One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-08 01:53:08

Coconut Fruit

Living together with strangers

I liked that every family had its own town. I felt connected with the town and with the family I lived in. Everything that was build in a town was done by its only family's past generations - that was a good feeling.
And now everyone just lives with everyone, every town feels the same.
I played a little bit more lately. The same huge towns over and over again, with many families in. It didn't feel like it was my home, more like everyone's home... living with strangers... I'm not happy with it, but the world kinda forces us to live together. If strangers find our home and want to live there, we can't tell them "no, go away, we don't want to live with strangers here". That wouldn't be smart.

Just wanted to share my feelings.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#2 2020-03-08 02:02:43

Legs

Re: Living together with strangers

A sociologist would have a lot to say about modern society and urban multiculturalism here.

Loco Motion

#3 2020-03-08 02:07:34

sigmen4020

I agree. I remember the time where strangers from other fams arriving at your town was a special event. Now it’s just business per usual to have multi fam towns, since other races are required for progress.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-03-08 14:03:13)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#4 2020-03-08 12:20:08

Ilka

I also liked the homogeneous cities.
I felt more connected with my family.
Especially when I was one of the first generations.
I always watched if my family survived the night.
Now I don't care.
There are 4 families and if I play I will be in each of them and I do not feel connected with anyone.

#5 2020-03-08 14:27:41

Gogo
Banned

As ginger you can live with family in arctic. In fact races should be restricted by having diseases beyond their biomes. tongue

#6 2020-03-08 16:05:40

jinbaili83

What if you are born with skin colour of majority of players around your mother. So minorites just get assimilated and lose their special abilities.

#7 2020-03-13 00:04:24

Karrots

Huh. In my most recent lives (recentness is arguable, but whatever) I've been born in a mediocre village and traveled with one or two good family members to the big bell city. It made me feel really special and gave a new sense of closeness to the family that protected me on our travels.

That feeling is noticeably missing in big developed cities where everyone's lost in a big people bundle. That feeling of family made OHOL special, y'know? Bonding and all that. I'd hate to see it go.

#8 2020-03-13 00:09:33

fug

Gogo wrote:

As ginger you can live with family in arctic. In fact races should be restricted by having diseases beyond their biomes. tongue

They were the only ones with a livable biome in the first place. Now that wells determine fertility none of the races can live in their biomes unless you make a city on the edge of the arctic which is pretty lame in my opinion.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#9 2020-03-13 03:00:36

testo

You can still make a retirement home for old people in the arctic.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#10 2020-03-13 14:32:18

jasonrohrer
Administrator

This has been fixed in this week's update.

#11 2020-03-13 14:39:10

Gogo
Banned

What will happen with home after death of a family, how can other family take over this place?

#12 2020-03-13 14:42:25

jasonrohrer
Administrator

After an hour with no BB for that fam, well becomes abandoned and can be claimed by another fam simply by using it.

After a fam dies, they will definitely go an hour with no BB.

#13 2020-03-13 15:17:29

Legs

What if the family that last claimed a well is still alive somewhere but no longer inhabiting the town that well is in?

What if it's a rarely used backup well on the edge of the main well's tapout zone?

Are well claims permanent as long as the family is alive, or is distance or frequency of use a factor?

Loco Motion

#14 2020-03-13 15:28:25

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Sorry, I didn't explain that correctly.

After an hour of not having a BB in that homeland (around that well), it becomes abandoned by that family.

So if you want to keep a well outpost going, someone needs to be living out there, having BB.

This prevents "conquest" of the map, building wells everywhere, which would block other fams from having homelands there.

#15 2020-03-13 22:15:18

Coconut Fruit

Great update.

jasonrohrer wrote:

After an hour with no BB for that fam, well becomes abandoned and can be claimed by another fam simply by using it.

After a fam dies, they will definitely go an hour with no BB.

I thought towns would die out together with their families... And I kinda liked it. It would bring us a new town everytime a family died out.

We could travel and check our old places if we wanted to, but couldn't live there anymore.

Please consider changing it.
Let only abandoned shallow wells (and maybe deep wells?) be able to claim again, and anything higher than shallow wells would be permanently claimed to a family, even dead one.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#16 2020-03-14 08:27:59

miskas

Coconut this will fill the map with abandoned white villages and further apart towns making their logistics worse.

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#17 2020-03-14 11:01:57

Coconut Fruit

Yeah, I take it back.
Gey's family died out so fast... They had the best town, don't know how did it happen. Could be sad to lose it... But new brown family took it so the town is still alive.

But for the other hand I would be fine with such consequences, it's their fault they died out, "next time do better so you won't lose the town".

So yeah, I would still prefer towns dying out together with their families.

miskas wrote:

this will fill the map with abandoned white villages

Unlike geys and slinkies (both had the best towns on the map), whites are still alive. They have engine pump and kerosene. Don't underestimate them.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#18 2020-03-14 11:48:39

testo

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Yeah, I take it back.
Gey's family died out so fast... They had the best town, don't know how did it happen. Could be sad to lose it... But new brown family took it so the town is still alive.

But for the other hand I would be fine with such consequences, it's their fault they died out, "next time do better so you won't lose the town".

So yeah, I would still prefer towns dying out together with their families.

miskas wrote:

this will fill the map with abandoned white villages

Unlike geys and slinkies (both had the best towns on the map), whites are still alive. They have engine pump and kerosene. Don't underestimate them.

My theory is that you got it the other way around. Gay and Slinky family died out because they developed way faster than Whites and Gingers. I was trading 4/6 buckets of latex per run with the Slinkies while Gold familiy had at most 3/5 people in total and 2 rubber tires. I managed to share two rounds of oiled and sulfured latex with them. At the same time Browns and Blacks had at the very least 10/12 people in each camp. At some point they all got oil but people got bored of the developed camps because they already had it all, so they started siding to be born elsewhere. I would love to see a sid time plot per family because for me the reason families die out is lack of people and not water or food. The second south west camp of the Gays even had enough water to keep it going. So it´s not that families die because they did bad or poorly, they just didn´t have enough content to make people live in their town permanently.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

Board footer