One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-29 17:23:19

Dantox

Reworking family specialization

The purpose of this post is purely imaginitive and to think beyonf of could the family specialization could have been improved. It was kind of fun thinking about this so i might do similar posts about this

Main idea:
Make survival of a village independent to all other races, however to be motivated instead for other goodies that are not really needed for survival but that they grant a good enough convenience to be worth trading.

Big changes:
-Interactions with special biome objects are possible and are no longer blocked by specialziation.
-All races can enter every biome again, however if they are not the specialized race they will have some drawbacks against them.

Jungle: Weak against yellow fever
Desert: Super-high temp and higher drain of food (drain would be minimal)
Arctic: Super-low temp and slowdown
Grasslands: Neutral. no drawbacks here.
Interactions with special biome objects are possible and are no longer blocked by specialziation.

-Specialized families however are rewarded with living in their respective biomes.

GINGERS:
-More resistence to coldness
-Ability to build snow walls, floors and doors.
-Fishing can catch bigger fishes that has 3 uses with higher values of food.
-Lower chance to break the shrimp net.
-Scaring penguins can sometimes leave an egg.
-Higher chance to strike oil

BLACKS:
-Higher resistence to hotness
-Hunger drain is slow when located in desert
-Ability to farm cactuses (Domesticated cactuses can yield 3 fruits at a time, similar to berries since they require constant water)
-Horses tamed by browns are more loyal and they take way longer to run off.
-No longer slow-down by heavy objects
-Can gain more resources via mining (iron)
-Can mine big rocks to produce more flat rocks and round rocks, with some chance of some other minerals

BROWNS:
-Immunity to yellow fever. Can scare mosquitos away with any fire
-Ability to craft Hunting Spears (Cannot kill players, works like an arrow, has only 3 uses) (Craftin: One straight branch, apply one chip flint, add a sharp stone then apply a rope to make the hunting spear) (Once spear is thrown, it need to be grabbed on target)
-Gain more pieces of meat with hunted wild animals (doesnt apply with domesticated ones) (Turkey might be an excepcion to this since there is no more meat to go around)
-Ability to harvest vines from tall trees. 3 vines makes a rope. (No strings)
-Gains slighty more food pips per food.

WHITES:
-Slight resistence to coldness and hotness
-Universal language (Understands all languages)
-Can make bear hat, bear belt and bear coat. (Bear hat has great insulation, bear belt serves as an additional piece of clothing to store one tool and the bear coat works as coat with 2 pockets to store 2 small objects)
-Chopping trees drops 2 logs instead of just 1
-Ability to make the flat top griddle, because i really fucking want an upgrade to hot coals.

k thanks for reading.

make bread, no war

#2 2020-04-30 00:02:18

TheRubyCart

Re: Reworking family specialization

This... This is an amazing plan

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#3 2020-04-30 02:29:40

Cantface

Dantox wrote:

The purpose of this post is purely imaginitive...

:C I wish we could have nice things like this.

Breasticles

#4 2020-04-30 07:06:53

Melea

Cantface wrote:

:C I wish we could have nice things like this.

Right!?

This sounds amazing. I think Jason's mentioned before that he wants lives to feel different. Buffing races for their biomes gives a reason to have new, different flavors of town. Especially if we had biome-appropriate building materials & livestock as well. The only thing like that so far is the snow buildings in the arctic. It'd be so nice to have similar stuff for other biomes.

Jungle biome - thatch or wood-and-thatch huts, and/or more advanced bamboo buildings. Chickens/junglefowl for eggs instead of geese.

Desert biome - wattle-and-daub huts, and/or more advanced adobe or brick buildings. Goats instead of sheep for milk and meat, flax for thread & linen instead of wool and milkweed.

Arctic - already have snow-based buildings, and they're awesome. Reindeer for milk & meat?

I love when I've been a ginger born into an arctic fishing village. Because it's a sorely needed breath of fresh air in a game where lives feel ever more similar as various nerfs restrict gameplay choices.

I enjoyed going off as a young male and scouting out iron resources for the family, but that's not a thing anymore. In a terrible village or murder-opolis I had the option of running off as a young female, living off the wild while I searched for a new and better place, and then raising children as a pseudoEve or revitalizing a dead town. Now with family wells, family iron, homeland fertility...haring off to start viable family outposts is crippled. You can't search around & settle in a spot with many ponds anymore to ensure lot of accessible wells and water for the future. You can't enter or interact with anything in the wrong-colored area anymore. Lately the game feels more restrictive than it does constructive.

It'd be wonderful if future updates made MORE things possible, rather than only LESS.

Last edited by Melea (2020-04-30 07:08:43)

#5 2020-04-30 15:03:34

Dantox

Melea wrote:

This sounds amazing. I think Jason's mentioned before that he wants lives to feel different.

I think this was the main offender when the family specialization was added. It made all families different but not really. mi main focus was to make every family *good* at some thing especific so they can stand out.

Blacks? Good for gathering and mining materials, they might have more minerals than everyone else. You might want them to be hard-labour since no slow-down penalty for heavy objects
Gingers? Fishing masters, they can provide you with more and better sea-food for those yum points You might want them for their yum potential.
Browns? Hunting proffesionals, besides having better rope production than other races. You want them for the frood they can produce.
Whites? Wild card and Clothing Genuises. You might want them for better clothing and exclusive-buildings that they can install.

I think this can open to more opportunities but it would be a matter of how the tech tree could progress. but at this point this is just dreaming outloud and sharing.

make bread, no war

#6 2020-05-01 07:58:46

Blue tinker

I love the idea. Cool buffs instead of unintuitive nerfs. Everyone can do anything they want (as long as they are competent enough), just other races could do it slightly better. Towns can survive on their own but trade would improve the quality of lifes. That sounds amazing on paper.

New to the forum but not the game. Property fence enthusiast.

#7 2020-05-01 09:41:38

The_Anabaptist

And here is where the hope of a player wanting to collaborate with the game developer gets crushed, in 3, 2, 1...

The_Anabaptist

#8 2020-05-01 10:16:27

TheRubyCart

The_Anabaptist wrote:

And here is where the hope of a player wanting to collaborate with the game developer gets crushed, in 3, 2, 1...

stop tryna ruin it

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#9 2020-05-01 13:55:10

Arcurus

Blue tinker wrote:

I love the idea. Cool buffs instead of unintuitive nerfs. Everyone can do anything they want (as long as they are competent enough), just other races could do it slightly better. Towns can survive on their own but trade would improve the quality of lifes. That sounds amazing on paper.

+1

#10 2020-05-01 14:47:08

DestinyCall

TheRubyCart wrote:
The_Anabaptist wrote:

stop tryna ruin it

Don't hate the player.  Hate the game.

I like your idea, Dantox.   I would love to see racial diversity improved to allow for more variety and actual family specializations, instead of the biome restrictions that we have now.   

It would be nice to see villages develop differently due to each races strengths and weaknesses, without being hindered by absolute restrictions.    That would give us the freedom to make cool villages and do anything, if we tried hard enough, yet reward us for focusing more on certain things, depending on our family's special abilities.

That would be really awesome.

Board footer