One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-09 21:21:07

MistressZues

UPDATES DON'T ALWAYS = UPGRADES :(

I've loved this game since the day it went live. A few months back I remember we couldn't get enough of the new character and family skins! We ALL loved the diversity be it for role playing race wars or role playing interracial marriages an peaceful cohabitation. We were promised Asian character skins but what has happened to them? we still don't have them an now seems like we won't considering they wont have any "special biomes" and adding them an making yet another biome "special" would honestly ruin this game. Am I alone in thinking we need to cycle back?

I'm not a fan of special biomes. So many use it as a way to grief. ''oh cool look at this ginger family ill take all their stuff an place it in the desert so they cant get it.'' ''oh i got caught stealing an griefing my own family an they stabbed me, let me run into the jungle so they cant retrieve the stolen goods from my corpse''. \

Being able to teach a new player how to play was so fun but not anymore, now new players want to learn something and you have to tell them ''oh sorry your not good enough for that you weren't born the right race??!!''

We were given all these diverse characters and for what? To have our options be live out our lives with our family in our village who all look just like us or to go travel to see other skins only to be infertile an not have a family of your own sad.

Restricting our ''breeding'' and taking away our ability to co habitat was a downgrade in my opinion is it just me??

Honestly I kinda miss the fact that we cant stab with out a posse. The murder was apart of the game. Being a medic and saving people attacked by griefers or a war party was on of my favorite things to do in game. Now its like whats the point of making meds. Any one hurt is hurt by animals outside of town and anyone shot or stabbed was a griefer the town decided to execute sad.

The game was at a good place when we had the follower/lord/lady system put in place back in what december I believe. Since then the new offspring baby an /fam have been great additions but I think the biome restrictions an posse kills need to go. Instead of making it impossible to stab without posse how about if you are killed by a posse its almsot impossible to heal them if not impossible period?

Alot of people liked to do solo hermit runs and that is non existent now.

Last edited by MistressZues (2020-04-09 21:21:54)

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#2 2020-04-09 22:57:37

Morti

Re: UPDATES DON'T ALWAYS = UPGRADES :(

I miss when a new player would find themselves in the wild, and have kids, and then state they didn't know what to do, and helping them start a new home from what was available near the place we found ourselves.
Logging back on, 8 hours later, and finding that camp to be one of the most successful, or more productive, of all the towns in existence at the time, after having lived at 4-6 of them, the next day.
It always made me wonder, if that player had revisited their town as well, and saw, just how great, any place can become, long long as people are willing to stick around and work hard at it.
Now the chance of turning an AWOL female's nice, home away from home, into the game's equivalent of a bustling metropolis of it's own, is utterly impossible, or at the least, very discouraged, very unlikely and just not a scenario, for a new person picking up the game, to find themselves in, now that the game is telling them "Your ability to bring new players into the world, stops at this line. You cannot have children, anywhere but in these specific zones."
This is the kind of art where a person gives a million dollars to a museum, to rent a studio, and puts nothing in it.
While claiming, the lack of any art, is art.
Or those canvases put on display, with no paint on them, that arthouse critics will then defend, saying "The artist is putting the audience in their seat..." or some such nonsense.

Kinda starts to feel like any change, is just a coin toss. Heads, you'll enjoy it. Tails, it's bullshit.
And as everyone's version of heads or tails becomes different, we're all just left playing a game that is only ever 50% of what we'd like it to be.

"Better to have loved and lost..." not when the odds of loss hover around 100%, given time, and the chances of finding love again, become slimmer and slimmer as the game moves away, from what it was, you fell in love with, to begin with.

It's an odd model of game design, that's a safe bet.

#3 2020-04-10 00:21:35

Coconut Fruit

I agree with all of these.
I mostly miss the old killing system. Current system is just boring and took away fun interactions and healers. Dammit, recently a man took right away my newborn kid and named him... how bad I wanted to kill him, but I couldn't. In older system my family could decide to either heal him or let him die, it was a great system.

This game tries to imitate reality in many cases. In reality if we wanted to stab someone with a knife, they would either run if they noticed our intentions, or they would just get stabbed. What we have in the game now doesn't make much sense.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#4 2020-04-10 11:44:02

Morti

Coconut Fruit wrote:

I agree with all of these.
I mostly miss the old killing system. Current system is just boring and took away fun interactions and healers. Dammit, recently a man took right away my newborn kid and named him... how bad I wanted to kill him, but I couldn't. In older system my family could decide to either heal him or let him die, it was a great system.

