One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-20 08:52:08

Dantox
Member
Registered: 2019-04-28
Posts: 211

Something that bothers me

We have delivery trucks. The modern type.

And we are still depending on adobe-based structures and on a flat stone to cook some eggs.

I am glad that jason has been adding some tools for industrialism but it really hurts to the aesthetic of towns and can make it seem that there is no true progression to the game, i wish there was more stations that can provide more convenient mechanics or that can provide more resources.

An oven to cook more rapidly, upgrades to newcomers to use diesel instead so you can turn it on or off so you dont waste that much time having to go trough all the process of gathering water and coal. These could be examples of towns that feel more advanced than others.

I just wish jason will not try to rush up the tech tree and add something that really isnt needed like sports car-

Wait, what?


make bread, no war

Offline

#2 2020-09-20 18:00:40

happynova
Member
Registered: 2018-03-31
Posts: 360

Re: Something that bothers me

I don't entirely disagree with your main point, because while I have no objection to the sports cars and such  it would be great to have higher tech options for some of the still ridiculously primitive things we're using. 

But I did want to say, hey, don't dis adobe!  It's actually a great building material in the right climate (and OHOL's complete lack of weather of any sort surely qualifies), and it's still very much in use.  I've lived in an adobe house.  It makes for great insulation!

Offline

#3 2020-09-20 18:08:42

Spoonwood
Member
Registered: 2019-02-06
Posts: 3,192

Re: Something that bothers me

I don't disagree.  Also, something other to cook or smith with that made more sense in terms of a progression would be more craftable objects.  So, I don't see any good reason to prefer something like a sports car to more basic technology.

Offline

#4 2020-09-20 18:31:30

Arcurus
Member
Registered: 2020-04-23
Posts: 765

Re: Something that bothers me

Spoonwood wrote:

I don't disagree.  Also, something other to cook or smith with that made more sense in terms of a progression would be more craftable objects.  So, I don't see any good reason to prefer something like a sports car to more basic technology.

basic technology like the ability to butcher a cow for meat smile

Offline

#5 2020-09-20 19:16:35

Spoonwood
Member
Registered: 2019-02-06
Posts: 3,192

Re: Something that bothers me

Arcurus wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

I don't disagree.  Also, something other to cook or smith with that made more sense in terms of a progression would be more craftable objects.  So, I don't see any good reason to prefer something like a sports car to more basic technology.

basic technology like the ability to butcher a cow for meat smile

Like seriously.

Offline

#6 2020-09-20 20:29:15

DestinyCall
Member
Registered: 2018-12-08
Posts: 3,802

Re: Something that bothers me

Spoonwood wrote:
Arcurus wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

I don't disagree.  Also, something other to cook or smith with that made more sense in terms of a progression would be more craftable objects.  So, I don't see any good reason to prefer something like a sports car to more basic technology.

basic technology like the ability to butcher a cow for meat smile

Like seriously.

One of many sad things I have witnessed today while playing with lots of new people was someone shooting a bison.  It was sad, because he only had one arrow and he wasted it on a bison without calf.   There was no way to retrieve the arrow and the bison could not provide anything to the village, even if he had managed to kill it.   Yet how can I explain that he was doing the wrong thing?   He was trying to hunt.

Stuff like this is what I think about when I imagine how this game could be made better for new players.  There are so many noob traps and deadends.

Offline

#7 2020-09-20 20:49:03

Arcurus
Member
Registered: 2020-04-23
Posts: 765

Re: Something that bothers me

DestinyCall wrote:

One of many sad things I have witnessed today while playing with lots of new people was someone shooting a bison.  It was sad, because he only had one arrow and he wasted it on a bison without calf.   There was no way to retrieve the arrow and the bison could not provide anything to the village, even if he had managed to kill it.   Yet how can I explain that he was doing the wrong thing?   He was trying to hunt.

