One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-04 07:36:21

Arcurus

Did anyone do the math on sprinklers and plows?

Did anyone do the math on sprinklers and plows?

#2 2020-07-04 09:03:32

fug

Re: Did anyone do the math on sprinklers and plows?

I'd wait until he fixes the stuff. Having too much fun using sprinklers as battering rams lel.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#3 2020-07-04 09:26:56

Guy

It is 24 uses for 1 kero right?

I think IT CAN be useful but we need more Kerosene. It can till hardened rows right?. Assuming Kero wasn't an issue it would be good for any crop that leaves hardened rows as you wouldn't need as much compost. Plus not having to always replace hoes would eventually make up for the cost.

Irrigation could be nice as well. If it can water more then 1 plant at once that would mean having to pump less water.

I can't get in-game rn so lemme know if I'm wrong. I'm hoping for a more efficient method of getting Kerosene  since we're getting more tech.

#4 2020-07-04 09:55:01

fug

Guy wrote:

It is 24 uses for 1 kero right?

I think IT CAN be useful but we need more Kerosene. It can till hardened rows right?. Assuming Kero wasn't an issue it would be good for any crop that leaves hardened rows as you wouldn't need as much compost. Plus not having to always replace hoes would eventually make up for the cost.

Irrigation could be nice as well. If it can water more then 1 plant at once that would mean having to pump less water.

I can't get in-game rn so lemme know if I'm wrong. I'm hoping for a more efficient method of getting Kerosene  since we're getting more tech.

Plow can do any number of rows 24 different times.

Make a row of three? Not very efficient. Make a row of three hundred hardened rows? Same kerosene cost as the three but much more efficient.

Sprinklers are really costly but you can pick up the water and put it back info the sprinkler so if you're cool you can juggle water between pipe systems.

Fun bugs this patch.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#5 2020-07-04 11:48:18

SpiritBomb32

I used plows and sprinklers in my last life and its weird how the plow always plows to the left and you cant move pipes that have turned to sprinklers hmm now all we need now is a collection system for the plants

- "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."
Add books, please Jason.

#6 2020-07-04 12:06:30

Arcurus

SpiritBomb32 wrote:

I used plows and sprinklers in my last life and its weird how the plow always plows to the left and you cant move pipes that have turned to sprinklers hmm now all we need now is a collection system for the plants

and what work do we give to the noobs?

best machine would be a berry collector....

#7 2020-07-04 15:03:36

Wuatduhf

I did the math the same day the sprinkler content started to appear in the discord. It's somehow hard to explain but maybe my method of explanation is just difficult to understand.

Let's assume each of the 24 "runs" of the sprinkler were utilized to their maximum potential - so, every time you pour in a bowl of water, all the sprinkler pipes attached watered a crop 100% of the time.

For the sprinklers to be "equivalent" to just converting Kerosene into water, and then doing it by-hand, you would need 3 Sprinkler pipes.

Here is a picture that has been repeatedly edited to better convey how 3 pipes is equal (and slightly better) than watering crops by-hand.

kGm9mWb.png

And what if you produced 24 Sprinkler pipes, and combined them with the new Plow that can til 24 fields all in a row?

rdupO9s.png

But the sprinklers aren't limited to a pre-defined maximum length. The pipes will keep watering, and passing the water down the line, until there are no more pipes to receive water. Thus, if you were being 100% efficient with all 24 uses of the pipes, You can guarantee a hell of a return-on-investment the longer that the town/village you're in has these built and are in use.

#8 2020-07-04 15:05:51

Wuatduhf

Side-note, I don't see how this will remain beyond the next week in current state. The plow needed more uses, but the sprinkler was pretty darn almost-perfect tuned at 6 uses. Maybe it only needed 8.

#9 2020-07-04 15:35:43

Gomez

So we need to change our farm layouts then?  horizontal assembly lines two rows twenty long with two space between?  May as well just start the smaller villages out that way.  We still need hoes tho, and twenty seven steel is pretty steep...

Last edited by Gomez (2020-07-04 15:36:51)

#10 2020-07-04 15:38:01

sigmen4020

Wuatduhf wrote:

Side-note, I don't see how this will remain beyond the next week in current state. The plow needed more uses, but the sprinkler was pretty darn almost-perfect tuned at 6 uses. Maybe it only needed 8.

I personally think it’s balanced enough (honestly they’re maybe still slightly underpowered) right now and would be really underpowered with the initial 6 uses. Sure you could break even without that much trouble. But the sprinklers need to do more than just break even to be worth it, since you could alternatively use that same kerosene to get 4 water buckets from a Diesel well or 8(7) water buckets from a Kerosene pump.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-07-04 15:40:55)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#11 2020-07-04 15:56:21

Twisted

I think they're both balanced by the fact that they require a ton of iron and a ton of space, plus they need to be in one specific shape and they're awkward to use because of that. With 24 charges they feel really good to use if you put a lot of time and effort into making a proper industrial farm.

#12 2020-07-04 15:56:43

Wuatduhf

sigmen4020 wrote:
Wuatduhf wrote:

I personally think it’s balanced enough (honestly they’re maybe still slightly underpowered) right now and would be really underpowered with the initial 6 uses. Sure you could break even without that much trouble. But the sprinklers need to do more than just break even to be worth it, since you could alternatively use that same kerosene to get 4 water buckets from a Diesel well or 8(7) water buckets from a Kerosene pump.

