One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-14 15:06:45

MistressZues

Where is the love? Can we end the segregation!? Please?!

I know we are not all American but I saw that other country's are protesting with the Black Lives Matter movement and I just was thinking how nice it would be to see some unity on this game.
Can we, ... even if its just for the rest of this month just get rid of the "family claimed well" system??
       I miss so much being able to live together with other families! Lets just for this month get rid of the family well breeding spot! Allow us to choose to live together. Its kinda saddening that this game forces us to separate by race...... its kinda racist it is after all separation at its true form.

Even just for this month could you imagine the amazing Mega city we could build as an online community! Having all four races raising kids together! We would actually be able to see each other learning the languages again. When was the last time you were able to understand another family other then a white person? I can see a Beautiful Castle like Mega City with good walls to keep bears out. I giant courtyard garden with every crop from every bio-me. A city where we want for nothing so can make cars an planes for fun! try out making all the different paints, all the different clothes color. A mega city with all different skin colors!

Jason I'm not trying to call you out man, but, I was just thinking about it all and its just a funny coincidence.. It seems like your trying to make us hate each other. implementing the language barrier, then adding the war sword, then only allowing certain races into specific places, and now we can't even live together.... As a multiracial person married to person who doesn't share any of my race its kinda disappointing. Also side note: you still haven't added the Asians you promised us before bio-me restrictions.

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#2 2020-06-14 15:12:08

DestinyCall

Re: Where is the love? Can we end the segregation!? Please?!

End the racict specializations while you are at it. 

That shit is seriously messed up and has been from the start.   Games should not promote prejudice based on skin tones.

Vanilla lives matter.

#3 2020-06-14 15:29:24

MistressZues

DestinyCall wrote:

End the racict specializations while you are at it. 

That shit is seriously messed up and has been from the start.   Games should not promote prejudice based on skin tones.

Vanilla lives matter.

That's actually true, I hated it from the start I was away for awhile and when I came back it was the dumbest shit to drop my items an not understand why I was acting weird and couldn't pick things up in certain bio-mes! Also on the vanilla lives matter thing lol I really do feel like the whites got the short end of the stick for many reasons.

1. they don't have a special bio-me so other families don't need them.

2. the fact that other families don't need them makes it hard to strike a fair trade. The white family will usually die out due to lack of specialized resources needed to progress an upgrade.

3. even if someone wanted to be nice an deliver goods specific to their race to other families to help them survive they would have no way of finding the white family home town. they have no map markers for white experts. At the very least Jason could add a green or savanna bio-me marker to locate "language experts home well" lol poor Vanilla lives

Last edited by MistressZues (2020-06-14 16:02:51)

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#4 2020-06-14 17:00:12

Coconut Fruit

I like that every family has it's own home. I didn't like living together with other families... Unless it was very, very rare.

Race specializations aren't that bad either. It makes this game more strategic, which is fun. Except for blonds, they are pretty much useless and therefore I hate playing them.

I mean, race specializations could be implemented a little bit more user friendly - we could enter any biome without droping items, we could pick any common items from any biomes, we just couldn't use specialty items on these biomes. That would be a little bit weird tho, but it would remove the annoyance.

I mean, race specializations are fun, but people aren't skilled enough to have fun with it. And probably never will be :c

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#5 2020-06-14 17:02:55

Dodge

Jason isn't going to remove an update he spent time working on just to be politically correct or because of real life events, if you want him to change the update you have to suggest something better that has the same effect.

His goal with the family well is to avoid multiracial villages because then it becomes pointless to travel or "trade" since you can just have every race in a village and get everything you need (sulfur,rubber etc) from the different biomes a few tiles away.

My personnal favorite solution would be to have a realistic map so not infinite and with some biomes separated by oceans, this would solve the issue of travel, multiracial village etc.

Since the biomes would be way far appart even separated by natural barriers like oceans having multi racial villages would not be an issue, you would have to travel and even make outpost and distant cities either way.

So you would trade with other cities depending on their surrounding biomes and not necessarly trade with other races.

