One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-18 10:41:20

Roolstar

Simple suggestion to implement for murder griefing

<< You kill a person, someone has to feed you once before you can eat on your own again >>

Allow me to elaborate:

I'm not for disabling killing people. I get Jason's reasoning behind it and support it in principle.

I am not a Minecraft player for that reason, and that's what makes OHOL attractive to me. People make their own choices, and society has to find a way to deal with it.

But killing is simply too easy as it is currently. Kill someone and keep moving and nothing can hit you. It takes much more for citizens to deal with it than it does for the killer to keep on killing. Not very realistic imo.

And any solutions like being able to hit a moving player or something of the sort is a double edge sword, and peaceful citizens become even more defenseless because of it.

However needing someone to feed you after makes things interesting: (and more realistic)
- If you are a guard who's doing his/her job, citizens feed you. (Similar to armed forces and cops irl, with the support of the community)
- Make a mistake and shoot someone accidentally, someone "vouches" for you and feeds you. (game mechanics are tricky with a weapon in hand)
- Want to be a killer, convince someone to assist you and start your killing spree.

My reasoning is that if society needs to organize itself to counter crime, at least crime has to be organized with a bit of effort put into it instead of just a bored player spending his last 15 mn on a killing spree before calling it a day and logging out, leaving a frustrated generation behind to pick up the pieces.

Not sure if someone else suggested that somewhere online, and if they did I second that.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by Roolstar (2018-04-18 20:37:34)

God is still learning to use His powers; and just like with any other mortal, it's gonna require both mistakes and time.

Only to eventually discover He did not create the world he always wanted, but the world he was forced to create.

#2 2018-04-18 17:10:24

Lexyvil

Re: Simple suggestion to implement for murder griefing

Not a bad suggestion. I actually enjoy the current (updated) mechanic of killing in the game. It makes guards more probable to survey the village they're in, though it can be heavy on food (being fully clothed is essential, I find). Note that it's always best to have a backpack when guarding a city.

As a farmer or pie maker, I try to ensure the guard (or guards) is well fed, and if I'm the guard himself, I make sure to patrol only around the vicinity of the town so I can still contribute without hindering or wasting the population's effort.

What's important though is how murder griefing is now a lot less of a problem than environmental griefing, which I'd say is the equivalent of real life vandalism.

#3 2018-04-18 18:12:31

JuggleGeek

I really like your idea Roolstar. Were it implemented, murders would need to be much more calculated and coordinated instead of the random griefings they are today.

We have that famous murder problem where we can't easily determine who's evil and who's just a guard, and the community support this system would require more or less solves that.

Through the ups and downs, remember you're participating in something grand.

#4 2018-04-18 21:17:07

Roolstar

JuggleGeek wrote:

I really like your idea Roolstar. Were it implemented, murders would need to be much more calculated and coordinated instead of the random griefings they are today.

We have that famous murder problem where we can't easily determine who's evil and who's just a guard, and the community support this system would require more or less solves that.

Exactly

God is still learning to use His powers; and just like with any other mortal, it's gonna require both mistakes and time.

Only to eventually discover He did not create the world he always wanted, but the world he was forced to create.

#5 2018-04-18 21:25:10

Verinon1

I like this idea.

#6 2018-04-19 00:42:08

Sakkiyn

Except they can work in pairs as well. One kills, one feeds. Unless the same person cannot feed you a second time. Or if you commit another killing after the first "feeding" you will need to be fed by two separate players, and so on.

#7 2018-04-19 01:32:37

Roolstar

Sakkiyn wrote:

Except they can work in pairs as well. One kills, one feeds. Unless the same person cannot feed you a second time. Or if you commit another killing after the first "feeding" you will need to be fed by two separate players, and so on.

No, one feeder is enough.

Remember that the objective is not to completely stop killing by design. (Otherwise disabling killing players would've been the best idea)

If you can convince someone to be your partner in crime so be it. Guards will either have to stop the killer or his accomplice(s), the feeder.

