One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-17 20:30:31

testo

Well Tessellation is a form of protest.

I read fug saying somewhere that Jason never listens unless you break something.

Jason, please take Well Tessellation as my way to protest: We need more and new content.

To the affected Eves that became collateral damage: my most sincere apologies.

geogebra-export-1.png

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#2 2020-04-17 20:51:46

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Well Tessellation is a form of protest.

This has been fixed in the update that will roll out in about an hour.

I'm not kidding.

#3 2020-04-17 20:56:49

testo

That is why I´m revealing myself as a protester.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#4 2020-04-17 21:02:13

tobiasisahawk

Lol, it's hilarious that Bobo released his amateur-hour griefing video while this was going on.  Its like a OHOL Mozart/Salieri showing genius vs incompetence.

#5 2020-04-17 21:07:26

jasonrohrer
Administrator

FYI, this is a jackass way to report a bug.

Just report the bug and leave it at that.

#6 2020-04-17 21:12:46

testo

jasonrohrer wrote:

I don´t care about reporting it, maybe you missed my opening post and the thread title.

- Jack Ass

#7 2020-04-17 21:16:04

Morti

testo wrote:

I read fug saying somewhere that Jason never listens unless you break something.

Jason, please take Well Tessellation as my way to protest: We need more and new content.

To the affected Eves that became collateral damage: my most sincere apologies.

https://i.ibb.co/z7WxRs4/geogebra-export-1.png

All that work should have lead to a good result; more water for everyone, it should have had no bearing on the iron.

It was dumb to tie those two mechanics. Even worse to tie reproduction into them.
Jason is an easy fool, he doesn't even know his own world well enough anymore. He's let so many changes, stem from other people's actions, that his whole forest, is now choking with their vines.

Time to get back on your own track, if the track ever existed to begin with.

Unless, this is your track? The butter knives, the swords, all these potential exploits, so casually overlooked, from patch to patch, month to month, I have to wonder, was there any game plan to begin with? Or has it just become pitting people against each other, for your own, petty, personal, amusement?

Clearly this is a pattern, with Jason. It has been a concern that many people have brought up, over the years.
People who set the stage for this game and have since walked off it, because the director, is an idiot.

I am searching for a reason, to use the word disillusion.
But maybe that's all there is to this.
No poetic way to put it.
Just, disillusion.

Not so much in the game, but in Jason himself.
Still, this game has brought a lot of good people together.
A lot of thoughts, from a lot of minds.
It has been pleasant, to have been, a mind among all of you.

--

Very nice work on that image, testo.

#8 2020-04-17 21:27:17

fug

Hah, so you're the one who made all the Eve lives hell. I just assumed a bunch of bad players were Eve leading to the current situation.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#9 2020-04-17 21:40:53

Crumpaloo

Could you describe the picture? Is this something about how people cant get iron if you put a well down?

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#10 2020-04-17 21:56:08

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Oh please, as if you're not the one who first promised a hundred new craftable objects every week, and still promises dozens of new craftable objects every week.  You also wanted a game about civilization building, didn't you?  Well, protesting has been part of that.

Also, less iron isn't something which leads to more civilization building.  And as others have pointed out before, that this game has something which can accurately get called 'civilization building' is rather questionable to begin with.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#11 2020-04-17 22:01:35

Spoonwood

Morti wrote:

All that work should have lead to a good result; more water for everyone, it should have had no bearing on the iron.

Well, yes... and something more to do with that water preferably also.  Like some form of technology.

Morti wrote:

It was dumb to tie those two mechanics. Even worse to tie reproduction into them.
Jason is an easy fool, he doesn't even know his own world well enough anymore. He's let so many changes, stem from other people's actions, that his whole forest, is now choking with their vines.

I don't think his changes in general stem from other people's actions, but otherwise I think I agree.

Morti wrote:

Time to get back on your own track, if the track ever existed to begin with.
Unless, this is your track? The butter knives, the swords, all these potential exploits, so casually overlooked, from patch to patch, month to month, I have to wonder, was there any game plan to begin with? Or has it just become pitting people against each other, for your own, petty, personal, amusement?

Clearly this is a pattern, with Jason. It has been a concern that many people have brought up, over the years.
People who set the stage for this game and have since walked off it, because the director, is an idiot.

I am searching for a reason, to use the word disillusion.
But maybe that's all there is to this.
No poetic way to put it.
Just, disillusion.

Yep.

Morti wrote:

Not so much in the game, but in Jason himself.
Still, this game has brought a lot of good people together.
A lot of thoughts, from a lot of minds.
It has been pleasant, to have been, a mind among all of you.

