One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#2 2020-03-04 11:57:56

Morti

Re: The Chemistry in OHOL, Volume 1

Onetech's Sulfur Trioxide link - https://onetech.info/2550-Sulfur-Trioxide-Reaction

#3 2020-03-04 12:40:03

testo

It would be cool if you could put them in crafting order, since there is a linear path.

• Niter - KNO3 + Water, Paper and Ashes

• Saltpeter Solution - KNO3 H2O + Sulfur

• Sulfur trioxide - SO3+ Hot Coals and Water

• Sulfuric Acid - H2SO4 + Copper foil

• Copper Sulfate - CuSO4 + Niter, Alum and Hot Coals

• Nitric Acid - HNO3+ Electrum Ingot

• Silver Nitrate - AgNO3

The only things that go "separated" are:

Malachite + forged with Charcoal in a Sealed Crucible-> Copper Ingot + Newcomen Hammer -> Copper Foil
Electrum Ore + forged in a Sealed Crucible -> Electrum Ingot.

Out of all those in the main list the only products that can be used outside this path are:
Sulfuric acid  and Copper Sulfate for Daniell Cells
Silver Nitrate for Photo Paper.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#4 2020-03-04 14:03:57

Morti

testo wrote:

It would be cool if you could put them in crafting order, since there is a linear path.

• Niter - KNO3 + Water, Paper and Ashes

• Saltpeter Solution - KNO3 H2O + Sulfur

• Sulfur trioxide - SO3+ Hot Coals and Water

• Sulfuric Acid - H2SO4 + Copper foil

• Copper Sulfate - CuSO4 + Niter, Alum and Hot Coals

• Nitric Acid - HNO3+ Electrum Ingot

• Silver Nitrate - AgNO3

The only things that go "separated" are:

Malachite + forged with Charcoal in a Sealed Crucible-> Copper Ingot + Newcomen Hammer -> Copper Foil
Electrum Ore + forged in a Sealed Crucible -> Electrum Ingot.

Out of all those in the main list the only products that can be used outside this path are:
Sulfuric acid  and Copper Sulfate for Daniell Cells
Silver Nitrate for Photo Paper.

Thanks for that list function. I've played around with some BBCode in this forum and know some of it, that other forums may use, aren't availible here, but, good to know list is.

Those electrum bars are really building up at Qin town, aren't they? Too bad the niter isn't coming in at the same rate.
We could really use more bells between the towns 2000 to 3000 meters south of Qin, give people a clear path north.

The idea behind this post is just to remind people that there is, real chemistry, availible in the game. Not a lot yet, but, it's a start.
I spent a lot of time in the physics and astronomy sections of libraries, as a kid, and often had to pass by chemistry sections, loaded with volumes and volumes of encyclopedias and Handbooks, of chemical reactions. Browsing through them on occasion, I've noted, they are fairly meticulously laid out - the number of documents, on chemistry, that people have published, is astounding.

The end game goals, being what they are at this time:

oh, and:

have encouraged me to want to gain and share, the heights of the tech tree, with others. To encourage them to do the same, with others.

Turning all that electrum into bells, may help align the roads from town to town, but the more Qin calls to people, the more players will fight it, to strike out on their own, naked if need be. Those people that wish to start on the ground, and climb the tree, for themselves. But for those that want to explore the, luxuries, of big city life; the, freedom, to experiment with the ends of all the branches, we have the abundance of resources collected, and work done, at Qin.

Does one town need 21 bells?

If we branch those bells out for thousands of meters in all directions, along the road networks that branch out of it, we increase the odds of it being reached, when we are flung out into the wild, at the next reset.

--

For those that wish to walk the path, from electrum ore to gold, via nitric acid, https://onetech.info/3015-Gold-in-Silve … ion/recipe there you go.

If you just want to help others to do so, Qin could use the alum, malachite and niter you find out there. Introduce it into the network, from the wild and we'll see if it finds it's way there.

Mind the snakes.

#5 2020-03-04 15:53:31

Spoonwood

Morti wrote:

The idea behind this post is just to remind people that there is, real chemistry, availible in the game.

