One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-21 21:14:37

KucheKlizma

How to fix the decay system

Here's some straightforward suggestions:

1) Shouldn't cause server kicking out everyone - that should go without saying, and it's obviously #1 priority

2) Metal shouldn't decay, itself. It doesn't make any sense either realism-wise or game-wise -it's way too punishing considering it's a non-renewable resource. If a metal tool breaks it should be possible to repair it by separating the head with a sharp stone, then recycling it into a new steel bar as a quick fix.

3) Milkweed needs to be adjusted. Each milkweed harvested should provide a full string (2x resource gain). It was a nightmare getting clothes and milkweed in general before this change.

4) Combining two broken baskets should yield one basket. This would basically reduce decay by half, while also handling the garbage problem.

5) Combining two ragged/decaying clothes into a stack and using a flint should yield a full stack of rabbit scraps back. Mostly for garbage handling, but also a little bit of recycling.

* (new addition) 6) Stones... Need to grow on trees or something...

I haven't actually played on it much to be honest, I kept getting dropped by the server with "connection lost", but by reading trough the changes and people's complaints I think I got  some grasp on what's wrong.
If I made a mistake or if anyone has other ideas feel free to add.

Last edited by KucheKlizma (2018-04-22 02:28:33)

#2 2018-04-21 21:59:49

stickyflypaper

Re: How to fix the decay system

KucheKlizma wrote:

4) Combining two broken baskets should yield one basket. This would basically reduce decay by half, while also handling the garbage problem.

Yes. Also, it would be great (and make perfect sense) if broken baskets could be burned as kindling.

#3 2018-04-21 22:04:20

Artarda

Imo, you should be able to use a broken steel tool on a fire to get "scrap steel" back, which could then be recycled into a fresh steel bar. As a concrete construction worker, I know plenty of guys who burn out their ash wood handles to reuse the head of the tool once its broken; the steel outlasts the wood almost infinitely. And that's using a hammer on more steel.

Stone tools should be able to be recycled into kindling or something, just to get rid of them more efficiently.

I like the broken baskets idea, but if that sounds too useful, should be able to burn them in a fire. By the time the basket is dried up and broken it would be rather flammable, if it's a standard wicker basket.

Ragged clothing should be able to be repaired during the "not entirely ragged" stage using the rabbit hide patches. Maybe even make "Patched Fur" clothing, as to make the rabbit fur cuttings have additional uses? A lot of ancient cultures relied on repairing their damaged tools and clothing, and I feel like this would be a great opportunity to implement a repair system.

#4 2018-04-21 22:41:02

KucheKlizma

Artarda wrote:

Imo, you should be able to use a broken steel tool on a fire to get "scrap steel" back, which could then be recycled into a fresh steel bar. As a concrete construction worker, I know plenty of guys who burn out their ash wood handles to reuse the head of the tool once its broken; the steel outlasts the wood almost infinitely. And that's using a hammer on more steel.

I thought the same, but the game currently doesn't distinguish between different broken tools. Otherwise I also think it should be possible to simply reattach the head (maybe after a polish if it's a sharpened tool like the saw), but for that we'd need "broken pickaxe", "broken ax" etc to be a thing, instead of generic "Broken Steel Tool". It's the better solution, but would take more steps to develop. Alternatively, maybe when a steel tool breaks it should only leave the head, and skip the broken tool phase.

I also second your other idea about patching clothes, I was mostly focused on simplicity when formulating suggestions - path of least resistance to fix the problem. So my suggestions aren't focused on being the best, but rather on the fastest to accomplish in the interim before a next major feature release.

Last edited by KucheKlizma (2018-04-21 22:45:12)

#5 2018-04-22 05:29:19

Drakulon

stickyflypaper wrote:
KucheKlizma wrote:

Yes. Also, it would be great (and make perfect sense) if broken baskets could be burned as kindling.

Nice idea i like it.
But i think decay should be slowed down in general by a lot.
Right now it takes 30 min for a basket to break? I would like it to take atleast 180 min (3 life times), in addition to the combining two broken baskets idea

Board footer