FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

Re: Finding other towns/experts is STILL a pain, and how I'm fixing it

damn....he's going to edit it now ?

I'm fish, deal with it or don't, idgaf

#27 2020-04-04 09:06:20

Léonard

Disclaimer: this is a big post! If you don't feel like reading it, don't.
It's fine, I really don't care anymore at this point.
But please! Please don't bother trying to reply to it if you just "skimmed through it".
Just don't bother, it's fine.

Ah, yes! The old arrogant Jason is back.
I was hoping he was gone, but there he is yet again.
Some things just never change I guess.

jasonrohrer wrote:

It's interesting to me that people complain about some feature or constraint, as if it's the problem, but if you actually get them to unpack it a bit more, there's a different problem lurking underneath.

It's interesting to you only because you see what you want to see.
At the end of the day, even if you manage to finally end up with the most contrived, frustrating and boring form of forced trade, people will still tell you that family restrictions was a terrible update.
And for the very reason you so desperately try to ignore whenever people point it out on the account that we don't have 15 years of game designing experience.
It's not because people's criticism seemingly "hides" useful information that it invalidates it automatically.

As for the iron scarcity stuff, did you ever consider that if you pushed our reasoning a bit further, i.e. the fundamental idea that for people to be able to make decisions, they need more options/choices and error room to be able to take risks (which means less dumb gimmicky restrictions), you'd get to Maslow's hierarchy of needs?
And I'm not even the first one to point this out. Almost a full year ago. Dissapointing..

Here's one of your relatively old posts I dug up which, by the way, reminds me of Dodge in a horrifying way:

jasonrohrer wrote:

Like, imagine automated farming.  That would free up time.  But free up time for what other activity, exactly?

Hey, you know those things you wanted us to do and started trying really hard to force upon us about a year ago?
Trading, war, private properties, economies, governments.
Yeah, well, guess what we're NOT doing while we struggle our ass off just to be able to barely survive?

But I don't know, you tell me, people may say a lot of good things about Maslow and how smart he may be, but at the end of the day, he doesn't have 15 years of experience in game designing.

----------------------------

Following this I would like to address something.
Something which I believe may be at the core of the issue here.

If the reasoning behind all of these updates is that "life is just boring if survival is too easy" then I'm afraid you're plain wrong.
When I see nihilistic points of view like these I get scared for the game.

Modern life is more than just survival. As was said in that thread, modern challenges are simply different.
You mostly had everything right in this thread.
It's good to still have challenges to overcome, but these challenges need to eventually move up the Maslow's hierarchy of needs.
Otherwise you're just making another dumb survival game. And I'm not here for that.
The standard of living will eventually need to get better and survival overal easier.
Otherwise what even would be the point of building a civilization?
Of course, survival being easier in an advanced civilization means you could spend your life doing nothing and eat for the rest of your life.
But like you point out in the "everything runs out" post, these people would be making a mistake because idealy the modern challenges would need solving.
Imagine if everybody in the world would stop doing anything overnight. It would be a disaster! The economy would crash, civilization would collapse!

To make this point short, this abundance that you may or may not think makes us so miserable brought us exactly everything you think your game lacks.
Think about that. You may need to change your vision of things and not just for this game.

----------------------------

jasonrohrer wrote:

Interacting with another family to get them to help you [...] isn't actually annoying.

Literally nobody ever said that.
That's a big strawman you're making there.

In fact, I'd say most people actually do want to have interesting interactions with families.
It's not because we oppose your way of forcing interactions into the game that we despise interactions.
Like for example adding war swords and calling them "rich dynamics" because people are literally so afraid of griefers that they finally ended up building fences around villages, all while saying it was a gigantic pain in the ass to do so. Are you going to back down on it now and say it was actually a good idea because maybe the problem was the fences specifically?

I mean, at the end of the day, we all want a good game to play.
I know it's very dumb to say, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that you believe we want the opposite, especially when I remember stuff like this:

jasonrohrer wrote:

I'm trying to have a good time.  This is my dream job after all.  I love this game, and I love working on it.

Somehow you want me to hate working on it.  Or make me feel so bad about it that I quit?

jasonrohrer wrote:

I get that you don't trust me to do this, or that you think I'm an idiot, or whatever.  But I don't care.  I'm going to do it anyway, or at least try to.  That's my job.  To make the most amazing game ever.

