One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-09 08:45:43

mrbah

Homesick mechanic, lineage length and the potential for colonies

Hey,
I know Jason mainly implemented homesick mechanics to force us to play in one large village, but honestly, all I could see is how that mechanic could use a loophole, so to say to allow for an easy splitting for a family branch.
The idea is that you can create a new family outside of your family homezone, with some heavy hoops to jump through. Wether or not this would set back lineage food consumption and if yes, by how much (I don't think a colony should have as easy a start as an Eve) is up for discussion, i personally would like the lineage depth for the sake of food efficiency to be halved from what the parent was.
I want this to be sufficiently hard, and possibly luck based. Once you have fulfilled a certain amount of requirements, you are elegible for a daughter, once she reaches adulthood, you and your daughter can get a new name. I am thinking a high distance to other settlements should be one of the requirements, to prevent settling with the help of a nearby village.
I think even if you are born into a village with bad location and infrastructure, that you are certain won't make another ten generations, there should be a slim chance to continue your lineage in a colony, with better infrastructure, maybe your colony can one day surpass your location of origin.
Thoughts?

#2 2020-05-09 09:32:42

Arcurus

Re: Homesick mechanic, lineage length and the potential for colonies

having the ability to have colonies again sounds nice to me. To me migration should always be more favorable then magical eve spawning.

The current mechanics makes it artificially economical not sustainable to form colonies mainly since you will get no new iron

If you ask me, all three mechanics (family iron, homeland limit for new babies (you can here at least create a well site as workaround) and food restrictions for colonies should be removed. I think all three of them are there because of other reasons and have the side effect to stop colonies. Better fix the reasons for them then to make a complicated workaround.

iron could be simply reset like it was before. you have to search for iron mines and then transport it back. To make it hard for old villages, simply not renewing iron with server reset would make it more and more hard for old villages to get irone, since they need to travel more and more far away.
To have more time untill the iron is fully depleted upgraded iron mines through pumping out hindering water could give some extra access to iron, but also this will run out with time. This would be also very much intuitive like the world functions normally without magic new iron.

To the homeland / kids restriction: the goal here was to separate different families from each other to allow trade. I personally see not much difference between allowing to have kids in the same village and to found a next village close bye on the next well (or do they need to be further away). limiting this feels strange, there may be better ways to discourage different families to stay to close to each other, like not allowing to be in the same leadership structure for example.

To the generational food reduction
It may be fine for colonies to be also limited, since they could boost the start with some tools. but there may be better solutions then the current generational food reductions. For example we could increase the amount of starting food like wild vegetables, wild berries, rabbits, different animals drastically, but limit the re-spawn of them stricter. Like for example berries (also watered once) needed double time to get berries again. Also here respawn with sever reset could be limited, which would increase the pressure in a more natural way on old villages.

Also with the iron be depleted naturally, over time this automatically would increase the food difficulty.

To family names, why note simply require to have x followers to be able set your own family name? Doing so will hinter you to be in the same leadership structure like other families.  of course you should be able to rejoin again, if the other family still takes you in.

#3 2020-05-09 10:25:33

Blue tinker

Re: Homesick mechanic, lineage length and the potential for colonies

During the war sword period having colonies was a necessity if you wanted your family to survive raids. I recall when our town was raided some of us ran away and found a small but nice town populated with our family. We survived several more generations.

New to the forum but not the game. Property fence enthusiast.

Board footer