One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-20 23:57:05

Guy

Food Discussion

The purpose of this thread is food, As I type them I am getting hungrier with each word.

In all seriousness, This update got me thinking recently  about the relevance of certain foods. Pickles seem like  a lot of work for something relativity mundane. Admittedly I've only glanced at onetech so please tell me if they are actually god tier or not.

Any food is justified for increasing your yum. But are a couple extra points worth the increased workload that comes with certain foods.

Though if we had food spoilage, Pickling could be worth the effort. Since quite a few content updates revolve around, Chef Jason could consider that an option.

Last edited by Guy (2020-06-20 23:57:57)

#2 2020-06-21 01:41:40

DestinyCall

Re: Food Discussion

Long ago, I ran the numbers and considered all the variables to come up with a list of good high efficiency food items.   Sadly, that list is very out-dated now and the "new math" is just too complex for me to tackle.

Does anyone have an updated list of food values?  I don't understand how the generation-based food devaluing works.   

Unbreakable yum is great, but different foods still require vastly different amounts of effort and resources.   I am kind unclear on the best approach for maximizing yum potential in the average village.

#3 2020-06-21 02:15:54

Grim_Arbiter

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9722

That might be the most recent yum table-ish thing.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2020-06-21 03:25:03

DestinyCall

This was part of the Food Fixes news post:

jasonrohrer wrote:

Thanks to input from forum members Twisted, Miskas, and Fug, all food values have been re-examined and rebalanced based on how hard they are to make and what input resources are required.  We might see a perfectly balanced food system as being flat and boring, because all foods would be equal in terms of efficiency, so this update does not aim for that kind perfect balance.

The YUM system is meant to make the less-efficient foods still worth eating from time to time, and YUM has been changed so that your chain never breaks.

AND

jasonrohrer wrote:

This week, a new gradual scaling system is in place:  as the generations wear on for a given family, a growing value is subtracted from all food values.  This value reaches a maximum of 5 after about 30 generations, and if subtracting the value would make a food 0 or negative, the food is pegged at 1.  So a berry would eventually be worth 1, while a feast plate would eventually be worth 35.  A cooked rabbit would drop from 10 down to 5.  You can see how this kind of adjustment affects low-value foods much more than high-value foods, in relative terms.  It is a bit like the opposite of the eating bonus, which buffs low-value foods much more than high-value foods, relatively speaking.

Does anyone have an updated list of base food values?  It looks like the wiki is very out of date and checking food values in-game is kind of hard unless you know your exact generation.

Also does anyone know if the degradation value is still set to 5?  It sounds like this was a value that could be changed as needed.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-06-21 03:26:07)

#5 2020-06-21 05:06:47

DestinyCall

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9722

That might be the most recent yum table-ish thing.

Ah!   Very helpful.   This is what I needed.     

So ... short answer is that three sister stew, bean burrito, and mutton pie are good staple foods for all families.    Feast plate is hard to make but worth the effort.   

For Jungle folks, french fries with ketchup, tortilla chips with salsa, and pumpkin pie should be standard foods and mangoes should be cultivated for additional yum.   If you are not jungle people, try to get some seeds so you can make ketchup and salsa, as well as getting sugar cane for making sugar and extra palm kernels for cooking with oil (french fries, tortilla chips).  You can't plant mango trees outside of jungle, unfortunately.

Now let's talk about the math.   With the current yum bonus and degrading food values MOST foods are very low value if you try to eat them directly.     I got these numbers from Miskas' table. Hopefully I am reading it correctly.  (I think these are base values, but they might be the final value after food degeneration? My apologies if I'm butchering it.)

Foods worth 1 pip:
Berry
Carrot
Tomato
Cucumber
Onion
Green Beans
Pepper
Grapes
Popcorn
Milk
Skim Milk
French Fry
Tortilla Chip
Wine

Notice that almost all raw fruits/veggies are worth just one pip base value.    In an Eve camp, I think you get some kind of bonus to make it better, maybe?  I don't really understand how this works entirely.    Later generations lose that bonus, but the value can't drop below one pip for any food.   

