One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-04 22:50:25

Coconut Fruit

How about making one week without tool slots and race restrictions?

Please.

We would have fun and you could collect some data, Jason, see if there would be more people playing the game during that week.
Just one week, please. (And don't forget to wipe out the map before doing it)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#2 2020-03-05 00:42:51

Morti

Re: How about making one week without tool slots and race restrictions?

Imagine how hard it is for Jason, having to react to posts like this?

Have you ever decided on something, made plans for your friends or family, and then part way through, one of them says "I don't wanna do this. I want to go home."

Like, you've driven halfway across the country to go to Disneyland, and suddenly your kid is saying they don't want to be on the road anymore, they want to go home?

How would you as a parent, respond to that?

How is a person trying to make a game, supposed to respond to this?

I'm not going to say how I, would want, to personally respond, because it is offensive, extremely offensive, but that is not because I care less for you, it is because I want you to understand more. I am tempted to communicate my feelings towards you, just as you are trying to communicate yours, to Jason.

It is not good, for Jason, the game, or the community, that you request we go back home, because of how you feel, in the middle of the journey to our destination.

Please, understand that, but, also, try to understand, that that analogy is flawed. There is no destination here. This is a continuous journey. And so is real life. You can never, really, go back in time, but more importantly, you, shouldn't be trying to dictate the game for the rest of us, who are not whining about Jason's choices, but more importantly, we are not requesting that he undo, what he has done.

That, is, about the absolute worst, thing that a game designer can do, for their game; try and cater, to complaints.

Here is the situation you are asking for; the game is changed back, someone else complains it's too easy. The hurdle is too low and now they request Jason, read the restrictions. We get them back. You complain again, siting how much you liked not having them. The other person says "Fuck this shit, I'm out of here." You get your way. Other people decide the game isn't going anywhere, just back and forth. They quit. Now those people aren't here anymore. You have fewer people to play with, and you quit. Everyone is less happy with the game, in the end, because of you.

That is not what you want. It's not what anyone wants. So why didn't you think about that before you made this request?
Why don't any of you, think about the experience, for everyone, before you think of it, for yourselves?
All you have to do, is figure out the game. If you enjoy doing that, play it more, when you don't enjoy it anymore, give it a rest.

Jason, on the other hand, has to figure out the audience, the code, and the message he wants to leave for the world.

What's your message? What are you saying, to every reader of this post? What do you think is the take away, for this sort of behavior?

If Jason should cater to you, then should he cater to me, in my request not to drop these restrictions?

Shall we argue? I want to, and I will, if that is what it takes for you to understand. Whether you like me or not afterwards is less important to me, than it is that you understand, why, I am willing to argue that, not only should Jason ignore your request, but that you shouldn't have chosen, to make it, to begin with.

You, and all the other people on this forum, who choir like newborns in a maternity ward, are the ones harming the progress, of this game. You are wasting Jason's energy, you are wasting his time, you are taking away, from his motivation; to add new aspects to the game, less he upset you, but worst of all, you made me waste, my, precious time between lives, on a frivolous, petty, pathetic, request of a post, where you plea, selfishly, disgustingly selfishly, for a special favor, that would change MY experience, of the game, that JASON is trying to make. How dare you. How, dare you.

Why would you want to make me feel bad about being mean to someone? Huh?
Why would you do that to me?
Don't you know I care about you? I don't want to be mean to you...

How about this, you, and everyone else, that has made these whiny posts, you all delete them for a week. Deal?

Can we have, just one, fucking week, without this shit here? Please?

I swear, I will play this game, fucking solo, if it means the 99% of you that can't help, but bitch, have given up on trying to get your way, and have left.

JUST TO HEAR THE FUCKING PIANO FINISH, AS I DIE AT 60 over, and over, again.

You know why real babies don't play this game?
They're too mature for this community.

You're too good, at being a baby, for them to even, be, what they were born, here in this community with us.
That's why they choose to stay at the hospital with their mothers.
They're afraid of the competition.

#3 2020-03-05 01:49:29

Melea

Jesus, Morti. That was a long, rambling, just plain odd way to bitch at someone for expressing their opinion/desires.

