One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-04 17:28:19

TyrantNomad

THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE [T-O-K]

DE TRI OF KNOLEJ (sav som karacters for yungr folk)

We should probably centralize knowledge in a single thread, I'm suggesting that this be it.

Babbies can easily tell people that they share this knowledge by typing "T - O - K"

LAWS OF THE LAND (by order of importance)
THE FOUR LAWS by brianj
  1. FRUITING MILKWEED IS FOR PICKING, other milkweed is for leaving.
    If you pick FRUITING MILKWEED, not only can you get seeds - but it will also regrow.

2. DON'T EMPTY THE PONDS, add water back to those that are dry.
    Water ponds will naturally refill as long as they're not completely empty.

3. ONLY HUNT FAMILY ANIMALS, lest your babies not have their babies to hunt.
    Family animals respawn - lone animals don't. They're gone. Forever.

4. DON'T PLANT DOMESTIC BERRY BUSHES, they dry the land & feed few.
    Farming berry bushes is slow & wastes fertile soil, don't do it unless you can compost.

THE SEVEN TENETS by colinmarc
  1. LIVE LIGHT UPON THE LAND
    Try to minimize any impact you have on natural resources, don't be wasteful.

2. IF THE LAND IS DEAD, LEAVE IT
    Many settlements have completely extinguished resources, take what you can and move to greener pastures.

3. ONLY THE FARMER EATS FROM THE DIRT
    Eat off the food storage - don't eat directly from farms or bakeries lest you disturb their working.

4. A TOOL, LIKE A CHILD, NEEDS A HOME
    Keep the tools in their respective work areas, if you take a tool you must put it back.

5. ONE MOTHER, ONE DAUGHTER
    The food can't feed many, raise & keep one daughter. Sons you may keep, should the food be plentiful.

6. CLOTHE YOURSELF AND YOUR KIN, THROW BABBIES TO THE FIRE (sorry, colin)
    The warmer you are, the less food you need; clothe yourselves, raise babies by the fireside.

7. A CHILD MUST BE BORN WITH THE TENETS WIF DE SID OF KNOLEJ (sorry again)
    When a child is born, ask "DO U SHAR DE KNOLEJ?", if it says "T - O - K" it already knows.
    If it doesn't, you may only raise it if you teach it.

THE TIPS OF TYRANNY by TyrantNomad
  1. LEAVE WITHOUT BASKET - RETURN WITH, for baskets are essential for civilization.
    If you are unable to leave without a basket, craft one while you're out and bring it back later.

2. THE DOOMED CONFUSE THE MASSES, let not a dead village look alive and tempting.
    Take away everything that doomed settlements have so players don't waste time on them.

3. POPPING IS FOR CORN - NOT BABIES, keep population under control - kill those who don't.
    A community must maintains a steady number, apply knives and arrows to those who disobey.

4. DEPEND NOT ON YOUR HOME, and let your home depend on you.
    Minimize your upkeep, try to find our own food - don't take away, go away and bring more back.

Last edited by TyrantNomad (2018-03-04 17:39:54)

#2 2018-03-04 17:34:02

TyrantNomad

Re: THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE [T-O-K]

THE VILLAGE PEOPLE (what can I do in a village?)

(this is so you can kinda tell what needs to be done - you don't need to stick to a single role)

SIMPLE ROLES (the 'I don't know what to do' roles)
  • THE GATHERER - requires: a basket
    Basic beginner role, if you don't know what to do, grab a basket and get berries and resources from a few screens away.

• THE BASKET BASTARD - requires: a sharp stone
    Villages always need more baskets, go off on your own, don't die, bring back baskets.

• THE ORGANIZER - requires: knowing what goes where
    If the village has enough basket, you can spend years moving things to the right place.

• THE PRIMITIVE RUNNER - requires: a basket or a dry clay bowl
    The primitive runner runs to nearby biomes and brings back specific things - water, fertile soil & seeds.

• THE 'OH I KNOW HOW TO MAKE SOME STUFF' - requires: game knowledge
    This role is responsible for making the basic tools for fire, hunting and pottery.

BASIC ROLES (once you've actually started a settlement - most roles are split)
  • THE FARMER WATERGETTER - requires: tilled rows, seeds & water pouches
    Farmers are responsible for taking care of the farm, mostly maintaining seeding rows or SECRET GARDENS.
    A developing settlement needs carrots & milkweed.

• THE HUNTER CLOTHIER - requires: hunting tools and backpack, if possible
    The core aggregators of value during this phase - they run off and bring back materials for clothing and skewers.
    Hunters should also be the ones crafting clothes at the start of a settlement.

