One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-15 05:42:56

Laskara

Yet another successful genocide, players don't know posse

TL;DR some amount of tutorial for posse and murder is required if absolutely no moderators will be introduced to punish griefing. Non-veteran players have to be taught posse during genocide events and seem convinced cursing will make the baddies go away now instead of just to donkeytown after they actually die(on that one account hmm) which is a sign of some kind of failure somewhere. I was trying to explain posse to someone when she got shot, right after she frantically told me "cursing isn't working!"

These limp, soggy fuckarillos are literally chanting "praise bobo", blathering about "worthiness" and acting like religious terrorists at this point. It's pathetic, they're clearly powertripping off stopping others from having a good time, and nobody can seem to do much about them, which they know. The players have too little information on how to actually get rid of someone and a very difficult time initiating posses and implementing justice.

For now, players who know the posse system should make sure to teach people how to use the posse system every lifetime, regardless of war or peace, to make sure that as many people know it as possible in the event of griefers showing up in a future lifetime.

Last edited by Laskara (2020-05-15 05:48:02)

#2 2020-05-15 06:07:59

Bobo Bill

Re: Yet another successful genocide, players don't know posse

hhmmmm...

Very Interesting.

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”

― Genghis Khan

#3 2020-05-15 06:16:50

Alontae Balasa

Laskara wrote:

TL;DR some amount of tutorial for posse and murder is required if absolutely no moderators will be introduced to punish griefing. Non-veteran players have to be taught posse during genocide events and seem convinced cursing will make the baddies go away now instead of just to donkeytown after they actually die(on that one account hmm) which is a sign of some kind of failure somewhere. I was trying to explain posse to someone when she got shot, right after she frantically told me "cursing isn't working!"

I agree with some amount of tutorial for the killing system, but like the food changes, players will eventually adapt, even if it takes a month or two. Cursing isn't a permanent ban, and multiple accounts can be used to circumvent this.

I ask a lot of questions. Thanks for answering them!

.-.. . .- .-. -. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / - --- / ... .--. . .- -.- / .-- .. - .... / --- - .... . .-. / ..-. .- -- .. .-.. .. . ...

#4 2020-05-15 07:28:28

Blue tinker

Alontae Balasa wrote:

I agree with some amount of tutorial for the killing system, but like the food changes, players will eventually adapt, even if it takes a month or two. Cursing isn't a permanent ban, and multiple accounts can be used to circumvent this.

The food change was not like the posse system - it was intuitive and you didn't need anyone to explain it to you. Food simply now gives less pips, yum chain doesn't break - that's all.

Posse system, though has its roots irl (bigger groups are less likely to be killed, it pays off to be a part of a group) is completely unintuitive - requires you to type some stuff in the chat, also you have to be holding something, the leader must exile the person... I understand that all of this has been made to make griefkilling harder but it didn't manage to do the task. Instead the system keeps getting more and more complex and unintuitive. Yes, it pays off to be a part of a larger whole but that was already in the game - if you get killed, someone will save you and someone will avenge you (unless you're an obvious griefer). We don't need a special mechanic to make it real.

If there were so many kills (as the gamedev showed in another thread) then that means one of three things:
a) There were no pads in town or noone that was not stabbed knew how to heal. Both of which may be easily prevented.
b) The victims were sentenced for griefing. It's not important whether the accusation was true as the game in its concpet tries to give players tools and not to tell them what to do with those tools. Fake accusations happen irl, try to explain that you are not a griefer.
c) The town was raided by an organised group. The old system gave us a chance to protect ourselves but now its pretty much impossible, as many threads about raids show. If the town was raided (which, before posse, had been happening lastly during the war sword period) then that meant that its citizens failed to protect their town and they deserved to die out. And no, protecting the town from raid doesn't require you to be good at pvp, you may build safehouses, before family well updates you could also make colonies.

New to the forum but not the game. Property fence enthusiast.

#5 2020-05-15 07:33:24

fug

Something something use fences, something something you deserve it, yadda yadda game would be borning.

A good idea is to play when children like bobo have to sleep. Better idea would just be not to play until Jason finally figures a good solution to this issue. Best idea would be play a better version of the game lel.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#6 2020-05-15 07:35:00

Karelian

It would be nice addition that shift-clicking person when holding _any_ item would join posse against that person.

#7 2020-05-15 08:15:06

Arcurus

Blue tinker wrote:

The food change was not like the posse system - it was intuitive and you didn't need anyone to explain it to you. Food simply now gives less pips, yum chain doesn't break - that's all.

Posse system, though has its roots irl (bigger groups are less likely to be killed, it pays off to be a part of a group) is completely unintuitive - requires you to type some stuff in the chat, also you have to be holding something, the leader must exile the person... I understand that all of this has been made to make griefkilling harder but it didn't manage to do the task. Instead the system keeps getting more and more complex and unintuitive. Yes, it pays off to be a part of a larger whole but that was already in the game - if you get killed, someone will save you and someone will avenge you (unless you're an obvious griefer). We don't need a special mechanic to make it real.