The following foods are worth 2- 6 pips base value:

2 pips - Sauerkraut, Bread, Raw corn

3 pips - Carrot Pie, Mango

4 pips - Berry Pie, Roasted Mutton, Ice cream

5 pips - Rabbit Pie, Pumpkin Pie, Tortilla Chip with Salsa, Cooked Shrimp

6 pips - Berry/Carrot Pie, Mutton Pie, Roasted Rabbit, Carnitas, Turkey Broth, French Fry with Ketchup

Low value foods become very weak over time due to food degradation.   Good for yum.  Not good for much else.   Try not to binge eat any of these low value foods in later generations.   It is better to process foods further to make higher value foods using the raw ingredients.  High value processed foods will retain more pips and fill you up better.   But keep in mind, that a wide range of low value foods can be used to increase your yum bonus instead.   In the current meta, producing a wide variety of unique foods is better than just mass producing high value foods.   The goal should be to encourage as many people as possible to yum-chain so the food supply is preserved.

The following foods are "high value" with pip values between 8 to 16 pips:

8 pips - Three Sister Stew, Baked Potato, Bean Taco, Omelette, Cooked Beans, Buttered Bread

10 pips - Rabbit/Carrot Pie

11 pips - Bean Burrito, Cooked Goose

12 pips - Rabbit/Berry Pie

14 pips - Cooked Fish

16 pips - Rabbit/Berry/Carrot Pie, Pork Taco

Lastly, the feast plate is in a category all its own with an enormous 56 pip value.

OK ... now let's break this down into actual game-play guidelines.

Ideally, you want your village to have a wide range of raw ingredients for food and compost production.   These raw foods should only be eaten ONCE each life for yum.   If your village is missing a standard crop, make sure to gather seeds and start growing it.   Corn is one of the most valuable crops, since dry corn can be used to make so many other foods.  Pumpkin is only useful if you also have access to sugar. (jungle).  Cabbage is only useful if you also have access to salt (tundra).    Potatoes are the most commonly over-looked food crop.  It is easy to farm and easy to make into a renewable single-step yum food.  Another crop that is easy to miss is onions.   You can't do that much with raw onions, unless you are born into a jungle tribe, but they do provide an extra point of yum by themselves.   Farming onions and potatoes is an easy way to generate additional yum for your village.   Just don't eat more than one.   Like other low value food items, they are "one and done" foods.

Next you want to make low process level, fast foods, like popcorn, baked potato, omelettes, baked beans, and cooked meats.   These simple operations turn a raw food or inedible ingredient into a cooked food in one or two easy steps.   

After that, you should focus on producing variety pies - carrot, berry, rabbit, and as many combo pies as you can manage (berry/carrot, rabbit/carrot, rabbit/berry, and rabbit/berry/carrot).    Pies are an important food in every village because they are very portable and most of them are pretty filling.  Ideal for taking on a trip out of town or while doing hungry work, like mining and chopping trees.  Pies are no longer that best food, because yum is more important than mass-production, but I think every town needs a decent stockpile of pies available at all times to help workers keep working and feed the non-yumming masses.  Mutton pie is the most efficient choice for large-scale production, because sheep are vital to the compost cycle and wheat is also used in composting, so you should have a decent supply of wheat and raw mutton available in most towns.    However, I prefer to use rabbit/berry/carrot pies when I'm doing hungry work since it is the most filling pie type.    All the other pie varieties are primarily good for yum-only and should be limited to a single bite, if you can, to avoid wasting the yum potential.    Each pie variety gives another yum bonus, so making a bunch of different types of pies is a great way to use rabbit meat.  If you don't have any rabbit meat, you can still make carrot pie, berry pie, and carrot/berry pie.    Remember - pies look alike.  Check for variety pies carefully.  They can hide in plain sight.

Hunt wild turkey for cooked turkey and broth.   Turkey is COMPLETELY FREE FOOD.  No water cost.  No soil cost.  No iron cost.  All it takes is access to a few basic tools.  Gather only as much as you need - one cart full is usually more than enough for everyone in your village to gain the yum bonus from broth and cooked turkey.  Avoid over-hunting so future generations will be able to find turkey within range of town.    Also, producing a single food item in excess tends to lead to more binge eating and wasted food, as people will eat the same food multiple times instead of yumming new foods, so don't go overboard on the turkey broth.

