One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-20 21:55:46

kutte
Banned

current state of the game

Jason is an asshat we can all agree. but in the current state of the game he did something right

the game is hard, Unforgiven and hate new players, like it was back in the day.

As an harden veteran this is my favorite kind of lifes.

The new players need to understand that an eve camp isnt the fun zone, a big village with all the food and tools in the world is the place for them.

but the vanilla OHOL experiance is in the eve camps. we cant teach them that. it litterly takes 15 min to teach them how to make a fucking fire.

so insted we need to do it the old way "monkey see monkey do" thats how alot of players kept playing back then (1-3 hours tho XD)  but with a little guidance tho :3

jason if i can add something to your awful update its to add so a single person can kill a fucktard like knor that keep putting fences every where i told him like a billion time to stop it. but he didnt stop. but when we all wanted to kill him he kept running around until the fucking end of times. i need my stealth kills jason. do it in a way that you can that i get the "favour" of the town to kill him cause hes a goddamm retard.

also when town only have berries left. and some asshole thought that the fire-bow was best placed super fare away from town. atleast you get a pitty bonus for eating twenty six berry bushes in a row to get full hp mate

best of luck in next life
and be good you goddammit grifers :3

#2 2020-04-20 22:15:13

Spoonwood

Re: current state of the game

kutte wrote:

Jason is an asshat we can all agree. but in the current state of the game he did something right

No, that's not him doing something right... well not for the game to improve or grow.  That's him designing a game against people.  And it's nothing new either to make games so that they are designed against players.

kutte wrote:

The new players need to understand that an eve camp isnt the fun zone, a big village with all the food and tools in the world is the place for them.

No.  Given an Eve camp isn't a fun zone, that's a signal that the game is poorly designed from it's foundations.  Good games encourage players to learn the whole game from the ground up.  A game that doesn't make it's initial states fun, discourages players from understanding it.  Good games work out such that it's enticing to learn every last thing in the game, not to ignore certain parts of it because they come as too harsh or for some other reason.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2020-04-20 22:20:59

kutte
Banned

you only make me mad, so you are doing a good job :3

i dont agree with anything you say but i wlll say this much.

i will not agree or disagree with anything with you said.

its my opinon so take it or leave it. but

atleast i can say fuck you you god damm retard XD

#4 2020-04-20 22:28:53

testo

Quality thread, harden veteran.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#5 2020-04-20 22:30:59

Coconut Fruit

I agree that this game isn't too newbies friendly and I think it should be.

OHOL mobile version is doing it good. They have a recipe book built in game, people can learn things using it.

Here is a random video I just found. A newbie trying to make a pie using this recipe book, you can see how does it work.
https://youtu.be/MMYympeHXGw?t=1784 watch from 29:44.

He didn't click any item in the recipe book there, but all items that you can see in it are clickable, so you could basically check how to make an item from scratch just by reading the recipe book.
I really wish we had the same thing in main OHOL.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#6 2020-04-20 22:38:35

kutte
Banned

to make it noob friendly !everyone! needs to do their best to teach them. and holy fuck do everyone love to meet new players

#7 2020-04-20 22:42:31

fug

I'm on the complete opposite side. I think this game is at its worst when all you do is grind for an hour in the vain hope of keeping things going. The lives where I'm just a workhorse for an hour are the lives where I quit afterwards because I'm neither playing for fun or enjoyment which is what you should be doing when playing a game.

I am by no means a roleplayer but the lives where you connect and work with people are the best imo. Teaching people how to fish and watching a group come together to survive in a small hut area together? That's some good stuff. Killing and feeding sheep for an hour to produce sheep skin bodies, mutton, and straw hats for 40 people? I'll thankfully forget about it like the other dull lives. Lives grinding oil? Absolutely fuck that. The few lives where I taught someone how to do oil and make kerosene? Now those were good times.

I really feel the game would be better if Jason would let up the grip and stop forcing everyone into his specific vision for the game as some sort of starvation simulator.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#8 2020-04-20 22:45:46

kutte
Banned

fuq you need to understand the game changes. we are in a classic "chase" so take it or leave it . but the game is constaonly chaning. i get that you like big fat dicks. but that changes tomorrow. i need you to farm water as much as fucking pussiable cuase our town is dying do you see the picture. or do i need to tell you to get alot water and what not ?. thats the current state of the game

dunno what gay shit you talk about

#9 2020-04-20 22:47:22

kutte
Banned

i fucked up on my part :3

#10 2020-04-20 22:56:22

kutte
Banned

jason you cock loving god. i love this game and i want to see it florish. but you keep fucking up. and no one wanths play it. you did a good job so fare. and i will /salute you for it. there was an old saying in the days jason would fix it. will fix it. i only hope you keep that up. i had my experiance. but the new players dont. dont
make it a game for me. make it a game for them

#11 2020-04-20 23:01:00

kutte
Banned

if you understand i wish the best of luck to the new players cause they are our engine. their are out water. they is the key to everything.

fuck you old players q :3

#12 2020-04-21 00:37:13

WumboJumbo

Coconut Fruit wrote:

OHOL mobile version is doing it good. They have a recipe book built in game, people can learn things using it.

Here is a random video I just found. A newbie trying to make a pie using this recipe book, you can see how does it work.

He didn't click any item in the recipe book there, but all items that you can see in it are clickable, so you could basically check how to make an item from scratch just by reading the recipe book.

People are still mixing up One Hour One Life with You Are Hope?

#13 2020-04-21 02:22:18

Ari-ori-412

WumboJumbo wrote:
Coconut Fruit wrote:

apparently they are

Stop eating berries adults! go eat the pie or stew right next to you.

