One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-16 18:54:31

Spoonwood

Remove Posse

This isn't my opinion.

I started watching WolvenScar's stream, and saw a sign on stream saying "REMOVE POSSE".  Laugh all you want at players doing in game protests (I read about players doing this around when Ultima Online came out decades ago), but letters take a while to make.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2020-05-16 19:15:48

tocal

Re: Remove Posse

If you can get a screenshot, this seems like it could be good meme fodder.

#3 2020-05-16 20:34:35

Arcurus

sounds funny! Is there a link to the video?

#4 2020-05-16 23:48:44

Spoonwood

Danish Clinch.

#5 2020-05-18 06:26:33

Blue tinker

OOOH, that's my sign! It is my form of protest against the posse system as opposed to bobo's form of 'protest'. Took an entire life but it seems it was worth it if many people saw it. I will probably make another one soon, it was a lot of fun.

Of course feel free to make signs like this on your own, next time the gamedev logs in for a test life he will be surprised.

New to the forum but not the game. Property fence enthusiast.

#6 2020-05-18 06:41:58

Alontae Balasa

Blue tinker wrote:

OOOH, that's my sign! It is my form of protest against the posse system as opposed to bobo's form of 'protest'. Took an entire life but it seems it was worth it if many people saw it. I will probably make another one soon, it was a lot of fun.

Of course feel free to make signs like this on your own, next time the gamedev logs in for a test life he will be surprised.

I like this form of protest. Much better than killing everyone you see and glorifying yourself.

I ask a lot of questions. Thanks for answering them!

.-.. . .- .-. -. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / - --- / ... .--. . .- -.- / .-- .. - .... / --- - .... . .-. / ..-. .- -- .. .-.. .. . ...

#7 2020-05-18 07:33:22

testo

Alontae Balasa wrote:
Blue tinker wrote:

I like this form of protest. Much better than killing everyone you see and glorifying yourself.

Wait what? when did Bobin become a protester? does he make a statement of what does he protest for?

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#8 2020-05-18 07:41:39

Arcurus

Blue tinker wrote:

lol, ingame protests. this game is really good in creating funny stories.

#9 2020-05-18 10:45:57

Blue tinker

Today I made another protest sign. Took an entire life and someone tried to grief it but mnaged to lock it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/onehouronelife … f_protest/

New to the forum but not the game. Property fence enthusiast.

#10 2020-05-18 10:46:33

Spoonwood

Arcurus wrote:
Blue tinker wrote:

lol, ingame protests. this game is really good in creating funny stories.

That's the players doing such, not because of the game's design.  And the game's design is what gets protested.  Also, as suggested above, players have made in-game protests in multiplayer computer games for decades now.  I doubt that a protest that if a protest doesn't go anywhere, that it will be interesting in the end.

Danish Clinch.

#11 2020-05-18 20:45:28

karltown_veteran

I once spent my whole life making a sign. It brought shame upon my town but I was damn proud of it.
0UCqETt.png

Last edited by karltown_veteran (2020-05-18 20:47:05)

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#12 2020-05-18 20:55:02

Spoonwood

karltown_veteran wrote:

I once spent my whole life making a sign. It brought shame upon my town but I was damn proud of it.
https://i.imgur.com/0UCqETt.png

I could be wrong, but I think you would have gotten a little more attention on this one if you had made your own thread for that sign.  It's also kind of off topic, since it's not a protest.  Nice positioning of the feet next to the sign to get people to look at the contrasting shoes though.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-05-18 20:55:09)

Danish Clinch.

#13 2020-05-18 21:03:55

Arcurus

Spoonwood wrote:

That's the players doing such, not because of the game's design.  And the game's design is what gets protested.  Also, as suggested above, players have made in-game protests in multiplayer computer games for decades now.  I doubt that a protest that if a protest doesn't go anywhere, that it will be interesting in the end.

sorry did not play multiplayer games since nearly two decades before OHOL, i hardly played them at all except strategy games, and there i never saw a protest...

#14 2020-05-18 21:09:50

karltown_veteran

Spoonwood wrote:
karltown_veteran wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think you would have gotten a little more attention on this one if you had made your own thread for that sign.  It's also kind of off topic, since it's not a protest.  Nice positioning of the feet next to the sign to get people to look at the contrasting shoes though.

You're confusing, but not in a good way. Also it's perfectly on topic, because it's a sign.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#15 2020-05-18 21:11:28

antking:]#

karltown_veteran wrote:

10/10 sign

Last edited by antking:]# (2020-05-18 21:11:42)

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#16 2020-05-18 22:03:53

Spoonwood

karltown_veteran wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
karltown_veteran wrote:

You're confusing, but not in a good way. Also it's perfectly on topic, because it's a sign.

The topic wasn't signs.  It was 'remove posse', because it was an in-game protest.

Danish Clinch.

#17 2020-05-19 01:07:43

Gomez

I'm ok with the posse system honestly, I've had success with it.  I'd even argue when it's pulled off correctly griefers have it rough.  It works a bit better when you have leader, we really need to be backing leader first then questioning his judgement later.  If town determines leader was unjust can vote him out of power, exile and or kill. 

In my experience I think exiling in best and only killing if they flat out refuse to leave town.  I've noticed that players eager to kill an exile are often a bit morally questionable themselves.  I always try to go for exile as first severe punishment. 

It was funny I had twins spawn and immediately they start in with profanity and racial slurs...I informed them that I was very likely to get leader as high fitness and they suicided shortly after and I did indeed have leadership about ten minutes later.

Certainly needs some tuning and could be improved though...personally I think Jason is tying in his systems rather well.  They're very complex, a bit arcane and need to be documented better.

