One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-23 07:07:26

Guy

Should the rift return?

Case for the rift

1: Easier to find other towns, Interactions happen more often.

2: Everything is impactful, You can't just migrate away from issues

3: Feasible use for "forgotten" tech like Engine drill, Plane to escape etc.

Case against rift

1: Opportunity for griefers to destroy/waste map resources on perpose.

2: You can't survive forever.

3: Being Eve is very rare, No escape from towns.

Last edited by Guy (2020-06-23 07:09:51)

#2 2020-06-23 07:35:46

Dodge

Re: Should the rift return?

The rift?

No

A map similar to the real world with oceans, biomes etc and not infinite like currently?

Definitly yes

#3 2020-06-23 07:50:21

Guy

Dodge wrote:

The rift?

No

A map similar to the real world with oceans, biomes etc and not infinite like currently?

Definitly yes

What benefit would that have over the rift?

#4 2020-06-23 09:06:23

Arcurus

Guy wrote:
Dodge wrote:

The rift?

No

Definitly yes

What benefit would that have over the rift?

It would feel more natural...

In away a simple ocean, that makes a more natural border and forms some kind of continent (not just straight lines) would be enough to start with.

Guy wrote:

Case against rift

if the map is bigger then the rift and natural resources (except iron) would come back over time, then griefers would have a hard time to griefe against the renewing nature , you could survive forever, but you would need to bring resources from more far away with time, or migrate. If the map is balanced right enough and iron not family bound, you could create offspring towns.

so 1+2+3 becomes only a problem is the maps is chosen too small.

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-06-23 12:33:27)

#5 2020-06-23 11:16:04

voy178

It would be plausible if instead of a rift we just got one big island in an ocean. Bigger than the rift was ofc with limited regeneration.

#6 2020-06-23 12:03:11

Catfive

Dodge wrote:

The rift?

No

Definitly yes

there was a thread back in 2018 where he explained why this wasn't doable (oceans/rivers)

#7 2020-06-23 12:16:06

Arcurus

Catfive wrote:
Dodge wrote:

The rift?

No

Definitly yes

there was a thread back in 2018 where he explained why this wasn't doable (oceans/rivers)

Do you have a link to the post?

at least ocean / sees are in two hours one life, so if they managed it, seems doable.

Rivers would be similar to oceans, if they should not influence the water logic, they could be made salty or poisoned out of whatever reason....

Found this one:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 521#p68521

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yeah, the existing rift is just place-holder to test the idea.  It might be water or something in the future.

And there might be ways to cross it in the future.

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-06-23 12:30:39)

#8 2020-06-23 12:23:02

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

No.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#9 2020-06-23 14:23:29

Grim_Arbiter

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

No.

Heh

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#10 2020-06-23 14:49:27

fug

Why not just make it easier to move lineages next to each other?

We seen yesterday you can transplant a lineage next to an older town and both lineages thrive.

I was the gen 3 Summers female that moved the Summers as close as possible to the Mae family in order for lineages to actually be able to interact with each other. It wasn't an easy start but things eventually did work out pretty well once things settled down enough.

If I was going to take anything away from this it's that the iron nerf was really unnecessary as we're STILL not using diesel picks like Jason wanted and instead it just works as a means to slow down iron production instead of making iron precious.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#11 2020-06-23 15:02:11

DestinyCall

Guy wrote:

Case for the rift

1: Easier to find other towns, Interactions happen more often.

2: Everything is impactful, You can't just migrate away from issues

3: Feasible use for "forgotten" tech like Engine drill, Plane to escape etc.

Case against rift

Did you actually play during the Rift?    Eve was not rare.  It was so common, you could practically set your watch to it. Plane was rendered useless once Jason realized people were trying to escape his torture box.  And once we hit the end of the tech tree, entire towns would start to tear themselves apart from the inside because of boredom, frustration, and a desire for a fresh box of sand.   

I do miss the huge wandering flocks of bears in the Rift.  Riding across the land with twenty majestic beasts let me feel like the Tiger King.

#12 2020-06-23 16:01:01

Dodge

Catfive wrote:
Dodge wrote:

The rift?

No

Definitly yes

It's actually possible but the way the map is created would need to be changed.

#13 2020-06-23 16:14:51

DestinyCall

Dodge wrote:
Catfive wrote:
Dodge wrote:

The rift?

No

Definitly yes

It's actually possible but the way the map is created would need to be changed.

Yeah, the problem wasn't that oceans/rivers cannot be done in this game, but more that they would not be done.    Jason was concerned that oceans were "beyond the scope" of a one-man project.   I suspect that Jason's vision of oceans and rivers was pretty epic.   A scaled-down version of oceans and rivers would be no different than anything that has already been done, like impassable oceans/mountains that work like the Rift to block travel in multiple directions.   Or rivers that can only be traveled by bridge or boat.   

I doubt the game engine can handle flowing water and reflective surfaces, but that isn't what we need from OHOL water.   We just need natural borders and tech-locked advancement.    Of course, the bigger problem is how to deal with an entire ocean of water in a game that has been designed around water as the most precious of all resources.

#14 2020-06-23 16:24:09

Arcurus

DestinyCall wrote:

We just need natural borders and tech-locked advancement.    Of course, the bigger problem is how to deal with an entire ocean of water in a game that has been designed around water as the most precious of all resources.

its salt water, so only the salt would be abundant....

Of course in theory we can justify anything, like poisoned ocean / rivers... for sure not harder to explain then family iron.

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-06-23 16:24:39)

#15 2020-06-23 17:23:45

DestinyCall

If only there was some way to make salt water drinkable.   But of course .. that's crazy talk.

#16 2020-06-23 17:50:34

Arcurus

DestinyCall wrote:

If only there was some way to make salt water drinkable.   But of course .. that's crazy talk.

such crazy ideas!

#17 2020-06-23 18:21:00

DestinyCall

Honestly, I felt silly even suggesting it.

Forget I said anything.

#18 2020-06-23 18:58:40

Coconut Fruit

I'm worried we would have an apocalypse every 15 hours.

How did it work before? Eves were spawning only first 10 hours after an apocalypse, and then apocalypse happened when only one fam left. But we didn't need all races to survive back then.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#19 2020-06-23 20:30:56

Catfive

Coconut Fruit wrote:

I'm worried we would have an apocalypse every 15 hours.

How did it work before? Eves were spawning only first 10 hours after an apocalypse, and then apocalypse happened when only one fam left. But we didn't need all races to survive back then.

it is already one of the easiest games to grief. if solo killing isn't brought back properly it would be griefer heaven

#20 2020-06-23 20:42:33

Jojigirl

No!

#21 2020-06-23 21:39:51

Spoonwood

I didn't play *at all* during The Rift.  It was bad for bigserver2 and for low pop.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#22 2020-06-23 22:17:10

JackTreehorn

JackTreehorn wrote:

What if the white family was the seafaring family and an ocean ran along the north border of the eve grid (not islands or rivers). The ocean could consist of deepwater (Rift tiles) then shallows then sandy beach. shallows the white family could walk through, deep water is impassable, and sandy beach could have their waystones. White family could craft and be the only family who can use boats which can only travel in the shallows but could be as fast or faster than a horse. Boats could get damaged over time and need their sails repaired.

White people could set up harbors north of where the families are settled and distribute latex, kerosene, sulfur ect. You know how Jason wants those snails for purple dye, have a guess where they live...

Expanding on an idea I raised in another thread but seemed suitable for this thread.
This partial rift would allow for the ocean to act as a prebuilt highway to ferry supplies to individual races.
The language speciality would work well with their role as trader.
There would also be a choice for eves whether to settle near the coast where they could trade with the white people but have more barren wilderness nearby or to go further inland where wilderness is more abundant.
Harbour settlements could be built and notes left for white people asking them for the goods needed.
Eve spawns would stay the same with older towns getting further away, however it may give more time to those towns as white people may still be able to reach them if the boats travel faster than a horse but not as fast as a car.

Last edited by JackTreehorn (2020-06-23 22:17:47)

Eve Audette

#23 2020-06-24 03:12:02

Villas

An Earth-like world would be amazing, with continents and ocean (ocean is just a blue ground where you can’t walk on it, I think the engine can handle that). We could have big continents for each family, living X years in a continent would make the next generations experts (whatever the color is), so a family could split and one part could become experts in deserts and the other experts in jungle. I don’t like the fast-travel idea, but it would make things easier and we already have that for planes. With the past of the time, the sea could get more complexity. Also, a natural resources regeneration could be added, so if an island/continent is depleted because people explored it a lot, it would regenerate its natural resources slowly, and after 100 or perhaps 1000 years, it would be regenerated.

For rivers, we could have floods, so it wouldn’t be good to make a farm near the river, otherwise it would get destroyed. So, if people want to use river water instead of well water, they would have to travel to the rivers and bring buckets full of water back (like they do when they build a secondary well to get extra water), also, river water couldn’t be used for cooking unless it is filtered (what requires tech). The river could have dangers, like crocodiles, snakes, so getting water from rivers would be very risky.
But then with tech enough, they could choose to upgrade a well or make a pump to get river water and some water purifying machine (a distiller, a filter). So getting water from rivers wouldn’t be meta, but as hard as getting well water, requiring tech, kerosene...

The game would be cooler and more realistic, I for real believe some content update like that might happen in the future. Let me dream...

#24 2020-06-24 05:12:48

Bobo Bill

I think returning the rift would be a great idea so people could interact and meet more often. It would also lead to current real world problems like scrabble for resources and conflicts.

Last edited by Bobo Bill (2020-06-24 18:04:20)

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”

― Genghis Khan

#25 2020-06-24 07:08:11

DestinyCall

Bobo Bill wrote:

I think returning the rift would be a great idea so people could interact and meet more often. It would also lead to current real work problems like scrabble for resources and conflicts.

When Bobo likes your idea, it is probably a bad idea.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-06-24 07:23:56)

Board footer