Make a LOT of three sisters stew.    This is one of the best staple foods for any non-yumming villagers and new players.   It gives a nice hearty bite of food that fills you up quickly AND it is relatively easy to mass produce in large quantities without draining valuable resources.   All villages should have food stations with multiple stew crocks.   It is okay to mass-produce stew and mutton pies.  They are good strong foods that will benefit the village.   Try to save some rabbit meat to produce variety pies for yumming.   Don't mass produce variety pies, since all pies look alike and the special ones will be eaten by mistake.  When eating pie, try to find one that is new to you.   When baking, remember to make a variety and point people to the special yum-only pies.  Notice that carrot pie, berry pie, and rabbit pie are fairly low value food items.  They will not fill you up.   Rabbit/carrot, mutton, rabbit, and pumpkin are a little better.   Rabbit/berry and rabbit/berry carrot are pretty high value, but they are also costly to produce in large quantities.   In terms of raw pips, the rabbit/berry/carrot is your best choice, but from a water cost perspective, the mutton pie is the better pie.   So if you want the most filling pie, get the triple threat.  But if you want to fill up your pie box, slaughter sheep.   Remember to bake off some mutton at the same time as you make the pies.   And if you are low on fillings, make some bread.

Produce any biome-locked foods that you can.   The jungle people have a huge advantage here.  Make sure that you are utilizing this advantage by planting mango trees, growing tomatoes, peppers and sugar cane, and producing processed foods like ketchup and salsa.   They can also gather wild bananas.  The tundra people have access to salt, so they can make sauerkraut.  They also have access to ice holes, so be sure to fish for shrimp and arctic char.   Cooked shrimp is a surprisingly decent food.  Sauerkraut is has been nerfed rather badly.  It is only good for yum.  Arctic char is too hard to fish, so even though cooked fish is very high value, it is basically a "yum-only" food.  Too hard to mass-produce in any reasonable quantity and not enough unique bites.    Working together with jungle people (for sugar), tundra people can also make ice cream.   Desert people don't get any special foods, except for wild cactus fruit and fruit boots.  However, they do have access to glass-blowing which allows the production of bottles.  Bottles can be used for wine and milk.

Make whole milk, skim milk, and butter.  Bake bread and use your butter to enhance it.   Use a rabbit skin pouch on a bowl of milk to make a pouch of milk.  Use a bowl or pouch of milk on a bottle to make a bottle of milk.    Drink from any of these vessels to gain some extra yum bonuses from your tasty milk - bowl, pouch and bottle are easy a unique yum point (until it gets nerfed).

Make bean burritos, bean tacos, or pork tacos.    At the same time, you can produce cooked beans, carnitas, and tortilla chips.    Hunt wild boars or kill domesticated pigs for meat.

Gather eggs from wild geese, then hunt the wild geese for meat.   Hatch some goose eggs in sheep dung to produce domesticated geese.  Feed the domestic geese to produce more eggs.   

Grow grapes using a trellis (requires copper wire) and make wine (requires glass bottle).   

Lastly, feast tables are a pretty impressive source of raw pips.   Unfortunately,  biome-locked ingredients are required to complete the table.   To make a complete feast table you need the following foods:  Sliced Pumpkin Pie, Bowl of Whipped Cream, Sliced Bread, Bowl of Butter, and Carved Turkey on Plate.    The pumpkin pie requires access to sugar, which biome-locks the entire table.   The other requirements are access to wild turkey and a domesticated cow for milk/cream and wheat to make the bread.   Most towns will be able to provide all of these ingredients EXCEPT the sugar for the pumpkin pie.  Making pumpkin pie is easy for jungle people, so make sure that you are also taking the time to produce feast tables if you live in a jungle town.   Again, don't overproduce the feast tables ... one at a time is best.   And if you are born in a different tribe, remember to "trade" for raw sugar or sugar canes to make sugar for pumpkin pie, ice cream, ketchup, and black dye, in addition to picking up some pepper and tomato seeds, wild bananas, and palm kernels.   Jungle tribes have all the fun stuff.

To answer your original question, making pickles requires access to peppercorns (jungle) and salt (tundra), in addition to a bunch of other non-biome locked stuff.   It is fairly labor-intensive and requires sourcing biome-locked ingredients.   So it is about as difficult to make as ice cream or wine.     When was the last time you saw someone make ice cream or wine?

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-06-21 06:51:12)

#6 2020-06-21 06:16:50

Zerghaikn

DestinyCall wrote:

To answer your original question, making pickles requires access to peppercorns (jungle) and salt (tundra), in addition to a bunch of other non-biome locked stuff.   It is fairly labor-intensive and requires sourcing biome-locked ingredients.   So it is about as difficult to make as ice cream or wine.     When was the last time you saw someone make ice cream or wine?

