One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-29 15:11:42

fug

Iron veins are not upgrading (and here's why)

The update is fubar because the game is trying to look for shallow wells but isn't upgrading iron veins because when you create a well you make a family owned shallow well.

HOWEVER

If you reclaim an abandoned shallow well the game will actually upgrade all the iron veins like it's supposed to.

This issue is leading to every single lineage being stuck on the stripped muddy iron vein unable to progress to get more iron.

Currently works for Eves and I'm about to check if other lineages with a different primary homeland can do it too. As annoyed as I am with Jason at the moment it's more important to try to make the game playable and get this fixed asap.

edit: Anyone who uses one of the abandoned wells regardless of homelands will upgrade the iron veins. Best way to find iron is to look for an old dead city, touch their well, then collect the iron from the veins.

Last edited by fug (2020-03-29 15:30:24)

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#2 2020-03-29 15:51:02

Morti

Re: Iron veins are not upgrading (and here's why)

Now that's the kind of post I like to see.

#3 2020-03-29 16:09:55

Dodge

So confusing and complicated...

So first you have to make a well site to get the loose iron https://edge.onetech.info/942-Iron-Vein and this part works?

But then you have to strip all the iron to get https://edge.onetech.info/3953-Stripped-Muddy-Iron-Vein

And then turn the well site into a (family) shallow well to get https://edge.onetech.info/3953-Stripped-Muddy-Iron-Vein and this part doesn't work?

Also what if you upgrade the well site without stripping all the iron does that mean you get soft locked and the vein never upgrade? (assuming that it would work as intended ofc)

Since it's looking for stripped iron veins to upgrade at the moment you dig the well, or will it update the vein when you take the last piece and it sees that the shallow well is made?

Last edited by Dodge (2020-03-29 16:10:39)

#4 2020-03-29 16:17:34

Elsayal

Thanks for the intel fug smile

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#5 2020-03-29 16:26:18

fug

Every tier of the mine works except the one that requires the shallow well to make usable due to the homelands changing how wells work. (tier 2)

If you don't pick the iron off the tier two (aka you add stones, instantly dig up the well, then use it in normal circumstances) you skip the tier two and go straight to tier three. By instantly digging up a well and using it you would lose out on 4 iron per vein on your leyline.

Getting water out of the well basically says "Hey, any iron vein on my leyline within 160 either west or right should be tier 3 now" and just transforms them all to the appropriate stage so at the very least you can't get stuck.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#6 2020-03-29 16:30:57

Psykout

Dodge wrote:

So confusing and complicated...

So first you have to make a well site to get the loose iron https://edge.onetech.info/942-Iron-Vein and this part works?

But then you have to strip all the iron to get https://edge.onetech.info/3953-Stripped-Muddy-Iron-Vein

And then turn the well site into a (family) shallow well to get https://edge.onetech.info/3953-Stripped-Muddy-Iron-Vein and this part doesn't work?

Also what if you upgrade the well site without stripping all the iron does that mean you get soft locked and the vein never upgrade? (assuming that it would work as intended ofc)

Since it's looking for stripped iron veins to upgrade at the moment you dig the well, or will it update the vein when you take the last piece and it sees that the shallow well is made?

It's one sentence...

fug wrote:

The update is fubar because the game is trying to look for shallow wells but isn't upgrading iron veins because when you create a well you make a family owned shallow well

I don't know how to simplify that more...
Upgraded Iron Needs = Shallow Well
When you make a well it = Family Owned Shallow Well NOT a Shallow Well so you don't get access to the iron
Reclaiming a well = Shallow Well so you get access to the iron

Really small transitional mistake. No idea how that could be missed as it has a huge affect on the game.

#7 2020-03-29 16:33:30

antking:]#

yah iron views aren't working... guess what new string of updates we will get (oh and I don't know if it is just me but I have been seeing a lot of penguins spawning in the badlands biome after this update)

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#8 2020-03-29 16:37:20

Dodge

Psykout wrote:

It's one sentence...

From a new player or even intermediate point of view it's really not intuitive.

"I have to put stones on a spring first to "unlock" the iron from the vein nearby then dig the well to uncover more iron from the same vein that didn't have anymore iron before i upgraded the well site but if i decide to change spot then i dont have access to anymore iron because i aleady put stones on a spring"

#9 2020-03-29 16:58:34

DestinyCall

It is unintuitive because it is a bug.

Fug is just explaining where it is broken and how to work around the broken piece.   I am sure this was not how it is supposed to work and it will get fixed eventually.

But running out of iron completely IS working correctly and as intended.  So at least we got that, right?

#10 2020-03-29 17:14:03

Dodge

DestinyCall wrote:

It is unintuitive because it is a bug.

nope, this:

""I have to put stones on a spring first to "unlock" the iron from the vein nearby then dig the well to uncover more iron from the same vein that didn't have anymore iron before i upgraded the well site but if i decide to change spot then i dont have access to anymore iron because i aleady put stones on a spring""

is how it's supposed to be played without the bug.

#11 2020-03-29 17:28:32

Psykout

Dodge wrote:
Psykout wrote:

It's one sentence...

From a new player or even intermediate point of view it's really not intuitive.

