One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-15 23:51:23

Crumpaloo

Property Fences

Players whether on purpose or not will interfere with actions that would otherwise help a village, that is a fact that will never change. There are at-least 20 examples i could think off the top of my head but most of you will already know some. Intentions clash on a second by second basis, and sometimes the only way to prevent such things is from separating yourself entirely from the people causing the problems.

Example, i saw a post with a picture of a pile of carrots with a property fence built around it. The person in question stated he/she had made it to prevent players from eating carrots meant for compost/sheep. That being said its obvious that complete access to any and all resources is not viable. If you as a player knows what you need to do to ensure your village thrives, and that you are being hindered along the way, wouldnt it make sense to isolate yourself so you can work faster with 0 interruptions?

Not saying you should hog the villages resources to continue your work unimpeded, if you are gonna be doing this, you need to be more self-reliant, as in make your own compost, or borrow tools and give them back after use, or your own transportation, etc.. If all you're doing is taking from the village people arent gonna like you and in fact im not gonna like you.

If people are gonna be cool with this you need to show them its a good thing, that means giving back to the village constantly with whatever you are doing, whether that be a milk from a personal cow farm, or carrot and berry bowls from your safety storage.

TL:DR: Work being hindered by players is a fact of the game, so isolating yourself when necessary can prove more effeceint then just waiting for someone to throw another firewood on your turkey broth fire. So long as you can for the most part remain self reliant and give back to your village in a good way.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#2 2020-04-16 00:36:12

DestinyCall

Re: Property Fences

An example of helpful isolation (which is not a good as it once was due to various nerfs) is the solitary milkweed farm.    Find a spot within a reasonable walking distance of the village that has natural dirt and ponds.    Set-up a farming area and plant a lot of milkweed.   You will need a bowl or two and a hoe (or skewers).   If you have a steel hoe, consider using single scoop soil to get the most out of your dirt.   If you have a lot of dirt or limited tool availability, use three scoops to stretch your tools further.   When you have as much milkweed as you need, plant more seeds and leave the farm for the next person.

Since it is outside of town, you won't be bother much while working the farm, but other explorers will stumble upon it eventually, and should be able to appreciate the value of a dedicated milkweed farm.   You can leave some of the seed unwatered to encourage people to tend the farm, instead of just harvesting.

#3 2020-04-16 02:00:44

Crumpaloo

DestinyCall wrote:

An example of helpful isolation (which is not a good as it once was due to various nerfs) is the solitary milkweed farm.    Find a spot within a reasonable walking distance of the village that has natural dirt and ponds.    Set-up a farming area and plant a lot of milkweed.   You will need a bowl or two and a hoe (or skewers).   If you have a steel hoe, consider using single scoop soil to get the most out of your dirt.   If you have a lot of dirt or limited tool availability, use three scoops to stretch your tools further.   When you have as much milkweed as you need, plant more seeds and leave the farm for the next person.

Since it is outside of town, you won't be bother much while working the farm, but other explorers will stumble upon it eventually, and should be able to appreciate the value of a dedicated milkweed farm.   You can leave some of the seed unwatered to encourage people to tend the farm, instead of just harvesting.

Thats a big part about working with 10 other people, everyones got conflicting interests, the composter wants to make compost, the tailor wants to make clothes, and the cheif wants to make food, if you just had one person doing Shepard and organizing the wool, poop, and meat in 3 boxes on the side of the sheep pen, everyone would love it and the amount of work that would get done would go up. It only really gets bad when the person dies or hands it off to someone who doesnt know what their doing.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#4 2020-04-16 03:35:55

DestinyCall

Yeah, I think that lack of visible professions or a "job board" is a major gap in the game currently.   

There is no system for notifying or clearly communicating to other people that you are doing a particular job or that a particular job is NOT being done, except for the inevitable shortages and supply chain breaks that happen when an important task is neglected for too long.   Unless you need a rope, you might not even notice there is no milkweed being farmed.   Unless you want to milk a cow, you might not notice there is only one bucket in the whole town.    Unless you need to do almost anything, you might not notice the lack of empty bowls.   Once you notice the shortage, you can fix it and go back to what you were doing before you got distracted.  Unless you notice another shortage that needs to be fixed too. 

It would be even better if we had more people coordinating their work so each person can focus on a particular task and be more productive overall.   It would also reduce conflicts, since the farmer and the shepherd and the baker could work together to make lots of pies.

#5 2020-04-16 14:05:47

miskas

was this the carrot fence you saw ? https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9459

or other people do that now as well?

Last edited by miskas (2020-04-16 14:06:07)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#6 2020-04-16 16:13:53

AmberA

The other day I wanted to make burritos so I gathered prepped all my supplies but people starting taking them so I just moved my work space further off screen just outside of town and I was able to work in peace. No property fence needed.

The only time I use a property fence is to make a revenge grave. If there is someone in town who caused so much drama and grief especially if their child blindly supports the griefer parent and the griefer parent asks to be buried.  When they die I'll use a fence.

So I take the griefer's bones, place a scoop of poop in front of it and fence it off without a door, wait till the fence is unbreakable then go show it to the griefer's supportive kid...and kackle with revengeful glee in my old age.

#7 2020-04-16 16:18:53

DestinyCall

That's the best use of a property fence I have seen so far, AmberA.

#8 2020-04-17 12:24:42

Tipy

DestinyCall wrote:

I used to do this, was pretty fun

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

Board footer