I made some ice cream the other day, but I see it very infrequently. I don't think many people even know it's in the game.

#7 2020-06-21 08:36:45

Guy

Zerghaikn wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

I made some ice cream the other day, but I see it very infrequently. I don't think many people even know it's in the game.

This was kind of my point, I don't like to see items being unused. Anything that requires that much work should be worth making. I think Jason was trying to push cooperation and trade with other families with this kind of update.

It worked that way in the real word, Exotic spices where valuable. Not so much here where everything is calculated by efficiency. We should have more reasons to seek out luxuries, The borg collective are no fun.

Maybe the inter generational pip drain mentioned could be adjusted slightly. The higher generation you are, The more complex foods you need to keep you fed.

Last edited by Guy (2020-06-21 08:46:09)

#8 2020-06-21 09:17:19

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Kind of off topic but I literally hate how bad food becomes for old families. It's so difficult to just survive. Then because food is so bad everyone eats a TON of it so it's always low, and as soon as you make anything it will be gone in seconds. The numbers are way too harsh.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#9 2020-06-21 09:27:41

jinbaili83

DestinyCall wrote:

Make whole milk, skim milk, and butter.  Bake bread and use your butter to enhance it.   Use a rabbit skin pouch on a bowl of milk to make a pouch of milk.  Use a bowl or pouch of milk on a bottle to make a bottle of milk.    Drink from any of these vessels to gain some extra yum bonuses from your tasty milk - bowl, pouch and bottle are easy a unique yum point (until it gets nerfed).

Milk and broth bottles and pouches no longer count as unique YUM items (count same as their corresponding bowls).
June 19, 2020

#10 2020-06-21 09:48:50

Guy

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

Kind of off topic but I literally hate how bad food becomes for old families. It's so difficult to just survive. Then because food is so bad everyone eats a TON of it so it's always low, and as soon as you make anything it will be gone in seconds. The numbers are way too harsh.

This is about food, Therefore on topic my friend. Is the purpose of that to kill off the big cities?

Last edited by Guy (2020-06-21 09:49:29)

#11 2020-06-21 10:23:01

Arcurus

jinbaili83 wrote:

Milk and broth bottles and pouches no longer count as unique YUM items (count same as their corresponding bowls).
June 19, 2020

you found the hidden tricky update and won 100 bottles of milk resolvable at mars

Guy wrote:

This was kind of my point, I don't like to see items being unused. Anything that requires that much work should be worth making. I think Jason was trying to push cooperation and trade with other families with this kind of update.

It worked that way in the real word, Exotic spices where valuable. Not so much here where everything is calculated by efficiency. We should have more reasons to seek out luxuries, The borg collective are no fun.

Maybe the inter generational pip drain mentioned could be adjusted slightly. The higher generation you are, The more complex foods you need to keep you fed.

sounds great, i was thinking about something like trendy food... but this would be against the 10 commandments of efficiency and pein would be a pain in your ...

Rule number one: be efficient...

Rule number two: be efficient...

Rule number three: i guess you got it....

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-06-21 10:27:44)

#12 2020-06-21 11:11:54

Guy

Arcurus wrote:
jinbaili83 wrote:

June 19, 2020

you found the hidden tricky update and won 100 bottles of milk resolvable at mars

Guy wrote:

sounds great, i was thinking about something like trendy food... but this would be against the 10 commandments of efficiency and pein would be a pain in your ...

Rule number one: be efficient...

Rule number two: be efficient...

Rule number three: i guess you got it....

Well I can counter by being a pain in his forehead butts.

It's not good for anyone when you realize Jason adds alot of food items to the game. Content unused by the player isn't very efficient.

Last edited by Guy (2020-06-21 11:13:50)

#13 2020-06-21 12:21:39

Coconut Fruit

Greathouse family, which was the longest fam lately, had very big field of stew/turkey broth. They had big separate farm for stew stuff, so it was easy and fast to make it in big quantities.
I think they could have survived much longer if Bobo didn't kill them. I think it's a good idea to have big stew areas, since it's a great food for beginners, I mean for those who don't yum. And it's fairly cheap.
That's how it looked: https://onemap.wondible.com/#x=-311129& … 1592342125

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#14 2020-06-21 13:07:26

Arcurus

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Greathouse family, which was the longest fam lately, had very big field of stew/turkey broth. They had big separate farm for stew stuff, so it was easy and fast to make it in big quantities.
I think they could have survived much longer if Bobo didn't kill them. I think it's a good idea to have big stew areas, since it's a great food for beginners, I mean for those who don't yum. And it's fairly cheap.
That's how it looked: https://onemap.wondible.com/#x=-311129& … 1592342125

lol thats a lot of stew with a big Jason temple (The stone stuff in the west). By the way, why no one revived this town? i mean after a hour any fertile woman could go there and make a homeland? Of course now its most-likely too far away, but why no one revived it back then?