-----

Coconut Fruit: "Hey, I don't like these mechanics and it'd be great if they could be reverted for a spell, just to see what happens."

Morti: [long Disneyland family trip analogy], "Please understand" "Try to understand" "you're whining and we're not" (speaking for everyone else???) "Shall we argue? I want to, and I will, if that is what it takes for you to understand." "Everybody here are babies, wasting Jason's time with whining complaints" "Such complaints are disgustingly selfish" "How dare you" "You're such a baby" "Why are you trying to make me feel bad about being mean???" "Everybody who disagrees with me is a baby"

What...the...hell? It's like you went off meds or something before posting. Just a really, really strange way to interact with other people - people who just like you paid for the game and want to voice their opinions of the game.

#4 2020-03-05 02:19:42

Coconut Fruit

Hey, thanks for your post Morti.

Morti wrote:

Like, you've driven halfway across the country to go to Disneyland, and suddenly your kid is saying they don't want to be on the road anymore, they want to go home?

How would you as a parent, respond to that?

I don't think this is a good example... First of all, we are not on the road, but we are in Disneyland already. Tho it's not really Disneyland but more like visiting old, sick grandmother. As a parent you may think it's a good idea to visit grandma with your kids, but the kids will be bored there and not really like being there (it depends but it's just an example).

Morti wrote:

Here is the situation you are asking for; the game is changed back, someone else complains it's too easy. The hurdle is too low and now they request Jason, read the restrictions.
We get them back.

This is one possibility, but what if there were no complains? I haven't found a single person that likes the race restrictions so far, maybe it's actually not a good thing for the game? Should we thrive with it only because we don't want to be mean? Should bad decisions stay, only because there was lots of time spent on realizing them, even if they have negative impact on how much money developers make?
I'm actually asking for one experimental week, nobody would be asking to get changes back, because it's would last only for one week. We could collect data after that week and actually tell what is good and what is not.

I'm not slefish. I want Jason always making good decisions. I want Jason making a thousand times more money than he currently does. And most importantly, I want this game to be a good game, with thousands of people playing and enjoying it, because I like this game and I see potential in it. In current state I wouldn't reccomend this game to any of my friends, and I really want this will change at some point.

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2020-03-05 02:28:16)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#5 2020-03-05 03:30:33

Legs

This is very much an example of how offense is never given, only taken.

When you share creative content you invite criticism. Numbing yourself to that is part of sharing. If you can't do that you'll never succeed.

Jason is a pro, he's good at taking constructive points and discarding the rest.

Loco Motion

#6 2020-03-05 07:04:17

DestinyCall

I wouldn't say "never", Legs.   I've known some people who give offense away like it is going out of style.    They're having a fire sale on human depravity and all of their worst thoughts are 50% off.

#7 2020-03-05 07:21:47

Lum

Ok but like any good parent would just drop it and go home. If your kid doesn't wanna go to Disneyland, they're not going. Simple enough.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#8 2020-03-05 07:38:00

DestinyCall

Lum wrote:

Ok but like any good parent would just drop it and go home. If your kid doesn't wanna go to Disneyland, they're not going. Simple enough.

Ehh ... have you ever been on a family road trip?   Your parents might threaten to turn the car around if you don't knock it off, but they never do.     Or at least, mine never did and I certainly wouldn't consider it a valid response as a rational adult.   The kid is tired of driving, but he will (theoretically) be happier when you reach the park.   Throwing away all the hard work, time, and planning that went into making your family vacation a reality is not an easy decision, even if things don't go entirely as planned.

The trick is to NOT be the crazy dad from that one Vacation movie that goes completely nuts when he finally reaches the park and it turns out to be closed.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-03-05 08:42:37)

#9 2020-03-05 08:01:09

Dodge

You can look up the numbers yourself before and after tool slots/specialization, spoiler alert it makes absolutly no difference.

Why not remove the food bar? What a stupid restriction to be needing to eat food and why not infinite water and unbreakable tools too?

But maybe you have a fair point so can you explain please why you think specialization is bad? and same for tool slots?

Why you dont like these two updates?

Why do you think they are bad for the game?

