One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-22 11:43:41

RudolfVirchow

Yet another take on the new decay update

TL;DR: The game is unplayable in its current state and all positive experiences are being seriously curtailed by the last update.

The prior gameplay loop was quite enjoyable and the transitions through the stages of survival-settlement-development-maintenance were quite hard to complete. The later you got in the stages the less time would be spent frantically searching for resources to just stave off starvation. This would allow for co-ordination, assignment of jobs and in that interaction the first stirrings of culture in your village would appear. Most of these societies would collapse before the ranching stage due to a population expansion or mismanagement of resources, and the few times a society I started got to the end of the tech tree I would be very proud of our accomplishments. Certainly as survival became less and less of an issue, the risk of griefers would increase drastically but to a certain degree they constituted the end-game challenge of societal collapse. The positive interactions that were to be had between players was predicated on there being time to have those. The capital you accumulated in the shape of tools, soil, food, clothing and structures are what gave your descendants a leg-up and the chance to have a more rewarding experience than you just did.

When I played this morning I was abandoned 8 times in a row by my mothers and when I spawned as an Eve there was just an endless sprawl of abandoned settlements lacking some crucial component. The mad dash for survival has made the player-base substantially more toxic compared to before. The feeling of your accomplishments having some kind of lasting legacy were also gone since anything you do rots in an instant. In the end the game was just too frustrating to play. It's a real shame, it used to be fun. I would say that rather than fixing things that aren't broken, like the decay cycle, we need the next level of tech tree whatever that might be. Also can we please get the apocalypse back? It's no fun just dying in an exhausted land.

#2 2018-04-22 13:39:09

Anshin

Re: Yet another take on the new decay update

RudolfVirchow wrote:

Also can we please get the apocalypse back?

No.
Not until we get a tech tree that takes us beyond nukes.
Japan shows that even nukes would be only a major setback, not an apocalypse.
The monolith causing an apocalypse is stupid magic and shouldn't be in the game.

Board footer