#15 2020-06-21 13:32:04

Coconut Fruit

Arcurus wrote:

By the way, why no one revived this town? i mean after a hour any fertile woman could go there and make a homeland? Of course now its most-likely too far away, but why no one revived it back then?

They were super far from new Eves. Donkeys were moving Eve spawn 20k tiles at once. It's fixed now, they can't do it anymore.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#16 2020-06-21 15:08:29

DestinyCall

Guy wrote:

Production and consumption of more complicated foods in late-game towns was the whole point of the Food Fixes update.   Food values were changed so that harder to make foods more rewarding and easier foods less filling.   Yum chain was made unbreakable to reward culinary diversity and encourage more complex cooking.   Unbreakable yum makes yumming much more mainstream by allowing players to accumulate a passive bonus without worry of eating the "wrong" thing.   The old system punished you quite harshly for deviating from a yum-themed diet which was very hard for many players, both new and old.    Also, prior to the rebalance, many food values were completely out of whack.   Like berry pies that cost more to make than they were worth, because the ingredients were more valuable than the finish product.

Unfortunately, I don't think Jason went far enough.   Some complex foods are still not worth the effort and should probably provide more unique bites.   And I think he greatly underestimates the barrier of double biome-locked foods.   If you are white or black, you must negotiate with two different tribes to make a barrel of pickles.   That is absurd.   It puts making ice cream at the same difficulty level as producing rubber or oil ... and making ice cream should NOT be that hard.   

Also, the best foods are ones that are interconnected with other activities in a positive way.   Mutton pie and composting is the prime example of this synergy.   In contrast, fishing is an example of a really bad food.   It is really complicated, RNG-based, doesn't synergize with any other activity, AND it is biome-locked.   Many of the complex foods that were added later suffer from this problem.    If you want to make these foods, you will need to start from scratch every single time, because you will not find any of the intermediate ingredients already produced by someone else. 

This brings up another point - useful by-products are VERY important and should be featured more prominently in the late-game tech tree.  For example, look at sheep.   When you make a new sheep, you get mutton AND fleece AND dung.   These products are useful for making FOOD and CLOTHING and COMPOST.  Three different branches of useful tech from a single source.   We should see more of this kind of thing - Pigs could provide meat and lard when slaughtered with the lard serving a purpose for either cooking or new content, like soap-making.  Lard could provide an alternative source of oil for tribes that do not have access to palm kernels.   Cows could be slaughtered for meat and leather or kept alive for milk.    Leather could be used for clothing and new backpacks.   The cool thing about these animal products is that someone who is interested in the non-culinary applications will be producing plenty of meat that can be used for making new foods.   And someone who is making food will also be producing lots of by-products that can be used in other ways later on.    It is a win-win situation.   

Pickles are unfortunately a pretty "bad food" right now.   Making pickles takes too many steps and almost all of those steps are ONLY used for making more pickles.   Currently, there is no other use for dill or bay leaf.   Bay leaf is harvested in the wild and has infinite supply, but dill requires cultivation, so you must grow a row of cucumbers and a row of dill to make a crock of pickles.  Even worse, you also need peppercorns.   Peppercorns are biome-locked and, if I'm understanding it correctly, they can be wild-harvested or cultivated.   Being biome-locked to jungle means that most tribes will have no access and wild peppercorn will be very rare.   Cultivating peppercorn adds even more cost to producing pickles as well as even more steps to make one crock of pickles.   The addition of salt means you also have to contact the tundra tribe for a bucket of saltwater.   On the plus side, saltwater does have other uses, so that's not all bad.   But two biome-locks make pickle-making into a multi-generational undertaking, like rubber-making or wine-making.   Even if you increased the food value for pickles, it is still going to be the new ice cream.    One thing that can be done is allow consumption of raw cucumbers for yum AND we should get a chef's salad and/or vegetable soup added to the game to encourage vegetable gardening and give more culinary uses for cucumbers in towns that lack the necessary biome access for pickles.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-06-21 16:13:31)

#17 2020-06-21 15:43:38

DestinyCall

jinbaili83 wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

June 19, 2020

Ah, yeah.  I expected that would happen after Jason removed yum from berry bowl and potato.  I was just too lazy to search through all the update notes to determine if it already happened.   Those kinds of nerfs tend to happen quietly and without much attention since they are technically "bug fixes". 