• THE FIREMAKER SKEWERPERSON - requires: firemaking tools
    The firemaker is responsible for maintaining a fire for raising children, cooking skewers & base organization.

• THE GATHERING CRAFTSPERSON - requires: lots of knowledge and hopefully a backpack
    The craftsperson is responsible for managing & collecting the necessary resources for advancing the settlement.
    This is a more generalized, split role, until you reach blacksmithing.

SETTLEMENT ROLES (for when you spawn somewhere and go 'oh this place looks neat')
  • THE ACTUAL FARMER - requires: loads of baskets, all types of seeds, farming knowledge
    In a larger base, the farmer is responsible for managing all the farm-based resources and seeds & commanding watergetters.

• THE DEDICATED WATERGETTER requires: at least 3 pouches & basket, hopefully 7 and a backpack
    The dedicated watergetter is responsible for keeping water pouches always full & making sure that no ponds are dry.

• THE BLACKSMITH - requires: a forge, game knowledge
    The blacksmith is responsible for managing the production of steel tools.
    The smith will probably be the one to manage the kiln to make charcoal & collect smithing materials.

• THE SCAVENGER - requires: basket & backpack, survival knowledge
    The scavenger is a specialized gatherer, going on long journeys looking for specific things that accelerate development.
    The scavenger communicates with the village & assists all other roles.

• THE KNOWLEDGEABLE MOM - requires: lots of game knowledge, a slow fire
    The mom is the village's baby-raiser - teaching players who have just spawned as they grow.
    As the village should not be constantly spawning babies, it's advised that the mom also does basic cooking & base organizing.

• THE BUILDER - requires: basket & backpack, one sharp stone per wetland
    The builder will plan & build the village's more permanent structures.
    To accomplish this, they must walk into the wetlands, collect 7 clay, combine 7 adobe on the spot and return to town.

VILLAGE ROLES (for when you spawn somewhere and go 'holy shit look at this stuff')

(not done, please suggest & describe roles from steel age+ for villages making carts and roads)

#3 2018-03-04 17:37:32

TyrantNomad

RESERVED FOR TRICKS & TECHNIQUES(like those SECRET GARDENS)

#4 2018-03-04 17:39:38

TyrantNomad

RESERVED FOR SPECIFIC CULTURES(like the MILKWEED people or the WOODROAD CITIES)

#5 2018-03-04 23:02:47

Alexotronic

Dying with Intent - When you are old and ready to leave this world, die next to a basket.

#6 2018-03-04 23:48:23

dardenfall

But there needs to be instructions to do all these things.  Like what are family animals?  How do new players know?  I played about 10 games for a few hours and I barely know how to do anything.

#7 2018-03-05 00:05:12

Twinsen

dardenfall wrote:

But there needs to be instructions to do all these things.  Like what are family animals?  How do new players know?  I played about 10 games for a few hours and I barely know how to do anything.

I watched GreyStillPlay from U-tube and learned about this game first and later read Jason's article about exhaustible resources.

#8 2018-03-05 00:18:03

asterlea

I usually word it at "animal families" as i think it's slightly more clear (maybe?), but someone asked me what that meant once and I explained "animals with babies" and they seemed to get it.

It takes awhile to learn things, I've been playing since release and there are still things I don't know how to do. Today I learned how to make compost for the first time. I try to teach how to do the things I know when I get a chance, feel free to ask if you see someone doing something you want to learn. In one village a man taught me how to bake pies, and when I was old I taught another child how to make them, spreading the knowledge.

It's a journey, just try to learn or get more comfortable with something new each time, the most important things to remember at the beginning are the Laws as they prevent ecological collapse. Other than that, if you are born into a civilization listen if people tell you things not to do.

#9 2018-03-05 00:26:38

Lonewarior811

TyrantNomad wrote:
THE VILLAGE PEOPLE (what can I do in a village?)

(this is so you can kinda tell what needs to be done - you don't need to stick to a single role)

SIMPLE ROLES (the 'I don't know what to do' roles)
  • THE GATHERER - requires: a basket
    Basic beginner role, if you don't know what to do, grab a basket and get berries and resources from a few screens away.

• THE BASKET BASTARD - requires: a sharp stone
    Villages always need more baskets, go off on your own, don't die, bring back baskets.

• THE ORGANIZER - requires: knowing what goes where
    If the village has enough basket, you can spend years moving things to the right place.

• THE PRIMITIVE RUNNER - requires: a basket or a dry clay bowl
    The primitive runner runs to nearby biomes and brings back specific things - water, fertile soil & seeds.

