#1 2018-04-22 07:00:48

AzureEngel

The Kevin Family

I want to recount the tale of my Eve Mother, and her Kevins

#2 2018-04-22 07:35:51

AzureEngel

Re: The Kevin Family

Lo,

Mother of golden hair and fair skin, lost in the wilds. I was born to her, much the skin of my dark father. She clutched me to her chest as she ran through emerald fields and fair groves.

I learnt my Mother was young in soul, but eager to learn the world. Aged by my many lives, I felt eager hope to teach a new Mother fresh to the land. She bestowed upon me the name of Kevin. I felt hope rise.

When my hands would grasp, I eagerly grabbed at the berries of the bushes beside us. Mother clutched her my next brother, named akin to me but unique. I fed myself, then grabbed the sharp stone she had clumsily mashed to a boulder. I ran to the reeds within her sight, and cut them. My Mother cried out "Watch him go!" I grabbed the bundle, and placed it beside my Mother's feet. I ran to the nearest reeds to be found. Cut them. Fetched first the stone to my Mother, who warned my young brother to not trust her knowledge.
I ran back with my reeds, then by her side I wove a basket.

Lo my Mother cried "My Kevin, a little genius!"

My heart sang with happiness, that I taught her to weave. I clutched the basket and began to run just out of her sight, searching for more food to keep her and my brother fed. Not far from her, but out of her eyes, I found another bush, laden and heavy with ripened fruit. I bolted back to her, and in my youth stumbled over my words. Only able to cry "Follo".

My Mother of Golden Hair followed me clutching my Brother. I brought her to the ripe fruit and she exclaimed "My Kevin! You are a godsend!"
I feared for her health, so I bade her "Mom, Eat". She thanked me for worrying over her health, and she ate of the new bush.

I grabbed her sharp stone, and showed her how to dig up burdock roots. I in my awkward youth speech told her the root would fill her belly far more than the berries.

More Brothers bearing much akin names to Kevin were born as I searched the forests and groves in emerald fields. Looking for water, seeking rabbits. I could not walk without tripping over milkweed, I could not run without falling over wild onions and young burdock.

I realized I was in a land of plenty unlike any I had been born to before.

I warned each of my young brothers, to keep Mother safe. My Mother of Golden Hair warned each child she was young in soul, but willing to grow. For us to not hold our hopes high, not to be impressed.

My Brothers few found reeds for baskets, but all had hands. All had hands that grabbed sharp stones, dug burdock. Spun milkweed into thread. All my Brothers worthy and hale, brought food to lay around our Mother's feet. She graced each of us with smiles and thanks.

Many brothers and I begged our Mother to hope and continue having children, for hope of a sister. A sister who would continue our family line.
One of my Brothers taught our Mother how to place a name upon herself, and my brothers bold bore her name that was lost to me. The first born, rushing the wilds with only the name Kevin to cloth myself.

Lo!
To the south I found what I searched for, a marsh full of ponds. Hale with fowl and abundant with reeds. More than ten ponds in one stride from edge to edge. With souring heart I ran back north to my Mother, to exclaim that I found the perfect place for her Farm.
She bore the sorrowful news, of a daughter had been born. I noticed the fresh bones by my Golden Haired Mother, so fresh with grief. I felt the sorrow, but bade her to continue hope for a Daughter to carry her name and carry the Kevins of Prowess along the world!

I caught a passing brother to ask if he had seen any rabbits or golden lands. He with sorrow recounted no, and gathered food to keep himself hale. My Mother, eager young soul she was, ran to us. Clutching a second daughter, a new Sister for us to dote upon! Graced as the others with her own variant strong and unique of Kevin. We bade welcome our little Sister, wished her strength and health.

I set to building the farm. In hale youth, without out a man's whisker upon my face. I found the prairie several strides south of the farm stead. I found seeds and rabbits within grasp. I ran back and immediately set about making the farm ready to support my Mother of Golden Hair and my Sister strong.
I grew a curly mustache under my nose before I felt the new land secure for my Glorious Mother and my Sister.

With the farm ready to receive the beginnings of a mighty kingdom, I ran the quick strides from the marsh into the emerald sea. Running for my Mother's home marker, our agreed upon place so my Brothers and I could keep her hale and fed.

I tripped over bones.

Horror filled me as I tripped over more and more bones. The bones of my brothers, in a land of plenty. With out a single Bear to maim. Without a single Wolf to hunt. Without a single Snake to fear. Food abundant around and growing ripe everywhere.
No speck of blood upon the emerald blades.
I found fresh bones in the grass, not far from Mother's home marker. And a second set, of smaller, younger bones. Just as fresh.

Not believing what I saw, bones surrounded by food without cause for death. I began screaming for my Mother, my Brothers, my Sister.

I ran through the emerald fields, darted through the groves and forests. Tripped over food of all kinds, fresh to be eaten.

I found no Mother of Golden Hair. No Sister young. No Brothers Bold.

Bones
Bones
Bones.

I returned to my farm. Shocked and in horror. Missing the family I adored. Bearing only my name Kevin, without my Mother's family name. With nothing else to cloth me but my mustache and head of hair.

Numb, I built a kiln. I pitched bowls. I tilled the earth. I sow seeds. In my aching loneliness I took a wandering Seal as my pet, calling him Puppy.
I created fire, and all the tools along with it. I fired my kiln for the first time in all my lives, and baked bowls.

I wondered a moment if I should let myself perish.

I watered crops, I harvested. I wove baskets.

I grabbed my beloved first basket, the one my Mother had called me a Genius for weaving by her side. I strode, numb, through the wilds. To golden sands abundant with rabbits and carrots. I placed snare methodically hole over hole, hunting the scarce families of rabbits.
I ate my harvest with no joy.
I gathered a basket of dead rabbits. All as dead as my Family of Kevins.
I came back to my farm. I put my basket down and began more work. Clinging to a scrap of hope I would run into my Sister Strong, or a Brother Bold.

When I reached for my basket, it had fallen apart. I stared in abject sorrow. Realizing thirty years had passed since my making. It had been many years since I had seen or spoken to anyone. Anyone who wasn't a seal named puppy.

I stood upon a farm, most excellent and ready to support a thriving people. Alone and without joy. I crawled into a corner of my farm, so I could look upon it.

I felt death keep me company, as I let them take me away. Leaving my bones to stare over my farm, far from the emerald sea of groves and plenty. Full of the bones of the Kevins killed by unknown measures.

Honour to the Fair Eve, who gave this old soul fresh hope and fleeting good memories.

Last edited by AzureEngel (2018-04-22 07:38:20)

#3 2018-04-22 10:07:53

PeyoteCoyote

Re: The Kevin Family

That was beautiful. I've been a lonely last son standing a few times today...I had a horse named Simon.

Board footer