One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-22 20:02:58

fug

Tool slots have been disabled.

Bless.

Racial specialization/homelands next. I wanna see the game truly shine with it's new playerbase.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#2 2020-09-22 20:23:15

Spoonwood

Re: Tool slots have been disabled.

fug wrote:

Bless.

Racial specialization/homelands next.

I agree fug.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2020-09-22 20:33:07

wondible

Huh, I've seen several mechanics questioned recently, but no serious discussion around this one. My only guess is that Jason has been spending time observing people in VOG. Though even then, new players won't so much run into the limit as get overwhelmed by the messages, which is hard to see externally.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#4 2020-09-22 21:51:53

fug

God it's going to be nice to be able to teach new people stuff without having to worry about whether or not you have the slots to do it.

Feels Great Man.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#5 2020-09-22 21:53:56

Arcurus

> Tool slots have been disabled.

is this true? are we in a new dimension?  A parallel universe?

If its true lets celebrate! I mean i never reached the limit, but never was a techi smile

#6 2020-09-22 21:54:59

Arcurus

fug wrote:

Bless.

Racial specialization/homelands next. I wanna see the game truly shine with it's new playerbase.

iron, please iron smile

#7 2020-09-22 22:52:16

DestinyCall

I gave up complaining about tool slots, because biome restrictions are a more serious problem.  I don't like them, but they can be "managed" to reduce the annoyance. If you have enough slots, you can just ignore the messages.   If you don't have enough slots, you can kill yourself.  Problem solved.

Under normal conditions, I usually get a couple of bonus slots from meme score magic.  It isn't always enough to do everything, but I can generally do the important things.  It is frustrating when I accidentally learn flute-playing or something dumb and extremely niche by accident.  However the "one free use" update lowered the risk of that happening.  For example, I hate needing to learn the fire bowdrill with flint to make two wheels, if I am planning on making one cart, but going around begging someone to drill a wood round for me is a waste of my time, too.

During the new player apocalypse, I was playing quite a bit.   I went from having eight slots, which was tolerable  down to the bare minimum of five slots.   That was not enough.  It made it nearly impossible to do anything complicated, like smithing, or to change jobs, like if I started out in the bakery making pies and tending the fire, I couldn't easily switch gears to do anything else because I only had two or three slots left. And if I wasn't planning on doing a lot of baking, then I pretty much avoid the kitchen, because if I waste a slot on adobe oven, then I might be screwed when the fire burns out because everyone is starving to death and nobody was paying attention to the fire.

My gene score was around 45 last Friday, before the sale.   At the peak of the new player boom, I was down to 10.  Now that more towns are stabilizing, I'm back up in the upper twenties.

I really hate meme score for punishing me in the middle of a crisis.

#8 2020-09-22 23:13:40

gamatron332

Now meme score is for eves only. No more needing to try and get an good score to make an engine. Thank go- Jason oop.

I’m Gama I flaunt my ideas, and I’m fabulous
But I’ve allready said too much.

#9 2020-09-22 23:44:20

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

I gave up complaining about tool slots, because biome restrictions are a more serious problem.  I don't like them, but they can be "managed" to reduce the annoyance. If you have enough slots, you can just ignore the messages.   If you don't have enough slots, you can kill yourself.  Problem solved.

Oof.  Deliberately killing oneself in a survival game, because of how it's designed, sounds like poor design to me.  It's one thing for something like /die to exist.  It's another if the game encourages you to run to the nearest mosquito patch.

That said, if there existed a choice screen which allowed players to select their race or select 'random race', do you think there would still exist serious problems with race restrictions?  I do mean for all players on this one.  Such a choice screen could clue players into the existence of such.  I would guess that there have existed a number of people have played, but never learned that they even exist, even if they felt the effects of such.

Danish Clinch.

#10 2020-09-22 23:45:26

Spoonwood

gamatron332 wrote:

Now meme score is for eves only. No more needing to try and get an good score to make an engine. Thank go- Jason oop.