It's worth noting that you have mass communication as a leader and can use to teach town as well.  I think practicing emergency drills might be a good thing.  We did fire drills in school why not griefer drills til it becomes well known in community and in game?  I ordered town to hearth and formed posse from there it worked out, most of the town showed up.  Funny enough I had spent probably 3-4 minutes just saying join me before I actually issues the far more effective order.

We don't always need Jason to give us a magic bullet to solve our problems.

edit : ok done editing

Last edited by Gomez (2020-05-19 01:14:33)

#18 2020-05-19 01:37:17

karltown_veteran

Spoonwood wrote:
karltown_veteran wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

The topic wasn't signs.  It was 'remove posse', because it was an in-game protest.

Shshshshshhhhushhhh

#19 2020-05-19 01:46:06

Laskara

karltown_veteran wrote:

thank you, this is actually my favorite thing that has ever happened.

#20 2020-05-19 01:48:34

Laskara

Gomez wrote:

I'm ok with the posse system honestly, I've had success with it.  I'd even argue when it's pulled off correctly griefers have it rough.  It works a bit better when you have leader, we really need to be backing leader first then questioning his judgement later.  If town determines leader was unjust can vote him out of power, exile and or kill. 

In my experience I think exiling in best and only killing if they flat out refuse to leave town.  I've noticed that players eager to kill an exile are often a bit morally questionable themselves.  I always try to go for exile as first severe punishment. 

It was funny I had twins spawn and immediately they start in with profanity and racial slurs...I informed them that I was very likely to get leader as high fitness and they suicided shortly after and I did indeed have leadership about ten minutes later.

Certainly needs some tuning and could be improved though...personally I think Jason is tying in his systems rather well.  They're very complex, a bit arcane and need to be documented better.

It's worth noting that you have mass communication as a leader and can use to teach town as well.  I think practicing emergency drills might be a good thing.  We did fire drills in school why not griefer drills til it becomes well known in community and in game?  I ordered town to hearth and formed posse from there it worked out, most of the town showed up.  Funny enough I had spent probably 3-4 minutes just saying join me before I actually issues the far more effective order.

We don't always need Jason to give us a magic bullet to solve our problems.

edit : ok done editing

we hardcore agree for once, the genetic fitness update to the leadership system seems to have actually worked and things are a lot better now, every time i exile someone someone else is ready to posse up on em and shit doesn't last long anymore

#21 2020-05-19 07:20:36

Arcurus

Laskara wrote:

we hardcore agree for once, the genetic fitness update to the leadership system seems to have actually worked and things are a lot better now, every time i exile someone someone else is ready to posse up on em and shit doesn't last long anymore

yea getting rid of griefers if you have a good leader is kind of easy now, but how is it about getting rid of an evil leader that wants to kill his village and has the support of one or two of his griefer friends...

any experiences?

#22 2020-05-19 08:06:32

Crumpaloo

Arcurus wrote:
Laskara wrote:

yea getting rid of griefers if you have a good leader is kind of easy now, but how is it about getting rid of an evil leader that wants to kill his village and has the support of one or two of his griefer friends...

any experiences?

Die? Once someone like that gets leadership your already doomed. Vets who try to fight will be the first to die, followed by everyone else. Running away doesn't help either cause they can just build a property fence around the town and deny you access for 2 hours after the fact.

This puts people in a impossible situation. All the preparation in the world can be dismantled in about 5 minutes

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#23 2020-05-19 12:28:54

schmloo

Griefing (murder griefing specifically for this example) has always been easier than tackling murder griefing, and now that gap has widened massively with posses relying on leadership. At least when solo killing was possible, even with slowdown and posse mechanics not completely enforced, more experienced players could chase off griefers with fear of death. Now however, they can just stand there and laugh because you or anyone else are genuinely not in any position to stop them. At least before there was a small possibility for a town on its own to come out on top against a group of griefers, even better chances of success if there’s one or two experienced players there.

I’m a strong supporter of whoever has suggested blessings before, and here’s why. It’s a passive effect and lets players decide for themselves, much like how posse was before where it could increase the chances of killing, but wasn’t a set requirement. With blessings, if they work parallel to curses in that they mark players, you can determine who you’ve marked as good in previous lives and therefore you know who to trust in a dispute. Gameplay-wise, trust is and always has been earned and not inherited, especially since you have about 10 minutes to figure out if someone’s causing harm to the town for whatever personal satisfaction or not. Players aren’t stupid, they’re just not given any trust-building tools, which unfortunately leads to them having to make a split second decision on someone’s intentions based off of very insignificant evidence.

Remove the need for a posse, but still have its effects as a potential helper against griefers (basically just revert back to the first(?) version of a posse). I know people don’t like stuff coming from me for one reason or another, and quite frankly I don’t care because I’ll always say what I mean, but I’d ask that this be taken into consideration.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#24 2020-05-19 15:41:45

tocal

I say we remove posse. It' too complicated, non-intuitive, relies on chat, and has proven again and again to not work.

Make killing also wound the killer too. Or if you want to keep it realistic, killing someone wounds the killer if the person they attacked also had a knife/sword/axe/weapon. Killing still slows you drastically.

To keep it more functional, once you've been healed, there's a timer before you can attack someone/be healed or something like that... basically an incentive to punish chain attacks/heals. This is also realistic... someone who's been weakened by a wound isn't in a position to attack someone right away.

#25 2020-05-19 16:05:39

Dantox

tocal wrote:

I say we remove posse. It' too complicated, non-intuitive, relies on chat, and has proven again and again to not work.

This is my major problem with the posse system, being non-intuitive makes it so when you need to make a posse you will not being able to pull it fast enough because people do not understand how it works, and when you get it done the griefer already left. This happens a lot when your village is mostly newbies. I guess if it was veterans would be about reacting to it fast enough.

make bread, no war

Board footer