One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-28 21:39:45

Legs

Leadership

A lot of forum users probably rank high on the leaderboards, and as a result you all may have had some experience with leadership in the past week.

Let's talk about it!

A prompt to get us started: what do you like/dislike in a leader? I like leaders that take time to stop and teach new players.

Loco Motion

#2 2020-05-28 21:59:26

miskas

Re: Leadership

I like them to inform us about the current situation and asking if someone is interested to do something about it.
I don't like them just order staff, I like them to make us co-operate and support each other.
I prefer them to look for what their people are capable of.

Not: Order, Someone has to cook.
But: Order, Who wants to make food?  Ben appears. Next order, Ben will cook, bring him wheat and meat. Then the leader himself brings staff to him to thank him for cooking.

Leader sees a working citizen and says thank you. Then orders, Tomi brought us rabbits, come make backpacks and take meat.
Leaders see the smith. Order, Fiona is smithing, please bring kindling to smith.

Last edited by miskas (2020-05-28 22:02:16)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#3 2020-05-28 22:02:13

testo

I hate being a leader, I started to use /die to purposedly tank my genescore and avoid leadership.

I like leaders that just let things go with their own flow and only give small orders in extreme cases.

Last edited by testo (2020-05-28 22:02:50)

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#4 2020-05-29 09:09:23

Arcurus

testo wrote:

I hate being a leader, I started to use /die to purposedly tank my genescore and avoid leadership.

I like leaders that just let things go with their own flow and only give small orders in extreme cases.

why not just pick one and follow him?

I mainly use the command system to warn about Bears, or to thank or to ask the horse person to bring some stuff if there is no other horse, its so difficult otherwise to catch him.

Its funny to be born as baby and some minute later to become leader, happend especially in the first week, now all have higher genes so its harder to become a leader ....

The exile i never needed to use and never one asked me for it.

Currently i see it to hard to fight back against an evil leader.

Possible solution would be to always allow to fight back against an attacker, so the leader can choose with exile when the fight starts, but he does not automatically win the fight without proper support.

Also the leaders (subleaders) gene score should be affected for all that auto follow him, he  should becomes responsible for the auto followers. so the gene score of an evil leader or one sub leader who follows an evil leader would tank fast.

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-05-29 09:15:03)

#5 2020-05-29 18:23:27

Crumpaloo

Arcurus wrote:
testo wrote:

I mainly use the command system to warn about Bears, or to thank or to ask the horse person to bring some stuff if there is no other horse, its so difficult otherwise to catch him.

Its funny to be born as baby and some minute later to become leader, happend especially in the first week, now all have higher genes so its harder to become a leader ....

The exile i never needed to use and never one asked me for it.

Currently i see it to hard to fight back against an evil leader.

Possible solution would be to always allow to fight back against an attacker, so the leader can choose with exile when the fight starts, but he does not automatically win the fight without proper support.

Also the leaders (subleaders) gene score should be affected for all that auto follow him, he  should becomes responsible for the auto followers. so the gene score of an evil leader or one sub leader who follows an evil leader would tank fast.

Bruh how you even get a high meme socre? Mine gets tanked by sid babys and dumb people 24/7

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#6 2020-05-29 18:57:08

DestinyCall

Crumpaloo wrote:

Bruh how you even get a high meme socre? Mine gets tanked by sid babys and dumb people 24/7

As far as I can determine it is heavily luck-based.   I largely ignore meme score and play as I want.  Occasionally, I will focus on teaching a new player who wants to learn about the game, but the majority of my babies just get bare minimum feedings while I keep working.   If they live long enough and I don't forget, I will name them.   When possible I provide clothing.  Other than that, I do nothing special, beyond a little random chit-chat and wishing them luck when grown.   

My gene score hovers around 30 to 40 most lives, giving me 1 or 2 bonus tool slots.   But it bumps up and down for no reason.   One life I was 125th place.   A few lives after that, I was in 16th place with 3 bonus slots.   Next life I was back down to 2 bonus slots.   

