One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-12 23:45:02

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: Known Homeland

zPYE8pR.png

Specialty biomes, and the expert families that go along with them, can provide a kind of social puzzle.  If you travel to find one of these families, are they going to help you with what you need?  There's a language barrier to deal with, but even if you are able to communicate with them, do they know how to get what you need from their biome?  And if they do, are they willing to get it?  Are they going to ask for anything in return, and if so, how are you going to get what they need?  What if they ask for too much?  What if they outright refuse?  What if they simply ignore you?

The idea is to build a more complex and varying challenge.  It's not enough to understand how to make what you want to make.  It's not enough to gather there required resources from the land.  You must navigate the whims of intelligent entities (other players) in order to succeed.  You can't just memorize one solution and apply it over and over.  Depending on the social situation, it may not even be possible to succeed.

This isn't a puzzle that needs to be solved by every player in every life, but instead a transgenerational puzzle that needs to be solved by someone in your village several times over the life of your village.

Here's the problem:  where are they?  The people that you need to interact with---the experts for the biome you need help with---how can you find them?

Wandering around randomly isn't interesting problem-solving.  Hearing a distant bell, and chasing it down to discover that it was rung by the wrong family isn't interesting problem solving (not to mention the 18 hours you need to wait before a bell tower can even be built).

Now the location of each expert family is common knowledge to all.  Each specialty biome has new Expert Way Stones in it, placed along the same ley lines as springs and oil wells.  Touching one of these will point you toward the closest expert for that biome.

So, now you can find other useful families right from the beginning.

But this introduces a new problem:  if you all move into one central village from the very beginning, no interesting social geography will develop over time.  You won't need to take the road to the north to find these folks, nor will you head south through the desert to find these other folks.

I want you close, but not too close.  That other family should be just down the road, and you should know how to find them, but they shouldn't be right on top of you.

Each family now has a homeland around their well.  The place where the water tastes sweet to them.  A family only feels comfortable enough to have babies in their homeland.  Elsewhere, they are too homesick to breed.  Building more well outposts means a bigger homeland, of course.

Due to spring tap-out, wells can't be any closer than 200 tiles apart, which means the village next door will always be at least a 50-second walk away (much shorter by road, horse, or car).

Because you can find each other so easily, it won't be hard to build villages close to each other.  Gone are the days when you have to travel 2000 tiles to find the expert family that you need.  Short-range transportation networks can be useful in this new world, stitching together the fabric of the new social geography.

And of course, a bunch more issues have been fixed.  The most noticeable thing is the new Lab Table, which you can use for non-food bowls, like various chemical solutions.

Only 94 issues to go.

#2 2020-03-13 00:40:04

Legs

Re: Update: Known Homeland

First for castle doctrine, trespassers will be shot on sight.

Loco Motion

#3 2020-03-13 00:57:48

Coconut Fruit

This will be better than it used to be last weeks, but still I preferred the world without race specializations.

Social puzzles is not what I'm looking for in games.

But it's interesting how people will play now... I wonder if people start making walls around their towns once again.
Most likely some people will make rubber supply for everyone, for free, same with horses, because in one life one can get tons of rubber or horses. Gingers for the other hand can't make that much oil, it's very time consuming, and there is nothing worth more than oil.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#4 2020-03-13 01:12:15

Elsayal

Nice step big_smile

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#5 2020-03-13 01:15:19

Coconut Fruit

Well, actually I could trade some oil for an engine, it would be a fair trade... But only if I needed an engine. Too bad we use engines only to upgrade wells. Not worth wasting oil for diesel mining pick in infinite world.
Not mentioning cars or planes - making them, or even worse using them is considered as griefing.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#6 2020-03-13 02:31:11

Cogito

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Well, actually I could trade some oil for an engine, it would be a fair trade... But only if I needed an engine. Too bad we use engines only to upgrade wells. Not worth wasting oil for diesel mining pick in infinite world.
Not mentioning cars or planes - making them, or even worse using them is considered as griefing.

The main issue there is you can’t disassemble them. I believe there is a big raised against that, and hopefully will be fixed soon.

Gingers also have fur coats and fish, but those seem more situational than desirable.

There are no alternatives for horses, and no alternatives to rubber (wheels for big carts in particular) and those are *very* desirable.

#7 2020-03-13 03:36:08

DestinyCall

What do white people trade?

#8 2020-03-13 06:32:28

miskas

DestinyCall wrote:

What do white people trade?

they will hold a big sign saying, "I will work for food".

Nothing man, they will just take what they want and leave. Until fences are placed.

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#9 2020-03-13 08:08:01

Coconut Fruit

This is actually a great update.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#10 2020-03-13 08:29:06

Melea

jasonrohrer wrote:

Each family now has a homeland around their well.  The place where the water tastes sweet to them.  A family only feels comfortable enough to have babies in their homeland.  Elsewhere, they are too homesick to breed.

