One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-03 15:28:58

-Ian-

A suggestion to stop berrymunching

So some people keep on eating the same foods over and over again. Like berries.

This is a huge waste of food, so to prevent this, players should not be able to eat the same kind of food 5 times in a row. Like berries.

If they eat something else, then they can go back to Berrymunching, but then after four berries they have to eat something else.

For example, this would work as a person’s diet:

BERRY -> BERRY-> BERRY -> BERRY -> CARROT -> BERRY -> BERRY -> BERRY -> BERRY -> TOMATO

Hopefully this will teach newer players to eat a varied diet of food instead of just eating berries all the time.

#2 2020-07-03 15:54:57

DestinyCall

Re: A suggestion to stop berrymunching

How will the game let the new player know that they cannot eat anymore berries?   

If they just can't eat them, I expect a lot of new people will just straight up die.

#3 2020-07-03 16:10:38

Arcurus

i would suggest to give a person who eats three times in a row a one pipe food an /ill emote and make them slow x0.8 for 20 sec and hinder them to eat other one pipe food in this time.

To let them not starve to death all at once i suggest to slow movement speed down x0.5 if you are 30 sec close to death, but give them halve food need.

So they have actually 60 sec instead of 30 sec to death. Also the speed reduction helps other to catch them and feed them.

Of course the speed reduction could scale according to how close you are to death....

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-07-04 07:09:12)

#4 2020-07-03 16:10:56

sigmen4020

DestinyCall wrote:

How will the game let the new player know that they cannot eat anymore berries?   

If they just can't eat them, I expect a lot of new people will just straight up die.

They could get a warning, kinda like how you get notified when you need to eat more food for hungry work.

Like get a “yuck” emote and then a notification that says: “eat something else”

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-07-03 16:14:18)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#5 2020-07-03 16:15:35

Arcurus

sigmen4020 wrote:

... eat something else or die!

#6 2020-07-03 16:18:28

sigmen4020

Arcurus wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:

... eat something else or die!

*evil laughter*

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#7 2020-07-03 17:17:44

Gogo
Banned

They should be sick, visible sick, after eating the same. 5 times in a row - you're sick, 10 times - you can't eat. It will scare them off as good as death, but our gene score won't be affected.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-07-03 17:20:42)

#8 2020-07-03 17:43:55

The_Anabaptist

Or you could just plant and water the berry bushes that you need.  Over planting just encourages over eating.

The_Anabaptist

#9 2020-07-03 18:20:20

DestinyCall

Gogo wrote:

They should be sick, visible sick, after eating the same. 5 times in a row - you're sick, 10 times - you can't eat. It will scare them off as good as death, but our gene score won't be affected.

Projectile vomiting.   The most visible sign of illness.

#10 2020-07-04 06:16:09

Mr.XIX

Visible sick.

New players don't realize they do something "wrong" when emptying 3 berry bushes.

This is a core problem. That's why an ill like emotion has to be added, just like the craving / bad biome emote.

#11 2020-07-04 07:06:13

Arcurus

The_Anabaptist wrote:

Or you could just plant and water the berry bushes that you need.  Over planting just encourages over eating.

The_Anabaptist

in practice this is very hard, since if you plant too less, you have none for compost or sheeps or pies. If you gate them, then you have lots of extra work to give access, open / close gate, and collecting berries is very time consuming task which normally is good for noobs to do.

#12 2020-07-04 07:27:21

Arcurus

reported the problem on github, lets see what comes out.

#13 2020-07-04 16:29:07

Coconut Fruit

Bad idea. Yumming is optional and not necessary. It's a bad suggestion and definitely not an issue worth posting on github.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#14 2020-07-04 16:41:18

Lava

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Bad idea. Yumming is optional and not necessary. It's a bad suggestion and definitely not an issue worth posting on github.

Sayings it’s optional is really deception. The game revolves around yum. If you don’t yum, you die. It’s very simple. I’ve taught about 100 or so new players and the trick of having them NOT die in the middle of a lesson is teaching them how to yum.

/il  Green Face

#15 2020-07-05 00:49:33

Solbusaur

I like this visibly sick thing everyone else was thinking. I don't know if it should have much actual effect on the player though. The most it should do is start taking away your extra yum pips instead of preventing you from eating, or taking away from your proper food pips.
There's also an issue with this '5-in-a-row' where you could switch to carrots every 4th berry, then this counter reset. Maybe if it was a number of repeat eatings in a given time frame.
It's also a problem for eve camps where the only food around is berries, burdocks, onions and carrots. It should only be applicable if the food itself only counts for one pip, like in deep lineage civilisations

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#16 2020-07-05 06:21:54

DestinyCall

I'd rather have a more involve nutrition bar with different foods filling up different bars.    For example, there could be three or four food categories - veg/fruit, grain, meat, dairy.   Berries would only fill up the fruit/veg bar, but something like a berry/rabbit pie would fill fruit/veg, meat, and grains.   You'd want to eat a balanced diet to stay healthy.

#17 2020-07-05 15:04:20

QuirkySmirkyIan

DestinyCall wrote:

I'd rather have a more involve nutrition bar with different foods filling up different bars.    For example, there could be three or four food categories - veg/fruit, grain, meat, dairy.   Berries would only fill up the fruit/veg bar, but something like a berry/rabbit pie would fill fruit/veg, meat, and grains.   You'd want to eat a balanced diet to stay healthy.

I already told Jason to add eco food diet on discord and he replied with "I'm friends with the devs from eco." This was when he was talking about the spice update.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#18 2020-07-05 16:03:04

DestinyCall

I've never played Eco.   I just don't think that OHOL's food system really captures the concept of a varied diet in a logical way.    Y

You could say that yum and cravings "work" because you are rewarded for eating new foods and it encourages people to make even the worst foods available, but it isn't realistic or intuitive for new players.

I'd also say that having certain foods be eaten more than other foods IS actually true to life.   Most cultures have certain food staples that they commonly eat.   Like rice, corn, or wheat.   It would be neat if the food crafting tree was reorganized in such a way that different villages had a good reason to establish a unique diet compared with other villages.    Like the desert people grow wheat and make wheat-based foods and the jungle people grow more corn-based foods due to biome-exclusive food items favoring certain combinations.

The current crafting tree does not support this kind of diversification, beyond jungle tribes having more access to certain plants.

#19 2020-07-06 07:52:03

Arcurus

DestinyCall wrote:

I've never played Eco.   I just don't think that OHOL's food system really captures the concept of a varied diet in a logical way.    Y

You could say that yum and cravings "work" because you are rewarded for eating new foods and it encourages people to make even the worst foods available, but it isn't realistic or intuitive for new players.

I'd also say that having certain foods be eaten more than other foods IS actually true to life.   Most cultures have certain food staples that they commonly eat.   Like rice, corn, or wheat.   It would be neat if the food crafting tree was reorganized in such a way that different villages had a good reason to establish a unique diet compared with other villages.    Like the desert people grow wheat and make wheat-based foods and the jungle people grow more corn-based foods due to biome-exclusive food items favoring certain combinations.

The current crafting tree does not support this kind of diversification, beyond jungle tribes having more access to certain plants.

i would swuggest to separate food for suvival, food for health and food for pestiege (score).

food for survial would be base food value plus double food value if it is yum.

yum could affect movementspeed, max age and gene scroe.

Board footer