------------------------------

jasonrohrer wrote:

But wandering around randomly for half your life to find them is horrible.

And now it's the "let's see how Jason ignores people's criticism/ideas" moment!

I want to make it clear that I didn't remember any of the following posts off the top of my head, but I looked for them out of pure intuition and it barely took me 10 minutes.

fug wrote:

Fun is not: Walking around for 30 minutes looking for another family because they're too spread due to an apocalypse or lack of knowledge of locations.

DestinyCall wrote:

This is the critical problem with race restrictions in a nutshell.   It is not fun.   It is frustrating.

If your village desperately needs rubber to upgrade the well,  locating a black village or a random black person feels like winning the lottery.   It is that rare.

Mekkie wrote:

you're spending every life running around looking for people. 

How exactly does this break monotony?   It's just a different (and more frustrating) form of the same.

DestinyCall wrote:

My conversation with a new player AFTER the race specialization update:

Newbie - "I need to make rubber.  How do I do it?"
Me - "Find a black person."
Newbie - "How do I find a black person."
Me - "You don't."

That post of yours about people not having 15 years of game designing experience and only stating problems instead of suggestions really worked out didn't it?

I think the real problem was always and still is that you just don't pay attention to what people are telling you.

------------------------------

jasonrohrer wrote:

That problem exists anyway, with or without the biome expert stuff.

But without the biome expert stuff in place, we'd never pinpoint this problem (because you could always get by without finding another village).

Is this your way of saying that it was yet another dumb experiment just like with the rift?
Because if it's not, that's still not a good justification for this unfun and frustrating update to remain.

#28 2020-04-05 15:25:22

Morti

Those stones are voodoo.
Why do they even exist in the world?
You can't make them, make sense.
They're worse forms of voodoo than ley lines or curses.

The need for the purpose they serve, is real, their existence, is not.
I like the challenge of survival, the need to work together, and everything, but, you're stretching to hard to make too many challenges work together, in my opinion.

People that do not use coordinate mods or wondible's map, or, talk on discord or anything, should have a reasonable chance, reasonable, to make their arrangements of towns and families, work, before one of them expires, dies, falls out of the loop and another family, another town, needs to be incorporated in, from an entirely opposite direction.

I make no suggestion for any kind of fix though.
As you have said to me before, Jason, if you don't know what you're doing, don't bother trying.
You'll just make things worse.
Right?
But you were wrong then, about people imagining the future, and I would be wrong to tell you not to, twiddle, with your game, in what ever way you want to.
At this point, you could add portals and spells and Star Trek transporters delivered by Martians that live on the Moon, and I'd make it work.
If I wanted to.
But you better believe people'd be exploitin the shit outta some transporters!

#29 2020-04-05 21:09:01

Glassius

KWq2r92.jpg

#30 2020-04-06 14:31:11

Silanar

maybe if u buff the terry spots or make them unlimited.
A Scenario:
Ginger have one terry spot near his town.
The first uses are fast done. instead of instantly searching i new and far away terry spot we maybe can upgrade the spot like the mines now.
they wont constantly search new spots 1k+ tiles away (u need to travel everytime between home and spot and that will cost so much life time).
idk with what. with another diesel engines its maybe unrealistic. or make them more times useable and stick with every use needs a new tire.
i like the mining update but atm the oil is unbalanced with this uüdate. your town needs water and iron in order to survive. And that costs much oil.
if ginger still are the only one who can gather oil for all the spots need a buff maybe.
we can still trade even if its buffed. i played some ginger lives and i always was searching new spots and make semi roads out of pine needles. if its to far i still cant reach the home back.
i can make a map in stone sure. but still there is the 1k+ travel proplem.

idk my idea is more spots or longer live spots. that will help allot in. smile

i dont want oil to be easy. but a better acess would be good i think.

Last edited by Silanar (2020-04-06 14:32:29)

#31 2020-04-06 15:30:10

Gogo
Banned

Longer live spots. Tbh, towns are pretty messy since iron update. Veterans focused on making new engines, which hurt bringing oil.

#32 2020-04-06 22:32:34

Elsayal

DestinyCall wrote:

I'm very surprised that rant did not explicitly state that Jason lied about the game being made out of wood.

This is so good smile

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

Board footer