One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-04-08 14:01:56

Naeght

Re: [GUIDE] How to: Set up a village as Eve [OHOL v.73]

The edgeee, its cutting me across the interwebs.
No matter how practical u think u are, you aren't taking into account that the "weak" are the majority. Your pragmatist lineage will soon die out.

#27 2018-04-08 14:16:28

Thorware

I'd argue the 3rd rope is not needed so early. A backpack is a huge resource investment and can be skipped since a simple basket accomplishes most of the same things. Not a single rabbit is needed until you need to craft the forge bellows. I would argue for rush crafting bowls for watering the farm, that's four less milkweed you need to find before you can put your kids to work. Instead of the snare you make adobe for the kiln, needed anyway for crafting and usually easier to find the materials. You can start rabbit tech once the carrots are watered.

#28 2018-04-08 14:42:44

breezeknight

Joriom wrote:

Well, "conscience" is kind of exotic thing for me. Thats what weak use. I tend to min/max stuff out of games but out of rl too. I optimized fun and feelings out of my equations old time ago. Both virtually and irl.

that weak use conscience is your explanation to what you do, nothing actually tangible

if you are a man, then how you describe it is the usual thing, typically male way of being

if you are a woman, then you copy the way of how men tend to be, nothing wrong with that, just it's not the way a woman usually is

if you think that gender of a player doesn't influence the way people play games, then you live in an illusion

optimization works only well as long boredom doesn't hit

#29 2018-04-08 18:56:32

Lily

I would much rather move at half speed if I can carry the baby and something else at the same time, rather than try to carry something while the baby follows. They are slow but also the view distance in the game is fairly small, and most of the time stuff is in the way so you can run in a straight line. It is extremely easy to lose a baby while running around.

#30 2018-04-09 00:00:40

Alleria

Lily wrote:

I would much rather move at half speed if I can carry the baby and something else at the same time, rather than try to carry something while the baby follows. They are slow but also the view distance in the game is fairly small, and most of the time stuff is in the way so you can run in a straight line. It is extremely easy to lose a baby while running around.

I personally ask a baby to follow, and if they can't even do that adequately, they're not worth any more of my time. Some "good" players will fall through the cracks who will feel unwanted and suicide, but I think it's a good test.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#31 2018-04-09 00:35:10

Joriom
Website

Thorware wrote:

I'd argue the 3rd rope is not needed so early. A backpack is a huge resource investment and can be skipped since a simple basket accomplishes most of the same things. Not a single rabbit is needed until you need to craft the forge bellows. I would argue for rush crafting bowls for watering the farm, that's four less milkweed you need to find before you can put your kids to work. Instead of the snare you make adobe for the kiln, needed anyway for crafting and usually easier to find the materials. You can start rabbit tech once the carrots are watered.

Well, there always has been discuccion between "bowlers" and "water pouchers". Bowls use less milkweed and don't need a single rabbit. True. I still prefer the water pouch route as you save up time on clay & adobe while getting additional food. Gettin clay moves you to swamp where you're far from berries and you don't bring additional food. You don't stock up on supply for raising kids.
If you're low on milkweed - bowl approeach might be better but with new Eve spawn system and constant map wipes, wild milkweed is plenty. (Constant map wipes: tiles not visited by player in 24 hours get deleted during server restarts. Eve spawn: 2000 tiles away now instead of 100-200) With new generated parts of map (and you're bound to get to new land as Eve now) I usually tend to find over 20 milkweed plants before I settle. I pick up first 12 (3 ropes) and the last ones should be near my camp for further collection. IHMO you should never settle right away. Use at least 4-5 minutes to scout.

