One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#76 2018-04-20 17:58:54

Roolstar

Re: VirtualBox image with Ubuntu and OHOL test server pre-installed

Hey OP,

Ran my private server today and ran the pullandbuild commands to update.

And now the game is acting funny with weird objects spawning and even crashing after some actions.

Anything I can do to fix this? I hope I can keep my progress, but that's not a priority.

Hope you can help, thx

UPDATE: I think this is because of the new update where tools get worn out with time. Maybe when my game updates it would work out.

Last edited by Roolstar (2018-04-20 19:18:52)

God is still learning to use His powers; and just like with any other mortal, it's gonna require both mistakes and time.

Only to eventually discover He did not create the world he always wanted, but the world he was forced to create.

#77 2018-04-20 19:26:39

Bimble

If you have a version of the image with a "refreshBuildScript.sh" script in the ohol-build directory, run that, then try the pullandbuild script again.  If you don't have the refresh script, go to the ohol-build script and run this command:

wget -N https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/master/scripts/pullAndBuildTestSystem.sh

That will grab the latest version of the pullandbuild script, which got updated with a couple commands that might help clean things up behind the scenes.  Even if it says that it didn't update anything after you run it, try restarting the game server to see if it helped.

And just in case you haven't:  Try switching your game client to use the main servers to it will update to the latest version, then switch back to using the custom server and try again.

Another thing to try is to go into the OneLife/server directory and run these commands, then restart the game server and try again:

./makeDBConvert
./updateDBs.sh

If that doesn't do it, restart the VM just to make absolutely sure there isn't a copy of the game server running.

Then if all else fails, you can remove the existing world data by going to the OneLife/server directory and running:

rm *.db
rm testMapStale.txt

And at that point I'll be out of ideas, so I hope something worked.

#78 2018-04-20 21:26:14

Roolstar

I did run both before my post:

sh refreshBuildScript.sh
sh pullAndBuildTestSystem.sh

Both exist and ran as usual (I almost always start with those before running the private server)

Now I ran:

./makeDBConvert <  After a couple of seconds, the terminal just goes to another line with nothing that showed running (maybe that's normal)

However ./updateDBs.sh gives me the error that the file does not exist (I checked the OneLife/server forlder and updateDBs.sh does not exist there)

restarted VM

And now when i try to run the server ./OneLifeServer as i usually do it does not run, it just jumps to another line with the server directory waiting for me to type

So again I tried:
sh refreshBuildScript.sh

works normally and pull says already up-to-date then runs

Tried to run server again, no luck.

Restarted machine

Tried fetching the pullandbuild with the link you suggested. It worked and said the file was saved.

Ran both refresh and pull again

restarted machine

Tried to run server again no luck

Did i mess this up with my n00biness?

Last edited by Roolstar (2018-04-20 21:57:42)

God is still learning to use His powers; and just like with any other mortal, it's gonna require both mistakes and time.

Only to eventually discover He did not create the world he always wanted, but the world he was forced to create.

#79 2018-04-21 15:54:11

Babsy

Since Jason's latest update I get a version mismatch. It says the client is version 80 and my server is version 75.

I did run these several times and restarted the server:
sh refreshBuildScript.sh
and some stuff got updated but still I get a mismatch sad

does anyone else have this problem? and how can i fix it?

it seems that the refreshBuildScript.sh doesn't get updated
5efgpu.png

Last edited by Babsy (2018-04-21 17:10:46)

#80 2018-04-21 21:35:55

llap

@Babsy:

perhaps you have to go to the server directory and change the file called serverCodeVersionNumber.txt? Fill in that file 80 manually.

( I didn´t updated to version80 until now, don´t know if that ist your problem, but some updates before it was mine smile )

llap Olli

#81 2018-04-21 21:41:48

llap

@roolstar

perhaps you have to download the server again and try it again. It helped with my problems some days ago.

llap Olli

#82 2018-04-22 01:10:52

Bimble

You might also make sure the old version of the server isn't still running.  Easiest way to do that is to reboot the VM.  The latest version of the server (when I post this) is 78 - check inside the file Ilap mentions above (serverCodeVersionNumber.txt), and if it's 78 or higher, then it's almost certainly that an old version of the server is still running on the system.

#83 2018-04-22 05:33:44

Roolstar

Simply deleted the old server and created a new one from scratch. Solved the issue. Deleted my previous progress (That's fine)

Does anyone know how I can enable/disable items decay on the private server? Tried to look around settings, couldn't find any file that seemed to affect that. I really don't want to have rebuilt everything every time I log in to my private server.