Will a new Eve need to solo through making a shovel and digging a well before she can have children?

#11 2020-03-13 08:39:54

StrongForce

Damn the home land is a good idea.
Is it set when an eve builds the first well?
Can speziality bioms be part of the Homeland? Since they dont have wells.

Last edited by StrongForce (2020-03-13 09:03:18)

Baby dance!!

#12 2020-03-13 10:42:41

Wuatduhf

Melea wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Each family now has a homeland around their well.  The place where the water tastes sweet to them.  A family only feels comfortable enough to have babies in their homeland.  Elsewhere, they are too homesick to breed.

Will a new Eve need to solo through making a shovel and digging a well before she can have children?

Families become restricted to their Home Land after a Shallow Well is upgraded to a Deep Well. Until the family has a Deep Well, they are considered "nomads" and can have babies anywhere.

#13 2020-03-13 12:00:11

MapleSugar

Sorry my poor english.
---  ....  ---  .-..

#14 2020-03-13 12:18:52

Tipy

MapleSugar wrote:

Actually even the hot pepper doesn't cause the hot emote, I think he may have forgot to add it or something in the code got screwed
Also even tho in onetech there is a homesick emote it doesn't appear in game

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#15 2020-03-13 15:14:42

st2019

Great update! I expected that we can now place Krautboards on desks, but this is also fine!

Here you see a Krautboard on a desk:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antq-Cabbage-V … 3793243028

I hope that we can place Krautboards in the future on a desk.

Last edited by st2019 (2020-03-13 15:16:49)

I'm an expert for: Sharp Stones

#16 2020-03-13 15:26:28

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Tipy, are you using official client?

Just tested it, and Homesick emote is working.  Also hot pepper working.

Maybe one of the mods didn't get the emotionWords.ini setting?

#17 2020-03-13 16:00:45

Tipy

jasonrohrer wrote:

Tipy, are you using official client?

Just tested it, and Homesick emote is working.  Also hot pepper working.

Maybe one of the mods didn't get the emotionWords.ini setting?

About that yes it appears to be a me problem.
I made a github issue about it but when I learned that it was just me I closed it.
I forgot to metion it here and I am sorry.
Not sure if it's the mod's fault since I have heard others that use the same mod that don't have the issue.
I have played only one life so it may work the next.

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#18 2020-03-13 20:03:07

antking:]#

where is the hand sanitizer gel we were promised???

quote Jason
Hand sanitizer gel next week.

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#19 2020-03-13 20:08:55

Melea

Wuatduhf wrote:

Families become restricted to their Home Land after a Shallow Well is upgraded to a Deep Well. Until the family has a Deep Well, they are considered "nomads" and can have babies anywhere.

Okay, good. But this means that nomad Eve families could gather in another family's bell town and still be fertile? Meaning multi-racial towns are still possible?

#20 2020-03-13 20:45:32

Grim_Arbiter

Melea wrote:

Okay, good. But this means that nomad Eve families could gather in another family's bell town and still be fertile? Meaning multi-racial towns are still possible?

A family with no deep well has no homeland, but can't have babies in another family's homeland.  They can have babies outside those squares, however. 

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#21 2020-03-13 21:25:54

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Actually, homeland is formed with shallow well, not deep well.

#22 2020-03-14 06:22:03

Saolin

Wow Jason, I'm impressed!  After reading the speculation in main discussion a few days ago about the update i thought it was going to be a non-fun, albeit ingenious, way of forcing trade into the game.  I know sometimes people say you don't listen to what the community wants, but i see that you do listen, you just need to put your own spin on it.  You came up with a solution here that presses forward with the changes you've implemented that makes them more successful and palatable, and i think is a very smart progression!  Great Job! <3

#23 2020-03-14 09:50:16

Melea

Thanks for the info everybody!

So far I'm quite liking the homelands update - it encourages more towns, family cohesiveness, and gives a bit more importance to male children since they can be important traders or resource gatherers far away from town without losing out on producing children. Also love the previous change to tool slots! It's really nice being able to do an occasional one-off thing without messing up my tool slots for the profession(s) I wanted to do that life.

#24 2020-03-14 20:32:28

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Glad some folks are liking this update!

#25 2020-03-14 21:21:53

Legs

After actually playing this I like it a lot. It might just be how new and fresh it still is, but this feels like what the family specialization update was meant to be.

It also neatly solves the problem of giving birth when you're a woman far outside of town.

With this and the slight rework of tool slots recently I'm really happy with the state of the game now. Feels like you finally worked out all the kinks.

Loco Motion

Board footer