#10 2020-03-05 08:25:26

Whatever

Dodge wrote:

Why not remove the food bar? What a stupid restriction to be needing to eat food and why not infinite water and unbreakable tools too?

You are confusing something,

Race restrictions make it impossible for you to do the certain things. The same with tool slots.
If all your tool slots are used it is impossible to use another tool.

But a food bar doesnt remove anything from the game, it makes it harder, the same with needing more water or breakable tools.
If a tool breaks, you can make another, if you run out of water, you can get more.

Forced restrictions that take away your ability to do something are not fun at all, its fun to interact with other people, yes, but not if its forced and you can do less because of it.
Its like someone comes to you and breaks your legs and now you need another person that moves you around in a wheel chair.

#11 2020-03-05 10:17:14

Dodge

Whatever wrote:

If a tool breaks, you can make another.

If you cant make something, you can ask someone to do it.

What's the difference?

Btw what you call "forced restrictions" is really subjective it's like saying in real life i want to learn baking, smithing, tailoring, astrophysics.

You will be limited too either by time or capacity or wathever else

Tool slots simulate that limit that a person would have and that prevents them to be able to learn everything in a single life, in real life you have to make choices and that's what tool slots are about.

Should i learn smithing or baking?

Is more interesting than "whatever i can just do everything lol"

But if you have a specific reason to dislike tool slots then what is it?

Why do you dislike having to make a choice or is that choice not interesting for some reason, if yes what is that reason?

Or is there another issue with tool slots in your opinion?

More insight would be apreciated.

Last edited by Dodge (2020-03-05 10:18:03)

#12 2020-03-05 11:02:33

Whatever

dodge why do an empty line after ever sentence? group things together to make them easier to read, but dont put an empty line between every sentence

Dodge wrote:

What's the difference?

Whatever wrote:

Its like someone comes to you and breaks your legs and now you need another person that moves you around in a wheel chair.

If you walk or someone moves your wheelchair what is the difference? what is more fun?

Dodge wrote:

Btw what you call "forced restrictions" is really subjective it's like saying in real life i want to learn baking, smithing, tailoring, astrophysics.

You can learn all of these things if you want, there is no magic barrier that restricts you
for example:
Galileo Galilei was an Astronomer Mathematician Astrologer Physicist Polymath Philosopher Engineer
(source google)

But you should not compare the game to real life that much, its a game not real life, many things in game make no sense compared to real life,
a game should be fun, that is what is important.

#13 2020-03-05 11:11:08

Dodge

Whatever wrote:

Like i said before in real life you cant learn everything you have to make choices, the same as when you had to choose what you wanted to do later in life, cant be mechanic + doctor + cook + etc.

Anyway can you please answer the questions i asked in the previous post?

Thanks

#14 2020-03-05 11:15:05

Morti

Coconut Fruit wrote:

This is one possibility, but what if there were no complains?

I'm complaining about what YOU are doing, right now. You are not oblivious to that, are you?
I want you to stop, requesting, that things go back to the way they were.
I don't even want to see those kinds of changes. Complain if you want, about being black or about not being black.
Complain about which superhero wasn't given the greatest, super powers. That's fine.
What's not fine, is you changing another person's universe, for everyone else that is enjoying that universe.

Coconut Fruit wrote:

I haven't found a single person that likes the race restrictions so far, maybe it's actually not a good thing for the game?

You haven't found them because you haven't heard them, because they're not crying. They're not saying anything, because they are enjoying their life and a change to a game they play, for a few hours a week, isn't a big deal. Then they come to this maternity ward, and that's sometimes 50% of every post on the first page, and that's the bulk of all they see; bitching. Crying. Requests for catering service.

"Jason, I don't like going to the store to get cheese, can you just bring it to me and stuff it in my face? Thanks."

No. It's time to grow up and buy your own cheese. Moms not makin your favorite sammy any more, quit trying to force her to, and quit trying to force your mother to feed it to the rest of us. I'm not here for your mom's sandwich, kid.

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Should we thrive with it only because we don't want to be mean?

