One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-06-12 16:18:21

mrbah

Re: Update: Precious Life

very good update as far as I am concerned.

#52 2019-06-13 03:06:53

robertb556

Encouraging players to cling to every life desperately = awesome.

Implementing life token system = I think you will find its a null effect (unless you do the unthinkable and take your game from pay-to-own all the way to Farmville timers and pay-to-play-more).

Instead consider: rewarding players with a meaningless metagame stat based on their average life span.  For example, The stat is simply the average of all your life spans. Thus 60 would be a "perfect" score, while someone who /die's all the time might have something in the single digits.  Show the player their own meaningless stat when they log into the game, on the home screen, before starting a life.  This has the best kind of effect, it gets the player valuing what you as the game designer intended/hoped for them to feel/value.

#53 2019-06-13 04:46:06

RodneyC86

Lily wrote:

The one concern I have with this, is that it is fairly normal to die a bunch of times in a row through no fault of your own. Often times you start playing and die a few times to bad parents before you have a good start. I do think the number is high enough that it isn't going to be an issue for most people, though I could see a newbie who plays a lot possibly reaching it.

Personally I never had to retry more than 4 times before I find a decent family to live with. If you run into shitty families ten times in a row it's probably not your day to play OHOL. Perhaps it's time to go outside lol

#54 2019-06-13 13:10:09

Twisted

robertb556 wrote:

Implementing life token system = I think you will find its a null effect

It's not a null effect, it has made a massive difference and improved the quality of the game significantly IMO.

#55 2019-06-15 18:00:08

testo

Here we go again, :sigh.... after the best update since carrot stack we go back to normal, 24 lifes is pretty much infinite. Insta dislike to this, life was actually startitng to feel precious.

Tomato, onion and pepper will not be fixed. I am not screaming anymore.

#56 2019-06-17 09:58:09

HimitsuGato

So now you introduce two models:

The regular purchase of the game which lets you bank 18 lives.

The Freemium model where you can only bank one life, but can pay $1 for another life after that. New players would also get to start with the 36 intro lives, to get them hooked of course.

#57 2019-06-19 06:02:17

Lily

RodneyC86 wrote:
Lily wrote:

The one concern I have with this, is that it is fairly normal to die a bunch of times in a row through no fault of your own. Often times you start playing and die a few times to bad parents before you have a good start. I do think the number is high enough that it isn't going to be an issue for most people, though I could see a newbie who plays a lot possibly reaching it.

Personally I never had to retry more than 4 times before I find a decent family to live with. If you run into shitty families ten times in a row it's probably not your day to play OHOL. Perhaps it's time to go outside lol

Well I was talking about with a newbie who dies fairly often. So you might die a bunch of times entirely because it is your fault and you are new and also get a bunch of bad families that has nothing to do with you. The combo of the two, and then playing for like 3-4 hours in a row.

#58 2019-06-19 22:45:04

futurebird

HimitsuGato wrote:

So now you introduce two models:

The regular purchase of the game which lets you bank 18 lives.

The Freemium model where you can only bank one life, but can pay $1 for another life after that. New players would also get to start with the 36 intro lives, to get them hooked of course.

Smart idea heh. No really, it's not a bad idea at all to let people just try it out.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

Board footer