That almost sounds like a goodbye.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2020-04-17 22:05:24

tobiasisahawk

Morti wrote:

Jason is an easy fool, he doesn't even know his own world well enough anymore.

Morti wrote:

Or has it just become pitting people against each other, for your own, petty, personal, amusement?

Morti, Maybe what's happening is Jason is trying to develop a great game and when he comes to the forum to get feedback he just sees a bunch of personal insults.  Comment on the content, not the creator.  If you don't like X, give reasons why you don't like X.  If you say "I don't like X, Jason created it because he's [insert insult here]" he's obviously not going to listen to your feedback.  I've read your posts, Morti, I've seen what you've built in world.  it's clear that you really love this game.  Now think about the fact that this has been Jason's primary focus for years.  He clearly loves this game, too.  If you look at his recent changes, he's reworking core systems of the game.  He's not some end of cycle dev just throwing in some new hats before he halts development.  He is actively trying to rebalance the game.  This is a huge opportunity for us as a community.  If we can come together now to give Jason respectful feedback about how the game world is playing out he'll be able to fix things much faster.

#13 2020-04-17 22:29:01

Spoonwood

tobiasisahawk wrote:

Comment on the content, not the creator.

It's rather shallow.  Or in other words, it sucks. 

1. There's no fatherhood.

2. There's no baby sling.

3. Birth control in this game is a joke.

4. Players can't do much to choose their initial conditions.

5. The game is monotonous.  It's environment is rather mono-tone, and it isn't like any of the other servers differ with respect to environmental conditions.

6. Serial bad actors aren't dealt with adequately.

7. There's no way to bless someone/recognize a player you've found valuable/interesting in previous lives if you play with them again.

8. Civilization building remains rather weak in scope.

9. Parenting remains rather weak in scope.

10. Buildings take up too much spaces for houses to come into existence.

11. The frequency of players starting as a baby is also too high.

And much more!  Many of the above though, such as 4., result from the game designer, and seem 'hardwired'.  People have tried to talk about many of the deficiencies before and more or less, the game designer tells us that the above are strengths of the game, when they are problems.  Such denial of longstanding problems comes as one reason why it seems that such "devolves" into personal insult.  But, some others might say that, what happens when that happens is character analysis.

tobiasisahawk wrote:

If you say "I don't like X, Jason created it because he's [insert insult here]" he's obviously not going to listen to your feedback.

I think you've assumed that he will listen to feedback.  He doesn't though.  He tries to argue against serious feedback, at least in certain instances.  Also, why aren't you chiding Jason for engaging in personal insult?  You did chide Morti after all.

tobiasisahawk wrote:

Now think about the fact that this has been Jason's primary focus for years.  He clearly loves this game, too.

Jason hasn't played this game like Morti has ever.  So, no, it's not clear that he loves this game.  Reworking core systems also symbolizes dislike with the *core* of the game.

tobiasisahawk wrote:

If we can come together now to give Jason respectful feedback about how the game world is playing out he'll be able to fix things much faster.

The changes he's been making still don't address a massive number of core problems with the game.  And many of the change he's made lately do NOT tend in the direction of a game more compatible with *parenting*.  After all, if players don't feed their children for valid in game reasons, well, where is the parenting?  And seriously, less resources, is compatible with more *civilization building* how?  People simply can't build more with less resources.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-04-17 22:34:06)

Danish Clinch.

#14 2020-04-17 22:44:04

testo

Crumpaloo wrote:

Could you describe the picture? Is this something about how people cant get iron if you put a well down?

Yeah, wells dry off every other surrounding well up to 160 tiles on each direction

Iron comes from the same well locations but in badlands locations. (Springs, Iron and Oil are all fixed in a 40x40 grid on the map). Muddy Iron only changes into a vein if it is east or west of the first well location of a family.

By covering the map completely with well placed wells I dried all the other existing wells, thus making impossible to the new Eves to change the muddy veins and get iron.

You had to run past the colored area to set a well location. The Black dot at north is an Eve that did it. Yesterday Eve Search went 1k north and they were one of the two big families. The other Eve that made it was the Snowdy Brown family. The went about 1700 south (you can´t see it on the map).

At some point I was thinking of triggering the apoc too (green dots are the Nosaj locations).

- Jack Ass

#15 2020-04-17 23:19:27

testo

Also Kuddos to tobias for figuring out there was some rationale behind the layering of the wells while everyone else run around in circles asking for iron.

- Jack Ass

#16 2020-04-19 17:00:47

Glassius

Exploiting game flaws seems as the best bug report. Congrats testo smile The respond to my bug report about grind in clothing technology was: grind here is good.

Board footer