One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2018-04-19 14:15:59

Kinrany

Re: Deciding who has a baby

Another option: you always spawn as your own successor. If you don't have any, you spawn as Eve.

#52 2018-04-19 19:53:11

NyanRose

I think it would be cool if you could have a way to urge certain genders. I know with alligators temperature affects it. Extremely hot or cold makes males, and moderate temperatures make females. Or if there was something you could eat to determine it. Too often villages die out because the only woman only has males.

#53 2018-04-19 19:54:15

NyanRose

Kinrany wrote:

Another option: you always spawn as your own successor. If you don't have any, you spawn as Eve.

I like this idea, but I think it's better if it's a button like either 'be reborn' or 'be reborn as descendant' if that option is available. In case someone is tired of a village.

#54 2018-04-20 00:43:08

AstroTitan

AstroTitan wrote:

"fertility" = (EveFactor)*(RecentChild)*(AgeFactor)*(MalesFactor)*(FoodFactor)*(TempFactor)*(HomeFactor) = (0~1)*(0~1)*(0~1)*(0~1)*(0~1)*(0~1)*(0~1)  =  0~1

jasonrohrer wrote:

I don't think it needs to be too complicated.

I agree. I was trying to conceptually show how a very complex determination, involving many factors, could be made using very simple formulas. I would expect that any implementation would be far more simple. I still think at least three factors are important: temperature, local male population, and time between births for same mom. This math structure is extremely easy to append in the future, so if additional factors need to be accounted for just add them(well...multiply) without needing to rewrite the whole thing.

Joriom wrote:

Please remember that not everything needs to have "full effect" on everything else.
I've seen someone propose "simple" calculation like:  FactorA * FactorB * FactorC * etc... where all the factors are btween 0.0 and 1.0
Thats a good idea just needs a small tweaking.
Lets say "FactorD" is having male around. Instead of making it a value between 0.0 and 1.0 make it between 0.9 and 1.0 - and make it on something like logarythmic scale - the more males around the closer to 1.0. This way it still has some degree of effect but most of the time its hardly noticable.

That was entirely my point. I was simply showing the max range possible in the equation. Ideally all of these factors would logarithmic in nature. In theory all of those factors could be set to vary between 0.99 and 1.0. The result would be indistinguishable from the completely random system now. However; by changing the outputs of each factor's equations, you can modify independently how each impacts the whole. This allows for easy balancing going forward. If the highest "fertility" on the server gets the baby, does it matter if your highest value is 0.99 or 0.00000021? No, because it is still the highest.

Joriom wrote:

"male detection" range could be just high enough that males can "impregnate" from offscreen so... Having male becomes kind of "passive trait" of villages rather than "come honey" event.

I completely agree.

Morti wrote:

Jason, we don't know each other, but I like you. I like this game. I like your attitude, and I don't want to change you too much. Never lose sight of that 10,000-ft view, whatever it is.

I couldn't say it any better! Jason, it is truly amazing that a single person was able to conceptualize so many deep truths about the human condition; then somehow manage to hard code the basic framework of a relatively simple game, not to explain those truths in any way, but to let you discover them along the way. Truly astonishing work, sir. I simply wish to give the artist some new paintbrushes; hoping he will create a masterpiece for me to enjoy.

#55 2018-04-20 03:18:12

Baker

I'm all for nearby males giving a passive increase in fertility as long a male can't bomb women with tons of kids. Would be pretty cool if the closest male to a baby when it's born would become the babies father (As long as the male was old enough, wouldn't want a random kid to become a father.).

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#56 2018-04-20 09:17:57

PeyoteCoyote

jasonrohrer wrote:

This should NOT be a game about mating and consent and all that nonsense---if you don't want to have a baby and some griefer male keeps following you around anyway, and then you have a baby against your will, what just happened?  All that emotional baggage from the real world.  That is not the point of this game, and it would distract from the 10,000-ft view of the human situation that I'm trying to construct here.  I don't want to spawn Even and Adam together and then have Adam chasing Eve around while spam-chatting, "Come closer, honey."

Just wanted to chime in on consent. As long as 'full' females are more likely to have babies than 'hungry' ones (I deliberately stay hungry as a contraceptive) there's nothing stopping a 'griever male' or anyone else, from forcing phallic carrots into my face until a baby appears...."come closer honey."

Not saying it should change, obviously, it's a good mechanic. Just wanted to point out that food rape is a viable way to make babies if your town female is staying hungry because she selfishly wants to smith in peace.

#57 2018-04-22 13:28:44

Kitaelia

PeyoteCoyote wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

This should NOT be a game about mating and consent and all that nonsense---if you don't want to have a baby and some griefer male keeps following you around anyway, and then you have a baby against your will, what just happened?  All that emotional baggage from the real world.  That is not the point of this game, and it would distract from the 10,000-ft view of the human situation that I'm trying to construct here.  I don't want to spawn Even and Adam together and then have Adam chasing Eve around while spam-chatting, "Come closer, honey."

Just wanted to chime in on consent. As long as 'full' females are more likely to have babies than 'hungry' ones (I deliberately stay hungry as a contraceptive) there's nothing stopping a 'griever male' or anyone else, from forcing phallic carrots into my face until a baby appears...."come closer honey."

Not saying it should change, obviously, it's a good mechanic. Just wanted to point out that food rape is a viable way to make babies if your town female is staying hungry because she selfishly wants to smith in peace.

This couldn't be more true!

I am liking the temperature change that was recently added. I'm glad we're giving it a try! Now the wet nurse caring for the babies at the warm spot is much more likely to be a producing mother for the village, meaning she doesn't have to interrupt what she's already doing, because she's already caring for babies!

Baker wrote:

I'm all for nearby males giving a passive increase in fertility as long a male can't bomb women with tons of kids. Would be pretty cool if the closest male to a baby when it's born would become the babies father (As long as the male was old enough, wouldn't want a random kid to become a father.).

I would also love to see "Father" on the family tree somehow. I really like the idea of male proximity bubble playing some kind of factor in fertility rate.

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

Board footer