This game tries to imitate reality in many cases. In reality if we wanted to stab someone with a knife, they would either run if they noticed our intentions, or they would just get stabbed. What we have in the game now doesn't make much sense.

I have always tried to see murder in One Life, as an accident. An accident caused by mental and social misunderstandings, or, an accident caused by physically failing to fully control mechanics. How many times, we passed knives or bows to other people, only to shoot them or stab them and have them instantly die, early in the game's history, because we thought we were going to pass the item to the other player and had to find out first hand, that having a loaded bow or knife in your hand and clicking on the other player, instantly killed them.

I imagined it like Stardew Valley, you're down in the mines, you find a new sword, and at the end of the day, your arms are tired, your mind, is tired, you just want to sell some things and get home, maybe check your progress on the monster kill board. You stumble into the Adventurer's Guild at 9:50 PM, just in time to talk to Marlon and Gil, real quick, before the place closes, and as you go to place your old looted sword on the counter to sell to Marlon, it slips out of your tired, rushed, hands and the blade sinks into Marlon's side. You were doing so well, at the game, but now it's taken another turn. Marlon won't survive his injury. You will never be able, to talk to him again. He is removed from the game. What is worse, everyone in town, everyone else in the game, will figure out that you killed Marlon.

You can try to rush back to town, to wake Harvey, to get him to rush out to the guild and heal Marlon, and that could certainly play out.
You could try to carry Marlon, to Harvey's hospital, but you have been in the mines all day, working so hard, swinging your sword at monsters, picking stones, hauling ore. Your body is just too tired to carry Marlon that far.
What are you going to do? What can you do? Marlon's dead. Gil's decide to go tell the mayor about what has happened.
Anytime Marlon is ever mentioned by any other NPC, it will remind me of how he died. How your mistake, lead to his death.
Nothing will be the same, between you and everyone else in town.
Every possible interaction with you, the whole town will always remember, that Marlon's life was cut short, because of your haste and clumsiness.

It didn't have to happen, but it did. Now you have to live with it.

Real accidents happen. Many of my classmates from real life, are now dead, because of accidents. Mostly automobile accidents. Many have died because of a lack of knowledge, and shared experiences, involved in the taking of illicit drugs. I can't even recall why some of them that are dead, are no longer with us. People, people just make mistakes sometimes. Even if it didn't seem like a mistake at the time. Even if killing the person that was bullying them, felt like the right thing to do, they did not go to prison the hero and they probably won't come out feeling like heroes, if they ever come out at all.

Yes, we have no police, no court system, no correctional institutions. No grief counselors, no psychologists, no antipsychotic medications. No mental institutions, no dungeons, no guillotines. There is no authority in game, but us. There is no compassion, in game, but our own.

People who want to experience this game without being threatened, who don't want to threaten you in game, are unlikely to come out in a more public form and tell you they don't want murder to be so easy. Murder in video games, is already too easy. And you may feel, that because it is so normal, elsewhere, that you should have it, anywhere, you like.

Players that don't want to kill you, in game, probably don't want to argue with you, outside of the game either.

They will just leave, if this game becomes that way. As good*, passive, hard working people, have migrated away from violent, authoritarian stages of civilization, for hundreds, of thousands, of years. And because of their good*, passive, hard working efforts, now have nuclear weapons, drones, missiles, and far more advanced weapons, than people who would still be stabbing each other, with knives, arrows or swords. This is why human's closest living ancestors on this planet, are gorillas, apes, chimpanzees and other, old world, primates. We got away from them, figured out more effective solutions* and went back to their camps and towns, feeling morally justified through new words, feeling empowered, by new technology, and we killed them all. Time, and time, again. Premeditated genocide, has been the rule, for humanity, for a long time.

Who are any of you to stop yourself from giving in to those urges?

Modern day, humans? I guarantee, everyone of your countries, has taught you, the justifications for war, through your History Classes, through your, Movies, your News Organizations and through your Games. Play along, and murder is okay. Go rogue and pay the consequences - suffer the wrath of the state.

Now you are in a game, with an average of 50, other, people playing on average at a time. How easy, it would be, to pit you against each other, into little tribes.
How unfulfilled, you must feel, with your education in the justification for murder, atrophying in your memory.