This would also solve the issue with iron since it would be naturally limited by the map not being infinite so the weird current iron system could be removed aswell.

#6 2020-06-14 17:05:52

DestinyCall

Different tribes having unique strengths and weaknesses related to their environment could be really fun.   But the way racial specialization was implemented in this game is not right.

It should not be about the color of your skin.   It should be about the culture and environment in which your tribe developed.     That is a really big difference.

#7 2020-06-14 17:18:22

Coconut Fruit

DestinyCall wrote:

It should not be about the color of your skin.   It should be about the culture and environment in which your tribe developed.     That is a really big difference.

Color of your skin tells a lot about your culture and environment in which you live... At least it did thousands years ago, and in the game we live in an old age.

I see nothing wrong in connecting biome specializations to color of your skin. Why everyone sees racism everywhere? Just stop.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#8 2020-06-14 17:21:21

Coconut Fruit

MistressZues wrote:

Its kinda saddening that this game forces us to separate by race...... its kinda racist it is after all separation at its true form.

We are not separated by race, but by family name. Two brown families can't live together either. This game is not racist at all.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#9 2020-06-14 17:30:24

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Fuck the home update and fuck race restrictions.

We have to work together but we can't live with each other and we can't talk to each other. What an amazing idea.

If it wasn't for vets using Hetuw things would be way way WAY worse. Bless it.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#10 2020-06-14 17:40:40

Coconut Fruit

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

We have to work together but we can't live with each other and we can't talk to each other. What an amazing idea.

Kinda agree. I would hate it without Hetuw... I feel sorry for vanilla users. Tho, Twisted is doing pretty good without mods. Not super efficient but still good.

As for talking, we don't really need to talk with other races. Just help them. Last life when I played as a black, I made many bowls and filled them with sulfur. There is about 30 bowls of sulfur in the black's town, any fam can feel free to take as much as they need, blacks can always get more and just share.
Browns can help the same way. Gingers too, tho they need more help from other families and more skilled players. Blonds are pretty much useless.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#11 2020-06-14 18:00:27

fug

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Kinda agree. I would hate it without Hetuw... I feel sorry for vanilla users. Tho, Twisted is doing pretty good without mods. Not super efficient but still good.

As for talking, we don't really need to talk with other races. Just help them. Last life when I played as a black, I made many bowls and filled them with sulfur. There is about 30 bowls of sulfur in the black's town, any fam can feel free to take as much as they need, blacks can always get more and just share.
Browns can help the same way. Gingers too, tho they need more help from other families and more skilled players. Blonds are pretty much useless.

I mean I think it's sort of dumb how we took a complete step back in the language department. I didn't like languages when they first came out because it leads to a bunch of gibberish but when Jason added language learning it became a bit more endearing and cute to watch families slowly start closing the gap.

Now we're back to gibberish speak because the language update was created with the idea that lineages actually live together/interact frequently enough to bridge it. Instead, we're stuck constantly losing progress or not gaining any because you essentially need other colored males coming to your town to talk to babies since you can't bring or have babies near other lineage towns.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#12 2020-06-14 18:10:35

DestinyCall

Coconut Fruit wrote:
MistressZues wrote:

Its kinda saddening that this game forces us to separate by race...... its kinda racist it is after all separation at its true form.

We are not separated by race, but by family name. Two brown families can't live together either. This game is not racist at all.

It is systemically racist and encourages racist behavior.    I'm sad that you can't see it, but that doesn't make the problem not exist.

#13 2020-06-14 20:26:41

QuirkySmirkyIan

Coconut Fruit wrote:

I like that every family has it's own home. I didn't like living together with other families... Unless it was very, very rare.

Race specializations aren't that bad either. It makes this game more strategic, which is fun. Except for blonds, they are pretty much useless and therefore I hate playing them.

I mean, race specializations could be implemented a little bit more user friendly - we could enter any biome without droping items, we could pick any common items from any biomes, we just couldn't use specialty items on these biomes. That would be a little bit weird tho, but it would remove the annoyance.