Stuff like this is what I think about when I imagine how this game could be made better for new players.  There are so many noob traps and deadends.

life is also full of dead ends... you learn with time.... or you die...

its just that things should be more logical if possible. why is the only way to kill a cow with a leaf? Or a mouflown with a bow?

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-09-24 19:42:25)

Offline

#8 2020-09-20 21:41:54

DestinyCall
Member
Registered: 2018-12-08
Posts: 3,802

Re: Something that bothers me

I'd be totally fine with logical dead-ends.   As you say, life is full of those.  And realistic deadends are intuitive.

Not being able to eat dog meat?   I'm okay with that.   Same with horses.  Technically, they are made of meat, but we don't eat them around here and I don't need them to be edible in game. 

Not being able to eat cows?   Not even being able to KILL cows?   WHY!?

...

It is the dumb or illogical stuff that really goads me.   There's a lot of inconsistency in OHOL.  Stuff that is unintuitive and strange, stuff that is anachronistic and out-of-place.    When I first started playing this game, I was impressed by the "realistic" crafting.  It took a bit to get used to the way crafting worked, but it had a certain logic once I learned a few things.  But the more I play, the more things I found that just don't make any sense, in game or in reality.   Some of it is just silly, like how animals reproduce, but other stuff is seriously annoying, like how shovels break before any other tool.   I'd like to see more work on the lower end of the tech tree to smooth out some of the rough edges and make the game feel more polished.   Right now, it feels cobbled together from a lot of disconnected parts ... because it is.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-09-20 21:45:18)

Offline

#9 2020-09-20 22:11:45

jinbaili83
Member
Registered: 2018-06-15
Posts: 144

Re: Something that bothers me

if we can't eat cow we should be able to decorate it with paint and  flowers and parade it around village.

Offline

#10 2020-09-23 21:53:50

Starknight_One
Member
Registered: 2018-10-15
Posts: 335

Re: Something that bothers me

DestinyCall wrote:

I'd be totally fine with logical dead-ends.   As you say, life is full of those.  And realistic deadends are intuitive.

Not being able to eat dog meat?   I'm okay with that.   Same with horses.  Technically, they are made of meat, but we don't eat them around here and I don't need them to be edible in game.

How culturally isolationist of you. Many people eat those meats on a regular basis. I mean, I love dogs and horses, they're beautiful animals. But so is a cow... and they're awfully tasty. Maybe dog is too.

And in a situation where it's 'eat or die'... I'm gonna eat anything I can to live.

Not being able to eat cows?   Not even being able to KILL cows?   WHY!?

Confirmed... Jason is a secret Hindu.

...

I know, it's such a betrayal. wink

It is the dumb or illogical stuff that really goads me.   There's a lot of inconsistency in OHOL.  Stuff that is unintuitive and strange, stuff that is anachronistic and out-of-place.    When I first started playing this game, I was impressed by the "realistic" crafting.  It took a bit to get used to the way crafting worked, but it had a certain logic once I learned a few things.  But the more I play, the more things I found that just don't make any sense, in game or in reality.   Some of it is just silly, like how animals reproduce, but other stuff is seriously annoying, like how shovels break before any other tool.   I'd like to see more work on the lower end of the tech tree to smooth out some of the rough edges and make the game feel more polished.   Right now, it feels cobbled together from a lot of disconnected parts ... because it is.

It's a social experiment! (The experiment is to see how many will ride this train straight into Hell...)

Offline

#11 2020-09-23 22:15:38

DestinyCall
Member
Registered: 2018-12-08
Posts: 3,802

Re: Something that bothers me

If we want to be really inclusive, people are also made of meat.

I'm just saying, new players CAN be useful.

Offline

#12 2020-09-23 22:34:25

Spoonwood
Member
Registered: 2019-02-06
Posts: 3,192

Re: Something that bothers me

DestinyCall wrote:

If we want to be really inclusive, people are also made of meat.

I'm just saying, new players CAN be useful.

