One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-29 09:37:23

Crumpaloo

Something i Think People are Missing...

Player freedom is universally linked, so any changes made affecting player freedom will affect us all. This is supported and summed up in a response Jason made not long ago:

"It's either hard to kill people, or easy to kill people.

You want it to be hard for griefers to kill people, but easy for good people to kill people.

You can't have it both ways"

HOWEVER, when it comes to restricting player freedom in favor of security from griefers, the only people you are gonna be hurting are the general player-base themselves. Griefers exploit and overcome, and as a result  changes meant to make the experience for the general player-base better by "making it harder to grief" ironically only serve to hamper said experience and in some cases even benefit the griefers themselves, a good example being the posse system. It made players completely defenseless to griefers, while being claimed as a mechanic to do the opposite.

This video proves just as much: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLXAGDrCwKk

As well as this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Akl5ebdBs

Quote from Spoon-wood about the situation:

"The progression of Bobo's videos show exactly why the concept of just trying to progressively change the game to deal with destructive players doesn't work.  Instead of the destructive players stopping their behavior, they can and do become smarter over time, and find even more destructive ways to act destructively. "

In short, there will always be a loophole for griefers to exploit, so corralling player-base in a tight barb wire fence while the ones its meant for are already on the other side of it just seems counter-intuitive and wrong.

Instead of inadvertently punishing the general player-base for something a small minority of players do,  expand the players ability to deal with the situation themselves. Like i said before, game design dictates player behavior, if you give us the right tools, well use them accordingly but so far thats not been the case, otherwise this wouldn't be getting brought up so much...

Last edited by Crumpaloo (2020-04-29 09:54:21)

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#2 2020-04-29 12:49:06

Melea

Re: Something i Think People are Missing...

Crumpaloo wrote:

Instead of inadvertently punishing the general player-base for something a small minority of players do,  expand the players ability to deal with the situation themselves. Like i said before, game design dictates player behavior, if you give us the right tools, well use them accordingly but so far thats not been the case, otherwise this wouldn't be getting brought up so much...

Or...deal with this like every other multiplayer game, and step in to deal with the tiny minority of players who are solely set on ruining the play experience for the majority. Curses, donkey town...those are ways to try and enable the majority playerbase to deal with griefers. But it's a temp fix at best, and not completely effective. And various changes to make it harder to grief can make it harder to play as well, and make for much less intuitive gameplay.

Other multiplayer games have no problem with getting rid of the small handful of truly toxic players (permaban, permanently moved to a different server, etc) to keep game quality and enjoyment high for the majority of their players.

OHOL could implement something like...check out all the players that have ever been sent to donkey town. Take say the 5-10% of those who have been in DT the most/longest compared to their total played time and make it so they can't join BS2. Ever. They can play any other server, and perhaps they autoconnect to a new DT-primary server when logging on so they can all play together easily. But obviously their playstyle is continuously not welcome in the newb/default server, so why keep letting them be there? Drama? You'll only be segregating the worst of the worst, so there'd still be plenty of drama to go around. But perhaps it would cut down on the more concentrated, egregious examples of griefing.

#3 2020-04-29 13:15:54

Crumpaloo

Melea wrote:
Crumpaloo wrote:

Or...deal with this like every other multiplayer game, and step in to deal with the tiny minority of players who are solely set on ruining the play experience for the majority. Curses, donkey town...those are ways to try and enable the majority playerbase to deal with griefers. But it's a temp fix at best, and not completely effective. And various changes to make it harder to grief can make it harder to play as well, and make for much less intuitive gameplay.

Other multiplayer games have no problem with getting rid of the small handful of truly toxic players (permaban, permanently moved to a different server, etc) to keep game quality and enjoyment high for the majority of their players.

OHOL could implement something like...check out all the players that have ever been sent to donkey town. Take say the 5-10% of those who have been in DT the most/longest compared to their total played time and make it so they can't join BS2. Ever. They can play any other server, and perhaps they autoconnect to a new DT-primary server when logging on so they can all play together easily. But obviously their playstyle is continuously not welcome in the newb/default server, so why keep letting them be there? Drama? You'll only be segregating the worst of the worst, so there'd still be plenty of drama to go around. But perhaps it would cut down on the more concentrated, egregious examples of griefing.

There are plenty of ways to grief and not get cursed for it. In-fact the smart ones are the least likely people to be in DT then any other player because they understand what people curse for, where as your average player might do something on accident and get cursed for it because of a miscommunication. Those are the people to get sent to DT, all you do by perma banning people for going into DT is encourage more subtle and harder to detect forms of said griefing. Which doesn't necessarily mean they will have less of a negative impact on the overall playerbase.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#4 2020-04-29 13:22:27

Spoonwood

Melea wrote:

Or...deal with this like every other multiplayer game, and step in to deal with the tiny minority of players who are solely set on ruining the play experience for the majority.

I found it a bit strange to see Crumpaloo quoting me, then saying "in short" with a different conclusion then I had reached.  I had even made the title of the thread "Longstanding Problem: No Bans for Serially Destructive Players".  Nor did Crumpaloo include a link:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9604

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2020-04-29 13:40:31

Crumpaloo

Spoonwood wrote:
Melea wrote:

Or...deal with this like every other multiplayer game, and step in to deal with the tiny minority of players who are solely set on ruining the play experience for the majority.

I found it a bit strange to see Crumpaloo quoting me, then saying "in short" with a different conclusion then I had reached.  I had even made the title of the thread "Longstanding Problem: No Bans for Serially Destructive Players".  Nor did Crumpaloo include a link:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9604

No i took the observation you made which to paraphrase was that no matter how much the game is restricted to combat griefers, it never gets rid of them completely in reference to Bobo which i totally agree with. The part i dont agree with are handing out bans to stop griefing, if your game is being exploited by one griefer, its being exploited by the rest and banning one of them doesn't fix that. Banning all of them is impossible because there isnt a fixed number of them. They cycle in and out of the game on a daily basis. You would be playing ban wack-a-mole till kingdom come and the same mechanics that were being exploited would continue to get exploited by new and different griefers.

Last edited by Crumpaloo (2020-04-29 13:42:28)

#6 2020-04-29 13:54:50

MrGold

This forum post is correct before all of this posse shit people were still able to handle Toxic/Bobos gang.. we don't need theses restrictions we are able to handle our selfs.. we don't need restrictions.

Im Mr.Gold I /hmph

Board footer