• THE 'OH I KNOW HOW TO MAKE SOME STUFF' - requires: game knowledge
    This role is responsible for making the basic tools for fire, hunting and pottery.

BASIC ROLES (once you've actually started a settlement - most roles are split)
  • THE FARMER WATERGETTER - requires: tilled rows, seeds & water pouches
    Farmers are responsible for taking care of the farm, mostly maintaining seeding rows or SECRET GARDENS.
    A developing settlement needs carrots & milkweed.

• THE HUNTER CLOTHIER - requires: hunting tools and backpack, if possible
    The core aggregators of value during this phase - they run off and bring back materials for clothing and skewers.
    Hunters should also be the ones crafting clothes at the start of a settlement.

• THE FIREMAKER SKEWERPERSON - requires: firemaking tools
    The firemaker is responsible for maintaining a fire for raising children, cooking skewers & base organization.

• THE GATHERING CRAFTSPERSON - requires: lots of knowledge and hopefully a backpack
    The craftsperson is responsible for managing & collecting the necessary resources for advancing the settlement.
    This is a more generalized, split role, until you reach blacksmithing.

SETTLEMENT ROLES (for when you spawn somewhere and go 'oh this place looks neat')
  • THE ACTUAL FARMER - requires: loads of baskets, all types of seeds, farming knowledge
    In a larger base, the farmer is responsible for managing all the farm-based resources and seeds & commanding watergetters.

• THE DEDICATED WATERGETTER requires: at least 3 pouches & basket, hopefully 7 and a backpack
    The dedicated watergetter is responsible for keeping water pouches always full & making sure that no ponds are dry.

• THE BLACKSMITH - requires: a forge, game knowledge
    The blacksmith is responsible for managing the production of steel tools.
    The smith will probably be the one to manage the kiln to make charcoal & collect smithing materials.

• THE SCAVENGER - requires: basket & backpack, survival knowledge
    The scavenger is a specialized gatherer, going on long journeys looking for specific things that accelerate development.
    The scavenger communicates with the village & assists all other roles.

• THE KNOWLEDGEABLE MOM - requires: lots of game knowledge, a slow fire
    The mom is the village's baby-raiser - teaching players who have just spawned as they grow.
    As the village should not be constantly spawning babies, it's advised that the mom also does basic cooking & base organizing.

• THE BUILDER - requires: basket & backpack, one sharp stone per wetland
    The builder will plan & build the village's more permanent structures.
    To accomplish this, they must walk into the wetlands, collect 7 clay, combine 7 adobe on the spot and return to town.

VILLAGE ROLES (for when you spawn somewhere and go 'holy shit look at this stuff')

(not done, please suggest & describe roles from steel age+ for villages making carts and roads)

For the steel age maybe a town guard with a bow or knife because some people are murderers.  Also I wanna see some tribe wars.  That would be cool.

Last edited by Lonewarior811 (2018-03-05 00:27:23)

Think like how the people of the past thought in your shoes, not how you think of the past.

#10 2018-03-05 03:06:45

bransler

At this point I would think tribe wars would only mean mutual extinction.

Further, the value of cooperation in this game can't be overstated, even if it's just cooperating not to screw things up. I don't think we "win" by any single lifetime, but by seeing the entirety of humanity achieving more technology, longer lives, and longer unbroken lines of generations.

#11 2018-03-05 03:19:41

Lonewarior811

bransler wrote:

At this point I would think tribe wars would only mean mutual extinction.

Further, the value of cooperation in this game can't be overstated, even if it's just cooperating not to screw things up. I don't think we "win" by any single lifetime, but by seeing the entirety of humanity achieving more technology, longer lives, and longer unbroken lines of generations.

You should watch the video on this website about the 4 reasons for living or something like that it shows that we can focus on other matters and its ok.  This game is about the experiences and your personal stories as stated in the description as well as future generations.  Also it is very possible that killing another tribe could mean saving your own.  I think thats the only logic for fighting anyway. (The video is at the bottom of the home page next to the discord and its called "how to deal with a crisis of meaning").

Last edited by Lonewarior811 (2018-03-05 03:45:38)

Think like how the people of the past thought in your shoes, not how you think of the past.

#12 2018-03-05 03:56:40

bransler

Yes, I watched the video before I decided to buy the game. smile
Different people can enjoy games in different ways, but so far I haven't seen hostility work out as a winning strategy. I wouldn't mind hearing others' stories of it if it has been.

Last edited by bransler (2018-03-05 04:21:59)

Board footer