Backpack is huge investment. True. Thats why I added disclaimer that you can skip it if you don't feel like you're being efficient enough already. I prefer to make one myself because it over doubles my carrying capacity to set up camp easier as well as it allows me to fast travel with kid in hands while still having food and tools in my back. TIME is of the essence and while backpack is time investment as well, it speeds up further steps as well.

breezeknight wrote:

if you think that gender of a player doesn't influence the way people play games, then you live in an illusion
optimization works only well as long boredom doesn't hit

I've never said anything like that. Over last 15 years as active gamer I've seen enough evidence on different playstyles used by MOST (but not every one ofc) male and female players.
This has nothing to do with this gude though. If you want to start a civilization and increase chances of your lineage as much as possible - forget about feeling. Focus. Become clockwork machine.
I never said its the only way or best way. What I'm going for though - Is the most OPTIMAL way. Thats also why I tried to cut any possible interference from my kids before I've done enough. My descendant probably won't be as efficient as I am. They will probably screw everything up. They might even hate me for being strict and feelingless. Using kids like machines for expansion. I don't care. As long as I gave them SOLID foothold where they don't need to do what I was doing - I'm fine with that, even if they condemn my ways.

Naeght wrote:

No matter how practical u think u are, you aren't taking into account that the "weak" are the majority. Your pragmatist lineage will soon die out.

Actually... I'm taking that into into account very much so. As I've said before - I'm trying to cut interference from my kids. I assume my kids will be weak. I assume they will screw everything up. Thats why I'm being as optimas and practival as I can to balance their unability to survive. I want to set up strong enough foothold on my own without being slowed down because I know most can't do it and will not do it. This guide is not for most people. It is for people who want to use their ability to be optimal for the future of the weak who can't do it. Also - this is guide on HOW TO START. Not how to follow it up - which would be much different. Basically doing that you become kind of martyr of optimalization.

Lily wrote:

As I've said already before - I know most people are just like you. "Poor babies". I look at them and think "Poor suicidal mothers". Thats not guide for people like that. The main goal is not to be "good human being". The goal is to be efficient in building foothold for future generations.

#32 2018-04-09 02:53:26

SunWukong

Joriom wrote:

Well, "conscience" is kind of exotic thing for me. Thats what weak use. I tend to min/max stuff out of games but out of rl too. I optimized fun and feelings out of my equations old time ago. Both virtually and irl.

This strikes me as an incredibly sad statement.  But also, what utility are you gaining from playing OHOL if it's not for fun?

#33 2018-04-09 07:52:44

Lily

Alleria wrote:

I personally ask a baby to follow, and if they can't even do that adequately, they're not worth any more of my time. Some "good" players will fall through the cracks who will feel unwanted and suicide, but I think it's a good test.

Well part of it is outside their control. Since they are slower, if you run straight then suddenly turn while off screen, there is a high chance they will lose you and it is entirely your fault, not theirs.

Joriom wrote:

Well, there always has been discuccion between "bowlers" and "water pouchers". Bowls use less milkweed and don't need a single rabbit. True. I still prefer the water pouch route as you save up time on clay & adobe while getting additional food. Gettin clay moves you to swamp where you're far from berries and you don't bring additional food. You don't stock up on supply for raising kids.

I prefer the pouches since hunting rabbits also gets you clothing, which you really want. Also rabbits can be roasted if you really need food. Plus it is usually faster to build a snare than to make bowls.

Joriom wrote:

As I've said already before - I know most people are just like you. "Poor babies". I look at them and think "Poor suicidal mothers". Thats not guide for people like that. The main goal is not to be "good human being". The goal is to be efficient in building foothold for future generations.

I have never really had any problems with raising a bunch of children. The children often die, but I never die. They ones that survive usually get stuff done as well. Having extra people around can definitely help a lot.

#34 2018-04-09 10:06:01

Hiker170

SunWukong wrote:
Joriom wrote:

This strikes me as an incredibly sad statement.  But also, what utility are you gaining from playing OHOL if it's not for fun?

Some people enjoy figuring out a games mechanics and making the most efficient decisions possible. Take for example factorio.
I agree with the idea behind that a females have that strength of child spawning, along with what he is saying i wouldn't take it to seriously this is Joriom we are talking about tongue. Nice guide btw, always gotta think of those three things that need rope, though what happened to clothing is it not that strong as I believe in conserving food?

Though I do wonder about saving children in the earllier stages if it is the case that these are the only children you will have the life, which I have had happen to me before along with happen to other females in a village. I have even had no children before. The fact that it revolves around server population always scares me. There is no guarantee you will have another child. Even in the suggestions that say child birth should be tied to some action. This doesn't guarantee that either since most likely another village is thriving when you don't spawn any children.