If there were so many kills (as the gamedev showed in another thread) then that means one of three things:
a) There were no pads in town or noone that was not stabbed knew how to heal. Both of which may be easily prevented.
b) The victims were sentenced for griefing. It's not important whether the accusation was true as the game in its concpet tries to give players tools and not to tell them what to do with those tools. Fake accusations happen irl, try to explain that you are not a griefer.
c) The town was raided by an organised group. The old system gave us a chance to protect ourselves but now its pretty much impossible, as many threads about raids show. If the town was raided (which, before posse, had been happening lastly during the war sword period) then that meant that its citizens failed to protect their town and they deserved to die out. And no, protecting the town from raid doesn't require you to be good at pvp, you may build safehouses, before family well updates you could also make colonies.

fully agree. the old one on cone combat system feels much more intuitive gives more possibilities to fight back,  is less complex allows group fights without the need of extra war logic and seemed to work quite better.

Actually with the current exile system you normally wont need to use posses, since exiling one a one man posse is enough (if you start you posse after, since there is currently a counting bug with exile).

So what you need actually to teach is how to exile and how to start a rebellion against your leader....

sadly, since an exiled one can be killed instantly there is not much time for an rebellion so one evil leader is enough to kill a lot.

So if it stays like this, then i guess the best thing is to always follow your self if you are a mother to break the leadership chain also for next generations and give less power in case a corrupt leader comes...  not ideal...

I see mainly two possibilities
1. Switch back to one and one combat and make slight improvements to that.
improvements could be:
- let one without a weapon run by default away in fear if close to enemies with weapon
- posses could be still used for speeding up attackers, but would not limit fighting (not so sure if its a good feature to have speed up attackers, but since we have now posses we can try it out)
- if you hit one the frist time he says GASP and goes into fear mode if he has no weapon. He can be hit again after 3 seconds. (this would give some time to run away and would behave like giving a second hit point which helps also the majority group)
- allow items like straight wooden sticks and sharp stone to be used as non deadly weapon

Or

2. Improve the current exile system.
- Give some time like 60 sec for an exiled one to organize a rebellion or run away
- To still stop an exiled one to grief in this time he could be limited to age 3 items (only if there are more enemies then allies close to him) and or if you hit him he drops what he holds and cannot pickup stuff for 10 seconds.
- if you are attacked allow to fight back
- if you attack someone you auto exile him (reduces the complexity)
- since the allies / exile system is already limiting who you can attack, extra complexity from posse requirements can be removed from the code / simply count posse members as further allies, therefore posse would be mainly to speed up attackers...

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-05-15 09:11:07)

#8 2020-05-15 08:55:45

Crumpaloo

Not a exaggeration, since the leadership update id say about 250+ people have been killed wrongfully, 150 of those being from bobo and gang. This aint even a matter of organized griefers beating the oblivious majority anymore, literally anyone with half a brain and leadership can exile kill a entire town no problem.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#9 2020-05-15 09:24:56

testo

Just to point out that the problem is still not bobo but the awkward posse and curse mechanic.

For starters, restrict the kill command based on memescore. Lock up the kill command to the top 20% or 30% of players. Oh snap... it is not so easy to kill your own family then since you would be lowering your own memescore. Wait, that would make memescore actually meaningful Mmm...

But we all know that is not going to happen. Afterall domestic boars, pitbulls and bears are in the game for a reason. Have you ever wondered why you can pick the boar piglet and it also goes in a backpack without decay? Mmm...

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#10 2020-05-15 10:15:49

Catfive

Coming from an online background with DEL and being a perma red pk before a lot of players were born the only time pve players were ever an issue was when they could kill back easily. Removing solo kills handed griefing, which in this game is so easy a toddler could do it, a golden bullet to wipe out any tribe whenever it wanted.

Cursing to donkey town does work and i can't explain why here as my evidence would then know information i don't want it to know but our massive new player community doesn't understand it yet. Yes they can then use nother account and you then curse that one out of existence too, repeat as often as needed.

#11 2020-05-15 10:20:53

Arcurus

testo wrote:

Just to point out that the problem is still not bobo but the awkward posse and curse mechanic.

For starters, restrict the kill command based on memescore. Lock up the kill command to the top 20% or 30% of players. Oh snap... it is not so easy to kill your own family then since you would be lowering your own memescore. Wait, that would make memescore actually meaningful Mmm...

But we all know that is not going to happen. Afterall domestic boars, pitbulls and bears are in the game for a reason. Have you ever wondered why you can pick the boar piglet and it also goes in a backpack without decay? Mmm...

lol, if griefing is encouraged, why we then need to have posses to hunt down griefers? Or do we need posse to hunt down people want to stop griefers since griefers could be attacked if they carry a boar piglet in their backpack otherwise?

usign the memescore sounds interesting, we could use it at least for default leadership passing.

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-05-15 10:23:01)

Board footer