One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-11 01:35:58

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: Paved Roads

GViFwSb.png

Over the years, a few people have complained about what is shown toward the end of the trailer.  When the game shipped, these people were apparently expecting atomic powered robots and monorails.

However, the end of the trailer is supposed to represent a possible future for the game, when I say, "Who knows where we'll end up?"

And that's what these weekly updates are about.  Along with improving the core of the game, and fixing problems, I'm also slowly adding more and more advanced technology.  There are already hundreds of things in the game that weren't shown in the trailer.  Just not robots, yet.

Today, we inch a little bit closer to some of the stuff shown toward the end of the trailer, with the advent of paved roads.  But these roads, with the way they are constructed, and with the way the seamlessly connect together with branches and tees and crosses, go far beyond the straight horizontal highway shown in the trailer.  Spaghetti junction, here we come.

You can also add elbows and vertical sections to the layout of your sprinkler pipes, allowing you to build more compact fields that are served by a single sprinkler pump.

#2 2020-07-11 03:27:34

Cogito

Re: Update: Paved Roads

Thanks Jason, really enjoying the new content.

It seems like it's not possible to build diagonal roads - is that correct? If we built disjoint diagonal roads would you still travel along them like current roads?

Also it's not clear to me on onetech - how many tiles get paved at once? Unlimited? One?

#3 2020-07-11 04:24:14

Grim_Arbiter

Pave the world.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2020-07-11 08:17:37

Don Holm

Why add pavement when our towns are still stuck at stone age, even the "car" we have is just ugly and unpractical at all. It's not the right time to add it, especially considering how extremely expensive it is to make both engines and extracting oil, which are both way important to be wasted on cars and pavement. You can't just ignore the fact we water using "clay bowls" and not even watering cans, and we still make fire with the most primitive way ever! And now we have pavements for the most unpractical car design!

Last edited by Don Holm (2020-07-11 08:22:40)

#5 2020-07-11 08:48:43

Lava

Amazing update Jason keep up the good work. Time to connect towns!

#6 2020-07-11 10:07:39

Dodge

Don Holm wrote:

Why add pavement when our towns are still stuck at stone age, even the "car" we have is just ugly and unpractical at all. It's not the right time to add it, especially considering how extremely expensive it is to make both engines and extracting oil, which are both way important to be wasted on cars and pavement. You can't just ignore the fact we water using "clay bowls" and not even watering cans, and we still make fire with the most primitive way ever! And now we have pavements for the most unpractical car design!

At first i though the game was about rebuilding civilisations with all their complexity and interesting social behaviors, history etc, but more and more i'm starting to see that the game is more about a parody or a meme of civilisations, in the real world cars exist for a reason but in the game they just exist because "in the real world they exist" they dont make sense to exist in the game but it doesn't seem to matter, irl a car is valuable and allows you to travel long distances for an actual purpose, in the game they are a waste of ressources and have absolutly no purpose except roleplaying or virtual flexing.

More and more feeling like it was all smoke and mirrors and those who believed it got baited.

Or maybe it's just a very messy development and at some point it will be actually interesting and actually make sense to have cars, roads, planes, airports etc...hopefully

#7 2020-07-11 11:43:11

Erudaru

The long dress is ridiculously ugly.

#8 2020-07-13 21:43:00

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Roads speed up horses and carts and on-foot travel, not just cars.  They also auto-navigate you to a destination.

Currently, the stone roads are VERY expensive and labor-intensive.

The paved roads are cheap (infinite roads in a single charge of gravel and paint) and require much less labor (aside from clearing the way, there is no labor per-tile paved).

#9 2020-07-13 22:15:34

Thaulos

They are race locked on browns for yellow paint so will be hard to see them being wildly used.

#10 2020-07-13 22:35:10

Thaulos

Perhaps we could get an alternative recipe for yellow paint?

#11 2020-07-14 14:40:32

StrongForce

We are racial locked for oil too. It makes infinite roads its supposed to be hard to make but easy to use

Baby dance!!

#12 2020-07-14 14:41:32

StrongForce

If the direction makers were reusable I would be so happy

Baby dance!!

#13 2020-07-14 14:56:51

Twisted

We managed to get a paver going today, and it's so satisfying to use! I love it, amazing update!

#14 2020-07-14 16:51:28

miskas

The road making is just fine, you need a team to do it and this is the nice part about it.
I was there, It is nice that you need to care for it along the way.

One guy should scout ahead, the other one is making the directions and the third one opens the way through. (you will need a lot of food as well.)

we messed up 2 times and we had to start the paver again twice but we managed to complete the road in 5-6 hours, connecting three cities( gingers, browns, blacks)

Last edited by miskas (2020-07-14 16:52:58)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#15 2020-07-17 10:23:44

Cryoes

jasonrohrer wrote:

Roads speed up horses and carts and on-foot travel, not just cars.  They also auto-navigate you to a destination.

Currently, the stone roads are VERY expensive and labor-intensive.

The paved roads are cheap (infinite roads in a single charge of gravel and paint) and require much less labor (aside from clearing the way, there is no labor per-tile paved).

I mean why bother making a road to another city that is most likely going to die and spring up elsewhere. Smarter and better to just take a horse there and back for the few times you will be online while this city is still alive.

Also.. who has access to pavers.. only leaders.. and well its an engine so its heavily guarded.

So maybe you will see a few people with leader status making roads average player though wont be touching one due to poor game design.

#16 2020-07-17 10:24:45

Cryoes

miskas wrote:

The road making is just fine, you need a team to do it and this is the nice part about it.
I was there, It is nice that you need to care for it along the way.

One guy should scout ahead, the other one is making the directions and the third one opens the way through. (you will need a lot of food as well.)

we messed up 2 times and we had to start the paver again twice but we managed to complete the road in 5-6 hours, connecting three cities( gingers, browns, blacks)

Very nice work. Too bad the cities will die within 48hrs forcing a new road to be built. When the only road connecting the races was built by one team.. I mean.. it goes to show how useless this update was.. than again.. you give us a mode of travel update while we are restricted to a home region.

The only people that leave home region are pseudo eve to open more mines or men off to get resources from other cities.

Last edited by Cryoes (2020-07-17 10:25:57)

#17 2020-07-17 10:35:48

Twisted

Cryoes wrote:

Very nice work. Too bad the cities will die within 48hrs forcing a new road to be built. When the only road connecting the races was built by one team.. I mean.. it goes to show how useless this update was.. than again.. you give us a mode of travel update while we are restricted to a home region.

I'm not sure you understand what the home region does. The only thing it does is it allows you to have kids. You can leave it anytime for any reason, you are not restricted at all.

The Paver Update is probably one of the most useful updates in recent memory, you are seriously underestimating the value that big roads bring to the game.

#18 2020-07-17 10:40:15

StrongForce

Combined with the buff to cars anyone can get back to 0.0. Before going infertile.

Baby dance!!

#19 2020-07-27 15:50:58

JonySky
Website

Twisted wrote:

The Paver Update is probably one of the most useful updates in recent memory, you are seriously underestimating the value that big roads bring to the game.

How many paved roads have you seen in your last games?

#20 2020-07-27 20:35:38

StrongForce

Last time I played there were like 10 towns connected by road an more I couldn't visite since I got old.

Haven't played in a few days tho. Did the server reset?

Baby dance!!

Board footer