#84 2018-04-22 07:44:18

llap

read above! smile

you can disable map culling with

mapCellForgottenSeconds.ini = 0

thx to "If" ...

llap Olli

#85 2018-04-22 07:51:02

Roolstar

llap wrote:

read above! smile

thx to "If" ...

Thx. Didn't know map culling affected decay of items as well

#86 2018-04-22 11:19:58

Babsy

I redid everything with a new clone of my old server (which runs fine on vs 75). I can login on the clone with my old client so there is no problem there.

My new client runs vs 82 and works on the official servers.

I update the clone, which should have worked because the serverCodeVersionNumber.txt reads 78. I restarted the VM several times and also my whole pc, just to make sure nothing is running. But now I get a version mismatch again "client is 82, server is 75".

I just don't get it..  How can an old version of the server be running after this?

I ran https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jason … tSystem.sh
restarted and ran pullAndBuildTestSystem.sh, then I get this reading:

ohol@ohol:~/ohol-build$ sh pullAndBuildTestSystem.sh
Already up-to-date.

Last edited by Babsy (2018-04-22 11:36:27)

#87 2018-04-22 11:20:40

sammoh

Roolstar wrote:
llap wrote:

read above! smile

thx to "If" ...

It doesnt. You will need to edit the transitions manually, or remove them. This is best accomplished in the editor. PM me on discord for help.

Two Hours, One Life - a curated OHOL server with heavy modifications.

Discord:     https://discord.gg/atEgxm7
Address:          https://github.com/frankvalentine/clients

#88 2018-04-22 11:24:29

sammoh

Babsy wrote:

I redid everything with a new clone of my old server (which runs fine on vs 75). I can login on the clone with my old client so there is no problem there.

My new client runs vs 82 and works on the official servers.

I update the clone, which should have worked because the serverCodeVersionNumber.txt reads 78. I restarted the VM several times and also my whole pc, just to make sure nothing is running. But now I get a version mismatch again "client is 82, server is 75".

I just don't get it..  How can an old version of the server be running after this?

Do you have a symlink to dataVersionNumber.txt?

#89 2018-04-22 11:44:37

Babsy

sammoh wrote:

Do you have a symlink to dataVersionNumber.txt?

Even after I looked up de definition of "symlink" I have no clue how to check that. My understanding of programming and server management is very basic.

#90 2018-04-22 11:59:21

Babsy

Bimble wrote:
Troubleshooting

..the old version of the server might still be running in the background.  The easiest way to resolve this would be to reboot the VM by running the command:

reboot

After rebooting this way, which I didn't try yet, instead of server mismatch, I get "Login failed."

I checked the server custom files of my new client and they are as they should be: "1""localhost" and "8005".

What could be the problem now?

#91 2018-04-22 12:20:07

sammoh

Babsy wrote:
Bimble wrote:
Troubleshooting

..the old version of the server might still be running in the background.  The easiest way to resolve this would be to reboot the VM by running the command:

reboot

After rebooting this way, which I didn't try yet, instead of server mismatch, I get "Login failed."

I checked the server custom files of my new client and they are as they should be: "1""localhost" and "8005".

What could be the problem now?

Part of the server setup instructions are to [ln -s ../../dataVersionNumber.txt]

If you do not do this, your version number may be incorrect for the server code you are running.

#92 2018-04-22 12:44:13

Babsy

dataVersionNumber.txt reads the number 82.

I should make this 78? because this is the server version?

Well I manually made OneLifeData7/dataVersionNumber.txt from 82 to 78, reboot the VM and I still get "login failed".

Last edited by Babsy (2018-04-22 12:49:35)

#93 2018-04-22 13:08:58

Babsy

Bimble wrote:

If you have a version of the image with a "refreshBuildScript.sh" script in the ohol-build directory, run that, then try the pullandbuild script again.  If you don't have the refresh script, go to the ohol-build script and run this command:

wget -N https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/master/scripts/pullAndBuildTestSystem.sh

That will grab the latest version of the pullandbuild script, which got updated with a couple commands that might help clean things up behind the scenes.  Even if it says that it didn't update anything after you run it, try restarting the game server to see if it helped.

And just in case you haven't:  Try switching your game client to use the main servers to it will update to the latest version, then switch back to using the custom server and try again.

Another thing to try is to go into the OneLife/server directory and run these commands, then restart the game server and try again:

./makeDBConvert
./updateDBs.sh

If that doesn't do it, restart the VM just to make absolutely sure there isn't a copy of the game server running.