Thriving is a good thing, by the way, it means to prosper, or to flourish. Perhaps you meant deal with it? Put up with it, perhaps? Accept it? Yes.
Are you suffering, because of it? Are you emotionally tormented, by the anguish and loathing it is causing you to feel, not having every skill, of every character class, in Diablo 2, because you're a level 99 sorceress? Should everyone have the top speed, of Bowser, and the acceleration, of Toad, in Mario Kart? Sucks to be you, with only two hands, doesn't it. You should have, five hands! Or at least four right? Chimps basically have four hands, little monkeys have four hands, why shouldn't you?
Why shouldn't we, go back, to having four hands?

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Should bad decisions stay, only because there was lots of time spent on realizing them, even if they have negative impact on how much money developers make?

There, is so much wrong, about you suggesting that if Jason, cater to you, he'll be wealthier because of it.
You are whining, like other whiners do, because you observed those whiners. You were born a baby, we all were, every fucking one of us, and everyone will, be born, a baby. But crying will only get you so far in life. Complaining, is useless, compared to dealing; compared, to doing.

If you don't like doing this, do something else, but please, don't beg Jason to do what you want to do, don't try and force those changes, onto the rest of us.
Or at least try to be a little more tactful, a little more, subtle, about how you bring about change, to the world, via Jason.

Coconut Fruit wrote:

I'm actually asking for one experimental week, nobody would be asking to get changes back, because it's would last only for one week. We could collect data after that week and actually tell what is good and what is not.

And what sort of things do you think that week is going to prove? What does that say to the rest of the kids in the maternity ward? KEEP CRYING, and you too, can one day get your lips around that teet again. KEEP WHINING and you too, can be cooed by the nurse. Her voice is so soft, so gentle, Coconut, and her clothes, are so warm, her hair, smells of fresh lavender, in a late spring breeze through the valley. You don't know what you are missing, Coconut, this nurse really likes me. If that wasn't obvious, by the stutter, before I stopped complaining about being alone, and started to let her know, how much I love, that she picked me.

Coconut Fruit wrote:

I'm not slefish.

We are all selfish, but how self ish or self less, we are, varies, from person to person.
The nurse is selfish too, not only does it make her happy to hold me, but it makes her happy to hold you too.
She loves, to love us, Coconut, and loving a room FULL of babies, is the most selfish thing in the world to her.
And she gets paid, on top of it. ;-)

Coconut Fruit wrote:

I want Jason always making good decisions.

An avalanche, of philosophy text, I could snow ball down this mountain.
However, it will suffice to say, I want you, to make good decisions as well.

Coconut Fruit wrote:

I want Jason making a thousand times more money than he currently does.

I'm going to assume that Jason would rather make a world, for people to be happy in (happy being another avalanche, that I would much rather argue with you about, than this) rather than make ten, thousand times, more money. Jason wants people to find the mechanics of this world interesting. He is, interested, in how we, solve the problems, he presents. As a big brother, I can understand that. As a little brother, I also understand you. As a human being, that often finds himself alone, in the middle of the woods, thinking of the people out there in the rest of the world, who are not alone in woods, at the moment, I don't understand any of this. But I'm okay with that... to a degree. To the degree that I can admit, that I have no idea, what life will do with itself, when I'm no longer here, I am okay, with being uncertain. But you people better not fuck up the chance you have to get off the rock and get life moving onto every other world in this universe, or I will have been extremely pissed, while I was alive... that you won't care, because I'm dead.

Coconut Fruit wrote:

And most importantly, I want this game to be a good game,

There is that word again, good. Good to who? Good, for what? Good for everyone? How is that possible? Existence itself, is good for everyone, even those, that embody the woes of all life in the universe, appreciate the opportunity, to have existed, just before, they end their own lives. If, they so choose, to end them.

Good is not something YOU determine for others, good is something you pick up on, from everything you surround yourself with. And when you are drowning, in a sea of complaints, about, fucking nail polish, you might think that the greatest good, would be for there to be no oceans, at all. Just because you can't swim, doesn't make fish bad. It doesn't mean they deserve to die, because you can't see the point, of water.

Coconut Fruit wrote:

with thousands of people playing and enjoying it,

Thousands do, and don't complain, ten complain and piss in the pool, for us all.