Bruh, why would you use Kerosene to make 40 bowls of water when the Sprinkler can make Kerosene into 360 bowls of water for farming?

#13 2020-07-04 16:02:30

sigmen4020

Wuatduhf wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:
Wuatduhf wrote:

Bruh, why would you use Kerosene to make 40 bowls of water when the Sprinkler can make Kerosene into 360 bowls of water for farming?

Oops. Didn’t see you got that much water out of the deal. I agree with Twisted though, that it’s still balanced due to the space and iron investment required. It also requires good organization to get the maximum amount out of them too.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-07-04 16:06:29)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#14 2020-07-04 16:25:13

Wuatduhf

Sure. But think about it.

You could find a big open field somewhere outside of town and plot multiple lines of 24-long fertile soil.

Then you use a single bowl of grains to make them all wheat.

Then you water them one-by-one, ideally 24 rows, moving the pipes one by one per row, so that by the time you're done you've made 500-ish wheat fields.

That town ends up basically being set on Wheat for generations and generations, and all it took was 24 bowls of water and 1 Kerosene use.

#15 2020-07-04 17:27:09

Arcurus

what is the efficiency / math of the plow?

#16 2020-07-04 19:20:59

Lava

Wuatduhf wrote:

Sure. But think about it.

You could find a big open field somewhere outside of town and plot multiple lines of 24-long fertile soil.

Then you use a single bowl of grains to make them all wheat.

Then you water them one-by-one, ideally 24 rows, moving the pipes one by one per row, so that by the time you're done you've made 500-ish wheat fields.

That town ends up basically being set on Wheat for generations and generations, and all it took was 24 bowls of water and 1 Kerosene use.

This requires planning and a LOT of hard work to make the engine. Welcome to the industrial mass producing age. I think the sprinkler is fine but the effectiveness of the plough needs to come in question with many we need to use to break even

#17 2020-07-04 21:07:36

Wuatduhf

Arcurus wrote:

Not worth it. Basically one Kerosene = 48 individual clumps of soil at BEST.
And with soil being a 5:1 ratio to water, it's very severely worse.

#18 2020-07-04 21:47:04

Twisted

Wuatduhf wrote:
Arcurus wrote:

How did you come to number 48?

With one kerosene you can run the plow 24 times. If you till five rows each time that's already 120 rows, and you can till much more than 5 at a time if you build your farm around using plows.

#19 2020-07-04 22:20:36

Wuatduhf

Twisted wrote:
Wuatduhf wrote:
Arcurus wrote:

With one kerosene you can run the plow 24 times. If you till five rows each time that's already 120 rows, and you can till much more than 5 at a time if you build your farm around using plows.

Based on the Onetech, the moving plow consumes 1 of the 24 uses each time it tills a field. So, 24 fields tilled in total per Kerosene. 48 soil piles. I'm not sure where the 5 fields per each of the 24 uses comes from?

#20 2020-07-04 22:52:54

Twisted

Wuatduhf wrote:
Twisted wrote:
Wuatduhf wrote:

Based on the Onetech, the moving plow consumes 1 of the 24 uses each time it tills a field. So, 24 fields tilled in total per Kerosene. 48 soil piles. I'm not sure where the 5 fields per each of the 24 uses comes from?

It only consumes a use when it stops tilling, which is what makes them really good! As long as it keeps moving and tilling, it's not consuming charges. 24 charges means you can make it go 24 times.

#21 2020-07-05 00:22:06

Wuatduhf

Huh.

So, an infinite-operation plow and an infinite-operation sprinkler that only stops when you stop having tilled land/sprinkler pipes.

This whole update just feels like a really dumbed-down tech upgrade compared to other tech upgrades (wells/fires)

#22 2020-07-05 04:31:14

Mr.XIX

Maybe it feels dumbed down, but in reality this requires a lot of teamwork and is quite difficult to pull of efficiently I can tell you.

#23 2020-07-05 06:03:07

Guy

Isn't the infinite thing just a bug?

Honestly if you think about everything boils down to Kerosene which is alot like water wells. Water and Kero are both finite resources used in exchange for other resources.

We'll probably get better tech for getting or refining more kerosene. I think Jason mentioned adding byproducts of oil for building roads and such. Probably means a new refinery.

#24 2020-07-05 06:20:52

Mr.XIX

The infinite thing is working as intended.

#25 2020-07-06 04:06:41

Coconut Fruit

Seems like it's really worth using sprinklers. 10 sprinklers give 216 water (1 kero = 24 uses * 10 sprinklers - 24 bowls of water = 216), that's over 5 times more than using kero on the well (40 water).
They are very expensive tho. 10 sprinklers = 5 full piles of iron + sprinkler pump which is another 19 iron + all water needed to make them.

We can't have too many sprinklers due to how expensive they are, but let's say we have 15 of them. The most efficient use I can think of would be making a line of 15 sprinklers and a 1x15 farm above and below them.
And just plant everything on these 15x1 farms and store all harvested products.

This way our farm could be really small and very efficient, but we would need big storage for harvested products, because it would be the best to harvest them right away and plant something else, whatever is needed.

As for plows... I don't find much use for them. Would it be worth using a plow on a 1x15 farm? That would save 15 soil and 15 uses of hoe. But it has 24 uses per one kero, so it would actually save 360 soil and 360 uses of hoes (on average 7 hoes = 3.5 iron) for cost of one kero use. I think it may be worth it using it on a 1x15 farm, but not smaller ones.

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2020-07-06 05:03:47)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

Board footer