I mean, race specializations are fun, but people aren't skilled enough to have fun with it. And probably never will be :c

I bet you're that sid baby that I always get when I play white.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#14 2020-06-14 20:31:28

QuirkySmirkyIan

Coconut Fruit wrote:
DiscardedSlinky wrote:

I try to stay away from playing with mods now. It makes the game too easy and is kinda unfair in my opinion. I have been playing for 1.5 Years IRL and I personally don't take the game too seriously, heck I'm not efficient at all I ate 18 berry bushes on my solo world a few months ago. But if you really care about efficiency more than having fun in a video game then I would advise reconsidering your decisions in life. Look at WBSteve he loves playing OHOL yet he has done barely nothing productive. Video games are mean't for relaxing even this one.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#15 2020-06-15 02:10:43

Caiaphus Tarwater

The idea that human abilities are limited or parsed by race is the essence of racism.  That's exactly the foundational idea of racism, which itself depends on the fiction that we can even draw clear lines between people and thereby objectively define a "race" in some kind of meaningful way.

It's nothing but a damn shame and a bad example that the historic trope of race restrictions is repeated in this game.   

It's also a failure of imagination.  As many, some in this thread, have shown, there are other ways to force trade and interaction.

#16 2020-06-15 10:39:19

JonySky
Website

Of course OHOL promotes racist values!

We are in the 21st century ..., and creating a game based on the limitations of the races is sad and shows that the developer did not have much imagination

Can you imagine a game based on the limitations of the blind, paralytics or people with Down's Syndrome? possibly withdrawn from the market

Complaining about a game because it is clearly racist, but continuing to play it is only HYPOCRESIA, if you really dislike OHOL racism, do not play it (for example two hours one life does not have those racist limitations)

You are fighting stupid and the griefers because their behavior is inappropriate and unfair but instead you are playing a racist game, I am happy that I got off this train a long time ago!

Last edited by JonySky (2020-06-15 10:42:06)

#17 2020-06-15 10:55:53

Coconut Fruit

I feel sorry for people who see racism everywhere.
Omg, a ginger can't get a banana from jungle, reee racism.
Get a doctor guys, there is something wrong with you.

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2020-06-15 11:25:05)

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#18 2020-06-15 11:41:56

JonySky
Website

Coconut Fruit wrote:

I feel sorry for people who see racism everywhere.
Omg, a ginger can't get a banana from jungle, reee racism.
Get a doctor guys, there is something wrong with you.

Creating "artificial" limitations in a race is racist

The color of their skin does not indicate their culture, nor their preferences, nor their habilities, nor their quality of life ... (in the real world)
The color of her skin is just that, the color of her skin ...

Nor does the environment where we were born or where we grew up mean anything, human beings adapt and change over time

I was raised in the mountains, but I'm always cold

When people begin to understand that being black, or being from a specific place does not mean anything and we start to remove labels from people, at that moment the world will begin to improve with these issues.

his comments only defend racist ideas

Can you imagine a game based on the limitations of the blind, paralytics or people with Down's Syndrome?
you can have the same result in the game without having to limit a skin color

Last edited by JonySky (2020-06-15 15:09:12)

#19 2020-06-15 13:23:13

Coconut Fruit

Yeah, maybe you are right. But it still kinda sucks that people see a problem if something is connected to the skin color in a video game. All races are equally important in OHOL (well, except blondes. Blond racism, reee).

I wonder what Jason thinks about all these racism accusations.

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2020-06-15 13:28:06)

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#20 2020-06-15 13:24:56

Coconut Fruit

I would even say this game is anti-racist. It encourages multiracial interactions, help and love tongue

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#21 2020-06-15 14:13:49

olooopo

@JonySky
I loved the game when families were not separated by skin color and a white woman could have brown children. I honestly haven't played the game much since the introduction of war swords and family separation. Maybe one life every month, but probably less. I remember when war swords were first introduced, it was perilous for you to get close to families with different skin colors. Even though you did not have any weapons on you, they chased you for miles with a war sword away from their town. Sure, these "crusader for Jason" videos did probably their part for prejudices against other families, but it felt like racism to me back then.  I'm still waiting for Jason to drop this family concept based on skin color entirely.