I want you, feeling as though your military education, of any sort, is going to waste, to see your contribution to the futility, and to get away. Get away, from this state and find peace and productivity, outside of conflict. Focus, on efficiency. Focus, on communication. Focus, on technology. Maybe you will find a reason, to live, without needing to defend yourself. Maybe your existence, can be justified, because of what you create, instead of because of what you are afraid, will be destroyed. But none the less, go off, into your directions. Find new strengths, elsewhere.

There are still, so many possible outcomes, for our future. But not if we sit here, playing the same game, with the same pieces.
The goal of chess, will never be, to make life better, for every piece, in every game, from this game forward.
Our goal, with One Life, should be. It should be, to leave chess, the gorilla, of games in the past, and to move on, to something greater, than any chess player, could even imagine, a game could be.

Not just to see the game of war, as futile, but to see the opportunity, for a greater game, off the board, imperative.

Maybe your descendants, won't come back to the chess game and ionize the table from space, maybe they will. Maybe they will find, greater meaning; a greater, justification, for their existence, with greater laws, greater courts, stronger educations and a higher sense of morale authority, than we could have found, in games of the past. Maybe we can all see past conflict with life, and see, the a greater challenge, a greater threat, to our existence, are the unliving, unthinking, remorseless processes of, the universe itself, which we have yet to bring to life. The lifelessness zombie of space, that surrounds Earth, moaning, shuffling towards us, from every direction. The vampire of entropy, that saps blood, endlessly, from the Earth and Sun. You want real conflict? Fight off the unlife of the rest of the Universe, before it has the chance, to pull us back, into pre-Hadean conditions. Before it reclaims this planet, for unlife, for the never born, never aware, never life before, that is unknown everywhere but here.

--

Fight the greatest war of all, against the absence of life, everywhere else, in the universe.

May the lessons we learn, from the battles of this war, be the children's tales of future outposts, from here to the last star.

--

In the meantime, we have to find ways to unwire ourselves, from the cannibalism of our past. We are a little too dependent, one exploiting the natural automation, that comes with being alive and maintaining ourselves. This is how we are pushed to war, by more manipulative members of our own species. It is why some of you desire the ability, to murder, rather than to understand, and to pass on that ability to understand, to others. Especially to those you would want to see suffer, because they don't feel like a part of you. People are not tumors. They know what they are doing and why they are doing it. That you don't know, is not your fault or theirs, but your desire to cut them off, like a tumor, rather than to understand them, like a lesson and to see them, like, another seed, it is not your fault, but ours. Clearly we have not expressed to you, the value of life, above all other things. You are not a white blood cell, they are not a disease, we are people. Treat them as you would a real person, because they are a real person. There are many things we have to teach each other, many messages, in many languages, and very few of them, can be typed, or spoken.

Stop killing yourself, game.

Stop cutting off parts, of your own body.

You must understand.

With every person you turn away, you are removing a limb, or an organ, from this body. You are letting infections, spread, from you to other people. Infections of hate and impatience, infections of intolerance, frustration and poor judgement. You want permission to kill? Expressing that desire alone should forfeit you from ever ever being granted that ability.

We have work to do. You killing off one of us in training, does not help us to transform the world, into what we want it to become, first and foremost; a place where more people, are happy to be born and reborn, to work hard and transform the land, into a place, capable of supporting, an unending stream of each other. Growth; healthy, sustainable, growth, has never been more crucial. Good people will come and stay for the solace. There are no other types of people, only places, of pain and confusion, that lead them away, and through here, where we can remedy those injuries, if we just have time. You, threatening to kill, threatening to take that time away, only makes the most important job; the hardest, most impressive, most imperative job, that much more difficult.

Please, see the error passed on to you.
See, life's mission, from above as inside.

Give those most in need of your time, the most of that time,
in true patience and guiding wisdom,
and we will all grow, together.

We will, all, grow together.

--

Coconut, next time someone does that, just let them know how much it means to you.
We all have hearts. We can understand.

#5 2020-04-10 19:23:22

Dantox

Morti wrote:

Please, see the error passed on to you.
See, life's mission, from above as inside.

Give those most in need of your time, the most of that time,
in true patience and guiding wisdom,
and we will all grow, together.

We will, all, grow together.

you really like to philosophize

make bread, no war

#6 2020-04-11 01:14:09

Joseph Stalin

race restrictions literally the worst thing in the game by 1000000%
tool slots are annoying but understandable i guess

#7 2020-04-11 01:15:03

Elsayal

I don't mind race/biome restrictions.
But I don't like solo kill. Even if I didn't kill a single person in all my games ... Well, maybe once, but come on, I have more than a thousand lifes.

