter where you end up, there will be other families who are also recent transplants as well.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

Board footer