@Coconut Fruit
In Germany, there is currently a discussion about removing the word "race" from the constitution because there is a lot of scientific evidence that the concept of race is not grounded by genetics and outdated. The problem is not that the German constitution is racist; the problem is that people might get the wrong idea that races exist even though that is not supported by the majority of recent scientific studies.

#22 2020-06-15 14:40:09

The_Anabaptist

You want better?

How about this then:  Whatever special biome your Eve chooses to settle in is what the family is allowed to interact in and if she chooses one of the more generic ones, you are out of luck for the desert, arctic & jungle.

The system as it exists is inherently racist.  The removal of it isn't politically correct, it is just the right thing to do if you believe all races can perform the same basic tasks as depicted in the game.  Anyone who argues otherwise is a racist in my book.  Skin tones should be so that everyone feels included in the game, not used as stereotypes of race x is good at y.

The_Anabaptist

#23 2020-06-15 15:00:20

MistressZues

The_Anabaptist wrote:

You want better?

How about this then:  Whatever special bio-me your Eve chooses to settle in is what the family is allowed to interact in and if she chooses one of the more generic ones, you are out of luck for the desert, arctic & jungle.

The system as it exists is inherently racist.  The removal of it isn't politically correct, it is just the right thing to do if you believe all races can perform the same basic tasks as depicted in the game.  Anyone who argues otherwise is a racist in my book.  Skin tones should be so that everyone feels included in the game, not used as stereotypes of race x is good at y.

The_Anabaptist

I love the eve settlement well specialty idea. It would be a suitable replacement for the vision he has but more loving an less prejudice.

I feel like this will also help keep a family alive for more generations, even a pseudo eve could move a few bio-mes over later and start a second town and so then your eleventh cousins could specialize in Arctic things and the main family branch can specialize in the jungle and then you could go to your neighbors who live in the dessert etc.

Its not fair that a family that has been alive for eighty generations has to die out because the Ginger family is a eve camp and cant do shit to help them with their water famine because they are no where near advanced enough to provide kero.

#24 2020-06-15 15:27:50

Dodge

The_Anabaptist wrote:

You want better?

How about this then:  Whatever special biome your Eve chooses to settle in is what the family is allowed to interact in and if she chooses one of the more generic ones, you are out of luck for the desert, arctic & jungle.

The_Anabaptist

And what if no Eve's chooses desert for example then you cant get sulfur, bad idea.

Black people dont get as easily sunburnt as gingers or other white people, does that mean that biology is racist?

It's not really about performing tasks since everyone can make latex if they have the ingredients, it's about evolution and adaptation to a particular environment.

Black people dont get heatstroke in the desert that's accurate to real life (to a certain degree) nothing racist with that.

Main issue imo is in the fact that it's a pure restriction instead of an advantage in adaptation over others.

#25 2020-06-15 15:38:48

Gogo
Banned

Racism is idea that some races are better, therefore they should rule, conquer and wipe out others. But every races in OHOL has limitations, there are no supreme ones. People confuse racism with race characteristics, which they lead to identity. Losing identity is another form of wiping your race, or weaker it to be enslaved. Modern political correctness is, in fact, another way of racism, a psychology war, very clever one where people lose identity by themselves and convince others to do it, in good faith, to get rid of racism.

When it comes to OHOL, I'm thinking about having one big multi-racial city (give white ones ability to share their homeland), 3 smaller mono-racial towns. Towns would depend on city for rubber, so people would still travel. Also people in mono-towns can be able to produce stuff that people in a city can't. And Eve's would orbit around city in circles. Females in city would be able to have children with different skin tones. I think by that everyone would be satisfied and can choose how they wanna play the game.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-06-15 18:47:59)

Board footer