If I have more than a handful of children, there is no time to develop a personal relationship with each one.   In my "teaching lives", I will focus on my new kid and usually do not learn much about my other children.   In lives where I have had literally dozens of babies, I don't even bother naming them until they are old enough to survive independently.   It isn't worth my time to think up so many names when they won't live long enough to need them.   

Long story short, a baby limit would be a BETTER way to encourage good parenting, instead of gene score.

There are many ways to lose gene score that have nothing to do with bad play and raising your score past a certain point is basically just RNG-based.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-05-29 18:59:58)

#7 2020-05-29 19:01:21

Twisted

DestinyCall wrote:

As far as I can determine it is heavily luck-based. I largely ignore meme score and play as I want.

I mean, yes, if you ignore it it IS luck based. That's kinda how it's supposed to work. Sometimes you'll be near the bottom, sometimes near the top, sometimes in the middle. But if you don't ignore it you can be highly ranked basically all the time.

#8 2020-05-29 19:52:58

Arcurus

Crumpaloo wrote:

Do you mean SID babies which uses /kill? I thought they do not lower your score, for sure they lower their score.

good question, i actually dont look much at the influence on my score / so i do no extra effort, i just play for fun.

I normally play only 1 hour at a time, except as a Eve, there i try to get back to the same village as soon as possible. When young i just do some basic farming and cooking, luckily in most lifes always water was there. Running after starving people seems to be too difficult so i dont do that, but if they have common food, normally they eat it.

Maybe im also lucky since i dont play in a time zone, where tons of new players join, so i have mostly 2 children.  In the beginning i tried to play during a time where in 90% you starve to death as baby, but now i just skip this timings.

To dumb people, only which i see little "dumb" are berry eaters, but most of them can be talked to with reason.

Only one time I got in conflict, where i thought the other player is doing RPL so i responded to that like a teenager would do. But then i recognized after he cursed me, oh he might actually not only play in game an teenager, he may be actually an teenager.  Funny was that he then want to kill me, but he did not know how and then the leader came and said to us in game teenagers that we children should behave, then it was over, did not see him again, also did not curse him. Was quite funny experience and actually up to now the only curse i got which was really meant for me.

Funningly i just reflekted to the other player what he said, but even in an less way, but he tired to blame me for exactly all the things he did before i ever was thinking about it. Dont know if he even was aware of it. I guess life is just a mirror....

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-05-29 19:57:21)

#9 2020-05-30 02:16:59

DestinyCall

Twisted wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

As far as I can determine it is heavily luck-based. I largely ignore meme score and play as I want.

I mean, yes, if you ignore it it IS luck based. That's kinda how it's supposed to work. Sometimes you'll be near the bottom, sometimes near the top, sometimes in the middle. But if you don't ignore it you can be highly ranked basically all the time.

I ignore it BECAUSE it is luck-based (and gimmicky).    Getting a decent meme score isn't that hard but if you actually care about it your meme score, you will be repeatedly punished for it by bad RNG.   The score fluctuates wildly depending on factors that are completely beyond your control.      Purposefully driving down your score is quite easy.   But completely avoiding stuff that tanks your score is not.  And you gain points for stuff that has nothing to do with your own choices.

I'm in 9th place right now and I've done nothing in particular to get there.   How does that even make sense?

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-05-30 04:26:48)

#10 2020-05-30 02:51:04

testo

Arcurus wrote:
testo wrote:

Cause I´m not a complete asshole to others and I won´t roll the dice just to avoid something I can avoid by siding. Choosing a bad leader that wants to be leader is as bad as a someone that doesn´t want to.

But it also helps me not to Eve, since the last time I went to Eve level I just couldn´t play for like 40 minutes.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#11 2020-05-30 07:33:19

Arcurus

testo wrote:

Cause I´m not a complete asshole to others and I won´t roll the dice just to avoid something I can avoid by siding. Choosing a bad leader that wants to be leader is as bad as a someone that doesn´t want to.

But it also helps me not to Eve, since the last time I went to Eve level I just couldn´t play for like 40 minutes.

yea would never choose some one who want to become leader....
just choose a person who does good work. At worst you can follow yourself again and through that remove his leader status.

Board footer