One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-23 02:05:51

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: Zero Known Bugs

c5zVU13.png

Finally got through the whole list of reported issues.  There's now a lovely count of zero outstanding reports on both the code and data repositories.

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues

Beyond that (and because of all the very helpful reports), the game is in a pretty good place right now.  Most of the systems, like property, leadership, and YUM chains are more useful, and therefore more widely used, than ever before.  The challenge of managing collective resources to survive is ever-present, even in advanced villages.  Even more important, that challenge is constantly changing, as the situation in each village shifts over time.  There's very often something important to do that will actually help your village survive---and the choices you make along the way actually matter.  The promise of each life being a unique story is closer to being delivered than ever before.

The big things to notice this week is that you can get an arrow to your top leader with the /LEADER command, and a new /UNFOLLOW command is available in case you're too young to utter the necessary phrase.  Speaking of being too young, the speech length curve (which grows with age) has been tweaked quite a bit, giving you more speech length much earlier in life.  You now gain a ton of speech length between ages 8 and 16, and gain a bit more than that by the time you reach old age.

NO MORE

BREAKING UP

INTO MULTIPLE

UTTERANCES

People who are starving (less than 20 seconds left before they die of hunger) make a starving face, complete with a whimpering sound that can be seen off screen.  Rail carts hold twice as much as they used to, and corner property fences auto-renew themselves when nearby fences are renewed.  The car is now faster and goes much farther on a single unit of fuel.  Also, a bunch of other little fixes.

#2 2020-05-23 02:30:00

Grim_Arbiter

Re: Update: Zero Known Bugs

Pretty damn good fixes. Looking forward to those longer sentences.

The shovel not taking a use for graves is my favorite though.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#3 2020-05-23 02:30:00

Spoonwood

Plenty of denied deficiences of the game.

A parenting game without fathers is just one of them.

Also, no shortage of veteran players saying that the game is in a bad place for many various reasons.

Yum is NOT more useful than it has ever been.  It just add one extra time of food than the previous yum food when a different food gets eaten as it has always done.  It's easier to execute since it can't get broken, but also can't get restarted for late life extra yum.  There is no extra time from yum than how it was before, and thus it is not more useful.

There is no challenge to survive, because survival is not ultimately possible.  No one survives in the end.  All players die, and all lineages die out.  Anytime you play, your village will die out.  Nothing matters in the end, because no matter what you do, you die individually, your lineage dies, and your town dies out.  All lives are the same in that they end with death.  And the start of lives barely vary at all for players, since the majority of players start as children.

I don't know how WBSteve's videos will work with the new format.  Who knows?

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-05-23 02:39:48)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2020-05-23 02:41:08

Grim_Arbiter

Jason is everyones father spoon, I thought we established this meta...

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#5 2020-05-23 02:46:33

Spoonwood

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

This is not something that happens in game, and thus is nonsense.

Danish Clinch.

#6 2020-05-23 03:11:40

antking:]#

Spoonwood wrote:
Grim_Arbiter wrote:

This is not something that happens in game, and thus is nonsense.

Are you sure about that? wink

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#7 2020-05-23 03:11:43

Coconut Fruit

Stop repeating the same stuff over and over again Spoonwood, please.

Great update Jason!
I really think this game is better than ever before, and race specializations that I hated before are pretty cool to me now, helping other families is fun.
I've been enjoying every single life lately, no boredom at all like it used to be very often in the past.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2020-05-23 03:15:35)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#8 2020-05-23 03:17:17

antking:]#

This is a great update but I do see a small bug right off the bat, now that baskets are made with skewers, their is no reason to make baskets out of string, and weak skewers don't break when making a basket but they do when using a regular skewer....

and does this mean we will be getting the cow update soon?

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#9 2020-05-23 03:22:12

jasonrohrer
Administrator

The multitudes flow forth from my turgid loins!

My essences rain down upon their supple bodies, like the sweet milk of heaven.

VOG is the father of all.  And he loves you.

#10 2020-05-23 03:24:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Oh, I see that about the regular skewer.... hmm...

Regular skewer should become weak after making a basket.  Thus, it won't break after that.  I'll make a note of that.

#11 2020-05-23 04:30:10

Spoonwood

There is no fatherhood in game, in a game about parenting.  It's been a problem with this game for a very long time.  Denial of that doesn't go anywhere.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2020-05-23 04:33:40

Spoonwood

And love does NOT involve making players having children all the time without their choosing to do so.  I don't think new players understand the new fertility mechanics by any means, and it isn't like Eves have effective means of birth control for a while.

Danish Clinch.

#13 2020-05-23 05:26:57

Jamie

So now that the technical stuff is taken care of, Maybe next week can be content.

#14 2020-05-23 06:18:03

Coconut Fruit

Yes spoonwood, you repeated it milion times. Can't wait to see it repeated by you again in another topic.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#15 2020-05-23 07:49:08

miskas

THANKS Jason, the game is at its best state right now!

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#16 2020-05-23 10:39:32

Twisted

Great stuff, super exicted about the starving notification especially.

#17 2020-05-23 13:25:24

Solbusaur

YES! I can finally write shit on paper without having to look like a witch doing so!
I actually managed to write basic instructions on wolf farming by age 30.

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#18 2020-05-24 01:43:28

Elsayal

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Yes spoonwood, you repeated it milion times. Can't wait to see it repeated by you again in another topic.

Me too !
It's so refreshing !

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#19 2020-05-24 02:54:09

Spoonwood

This got asserted:

jasonrohrer wrote:

I want to make a game where anything is possible, in terms of social structure, and it's totally up to the players.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 738#p46738

The game is inadequate for anything in terms of social structure, since leadership by in game fathers as up to the players is not something that they can choose.

There's clearly a contradictory state of affairs if one believes anything is possible in terms of social structure, when only a subset of all possible social structures is possible.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-05-24 02:55:45)

Danish Clinch.

#20 2020-05-24 06:35:18

Alterior

Spoonwood wrote:

leadership by in game fathers as up to the players is not something that they can choose.

You can follow a man if it pleases you Spoon. It happens a bit these days anyway with the way inheritance works now.

Berry bushes are weeds, tear them up, set them on fire. Corn is the food of the gods.

#21 2020-05-24 12:39:30

Spoonwood

Alterior wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

leadership by in game fathers as up to the players is not something that they can choose.

You can follow a man if it pleases you Spoon. It happens a bit these days anyway with the way inheritance works now.

Players can't follow an in-game father.

Danish Clinch.

#22 2020-05-24 13:09:46

Alterior

Spoonwood wrote:
Alterior wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Parthenogenesis.

This is a horny hill to die on.

Berry bushes are weeds, tear them up, set them on fire. Corn is the food of the gods.

#23 2020-05-24 13:23:34

Crumpaloo

Alterior wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
Alterior wrote:

Parthenogenesis.

This is a horny hill to die on.

Hey, you would be cranky too if you couldn't reenact your favorite P0rnHub video with your step sis in OHOL.

Last edited by Crumpaloo (2020-05-24 13:24:04)

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#24 2020-05-24 18:20:49

testo

Wait zero bugs means the bowl thing is a feature?

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#25 2020-05-24 18:51:26

Arcurus

jasonrohrer wrote:

The multitudes flow forth from my turgid loins!

My essences rain down upon their supple bodies, like the sweet milk of heaven.

VOG is the father of all.  And he loves you.

lol, who ever VOG is (would be great to have some ingame hints or did i miss them) must have a very bad gene score, since  taking care of just few is for sure lot more difficult then to take care of tons of children like VOG needs to do... I guess VOG will never become a leader!

Board footer