One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-21 16:12:07

Silvses

Killers, Endgame & Now decay

Forwarding the discussion from reddit where we discussed that the issue with killers arrived due to lack of endgame content whenever a village is fully developed and there is nothing to new to strive for. Reddit post.

The new update, Decay system, is opposite to the games philosophy in my opinion. I understand adding more difficulty can be good to improve the longevity of the game however that update is counter intuitive. This will prevent from any bigger town happening as everything will die off whenever most of the server would go to sleep.

The purpose of bigger towns is to have a established farm to then have the rest of the population do more specialized jobs which should improve everyone quality of life. It should work in the Pareto's 80/20 principle where majority of the babies would be born in the big/well-fed towns, while some babies would be unfortunate to be born in tribal/poverty.

In short: higher tech content, not making the current level harder.

Last edited by Silvses (2018-04-21 16:14:50)

#2 2018-04-21 17:03:17

kubassa
Banned

Re: Killers, Endgame & Now decay

Silvses wrote:

Forwarding the discussion from reddit where we discussed that the issue with killers arrived due to lack of endgame content whenever a village is fully developed and there is nothing to new to strive for. Reddit post.

The new update, Decay system, is opposite to the games philosophy in my opinion. I understand adding more difficulty can be good to improve the longevity of the game however that update is counter intuitive. This will prevent from any bigger town happening as everything will die off whenever most of the server would go to sleep.

The purpose of bigger towns is to have a established farm to then have the rest of the population do more specialized jobs which should improve everyone quality of life. It should work in the Pareto's 80/20 principle where majority of the babies would be born in the big/well-fed towns, while some babies would be unfortunate to be born in tribal/poverty.

In short: higher tech content, not making the current level harder.

Decay has ruined the game.

I got huge ballz.

#3 2018-04-21 17:09:35

aldraw

The influx of asian players should help keep towns going

#4 2018-04-21 17:17:42

Silvses

aldraw wrote:

I just played a whole life. Found the biggest town so far in after the update. There were 4 people, 2 fertile women. With the abundance of food, we were always full, didn't spawn any babies for the entire fertile period.

#5 2018-04-21 17:54:49

kubassa
Banned

Silvses wrote:
aldraw wrote:

I just played a whole life. Found the biggest town so far in after the update. There were 4 people, 2 fertile women. With the abundance of food, we were always full, didn't spawn any babies for the entire fertile period.

That is because no one is playing but those in your tribe. The new update sucks and not fun to have to make everything multiple times in 1 life.

I got huge ballz.

#6 2018-04-21 18:05:41

arkajalka

kubassa wrote:
Silvses wrote:
aldraw wrote:

That is because no one is playing but those in your tribe. The new update sucks and not fun to have to make everything multiple times in 1 life.

Yep this game feels like a loop of Eveing now. Get 3 rope, make water carrying tool, set up farm, hope your decendants can make tools.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#7 2018-04-21 18:09:22

sammoh

2HOL will not be implementing decay.

Two Hours, One Life - a curated OHOL server with heavy modifications.

Discord:     https://discord.gg/atEgxm7
Address:          https://github.com/frankvalentine/clients

#8 2018-04-21 18:19:41

mulgara

kubassa wrote:
Silvses wrote:
aldraw wrote:

It's also because it's temperature that now affects birthrate, and no longer food. If you want more babies, make sure you're as close to ideal temperature as possible. This is actually a pretty welcome change, especially as an Eve. However, I did find it really hard to birth anyone last night even at a fire, and I suspect it is because no one is playing.

#9 2018-04-21 18:35:55

kubassa
Banned

arkajalka wrote:
kubassa wrote:
Silvses wrote:

Yep this game feels like a loop of Eveing now. Get 3 rope, make water carrying tool, set up farm, hope your decendants can make tools.

now it is: get 6 rope 2 water carry things, because it will all break, and the farm will be dead and full of broken garbage with noway to clean up.

I got huge ballz.

#10 2018-04-22 00:32:14

KucheKlizma

kubassa wrote:
arkajalka wrote:
kubassa wrote:

now it is: get 6 rope 2 water carry things, because it will all break, and the farm will be dead and full of broken garbage with noway to clean up.

*And watch your descendants grief the little you've accomplished.

#11 2018-04-22 02:16:22

walker

How can it be temperature that determines how many babies you have when i was a naked eve and had 3 kids at one time, that is ridiculous. i could barely feed myself and i kept popping out babies!

#12 2018-04-22 03:07:13

Alleria

walker wrote:

How can it be temperature that determines how many babies you have when i was a naked eve and had 3 kids at one time, that is ridiculous. i could barely feed myself and i kept popping out babies!

Probably because everyone else was naked as well? If you can barely feed yourself, then abandon the babies. The previous mechanic increased the chance you'd be born to a noob mother who overfeeds, whereas this mechanic increases the chance you're born to a good player who optimises temperature, a player at home, or at the very least a clothed player.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#13 2018-04-22 03:09:38

Alleria

aldraw wrote:

Asian players (or noobs in general) are a net negative in a society, so why would they keep towns going? New players cause the collapse of towns...

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#14 2018-04-22 03:30:32

Redhawk

Alleria wrote:
aldraw wrote:

Asian players (or noobs in general) are a net negative in a society, so why would they keep towns going? New players cause the collapse of towns...

We were all new once................
Even the griefers

#15 2018-04-22 04:06:37

Tane

It's sad that this decay came about.
While a good idea, the rate is far too fast. I agree with the others that just making farming harder, and now with the decay, it makes the game almost too taxing to be fun. The clothing and basket decay seems like the worst parts. No more handing down your clothing, or using your great grandfathers axe. In fact in 20 or so lives, I haven't seen a single person with any clothes anymore.
Jason said some of the changes might be game-breaking. I guess this is one of them

#16 2018-04-22 04:17:11

Xuhybrid

So sad that he keeps making changes against his original game design, against the players wishes and killing player population.

He probably saw the group of meta gamers who coordinated on Discrord and said "How can i stop people doing that?". Resulting on ruining the experience for literally everyone.

Last edited by Xuhybrid (2018-04-22 04:17:50)

Board footer