One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-05 05:33:19

Taleweaver

A warning regarding self-cannibalization

Hello everyone, as someone who loves this game, I'd like to share with you guys a concern of mine. One Hour One Life is a great game with an amazing concept, and I understand that PvP should be enabled not only so that you may defend your belongings from a possible troll offspring of your own, but also because you might need to exterminate a neighboring tribe due to lack of resources.

Still, there are serious issues when one cannot opt out of PvP.  Imagine for example you are born as an Eve in a thriving Eden, still untouched by the masses. You alone manage to build a carrot farm and maybe even smelt some tools if you're specially knowledgeable in the game.

Then, a random stranger suddenly pops into your screen and the next thing you see is "YOU DIED BY AN ARROW", even before you could invite him to live with you. Or even worse, you get killed by a de-sync'd player who you couldn't even see. Frustation is the only word that could define such a scene. I agree  and support that PvP should still be in the game, but some action MUST be taken in order to not allow it to get out of control. If the servers become flooded with idiots who rush a bow and arrow, this will be another game victim to self-cannibalism, where a game's  own player base preys upon itself, making many people quit it out of frustation.

However, to be honest, I do know what kind  of action should be taken, or if any is even necessary. It could be possible that it never gets flooded  with trolls, or that people simply decide live their lives peacefully, but that is truly unlikely.

I hope Jason remais wary of this possibility. Keeping track of how many people died to arrows, knives and such could be useful. I sincerely wish this game does not end up abandoned due to toxicity.

Last edited by Taleweaver (2018-03-05 05:37:34)

#2 2018-03-05 05:50:52

jord1990

Re: A warning regarding self-cannibalization

Though I can see where your concern comes from and I do share some of it, I think the Developer is active enough in the community to hear about this in time if it is happening. Weapons should definitly be a game to take care of those pesky peope eating your seeding carrots. However where there is a way there is always people willing to ruin it for other people. I guess its a case of time will tell.

I did notice there are allot more weapons readily available and up until today I hadnt been randomly murdered by someone. Today it happened twice though where someone came into the village I was tending to on my own and just shot me with a bow and arrow.

TLDR: I think time will tell, but we should be fine because jason has a close ear towards the community.

#3 2018-03-05 06:13:25

TyrantNomad

I'd like to add that I don't think you can shoot people from offscreen - and that you can actually dodge arrows.
I've had a PvP fight knife vs arrow - the attacking player shot me and the arrow landed on the ground, giving me the upper hand.

So if you are not standing still, you can easily make them waste the arrow and just pick it up yourself, even.

Always be wary when near people with loaded bows or knives in hand - there's a reason you need to manually load the bow every time you drop it.

Last edited by TyrantNomad (2018-03-05 06:13:36)

#4 2018-03-05 14:14:25

Taleweaver

That's great to hear Tyrant. I myself haven't been murdered by another player yet, but I've seen my fellow villagers die when someone invades our lands. I'd be the one who runs away lol.

And yes, only time will tell whether this becomes an issue or not.

Last edited by Taleweaver (2018-03-05 14:16:21)

#5 2018-03-05 16:51:13

Zeromus

I think there just need to be two hits to kill.  That way you know what is about to happen.

First hit puts you in a wounded state, which makes you immune to damage for ~5 seconds, then you change to bleeding state, in which you can be killed.  A bandage item can heal you again, or perhaps you heal auto after a minute?  Or maybe you just die.

Board footer