#14 2020-04-21 03:42:20

Spoonwood

WumboJumbo wrote:
Coconut Fruit wrote:

If you search for OHOL on Twitch, You are Hope videos come up.  I don't blame them.  I don't see a reason why You are Hope videos need a different classification system.  The number of people who stream either in a given week is too small for the difference to warrant Twitch's attention.

Karrots also said this in response to another thread:

Karrots wrote:

Similarly, the "You are Hope" situation is another derivative from not being able to force or prevent pregnancy, and has become a big part of the OHOL community.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … d=9519&p=2

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#15 2020-04-21 08:13:05

LunyTerror

kutte wrote:

As an harden veteran this is my favorite kind of lifes.

but the vanilla OHOL experiance is in the eve camps. we cant teach them that. it litterly takes 15 min to teach them how to make a fucking fire.

so insted we need to do it the old way "monkey see monkey do" thats how alot of players kept playing back then (1-3 hours tho XD)  but with a little guidance tho :3

jason if i can add something to your awful update its to add so a single person can kill a fucktard like knor that keep putting fences every where i told him like a billion time to stop it. but he didnt stop. but when we all wanted to kill him he kept running around until the fucking end of times. i need my stealth kills jason. do it in a way that you can that i get the "favour" of the town to kill him cause hes a goddamm retard.

also when town only have berries left. and some asshole thought that the fire-bow was best placed super fare away from town. atleast you get a pitty bonus for eating twenty six berry bushes in a row to get full hp mate

best of luck in next life
and be good you goddammit grifers :3

I'm gonna say it. The game was way more fun before the sword update and all the restrictions and nerfs. And I know a lot of people agree with me. I miss building long roads that went from village to village. But now I'm stopped by the biome restrictions.

Last edited by LunyTerror (2020-04-21 08:14:40)

I name all my boys Elias and all my girls Eylul. If you get named Elias or Eylul It's me. smile

#16 2020-04-21 09:30:32

The_Anabaptist

fug wrote:

I'm on the complete opposite side. I think this game is at its worst when all you do is grind for an hour in the vain hope of keeping things going. The lives where I'm just a workhorse for an hour are the lives where I quit afterwards because I'm neither playing for fun or enjoyment which is what you should be doing when playing a game.

I am by no means a roleplayer but the lives where you connect and work with people are the best imo. Teaching people how to fish and watching a group come together to survive in a small hut area together? That's some good stuff. Killing and feeding sheep for an hour to produce sheep skin bodies, mutton, and straw hats for 40 people? I'll thankfully forget about it like the other dull lives. Lives grinding oil? Absolutely fuck that. The few lives where I taught someone how to do oil and make kerosene? Now those were good times.

I really feel the game would be better if Jason would let up the grip and stop forcing everyone into his specific vision for the game as some sort of starvation simulator.

I'm kinda with you fug.  Grinding for an hour stinks.  Especially tasks that don't stand the test of time.  Typically farming and cooking fit those bills for me.  Everything created is eaten by locusts in a generation.  I'm most fulfilled building something in a town that I stand a chance of recognizing in a future life.  A building.  A fast road.  Sometimes even just a series of horse hitches by clusters of resources.

I'm not as big on interacting with other players.  Probably because too many of them act in ways that absolutely baffle me, even when I try to explain things to them.  "No.  Taking a full set of clothes & backpack from town as a kid and announcing that you are travelling to the bell, 28k away, is a terrible and frankly selfish idea..."

The_Anabaptist

#17 2020-04-21 10:54:19

Twisted

fug wrote:

This, a hundred times this!

#18 2020-04-21 11:54:18

DrRoy

kutte wrote:

Jason is an asshat we can all agree.

No, I absolutely do not agree to that.
He developed a game that you seem to care about.
Maybe not all of his decisions are good in your perspective.
Maybe you don't like that he trusts himself more than the community.
Maybe you don't like him as a person.

But he is passionate about what he is doing. He puts a lot of work and thoughts into everything. He rarely insults someone
And he is certainly not an asshat.

Game design is hard. I have great respect for this project and the amount of work put into it. It is very hard to create something while people are constantly throwing dirt at you and your work.

#19 2020-04-21 12:08:24

LunyTerror

DrRoy wrote:
kutte wrote:

Jason is an asshat we can all agree.

No, I absolutely do not agree to that.
He developed a game that you seem to care about.
Maybe not all of his decisions are good in your perspective.
Maybe you don't like that he trusts himself more than the community.
Maybe you don't like him as a person.

But he is passionate about what he is doing. He puts a lot of work and thoughts into everything. He rarely insults someone

Game design is hard. I have great respect for this project and the amount of work put into it. It is very hard to create something while people are constantly throwing dirt at you and your work.

Maybe we are the asshats after all...

I name all my boys Elias and all my girls Eylul. If you get named Elias or Eylul It's me. smile

#20 2020-04-21 12:28:16

Dantox

DrRoy wrote:

He puts a lot of work and thoughts into everything. He rarely insults someone

People are calling him an asshat for his pride and stubbornness in the past (remember when he lectured us about being quiet unless there was a problem, since it was his game and he was clearly always right because of his 15 years of game design experience?) and his constant rejection of reasonable feedback and complaints about the current state of the game. ("If you get raided it is your fault, my system is perfect and you players just didnt take precautions!")

Yeah, he might not be a bad person, but as a developer his actions in this past year do not speak good for him. Someone who really cares about this game it is really heartbreaking how it is slowly degrating because of meta changes.

Everyone warned him about the swords and the rift and he didnt want to listen, saying that they would work and be perfect in the future; And now look, they are virtually removed in the game. No wonder some people are calling him that.

Last edited by Dantox (2020-04-21 12:31:34)

make bread, no war

Board footer