Genetic score also affects how many maximum pips one has one ages.  It also affects whether the game will automatically declare you a leader, when someone else is no longer the leader.

Danish Clinch.

#11 2020-09-23 00:07:00

fug

gamatron332 wrote:

Killing yourself to avoid tool limitations is one of the dumbest things I've ever had to do.

Tool slots only existed as a means for pros to not to do all the carrying but instead just worked to dump worthless tools on new people.

Removing tool slots let people actually properly teach different skills to new people instead of using them as a resource to avoid the tool slots.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#12 2020-09-23 03:53:18

Coconut Fruit

Tool slots disabled? I'm jumping into the game after a few months break. What a great news!

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#13 2020-09-23 04:06:37

Spoonwood

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Tool slots disabled? I'm jumping into the game after a few months break. What a great news!

2HOL has coconuts now.

Danish Clinch.

#14 2020-09-23 07:35:13

Arcurus

Spoonwood wrote:
gamatron332 wrote:

Genetic score also affects how many maximum pips one has one ages.  It also affects whether the game will automatically declare you a leader, when someone else is no longer the leader.

gave long time ago up on all aspect of score. Tool slots, no need i never was a techy, old age you life so or so on yum so no need, eve yea would be nice, but spawning as child of eve is also fine, leader, no reason to become a leader.

So i basically ignore it. I love it also to play most when there is a server restart or eve camp or tons of noobs, so score can go quite low with that very soon.

Gene score currently is more or less just a mess.

#15 2020-09-23 10:46:58

JonySky
Website

Conclusion: we need the servers to explode with a multitude of new players dying of hunger within 2 minutes of entering so that Jason decides to change a totally broken mechanic that veteran players have been informing him for months ... interesting ...

#16 2020-09-23 12:31:45

DestinyCall

Don't worry.  He will turn tool slots back on when the "problem" is gone.

#17 2020-09-23 15:33:00

JonySky
Website

DestinyCall wrote:

Don't worry.  He will turn tool slots back on when the "problem" is gone.

hahahahahah
you're right!
The funny thing about all this is that the new players should be good news for OHOL, instead it has become a "problem" ... definitely something is not right

#18 2020-09-23 17:01:32

DestinyCall

On the upside, the fact that Jason turned off toolslots does mean that he recognized that they were contributing to the current problem.   There is hope that he will make positive changes in response to this situation that might help with player retention in the long run.

It is just really frustrating that this has already happened so many times before, that when I saw that OHOL was on sale, my first thought was "Oh shit, I better warn the forums. Things are about to go tits up" rather than ""Yay, new players are going to discover the game that I love and our community will grow! This is a good thing."

Steam sales should not be  an event that is feared and overcome by waiting for the noobs to all die off and quit forever.  That is a death sentence for any multi-player game that relies on a continous on-line playerbase.  OHOL needs to be more accessible and noob-friendly.

#19 2020-09-23 21:27:44

Grim_Arbiter

wondible wrote:

Huh, I've seen several mechanics questioned recently, but no serious discussion around this one. My only guess is that Jason has been spending time observing people in VOG. Though even then, new players won't so much run into the limit as get overwhelmed by the messages, which is hard to see externally.

Yeah its odd, my guess is some VOG studying by Jason too, but idk.

He didn't say anything about yet it I think, unless I missed him on the discord.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#20 2020-09-24 06:44:32

DestinyCall

I decided to take full advantage of the freedom allowed by no tool slots ... and built my very first diesel engine in Kendall town.    It took a few more buckets of water than it should because I made a few mistakes and I was too slow making the piston blanks, but over all, I think I did a decent job of it.   

I was just about to learn oil when the race restrictions update happened and it killed my enthusiasm for upper-tier tech.   Tool slots made it even harder to do anything to tech-heavy, so there are whole chunks of the tech tree I've never properly experienced. 

One of these days, I'll drill for oil.   Maybe.

#21 2020-09-25 17:05:18

Arcurus

wasnt pein always advocating for their removal? Did some one inform him? Should we write him a letter? Pein where are you?

Board footer