Where are the experiments?  What chemcial hypotheses have gotten tested inside of this game?  What methods have gotten used in the design of experiments?  How have the results AND methods of the experiments gotten communicated?  Have experiments gotten replicated?  There are no atoms (in the chemical sense of the word), no electrons, nor any chemical bonds in this game.  Where is the mathematical modeling?  Where are any theories?  Where is physics to organize/lead the results of experiments?  OHOL characters don't have algebra.  Though calculations do get done by individual characters, I don't think they have arithmetic, though maybe they have a few arithmetical laws in their heads.  They don't even have geometry!   

Maybe alchemy exists inside of this game.  But, even alchemists did experiments and could communicate a lot more than characters in this game can.

There's real chemistry inside of OHOL?  I don't think so.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2020-03-07 00:25:14

Solbusaur

Spoonwood wrote:

There's real chemistry inside of OHOL?  I don't think so.

I can agree with this. I've been thinking about the chemistry in OHOL as well, and the fact you can make these chemicals from scratch using the raw resources in the ground is awesome. We have all these bowls and bottles of nitric acid, and sulfuric acid, or various reactive metals, but the freedom is lacking.
That is to be expected of course, given that each item must be hand drawn and added as an individual item, including intermediates. I am definitely looking forward to Jason expanding on the tech tree around the chemical parts though, the most likely additions being various cures and treatments to illnesses that may come down the line

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#7 2020-03-07 00:36:50

DestinyCall

Anyone here familiar with Spacestation13?   Now that is a game that does chemistry right.   So many chemical reactions, life-saving medications, and hallucinogenic drugs.

Chemistry is powerful stuff!

#8 2020-03-07 20:01:22

Morti

DestinyCall wrote:

Anyone here familiar with Spacestation13?   Now that is a game that does chemistry right.   So many chemical reactions, life-saving medications, and hallucinogenic drugs.

It looks like SpaceBase DF9 played via IRC.

#9 2020-03-07 20:53:48

Morti

Morti wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

It looks like SpaceBase DF9 played via IRC.

Sorry if I seemed harsh, that was after a 5 second glance, after listening to a half hour of videos on the game, it looks like it is a really good project.

I can only imagine OHOL after a decade. If it becomes really easy for people to host and modify their own servers, like, set them in movies, places and time periods... this game is going to be really awesome. I know that sort of thing is possible right now, but either people are going to stream line the process, documenting what they do, based on many people's attempts at running their own servers, clients and editing their own graphics, or, maybe Jason will one day do that for people. Make some new settings... I really do associate the game with these graphics, and so much more - everything, really. BUT, that doesn't mean that someone else couldn't just set this, in Caesar's Rome, in a polish village in the middle of World War 2, or on Mars., a thousand years after Terraforming was introduced, and, the first human beings are placed out on the surface... with their memories wiped, while satellites broadcast their lives back to Earth like The Truman Show.

#10 2020-03-07 21:36:14

Solbusaur

DestinyCall wrote:

Literally was going to put SS13's chemistry system in my post. It's so gooooood

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#11 2020-03-07 21:43:39

DestinyCall

Yeah, you practically need a degree in chemical engineering to work as a chemist in SS13.

https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Guide_to_chemistry

https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Chemical_recipes

#12 2020-03-07 23:32:00

Morti

Are any of you familiar with htwins elemental game?
That was a pretty cool chemistry concept. It started with four elements; Earth, Air, Fire Water, and I think maybe nothing, or, space... and then you could combine those things in various amounts to make new elements,
like Earth + Fire = Lava
Earth+ Water = Steam
etc.
Then, it went even further, and you could add even more, like;
Earth+Water = Mud
Mud + Earth = Clay
Clay + Fire = Brick
and so on.
Basically any combination, of combinations, was possible.

It was a flash game, but some of the recipes are here: http://htwins.net/carelics/elementData.txt
The flash is here: http://htwins.net/carelics/Elemental2.html
Just need to enable flash in your browser to test it out.

It was a cool concept, that allowed people to make up their own elements, and they were constantly being saved and added to permanent recipes as more people made the same recipes, calling them the same things.

carykh, one of the brothers that made that game up and a lot of others, has a Youtube channel here for programming stuff https://www.youtube.com/user/carykh
and their site is here https://htwins.net/ I recommend exploring the flash: Scale of the Universe, if you haven't played with it before https://htwins.net/scale/

They are very talented kids, I think they made that flash for scale when they were in middle school, maybe even elementary school. They're both going to University today, but it was hard to believe such young kids made this site, over a decade ago.

Board footer