Since society needs some effort and organization to fight crime, at least make the crime require some as well.

And if you plan on spawning in the same village as you partner, well at least you're gonna have to put time and effort into it.

#8 2018-04-19 04:52:11

Artarda

Only flaw I see is that, say we have Joe the farmer tending to his beautiful berry bushes, when Nameless the griefer decides to start shoveling the bushes. Joe grabs the nearby bow and arrow and shoots Nameless, incurring the murder penalty. Now Joe has the murder slow, a bloody bow, and needs to find another person, then he needs to explain that he killed the griefer, and can't eat until he finds help. Though the idea is good, I feel like it does have the ability to punish the good guy, but no system is perfect.

It would seem to ruin both parties involved in a one versus one situation combat situation, but perhaps this could promote doing jobs with a group to help keep safe. After all, its a game about community. I like the idea, but it does have that unrealistic aspect: In reality, someone can stab another person and feed themselves later, so it has a rather "gamey" feel to it.

#9 2018-04-19 06:31:04

Ferraus

I like this idea very much. Killing is important to the game and I really like how players have to develop a society to deal with things. We already have a culture of norms and taboos beginning. Top row seeding and wild carrot uprooting and so on.

Roolstar's idea is good because it adds more player interaction which is what the game needs. So far they are only a few ways that players can interact mechanically. Picking up, Feeding, Killing and Breastfeeding.  Being able to help your family after a fight and tend to their wounds by feeding them makes for an interesting story.

Now for my 2 cents. Its a sad fact but all laws at the end of the day are based on violence or the threat of violence. Even in our civilized society, if you don't pay your taxes your forced into jail. Currently, the only way to exert force on an adult player is with death. Its very binary. I feel there should be degrees of force we can inflict. Taking/snatching, Blocking, Pulling/dragging, tying down/imprisoning ect...

Keep in mind what can be done to stop greifing can be done to inflict it. To counter this problem we can assume that the majority of players are not griefers. Also, most humans would be of equal strength and in a one on one struggle would not be able to over power each other. However, in a two on one situation the majority could inflict its will on the other. For example if both players had knifes then they could not kill each other. But if two attack one the the latter would lose. The same if you wish to tie up or imprison some one, on your own you could not do it but with two people you could.

I'm not sure how it could be fitted into the interface. Perhaps you could change your stance from normal to aggressive, murderous, belligerent ect... each one would change how you interact with players.

#10 2018-04-19 07:28:27

Roolstar

Artarda wrote:

Only flaw I see is that, say we have Joe the farmer tending to his beautiful berry bushes, when Nameless the griefer decides to start shoveling the bushes. Joe grabs the nearby bow and arrow and shoots Nameless, incurring the murder penalty. Now Joe has the murder slow, a bloody bow, and needs to find another person, then he needs to explain that he killed the griefer, and can't eat until he finds help. Though the idea is good, I feel like it does have the ability to punish the good guy, but no system is perfect.

It would seem to ruin both parties involved in a one versus one situation combat situation, but perhaps this could promote doing jobs with a group to help keep safe. After all, its a game about community. I like the idea, but it does have that unrealistic aspect: In reality, someone can stab another person and feed themselves later, so it has a rather "gamey" feel to it.

Murder irl is tricky as well, especially with no witnesses. I wouldn't call that a flaw.

It may in fact make relationship building more of a priority (a good thing imo)

Let me put it that way, I'd rather have those kind of stories:
"To my family who didn't believe me, I forgive you; my story was too hard to believe. But I die knowing I protected our stocks, and if I had to do it again, I would. Love you all..."
Or
"This stupid griefer thought he could turn my own mom against me...."
Or
"We had a trigger happy guard who killed every person who touched the seed row. So after his third kill, we made him surrender his weapon if he wanted to be saved. He had a dishonorable discharge and a wiser guard took charge. He learned that new players are playing this game and that his job is not to clean up the colony of n00bs like he kept saying"
Or even
"I committed the perfect crime: I spend many years farming until they trusted me, then...."