"I have to put stones on a spring first to "unlock" the iron from the vein nearby then dig the well to uncover more iron from the same vein that didn't have anymore iron before i upgraded the well site but if i decide to change spot then i dont have access to anymore iron because i aleady put stones on a spring"

One, thats exactly what people are frustrated with, because as a feature it seems really odd and convoluted

Two, I don't believe its anything to do with when you upgrade the well, just simply that making the well creates the object "Family Shallow Well" and the iron sites are not checking for that transition, just the transition to "Shallow Well" ie: It's a bug/mistake that will be fixed hopefully very soon. I think when it works correctly if you make the well before picking the iron out it wouldn't affect anything. After the well is made, and you then pick the iron it "should" transition the deposit correctly. I say should because that would avoid the problem you are referring to. When the iron gets stripped it should check for the well and then transition, rather than when the well is made checking for stripped deposit. They should always check each other when either of them is made, so you can't lock yourself out of getting iron depending on when you transition either object.

In regards to the entire idea of the update, mining should feel like mining. Building mines, using picks on them, upgrading the mine with tech, thats all really good and warranted. Loose iron in an infinite map will always render any work done to achieve that useless, as it will always be easier to just foraged more than to tech into getting more. I think what we are dealing with heavily right now is that the Three Age System was skipped over entirely and we go right from stone into steel. If there was a middle ground mineral that we made starter tools out of before needing to tech into mining to unlock steel, it might make more sense.

e.g: Bronze that can only be made into a shovel, pick and maybe hoe/axe. You could bootstrap with them, but they'd be unreliable, easy to break. Their main use would be to dig wells and start up mining before you gear up into steel for water and oil.

This concept has been used in damn near any game that has mineral gathering. Each tier of tool allows you to access further tiers and is more reliable/functional to use than the previous.

Story of Seasons/Harvest Moon and Stardew ~ Use iron tool to be able to get at silver tools which then allows you to get to golden tools which then unlocks the final tier of tools. Each tier uses less stamina and can do more tiles per use allowing you to scale up your productivity.

Minecraft ~ Enhanced durability and speed of breaking blocks allowing you scale up your gathering and productivity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-age_system

Last edited by Psykout (2020-03-29 17:44:33)

#12 2020-03-29 17:41:44

DestinyCall

I wish Jason would go back to making stuff that feels like real-life.

I should dig up my old post requesting more stone tools, copper, bronze, iron, and new oven/forge types.    If we had early game metals, this update could have been implemented in a completely different (and better) way, instead of being tied into the water system in a weird way.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-03-29 17:43:49)

#13 2020-03-29 17:47:45

Psykout

DestinyCall wrote:

I wish Jason would go back to making stuff that feels like real-life.

I should dig up my old post requesting more stone tools, copper, bronze, iron, and new oven/forge types.    If we had early game metals, this update could have been implemented in a completely different (and better) way, instead of being tied into the water system in a weird way.

For sure, we've asked about copper/bronze/iron tools for a long time. It's a concept used so much in games that it's incredibly intuitive and would add a lot of depth and really slow down village progression. I'd take a Metallurgy Update in a heartbeat no matter how hard it was to do the late game metals.

#14 2020-03-29 18:07:48

DestinyCall

I don't have a problem with a reasonable level of resource scarcity.   In a crafting game, you gather resources and you craft stuff.    If important things are too rare, you can't gather enough to do anything.    But if they are too common, then they lose value.    In Minecraft, the giant pyramid that I crafted entirely out of diamond blocks was impressive, not just because it was really big, but also because it was made from a rare resource.   That pyramid represented so so so much time spent watching Youtube videos while strip-mining around pools of lava.     Just so much time, guys, you can't even.   

It had value to me in a way that a dirt pyramid could never match. 

But I have a real problem when the level of scarcity is too high to allow for enjoyable gameplay.    Milkweed has this problem for me.   Even though it is technically a renewable resource, milkweed creates an annoying bottle-neck in the tech tree because it is so tedious and water-intensive to farm.   Gathering wild milkweed is much better than farming it, but that results in all the local wild milkweed becoming extinct.   Eventually you MUST farm milkweed and it just isn't fun.    Farming milkweed should be better than gathering wild milkweed.    Or milkweed farming should be replaced by a different option for rope-production as your village becomes more technologically advanced.   That way, you can always fall back on milkweed production if you NEED it, but you would rather move on to the better, more advanced method as soon as it becomes feasible.   

This game has a lot of content already, but the tech tree needs some TLC to fill in the gaps and clean-up the progression.

#15 2020-03-29 18:08:30

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I'm looking at it right now.

Oh, yeah.... I think the +primaryHomeland tag was on two things by accident, which prevents the second upgrade from happening.

Will fix and update servers today.

Before you unleash your rage upon me, remember that this is Sunday morning, my (only) day off, and my kids are waiting to spend time with me.

Software has bugs.

#16 2020-03-29 18:10:15

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Actually, doesn't look like +primaryHomeland is the actual problem here... looking in more detail.

#17 2020-03-29 18:12:43

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Ooops, onetech is out-dated.  It is a problem with two +primaryHomeland tags in there.

#18 2020-03-29 18:25:23

Elsayal

As eve on empty server, everything was working fine. Note that I didn't have a name.
First life : put stone on it & get all irone then made a hammer.
Second life : use the shovel, get some free iron and use a pickaxe on iron vein. Everything worked fine.

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

Board footer