Thanks!

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-06-21 15:45:58)

#18 2020-06-21 16:30:38

Arcurus

Guy wrote:

It's not good for anyone when you realize Jason adds alot of food items to the game. Content unused by the player isn't very efficient.

Do you have a suggestion how you would change the mechanics that exotic food becomes reasonable to make from time to time?

#19 2020-06-21 16:53:08

DestinyCall

Arcurus wrote:
Guy wrote:

Do you have a suggestion how you would change the mechanics that exotic food becomes reasonable to make from time to time?

List the foods you would consider exotic and I can provide a whole list of ideas for making them better and more practical.

This isn't just a problem of the high-efficiency players avoiding complex foods.   Nobody makes these things.  Nobody knows HOW to make these things.  Many people don't even know that ice cream exist in the game.  And pickles will suffer the same fate in a few months, once the novelty wears off.   

I love Jason's attention to detail when adding new foods so they feel "real", but he doesn't balance the recipes so the effort required to make the food matches the final outcome.

#20 2020-06-21 20:32:09

miskas

I am happy people find my table useful, I will add Pickles as well, cucumbers are already there.

Destiny look at the Food worksheet tab at cell C1 (Bonus). in that cell, I input the generation degradation. I have set it to -4 cause I was thinking that it's is the max. Seeing Jason's quote state that the max is -5 caught me by surprise. I actually also look at the discord updates but I only found this reference. https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/ … 1f5d838e9b

I will make a duplicate file here for you to edit the bonus cell and the yum diet at your will.

Last edited by miskas (2020-06-21 20:33:06)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#21 2020-06-21 21:58:44

Guy

Arcurus wrote:
Guy wrote:

Well like I said, More incentive to do it. Generally speaking people find exotic foods and spices more exiting, Maybe bonus yum/pip retention for foods from different biomes.

The complex foods serve to better satisfy later generations. Complex items could also mean more organic specialization. One town could be successful focusing on making pickles and shipping them off to nearby cities.

#22 2020-06-21 23:35:00

Grim_Arbiter

Guy wrote:

Well like I said, More incentive to do it. Generally speaking people find exotic foods and spices more exiting, Maybe bonus yum/pip retention for foods from different biomes.

The complex foods serve to better satisfy later generations. Complex items could also mean more organic specialization. One town could be successful focusing on making pickles and shipping them off to nearby cities.

Agreed here.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#23 2020-06-22 11:35:41

JonySky
Website

question...
Why has this game become a simulator of creating food?
This is not what is shown in the trailer !!!
I don't want to create more different types of food !!!
everything revolves around food !! it's stupid!
Are not going to generate more challenges ???
Does anyone else care about being forced to create different kinds of food for 60 minutes? Am I the only one who thinks this is boring?

#24 2020-06-22 13:56:21

DestinyCall

I am the wrong person to ask, because I rather enjoy cooking and farming.  I don't really mind having a reason to make yum stations, since I enjoyed learning how to make every type of food before it was cool.

That being said, I miss the days when we could actually keep a town alive for several days and had roads connecting them together.   I liked the sense of adventure when you set off to find a new source of iron for your town.   I liked the challenge of constructing a town that would hopefully be good enough to become a multi-family bell town.   I miss being able to walk into a jungle to eat a banana regardless of my skin color.

I feel like the game has become more and more constrained in the last year.   It saddens me.

#25 2020-06-22 22:49:35

Guy

JonySky wrote:

question...
Why has this game become a simulator of creating food?
This is not what is shown in the trailer !!!
I don't want to create more different types of food !!!
everything revolves around food !! it's stupid!
Are not going to generate more challenges ???
Does anyone else care about being forced to create different kinds of food for 60 minutes? Am I the only one who thinks this is boring?

My guess is because Jason has the most knowledge about food. As opposed to tech where he'd need to do a lot more research.

Board footer