Then if all else fails, you can remove the existing world data by going to the OneLife/server directory and running:

rm *.db
rm testMapStale.txt

And at that point I'll be out of ideas, so I hope something worked.

So I ran ./makeDBConvert, then ./updateDBs.sh, but get this message:

ohol@ohol:~/ohol-build/OneLife/server$ ./updateDBs.sh
bash: ./updateDBs.sh: No such file or directory

I checked and that file is indeed not in the directory.

Rebooting  after did not fix my problem.

I ran rm *.db and rm testMapStale.txt after this. I did not see any feed back in the terminal. I rebooted again and still get "Login failed". I am not sure if my data got indeed deleted.

It worked after I restarted the server... (I thought a reboot is also a restart, but I guess I was wrong about that).

Now I spawned in a new map, so my data was deleted.

I am not happy with this. I want it to work with my existing map. So I will try again. I think now the login failed because the server had to be restarted instead of only reboot.

Last edited by Babsy (2018-04-22 15:02:11)

#94 2018-04-22 14:55:01

Babsy

So I started again from scratch and got a clone from my old server updated to version 82.

I rebooted and restarted after running "wget -N https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/master/scripts/pullAndBuildTestSystem.sh"  and sh pullAndBuildTestSystem.sh and can now login with my new client!

Hoorah I was thinking, untill I got to my sheep pen and they all got replaced by different items. Checking around I found several other items that shouldn't be there.

So now what is the problem?? The file dataVersionNumber.txt = 82 and my client is version 82.

@coolstar I read that you actually had the same problem after this update, that items were weird. You started over, but I like to be able to keep my own map.

Did anyone else update their server yet and got it to work?

Last edited by Babsy (2018-04-22 15:31:20)

#95 2018-04-22 15:07:26

llap

sammoh wrote:
Roolstar wrote:
llap wrote:

read above! smile

thx to "If" ...

It doesnt. You will need to edit the transitions manually, or remove them. This is best accomplished in the editor. PM me on discord for help.

Oh .. I hoped it will do! Perhaps you can explain how to save the items and builded things before updating so that you can keep all your stuff! Is there "one" file with the information which you can save and copy to the new server? Thx for help! I guess there are many of us who would be interested in that solution!

llap Olli

#96 2018-04-22 15:27:03

Babsy

llap wrote:
sammoh wrote:
Roolstar wrote:

Oh .. I hoped it will do! Perhaps you can explain how to save the items and builded things before updating so that you can keep all your stuff! Is there "one" file with the information which you can save and copy to the new server? Thx for help! I guess there are many of us who would be interested in that solution!

I tried to copy the db files from my old server to the new one, but vmbox won't let me paste files from one server to another one sad

#97 2018-04-27 02:04:59

Roolstar

> After running the server with ./OneLifeServer; I become unable to change values of the settings files, I get "unable to save file disk is full" error. Never seen that before. I tested and I can change them just fine before running the server, but not after <

Is there a setting where i can increase the memory size allocated to the server for example?

Then when I turn off the machine and start it again, I can't get past the Login screen, if I type in "ohol" as a passoword, it flahses, tried to start, then goes back to the login screen where I need to enter "ohol" again. It does not say Incorrect password, it just loops.

Anyway OP, do you think that maybe if you upload a newer server image, I can use it instead of the old one and fix my issues that way?

UPDATE: I managed to increase the size of my virtual drive by following this guide: http://derekmolloy.ie/resize-a-virtualbox-disk/ which solved this issue

Last edited by Roolstar (2018-04-28 17:21:19)

#98 2018-04-28 14:23:58

Roolstar

If anyone's having "Not enough space" errors after update, it's because OP original image had a small size.

I managed to increase the size of my virtual drive by following this guide: http://derekmolloy.ie/resize-a-virtualbox-disk/

You may find that useful

#99 2018-04-28 15:44:12

Babsy

Roolstar wrote:

Then when I turn off the machine and start it again, I can't get past the Login screen, if I type in "ohol" as a passoword, it flahses, tried to start, then goes back to the login screen where I need to enter "ohol" again. It does not say Incorrect password, it just loops.

Anyway OP, do you think that maybe if you upload a newer server image, I can use it instead of the old one and fix my issues that way?

The same is happening with my server after rebooting. Too bad I can no longer run my own server now Q.Q

#100 2018-04-28 17:19:35

Roolstar

Babsy wrote:
Roolstar wrote:

The same is happening with my server after rebooting. Too bad I can no longer run my own server now Q.Q

My post just above yours should fix that, try it out in case you missed it

Board footer