Any of those stories is better than "This kid with a knife started killing everybody, and we couldn't find the bow..." or "I was typing when he took out his knife and stabbed me then typed XD..."

And the cool thing is that while killing ONE player and getting away with it might still be possible (a good thing imo), killing a whole colony is very unlikely; unless you are dealing with a brilliant criminal mind whose story I'd very much like to read. And in that case, it becomes more than griefing, it becomes a real experience to share and learn from.

Last edited by Roolstar (2018-04-19 07:49:45)

#11 2018-04-19 07:40:16

Roolstar

Ferraus wrote:

Now for my 2 cents. Its a sad fact but all laws at the end of the day are based on violence or the threat of violence. Even in our civilized society, if you don't pay your taxes your forced into jail. Currently, the only way to exert force on an adult player is with death. Its very binary. I feel there should be degrees of force we can inflict. Taking/snatching, Blocking, Pulling/dragging, tying down/imprisoning ect...

Keep in mind what can be done to stop greifing can be done to inflict it.

I agree with your reasoning but I worry about those mechanics being used as griefing: kidnapping, false imprisonment, or even creating a whole colony of slaves by a tyrant and his armed guards over discord.

I'd rather be left to die because no one believed me than to see myself "tortured" with a prolonged sentence for a crime that I did not commit. That would make it really hard to forgive that community, and even to trust another one in the future. In some cases it may even create "revenge griefers".

#12 2018-04-19 09:04:16

Ferraus

The bar for stopping griefing can not be set at a group of dedicated players over discord. If that is the case even your suggestions would not be helpful. As you said yourself.

Roolstar wrote:

Remember that the objective is not to completely stop killing by design. (Otherwise disabling killing players would've been the best idea)

If you can convince someone to be your partner in crime so be it. Guards will either have to stop the killer or his accomplice(s), the feeder.

Since society needs some effort and organization to fight crime, at least make the crime require some as well.

And if you plan on spawning in the same village as you partner, well at least you're gonna have to put time and effort into it.

In the dystopian world you created at least you could stave yourself or restart the game in a new place.

#13 2018-04-19 09:07:12

Roolstar

Ferraus wrote:

The bar for stopping griefing can not be set at a group of dedicated players over discord. If that is the case even your suggestions would not be helpful. As you said yourself.

Roolstar wrote:

In the dystopian world you created at least you could stave yourself or restart the game in a new place.

Agreed

#14 2018-04-19 09:26:41

TrustyWay

This completly kill the kill system. You can kill slowed murderers easily, you just have to aim, I never miss a slowed murderer you need to practice. Game developper said murders are 2% of the total deaths in the game.

Killing has been very nerfed : before there were no blood on body and knife, there were no wounds so nobody knew anything. You were no scream, so you were a ninja out of screen. The cool down was more shorter and you were faster. Now every murders around town can be spotted. Doing a kill murder is hard.

Murders can be solved easily and if you don't have weapon, flee away and start new camp or make bow. Don t just stay around waiting to be killed. Community developpement is part of the game, Jason want us to solve by ourselves our problems. Stop being passive buddies.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-04-19 09:28:52)

#15 2018-04-19 10:28:37

Roolstar

TrustyWay wrote:

This completly kill the kill system. You can kill slowed murderers easily, you just have to aim, I never miss a slowed murderer you need to practice. Game developper said murders are 2% of the total deaths in the game.

Killing has been very nerfed : before there were no blood on body and knife, there were no wounds so nobody knew anything. You were no scream, so you were a ninja out of screen. The cool down was more shorter and you were faster. Now every murders around town can be spotted. Doing a kill murder is hard.

Murders can be solved easily and if you don't have weapon, flee away and start new camp or make bow. Don t just stay around waiting to be killed. Community developpement is part of the game, Jason want us to solve by ourselves our problems. Stop being passive buddies.

Yeah right

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=884

I rest my case

Board footer