If the game had cannibalism, then it's conceivable that eating humans could be necessary in a worst-case possible scenario or useful (craving "human meat"... though blocking or not enabling that craving might be easy).  It would be hard to call such against the spirit of the game without knowing details of the situation, other than saying as a rule it was unnecessary.  It may well get abused by some jerk, and probably would in my opinion.  For a multiplayer game, such might be dangerous for people thinking well of it, since if you died due to some other player killing you to eat your flesh, why would you think it was about a multiplayer cooperative experience.

With how much meat exists in the game already, it makes little sense not to have things like cow meat.  If cow meat is somehow so bad to be in the game, well, why is any meat eating in the game at all?

Offline

#13 2020-09-23 22:47:28

DestinyCall
Member
Registered: 2018-12-08
Posts: 3,802

Re: Something that bothers me

Have each person give different flavored meats depending on age, gender, and race. 

Once you eat human meat for the first time, your food craving changes to be human meat themed, increasing in value every time you taste it.  Nothing else will satisfy you. 

Welcome to the zombie apocalypse.

Offline

#14 2020-09-24 03:13:58

Spoonwood
Member
Registered: 2019-02-06
Posts: 3,192

Re: Something that bothers me

DestinyCall wrote:

Have each person give different flavored meats depending on age, gender, and race. 

Once you eat human meat for the first time, your food craving changes to be human meat themed, increasing in value every time you taste it.  Nothing else will satisfy you. 

Welcome to the zombie apocalypse.

This did make me laugh.

Such a game would be harder to live to old age in.

Easily leads to attention catching stories like "My mother raised me.  After raising two children, and seeing others eat the carcasses of their dead children, and I slaughtered my child with a knife.  I cooked and ate my first baby.  I licked my lips its flesh being sooo delicious without even thinking twice about it." 

Would people play it much though if they had the expectation of getting eaten every so often, or that they would need to master its mechanics to not get eaten?

To perhaps state the obvious, teamwork would be more limited.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-09-24 03:14:22)

Offline

#15 2020-09-24 19:50:17

Arcurus
Member
Registered: 2020-04-23
Posts: 765

Re: Something that bothers me

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Have each person give different flavored meats depending on age, gender, and race. 

Once you eat human meat for the first time, your food craving changes to be human meat themed, increasing in value every time you taste it.  Nothing else will satisfy you. 

Welcome to the zombie apocalypse.

This did make me laugh.

Such a game would be harder to live to old age in.

Easily leads to attention catching stories like "My mother raised me.  After raising two children, and seeing others eat the carcasses of their dead children, and I slaughtered my child with a knife.  I cooked and ate my first baby.  I licked my lips its flesh being sooo delicious without even thinking twice about it." 

Would people play it much though if they had the expectation of getting eaten every so often, or that they would need to master its mechanics to not get eaten?

To perhaps state the obvious, teamwork would be more limited.

lol, for sure it would create stories and lot of attention and put you in hard choices smile


I would like also the ability to parade a decorated cow through the village, normally i take so or so part in that once a year and its quite fun, this could lower the hungry rate for some time. Maybe you can do it after a cow gets super old, just before you then burry it...

Offline

#16 2020-09-24 20:14:53

Spoonwood
Member
Registered: 2019-02-06
Posts: 3,192

Re: Something that bothers me

DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
Arcurus wrote:

basic technology like the ability to butcher a cow for meat smile

Like seriously.

One of many sad things I have witnessed today while playing with lots of new people was someone shooting a bison.  It was sad, because he only had one arrow and he wasted it on a bison without calf.   There was no way to retrieve the arrow and the bison could not provide anything to the village, even if he had managed to kill it.   Yet how can I explain that he was doing the wrong thing?   He was trying to hunt.

Stuff like this is what I think about when I imagine how this game could be made better for new players.  There are so many noob traps and deadends.

If the tall/short object feature turned into a bug again, it might take less time to get milkweed and a skewer, and a goose feather for the second arrow.  This isn't to say that there would exist enough time to teach that with everything else going on though.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB