One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-22 03:32:46

picado

Sometimes leader is not in the town.

Two days ago,

I was a member of white family.

And at the moment people were like potatoes and didn’t work except few people. No stew was in town. Although we are running out of water, the geopolitics made us impossible to have rubber, and our town had no horses.

So I wanted to find leader to demand him to organize our family.

But when I say slash leader it said a brown guy is leader of ours.
Literally we faced a situation having no leader in the town.
No one could order, no one could encourage noobs/griefers to work at the moment.
And currently we agreed we should not follow somebody who ask to follow themselves.

I had to ask my family to follow my mom because she was apparent hard worker on the town. Finally I did it, but, in the way, few followed me not my mom, few wanted to be queen without working.

My point is if we start to follow a lord in another town, another family,
it is not easy to have a leader of my town.

So I hope the auto leader election system excludes other family.
Additionally I am satisfied to the auto leader election system, it generally works rationally.

Last edited by picado (2020-06-22 05:07:52)

#2 2020-06-22 04:32:12

JackTreehorn

Re: Sometimes leader is not in the town.

It shouldn't be too hard to get people to follow you and then follow yourself. I get it's annoying when it happens though and it might make sense to get rid of outside families inheriting leadership if orders can't be sent that far. (which might be the case I just don't know.)

Last edited by JackTreehorn (2020-06-22 04:32:56)

Eve Audette

#3 2020-06-22 08:43:43

Catfive

it is a griefer mechanism commonly used at weekends to get leadership over two tribes and exile/kill everyone in the second tribe. if your leader is a long distance or especially from another tribe your best move is /unfollow then find someone who is working well for the tribe and say i follow you. it is messy and very hard to achieve especially when the griefer only needs his friend with high gene score in a seperate tribe to inherit leadership then say he follows you to achieve it but the game is setup to be easier to grief and harder to play to achieve longer bloodlines.

#4 2020-06-22 08:50:37

Catfive

picado wrote:

And currently we agreed we should not follow somebody who ask to follow themselves.

the main reason to forbid a player leadership should be that he wants it, yes.

griefer 1 has high gene score and auto inherits leadership in a tribe.
griefer 2 travels from his tribe to griefer 1's where g1 follows him and thus he becomes leader of a separate tribe with all g1's followers auto following g2.
g2 can now exile+kill whoever they want without gene score loss and it takes far more people to understand what is going and how to fix it to deal with it.

as i said above the game is setup to encourage griefing or at least so badly thought through it makes it easy.

#5 2020-06-22 08:50:59

The_Anabaptist

It definitely seems like an exploit/bug that a member from another race can follow the leader from another family.  That should either be fixed, or the exile command should be beefed up.

The_Anabaptist

#6 2020-06-22 15:04:14

Gogo
Banned

But people should be able to follow someone from another tribe. The leader is the one that shouldn't be able to do that.

Question. Why leaders aren't property owners (with the engine)? Shouldn't there be a command like "leader owns this"?

Last edited by Gogo (2020-06-22 15:14:51)

#7 2020-06-22 15:22:57

Villas

It happened to me yesterday, a griefer made a fence and was locking everything inside it. The leader wasn’t there, everyone cursed the griefer but we couldn’t kill her. Then we decided to follow another person, the guy who was trying to kill her. He got like 8 followers and when the griefer opened the fence to run for food we could chase her.
We did kill the evildoer, but the new leader got bitten by a wolf when going back to town and alas there was no pads available.
I think the best solution is choosing a new leader.

#8 2020-06-22 15:41:28

Lava

I have done this by accident because I usually inherit positions while leaving town and sometimes someone follows me from another fam being the leader. Yesterday I was leader of both Kong’s and Cacy but was in Cacy the entire time giving order their

#9 2020-06-22 15:46:51

Lava

I have done this by accident because I usually inherit positions while leaving town and sometimes someone follows me from another fam being the leader. Yesterday I was leader of both Kong’s and Cacy but was in Cacy the entire time giving order their

#10 2020-06-22 18:44:20

The_Anabaptist

Gogo wrote:

But people should be able to follow someone from another tribe. The leader is the one that shouldn't be able to do that.

Question. Why leaders aren't property owners (with the engine)? Shouldn't there be a command like "leader owns this"?

I'm not against non-family members following per say.  But I do think that either an additional approval step needs to happen or the exile function needs an upgrade.

Here is the exploit that I have seen:  Non-family member comes onto my screen, I'm the leader.  They are following me without me ever having seen them vocalize it.  Meaning they had a map zoom, used it to identify me as leader, and followed me without my knowledge.  They then no doubt started causing trouble in my town before I even knew that it was necessary to exile them.  I've got villagers trying to kill the troublemaker and I'm still trying to find out why they need "death".  Again, with map zoom, it is painfully easy for them to avoid me so that they don't get exiled.  Plus, they get to hear any "order" commands I'm giving out.

I think a leader should have to give their consent to a non-family member to join their tribe.  How many present day countries allow a foreigner to walk in and declare themselves a citizen?

The_Anabaptist

#11 2020-06-23 04:53:10

Gogo
Banned

Lol true and good point. Same happens today.

#12 2020-06-23 05:45:51

Zerghaikn

I think I saw this mentioned somewhere in the forums, but I think a /reelect command would be a great addition

The way I envision it is if a leader is a griefer, away from town, or some other reason you may want a new leader, then the player can use the /reelect command to start reelection. If more than 50% of the leader's followers want reelection, then the game chooses the person with the highest gene score amongst the followers.

If the leader is the person with the highest gene score still, it will ignore that leader (and all previous leaders) when deciding the next leader.

The only problem I can think of is when a leader has two or fewer followers, then anyone can reelect a new leader. For that reason, there should be a minimum number of followers before the reelection can work, I would say 5. This way at least three people need to want reelection.

#13 2020-06-23 09:55:24

Arcurus

The_Anabaptist wrote:

I think a leader should have to give their consent to a non-family member to join their tribe.  How many present day countries allow a foreigner to walk in and declare themselves a citizen?

The_Anabaptist

sounds reasonable...

and yes the exile is still overpowered / quite hard to fight back against...

I think the hole problem started, that attackers can use the hit and run tactic to kill unprepared people, a simple auto run away from strangers with weapons could solve that....

Second problem was then the over powerful posse system, which goal was to hunt down running griefers, this could be solved with reducing what griefers could do. Like limiting the pickup of stuff if they are strangers or exiled and close to not allied people. Or a proper fix to property gates to lock out the griefers if not allied...

Or simply allow also being able to fight back against posses....

#14 2020-06-23 23:03:22

merryllamax

I echo the /reelect idea. Had a leader recently that exiled (and tried to kill) someone for "cluttering the kitchen", ffs.

I'd also welcome a way to give up leadership so that it goes automatically goes to the next best qualified person. I just really don't enjoy being a leader - my gene score recently tanked so I thought it would not longer be a problem, but my last game the leader followed me before dying just after a brief interaction and I got stuck with leadership again.

/abdicate?

#15 2020-06-24 08:59:56

Arcurus

merryllamax wrote:

I echo the /reelect idea. Had a leader recently that exiled (and tried to kill) someone for "cluttering the kitchen", ffs.

actual the game could divide followers by default on the top 3 score people, so if the top leader makes non sense, you just need to persuade 2 people instead of 50%....

#16 2020-06-24 14:45:10

DestinyCall

Arcurus wrote:
merryllamax wrote:

actual the game could divide followers by default on the top 3 score people, so if the top leader makes non sense, you just need to persuade 2 people instead of 50%....

So instead of a true democracy, we would live in an oligarchy?

#17 2020-06-24 14:55:19

Arcurus

DestinyCall wrote:
Arcurus wrote:
merryllamax wrote:

So instead of a true democracy, we would live in an oligarchy?

you live in an oligarchy. Maybe not in Switzerland... maybe there also....

Its always, the one who take care have more influence then the one who have no clue no matter how in the end you call it.

And an oligarchy might in most cases be far better then an all mighty dictator.

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-06-24 14:56:17)

#18 2020-06-24 20:11:23

Gogo
Banned

If leader is not in home, system would automatically choose next person with highest gene score to be vice-leader, and next one if currently vice will go. By that, there would be always someone in charge. Would that be good? IMO no, more people means bigger thread that power will fall into wrong hands.

But if there would exist lighter punishment than death, people can inprison griefers (with handcuffs) and wait for leader to exile them and give them death sentence.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-06-25 00:11:15)

#19 2020-06-24 20:28:27

Arcurus

Gogo wrote:

But if there would exist lighter punishment than death, people can inprison griefers (with handcuffs) and wait for leader to exile them and give them death sentence.

isnt imprisonment worse then death? I mean, you cant then even re-spawn until you died of old age in prison...

#20 2020-06-25 00:11:56

Gogo
Banned

But death takes away your gene score.

#21 2020-06-25 00:58:19

Catfive

merryllamax wrote:

I'd also welcome a way to give up leadership so that it goes automatically goes to the next best qualified person. I just really don't enjoy being a leader - my gene score recently tanked so I thought it would not longer be a problem, but my last game the leader followed me before dying just after a brief interaction and I got stuck with leadership again.

/abdicate?

/abdicate makes sense

i've had lives where i've inherited but just wanted to go do my own thing or travel to other towns and being lead you should be at home really to stop the emo crowd causing internal strife as well as keep an eye on fuel supplies or see that trade between tribes is sorted.

we have reelect now via unfollow and follow but i'd have no objections to that either.

#22 2020-06-25 15:20:56

Zerghaikn

Catfive wrote:

we have reelect now via unfollow and follow but i'd have no objections to that either.

The difference between /reelect and /follow /unfollow is that /follow /unfollow has the player choose their leader, which has been proven dangerous and a tool for greifers.

#23 2020-06-25 16:39:55

Arcurus

Zerghaikn wrote:
Catfive wrote:

The difference between /reelect and /follow /unfollow is that /follow /unfollow has the player choose their leader, which has been proven dangerous and a tool for greifers.

the thing is, actually using follow is not so dangerous as long as you are round to see what the person is doing.

It becomes dangerous if you are not around anymore.

So if one simply asked you to follow him without any reason, then i would be skeptical. But if there is a valid reason and if you around to look whats going on, then not much bad can happen.

#24 2020-06-25 18:04:45

merryllamax

Arcurus wrote:
Zerghaikn wrote:
Catfive wrote:

the thing is, actually using follow is not so dangerous as long as you are round to see what the person is doing.

It becomes dangerous if you are not around anymore.

So if one simply asked you to follow him without any reason, then i would be skeptical. But if there is a valid reason and if you around to look whats going on, then not much bad can happen.

This problem from the other side: I have found that my followers REALLY disliked when I tried to transfer leadership to someone else, even when I watched them closely and chatted with them and was reasonably sure they are not a griefer and competent. The rule "never follow anyone" is just really ingrained in people at this point. People trust the system, not the people.

#25 2020-06-25 18:28:19

Arcurus

merryllamax wrote:

This problem from the other side: I have found that my followers REALLY disliked when I tried to transfer leadership to someone else, even when I watched them closely and chatted with them and was reasonably sure they are not a griefer and competent. The rule "never follow anyone" is just really ingrained in people at this point. People trust the system, not the people.

lol with age this goes away, then you trust people not the system smile

But yea a blessing system, which marks just some people that you blessed would be great, no need to mention their name...

Board footer