One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-11 08:21:47

InSpace

Developed cities = nothing to do

I keep spawning into big cities that have everything already made, and nothing to do in them. I had some luck after the update to spawn into an eve camp and got to help out a bunch but that is so rare to be there at the start. I get so bored from playing in developed cities that I just quit playing and I wish it didn't.

I wish there was some infinity goal you could work towards once a city was done so there was always something to work towards, something like the gene thing but from grinding work.

#2 2020-04-11 09:00:51

TheRubyCart

Re: Developed cities = nothing to do

no shit sherlock, sorry if I sound offence, but they can be fun if you do some things

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#3 2020-04-11 09:17:08

DestinyCall

You could try making every type of food in the game.    That's a good longterm goal.  I bet you have never made ice cream.

#4 2020-04-11 09:53:25

miskas

Why make yum foods? random Yaming is as efficient as mutton pies and Yaming of the best foods is worse than milk.
The best you can do about food is to make buckets and milk.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … 6&range=O3

But on the point, I don't see any reason to care really for long term issues currently. After you and your Genes have enough to survive, why make more iron, more water, why to care about a family or a city in general?
I find myself making milk, order the city, scavenge resources from abandoned areas/cities.  But I also find myself doing it out of boredom not because it is rewarding or I have a goal to achieve.

Last edited by miskas (2020-04-11 09:55:00)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#5 2020-04-11 12:15:32

Elsayal

miskas wrote:

Why make yum foods?

Cause it's fun if you don't know how to do it smile

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#6 2020-04-11 13:32:07

Morti

An important part of the game is missing since this last iron update.

People are not taking flight to new areas with the intent of bring people closer to fresh, new resources.

It used to be necessary, when water came chiefly from ponds and there were no natural springs.

It came when iron was rarer.

It came when people ran out of carrot seeds.

People would play a few lives, in a few times, realize they were all struggling and move one, as a young woman, they would fly out of their home and travel 200, 300, sometimes 500 or even 1,000 meters, back when those really felt like long distances, away from their home, and by the time mother's had started popping out children, they'd found the nearest, grassland with loads of milkweed, near a swamp with lots of ponds, clay and reeds, and, back before the temp update, a desert, where people could balance their own temperature perfectly on the edge. A very important place for a family, it took food consumption down from one pip every 4 seconds, up to one every 22 seconds, which is still difficult to manage today, with clothes and fire, but back then you could move along the edge of the desert and enjoy a perfect temperature, or, lock your temp meter, by moving and never stopping, and locking it at perfect temp, so you could just run for, what seemed like miles, and not stop to eat.

Developed cities are boring. Hungry work is lame, really takes the fun out of really big projects.
What are people supposed to do, take a cart of milk buckets to the swamp, to cut down 200 trees for those two 10x10 wood floors?
Think about this, no home on Earth, no matter how big, required 200 trees to fall for it's floors. The tree, as it exists in game, produces a pathetic amount of resources, for what it represents. The process of making fire, can take up to 15 minutes, to gather all the milkweed for the thread, for the rope. Gathering the branches, trimming them down, chopping the branches with the hatchet, getting the leaf, tinder, kindling sequence down.
You can tell this is a big deal.
Not so for falling a tree.
One chop and it's done, and the rewards are pathetic.
Good sized trees take a full day of real life to cut down with an ax, and another day to remove the branches, saw the trunk into logs and cut limbs down into kindling and firewood. Taking down a tree could easily require more effort and be more rewarding, than it currently is.
That way people could floor more rooms, have more of a reason to have a carpenter's workshop in town and getting lumber would be a more important part of the game that felt more engaging.

oim27se.png

B8G5mtF.png

AKcYWRn.png

There are no redwoods in game, but taking down a good sized tree, of any kind, involved a lot of time, a lot of work, and a lot of people.

zq6HqQI.jpg

Making wood work and tree clearing a more rewarding, more involved endeavor, is just one example of an area of the game that could be expanded upon, give people more resources to work with and towns more of something to be proud of. Circular saws, band saws, jigsaws, stick saws, there are so many machines, lathes, planars, circular sanders, belt sanders. There is a world, of tools, to turn a tree, into furniture, into a home, and to turn a forest, into a town, and this game is sorely missing out on exploring the aspects of that world.

Board footer