One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-05 04:42:34

OldBaby

Helpful, simple tasks for new players?

What are some helpful things new players can do that help the colony? Stuff that doesn't require a lot of knowledge.

#2 2018-03-05 04:50:53

Uncle Gus

Re: Helpful, simple tasks for new players?

Gather water (without draining ponds). Gather berries in baskets. Bring branches to the forge.

#3 2018-03-05 05:24:54

OldBaby

Uncle Gus wrote:

Gather water (without draining ponds). Gather berries in baskets. Bring branches to the forge.

And there's no downside to watering anything that's planted and dry, right?

#4 2018-03-05 05:31:40

Matok

OldBaby wrote:

And there's no downside to watering anything that's planted and dry, right?

There is one that I can think of dealing with carrots. If you water carrots and let them grow but never pick them, I believe they eventually just die off. I saw this happen when I watered a large crop of dry carrot seeds I came across. I planned to let them stay on the plot so they'd become flowering carrots for whoever came next, leaving a bunch of seeds ready to go. I didn't pick them when they were flowering, and after a while, poof! They were all gone.

So if you see flowering carrots, be sure to pick them! At least put the seeds in a basket or something, or replant them.

#5 2018-03-05 05:55:52

Twinsen

Matok wrote:

There is one that I can think of dealing with carrots. If you water carrots and let them grow but never pick them, I believe they eventually just die off. I saw this happen when I watered a large crop of dry carrot seeds I came across. I planned to let them stay on the plot so they'd become flowering carrots for whoever came next, leaving a bunch of seeds ready to go. I didn't pick them when they were flowering, and after a while, poof! They were all gone.

I believe this has to do with server setting where if any object hasn't been touched by anyone, those objects will be gone to save server memory.

#6 2018-03-05 06:02:27

jord1990

The most important thing is to listen to the people already in the village. If you don't you might accidentally eat all the seeding carrots and kill all the people in the process

#7 2018-03-05 06:03:36

TyrantNomad

I have a few roles listed in this post:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … d=869#p869

It's kinda just listing what people already end up doing and you'll often switch between roles.

#8 2018-03-05 06:09:21

Twinsen

Sometimes, people are too eager to work and I don't like it.

In a flourishing village where a fire is kept well, I would prefer those clothes-less children stay near fire to slow hunger and prevent from over-eating.  Further, a child won't run fast until 12 anyway so he/she would be less of a burden when that village already has a dedicated water-carry, a farmer, and a rabbit-killer.

I am looking forward for anyone to provide breast-milking stat and see if it's a one to one conversion or less effective.

#9 2018-03-05 06:16:16

TyrantNomad

Twinsen wrote:

Sometimes, people are too eager to work and I don't like it.

In a flourishing village where a fire is kept well, I would prefer those clothes-less children stay near fire to slow hunger and prevent from over-eating.  Further, a child won't run fast until 12 anyway so he/she would be less of a burden when that village already has a dedicated water-carry, a farmer, and a rabbit-killer.

I am looking forward for anyone to provide breast-milking stat and see if it's a one to one conversion or less effective.

I think breastfeeding is roughly 1:4 - but that's assuming that the kid has 4 empty bars and you're picking it up at the right time.
Kids actually have smaller food limits I think - and I mean that their food squares are worth less, a single berry fills'em up.

#10 2018-03-05 06:26:55

Twinsen

TyrantNomad wrote:

Kids actually have smaller food limits I think - and I mean that their food squares are worth less, a single berry fills'em up.

Yes, the single berry thing is what I meant by over-eating; I would prefer the mom eat the berry and milk the child instead of having that child to eat the berry; but again, if breast-milk is really indeed more efficient, I am all for that. Further, this is only possible in a flourishing village with a carefree mom.

If breast-milk is more efficient for the child, the mom in a small village can bring the kid to work IMO and milk him/her while she eat the food.

#11 2018-03-05 07:20:28

asterlea

gathering wild milkweed can often be very helpful, as long as they know to only pick fruiting

#12 2018-03-05 07:46:45

Tebe

I feel it greatly depends on what's going on in the village. After getting the hang of things, you'll be able to look at a farm and see where the problem is.

If everyone is naked there is probably a milkweed shortage. Harvesting fruiting milkweed and starting new milkweed plants.

If there isn't a forge you can work toward building one.

If the crops need more water, you can run watering trips - if there's not enough bowls or pouches, you can work toward making one.

Every village will run into food shortages at some point. Be ready to gather seeds and plant and water them. Take a basket out of town and bring gooseberries.

Always try to water a drying gooseberry bush.
Get good at building fires - if there's a lot of raw rabbit meat, build a fast fire and cook the rabbit over the coals when it goes out. Never over flame.

Milkweed is gold in this game. Every stalk is like a brand new mined bitcoin. If you are born into a village that doesn't have a milkweed farm and is running naked, starting a milkweed farm (preferably a good bit away from the bustling center) is a great thing you can offer.

Get very familiar with the surrounding biomes. Where is the prairie, the marsh, the mountain?
Make sure no ponds are running dry.

There's a ton to do - It can be overwhelming in a very bustling, busy place to figure out where you can fit in, but once you can, it may be good to get out of town and gather important resources from the surrounding wild.

#13 2018-03-05 15:29:42

CMH

What's the consensus on how long a child should wait before jumping into a role?

Should it be when the child can eat on their own? Actually, I'm unsure if this child can be breastfed. Can they? And if yes, what's more beneficial? Should the child remain by mother to be breast fed until it reaches a certain age (what's that age?)?

Basically, I never know how long I should remain by a fire before I feel like I'm a burden for just hanging around.

I once had someone feed me like twice and then tell me I was too old for milk. I could still drink breast milk but she was technically right. I was able to eat berries from a nearby bush she showed me. It was the earliest anyone encouraged me to do so.

(I wish I hadn't done something stupid and died of starvation before I learned more about the game from this wise person. Still shake my head at my mistake there).

Last edited by CMH (2018-03-05 15:31:14)

#14 2018-03-05 15:49:57

TyrantNomad

CMH wrote:

What's the consensus on how long a child should wait before jumping into a role?

Should it be when the child can eat on their own? Actually, I'm unsure if this child can be breastfed. Can they? And if yes, what's more beneficial? Should the child remain by mother to be breast fed until it reaches a certain age (what's that age?)?

Basically, I never know how long I should remain by a fire before I feel like I'm a burden for just hanging around.

I once had someone feed me like twice and then tell me I was too old for milk. I could still drink breast milk but she was technically right. I was able to eat berries from a nearby bush she showed me. It was the earliest anyone encouraged me to do so.

(I wish I hadn't done something stupid and died of starvation before I learned more about the game from this wise person. Still shake my head at my mistake there).

If there's a dedicated mom and a slow fire, you should hang around the fire as long as you can.
You can also take short walks close to the fire still just to scout out the village a little and plan what you're gonna do.

#15 2018-03-05 19:36:07

Uncle Gus

Even when you can first feed yourself, you will be overeating unless you wait until you're almost starving, which is risky. It's more efficient for the mother to eat and then feed you. But then you risk having the mother not feed you because she thinks you can feed yourself. I usually take the former risk.

Board footer