a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-06-12 17:19:50

DestinyCall

Re: Could war ever be enjoyable gameplay

Arcurus wrote:
Gogo wrote:
WoodSpoon wrote:

I like that actually, It gives males an actual role as well. I like the idea of conquest to include other races into your family, Even if it has kinda rapey implications lol.

But people from another family must be able to kill. As I understand posse system, you need equal/bigger hierarchy to form a posse against existing one, right? Can outsider follow the foreign leader (to be safe in foreign town)?

I think you need now a super majority for your posse, exiling counts negative, so having same amount of people might work if you exile them...

honestly i lost with all the changes now it works now exactly with posse... have to check the code...

yes you can follow the outsider leader, maybe the posse protection alone already is enough to protect you...

By the way, if you wander in a group around without zoom mod, making one of your group the leader without any further top leader is great, since the /leader command shows you where the leader is.

We already have a war/peace mechanic in the game.   It could be linked into the posse mechanic to allow different rules of engagement between warring tribes.

Although, speaking honestly I find the entire idea of "going to war" with another family deeply distasteful and pointless.

#27 2020-06-12 18:20:59

Arcurus

DestinyCall wrote:

We already have a war/peace mechanic in the game.   It could be linked into the posse mechanic to allow different rules of engagement between warring tribes.

Although, speaking honestly I find the entire idea of "going to war" with another family deeply distasteful and pointless.

yea its kind of pointless...

how does the war system currently work?

#28 2020-06-12 18:58:33

fug

Arcurus wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

yea its kind of pointless...

how does the war system currently work?

I am old fart find another old fart and say war.

We are now at war which does nothing besides enable war swords to be used on the enemy family (still requires all the posse stuff.)

As an old fart I decide I don't like this so me and another old fart say peace in each others language we are now at peace.

All families start neutral until changed to peace or warring state.

Basically it does nothing besides enables people who want to be silly the ability to spam dings.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#29 2020-06-12 19:59:18

Arcurus

fug wrote:

I am old fart find another old fart and say war.

We are now at war which does nothing besides enable war swords to be used on the enemy family (still requires all the posse stuff.)

As an old fart I decide I don't like this so me and another old fart say peace in each others language we are now at peace.

All families start neutral until changed to peace or warring state.

Basically it does nothing besides enables people who want to be silly the ability to spam dings.

so war sword can only be used when at war?

#30 2020-06-12 20:16:55

Spoonwood

WoodSpoon wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

I don't see how war coheres with anything about parenting or civilization building.  It doesn't fit with how the game is advertised.

War and politics is a major part of civilization. Infact both are already implemented, We have ways to declare war/peace and hierarchy system.

Eat wood spoon

So I talked about civilization building and parenting.  I didn't talk about the state of civilization.  Not everything in civilization is about building.  War, in particular is about destroying or hindering other civilizations.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#31 2020-06-12 20:27:31

Gogo
Banned

Arcurus wrote:

so war sword can only be used when at war?

Yes.

---

An elders can't decide of war/peace, it's random people. It must be leaders, two leaders can't gather, so a leader should nominate one person that will be able to make war/peace declarations in the name of family (leader would get info if that person dies). The nominated person would gather some title.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-06-12 20:42:49)

#32 2020-06-12 22:15:45

WoodSpoon
Banned

Spoonwood wrote:
WoodSpoon wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

I don't see how war coheres with anything about parenting or civilization building.  It doesn't fit with how the game is advertised.

War and politics is a major part of civilization. Infact both are already implemented, We have ways to declare war/peace and hierarchy system.

Eat wood spoon

So I talked about civilization building and parenting.  I didn't talk about the state of civilization.  Not everything in civilization is about building.  War, in particular is about destroying or hindering other civilizations.

It prevents end game stagnation.

#33 2020-06-13 00:30:43

DestinyCall

WoodSpoon wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
WoodSpoon wrote:

Eat wood spoon

By hindering or destroying civilizations.

#34 2020-06-13 07:49:26

WoodSpoon
Banned

DestinyCall wrote:
WoodSpoon wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Adversity leads to innovation eventually.

Where's the fun in a 100% efficient and problem free society. Especially in this game where advancement isn't possible past a certain point.

Guess I'm playing devils advocate for Jason here.

Last edited by WoodSpoon (2020-06-13 07:50:06)

#35 2020-06-13 08:33:53

Dodge

In the current game definitly no but at one point hopefully the game will become more interesting in that regards and politics, territory, trade, war, travel etc will make sense.

But Jason is really shooting himself in the foot by adding strict restrictions like the ones there is currently.

Some make sense others dont, as one person you cant learn everything in a lifetime, that's why we have schools and jobs irl which makes us trade with others our time or money for other goods and services but other restrictions like iron, home and race restriction dont make much sense and limit gameplay in an uninteresting way.

Infinite map is dumb if you want long lasting history between different cities including political agreements, trading routes, laws etc.

If everything dies out in a couple of days if not hours then you dont have time to do all this or even the need to do it.

And strict race restriction forces gameplay in one direction instead of having multiple choices.

Home iron is a gimmick used instead of creating conditions that make sense like having an actual limit of this ressource in the world.

Last edited by Dodge (2020-06-13 08:34:46)

#36 2020-06-13 13:29:50

Spoonwood

WoodSpoon wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:
WoodSpoon wrote:

I don't know of any such examples in OHOL.

WoodSpoon wrote:

Where's the fun in a 100% efficient and problem free society.

One could ask where's the fun in a less than 100% efficient and problem free society?

Also, one can maintain that maximum efficiency and a problem free state is exactly where the fun lies.

That said, such doesn't happen in OHOL.

WoodSpoon wrote:

Playing devil's advocate indicates a controversial point of view in general.  If such a viewpoint were popular, it wouldn't be controversial, and thus wouldn't be something that needed a devil's advocate.  Thus, that you play devil's advocate shows that what you propose isn't something that would have broad-based appeal.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#37 2020-06-13 14:14:35

AmberA

The aspect of war within this game COULD be fun but it hasn't been because it's not the focus of the game. The game is and is advertised to be about parenting and civilization building. Any new player who is learning cook then sees their family slaughtered is not going to have fun. They did not sign up to play a PVP game. Many of them probably quit during the Rift. That's the problem with war currently in this game, its fun to those doing the killing and it's not fun to everyone else and the result is people quitting the game...because that isn't the game they paid to play.

However if Jason launched a new game, a spinoff - OHOL: War Edition and civilization building was much easier and combat was the real goal so that all other gameplay aspects supported the war effort then yes that would potentially be a fun  game.

#38 2020-06-13 15:04:52

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

No

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#39 2020-06-13 22:02:19

WoodSpoon
Banned

Spoonwood wrote:
WoodSpoon wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

I don't know of any such examples in OHOL.

WoodSpoon wrote:

Where's the fun in a 100% efficient and problem free society.

One could ask where's the fun in a less than 100% efficient and problem free society?

Also, one can maintain that maximum efficiency and a problem free state is exactly where the fun lies.

That said, such doesn't happen in OHOL.

WoodSpoon wrote:

Playing devil's advocate indicates a controversial point of view in general.  If such a viewpoint were popular, it wouldn't be controversial, and thus wouldn't be something that needed a devil's advocate.  Thus, that you play devil's advocate shows that what you propose isn't something that would have broad-based appeal.

Here you go again with the wounded ego.

Board footer