#35 2018-04-09 14:31:42

Joriom
Website

Hiker170 wrote:

what happened to clothing is it not that strong as I believe in conserving food?

There is no guarantee you will have another child.

Clothes are VERY strong. Some say that full set of clothing reduces food usabe by 66-75% which seems to look reasonable and would match my experience.
Yet - remember every part of clothing takes not only time to hunt rabbits but also time required to collect milkweed. Time is what you don't have as Eve. That ties perfectly to the second question.

There is not only no quarantee. There is server data stored for each player that saves how many of your kids died. If you let to many die you will be flagged as "bad mother" and game will not give you any more kids. It's supposed to be based on server population and can be as low as 2 kids that die or as high as 10. Thats the reason why you sometimes stop seeing kids popping if you left to many to starve.
Thats also the reason why you don't have much time. You NEED to reach cirical point with your camp before you pop 3 or 4 kids or you might ruin your chances for daughter. Thats exactly why you need to be super efficient in Eve runs. My method is ofc not the only one and probably not even the best one - depending on scoring. Some people prefer slow start. Raising kid next to 4 berry bushes, slowly collect milkweed with kid when it grows up... But its slow, inefficient. Not my style. Takes to long to progress. My guide is focused on efficiency and setting strong foothold in good place. I've seen to many camps in deserts, snow biomes or to far away from resources.

#36 2018-04-10 21:24:59

StormmyT

Joriom wrote:

There is not only no quarantee. There is server data stored for each player that saves how many of your kids died. If you let to many die you will be flagged as "bad mother" and game will not give you any more kids. It's supposed to be based on server population and can be as low as 2 kids that die or as high as 10. Thats the reason why you sometimes stop seeing kids popping if you left to many to starve.

Interesting. That might explain my own experience. I always seem to have a kid a few seconds after I spawn as an Eve. It also seems to be a girl more often than not. Since I haven't had any time to even formulate a game plan (explore, find a good spot to settle, and get to work), I'll let that child die. From that point, I seem to have a few boys and then nothing. I always let the boys die, because I want to see my settlement thrive.

Seems to me like the algorithm should favor having girls spawn to an Eve over boys, especially if it's going to punish you for letting all the boys die. By the time I'm at a point where I'd consider attempting to keep a baby (I'd estimate probably 10 minutes in on average), it seems like all I ever have are boys.

#37 2018-04-10 22:46:29

pein

boys come when the server is full, or predicted to be full

yes, eves should have mostly girls

an experienced player can help on gaining wood and milkweed. i told my first daughter to stay near bushes until i setup farm, she died stupidly digging a carrot and not eating it, that caused me like 4 minutes lost which is 10% of my life, also an upkeep for a granddaughter as she ate all those berries. all she did, got me a seed. my second daughter survived but kept  3 kids for 3 parcels of carrot and she wanted to leave one to seed, showed her the berry bushes, died at 57 triing to save a granddaughter.
my farm wasnt optimal but had plenty water, bit far from the green lands.

i had seen maps with huge iron and ice biomes, if you settle on one side, you will never be able to cross it without clothes and backpack, even so, you might not come back alive, so limits you half of the map. location location location. you can run out of wood before forging an axe.

i would like to add two things: desert tiles are useful to raise children and cactus can keep you alive while working on base. so far my best eve runs included small spots of desert.
kids are resources, human resources.  with a desert tile you can feed them 3 times and they are ready.
each kid needs upkeep, like a management game. is it a good investment to make a kid? no if you dont have food close by.
your farm can be optimal near water supply but you may lack in reserve food.

solution is cruel but had to be done: kill grandsons. third generation can have males, pairing me up with stupid kids will ruin my heritage. its boring to play 46 minutes as eve, al lyou can do is optimize it to have some fun next life.

once i had joriom as kid, i kept two daughters, she kept one, everything was mostly fine. died at 50 cause didnt wanted to eat their food.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#38 2018-04-17 17:55:28

jsteelF13X

pein wrote:
Lily wrote:

We should be able to balance the basket on our head, while we carry the babies.

or put in backpack or cart, they would use 3 slots out of 4

maybe another item to tie them on your side

We should be able to create a reed backpack with like 3 baskets and a rope.

Board footer