Last edited by Elsayal (2020-04-11 01:16:05)

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#8 2020-04-11 03:36:29

Morti

Dantox wrote:

philosophize

Is that the word I should tell my doctor, to get treated?

#9 2020-04-11 04:28:25

Gogo
Banned

I also miss being a healer. hmm And I started to dislike race restrictions.

#10 2020-04-11 05:08:33

Morti

Gogo wrote:

I also miss being a healer. hmm And I started to dislike race restrictions.

I'd like, more animals, to be provoked into attacking people. I imagine as people expanded into tiger and lion territories, tiger and lion attacks increased, but what did people do about that? We wiped the sabertooth tigers off the map, and lion and tiger attacks sure aren't as common. Not many bears left in Europe, either.
But there sure are a lot of people.
And there aren't too many rebellious tribes of people, either.
Guess where they went?

It's not easy, being different.
Challenging power, is never easy.
No matter how much sense it makes.

#11 2020-04-11 16:32:08

MistressZues

Morti wrote:

I'd like, more animals, to be provoked into attacking people. I imagine as people expanded into tiger and lion territories, tiger and lion attacks increased, but what did people do about that? We wiped the sabertooth tigers off the map, and lion and tiger attacks sure aren't as common. Not many bears left in Europe, either.

side note have you seen the animal reports lately in the cities since so many people are staying in?! The animals walking around in the streets is a marvel!

https://youtu.be/DO4NZXJJYz8
https://youtu.be/qjntxqQwHrc

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#12 2020-04-11 20:35:10

Morti

MistressZues wrote:

side note have you seen the animal reports lately in the cities since so many people are staying in?! The animals walking around in the streets is a marvel!

I live near woods where white tail deer are frequently seen. Well, lately I haven't seen them around, turns out they've migrated farther into town and are eating from people's bird feeders, last year's fruit from the fruit trees and lawns, shrubs and bushes. It's also safer in town because people drive slower, outside of town they speed up and if deer cross their path out there, there are often accidents. Carried a dead fawn off the road, to her mother, last yer, less than an hour after the fawn was hit. The mother was crying, calling to her fawn to come out of the road... when I approached with her fawn, she ran into the woods, but she saw where I laid the fawn, so she could approach it, safe from the road, and deal with the reality of her child's death. I went back there a week later and the fawn was gone. She still had one fawn, and I saw the two of them together a few more times last year, but they weren't as happy without the other fawn around. Luckily I got to see all three of them together, several times, for months before the accident.

I'm glad the deer are fattening up, I just hope they don't get too careless in town, and take that carelessness back to the outskirts with them when traffic is back to usual, and people are driving just as fast as ever, leaving and arriving to this area. The problem with the lack of traffic, people who like to drive, and drive fast, are freer to do so now, with fewer cars on the roads. So, I'm afraid while sightings in towns are going up, deaths from accidents, just outside, are going to go up as well.

#13 2020-04-11 21:55:05

Gogo
Banned

I was thinking about history, if we had memorable events or places after iron update and holemands and I don't think so. World was more realistic when there was big towns and small settlements.

#14 2021-01-04 17:23:57

MistressZues

Gogo wrote:

I was thinking about history, if we had memorable events or places after iron update and holemands and I don't think so. World was more realistic when there was big towns and small settlements.

Exactly! I feel the rift was the most realistic, it was to small to support the population long enough for our liking though. I think if we brought the rift back but bigger it would do great this time. Alot of iron, bear and tarry updates fixed the old issues the community complained about.

B A 10,000k rift would be suitable maybe. Alot of the new hardcore community users don't even know what the rift was. I think they would appreciate it more then the original recievers. The biggest complaint I hear in game is that the building and town's don't last and it feels like you work for nothing. Those big rift castles lasting months were the best!

#15 2021-01-04 18:28:01

DestinyCall

During the Rift, nothing lasted for months.   The Rift was constantly reaching a failure state and getting wiped.

#16 2021-01-05 00:46:54

MistressZues

DestinyCall wrote:

During the Rift, nothing lasted for months.   The Rift was constantly reaching a failure state and getting wiped.

Yea I may have exaggerated the months thing but they builds sure lasted alot longer then they do now lol

Board footer