Coconut Fruit wrote:

because I like this game

Me too! That's amazing, you play One Hour One Life!? So do I! That's awesome!
What's your favorite thing about it? Do you remember that one time, where we started that that camp with mom that became a town? That was awesome.
Those were the days... you, doing the wood work, while I, made all those tools. We worked so well, together. We should do that again sometime. I tell you what. I'll go back there. I remember where it was, relative to a few of the other bells in the world, I'll revisit that place, and put work into it. I'll take care of it, and, maybe, if you're born to me, we can take care of it together. We can see what other people have done to the place, and, maybe start the fire up again, right where mom had it. You remember? You remember mom, Coconut?
Do you remember me? I made the tools.
You made all those boards... I remember that.
It's a good thing you did too, I don't know where we would have been, without you.

Coconut Fruit wrote:

and I see potential in it.

I see potential, in a rock, and a stick, to become the sport of baseball.
But I don't care about that rock and stick, the way I care about you.
I don't care about baseball, as much as I care about you.

You, you... living being, you, human. You matter, more than anything else, not because of your potential, but because of what you have proven to be... because of your, kineticism. You're amazing, did you know that? You, fascinate me, with every little thing you do.

Coconut Fruit wrote:

In current state I wouldn't reccomend this game to any of my friends, and I really want this will change at some point.

I know how you feel. I don't recommend it to mine either.
I want you all to myself. They wouldn't understand, anyway.
But you do.
You understand, Coconut.
I can see it, in... your little eye holes.

Coconut_face.jpg

You get it.

#15 2020-03-05 11:15:28

Whatever

dodge i already answered all your questions.

about real life:
imagine there was a game that is able to simulate real life to 100%, you connect your brain to a machine and it will be just like real life, no difference. Why play that game? There is no reason.
People dont play games to experience real life, its the opposite

#16 2020-03-05 11:36:17

Starknight_One

Dodge wrote:
Whatever wrote:

If a tool breaks, you can make another.

What's the difference?

Dr. Brian May is a rock star and an astrophysicist. But in your world, he must not exist because no-one could do two time-consuming, demanding jobs like that.

#17 2020-03-05 11:40:32

Morti

Whatever wrote:

Galileo Galilei was an Astronomer Mathematician Astrologer Physicist Polymath Philosopher Engineer

I'd smoke Galileo at Quake, he didn't know shit about using a mouse and keyboard.
Polymath? More like, Polynoob.

#18 2020-03-05 11:47:06

Dodge

Whatever wrote:

dodge i already answered all your questions.

not really much in depth, but anyway, you're saying the main issue is to have a hard limit that blocks you from doing anything else right?

And that in real life you could theorically learn everything and that there is nothing preventing you to do that correct?

But of course when you start something you're not automatically an expert and do thing flawlessly you start as a novice and make mistakes before getting better.

So it's a matter of time investment in that activity to better your understanding, skill and ability right?

So you can do everything but start as a novice, inexperienced and make mistakes.

Ok so how about this:

You can do everything, every job

But when you first start you are lvl1 in other words, you are inexperienced and make mistakes

Lvl1 Novice Baker: 50% chance of burning pies
Lvl2 Aprentice Baker: 30% chance of burning pies
Lvl3 Average Baker: 15% chance of burning pies
Etc..

Then you could even have buffs like experts having a % chance to make "delicious pies" or wathever

Watching someone cook 10 pies could make you gain 1 Lvl in baking for example.

This way you can do everything but it becomes a matter of being smart and organizing to avoid wasting ressources

You could bake pies yourself OR ask the expert baker to make them and show you, your choice.

There could even be books that make you lvl up and what not

So knowledge and preserving it would become and important part of every civilisation.

How does that sound?

#19 2020-03-05 12:01:22

Morti

Starknight_One wrote:

Dr. Brian May is a rock star and an astrophysicist.

Learning a hobby, like playing guitar, is not really a big deal to someone who is passionate about it, and, to be fair, his contribution to astrophysics, wasn't really mind blowing, to the astrophysics community. He was no Stephen Hawking, Roger Penrose or Kip Thorne, not by a long shot. He was the equivalent of an undergrad, in a field of post docs. What did he make, some minor contribution to an observation made on gravitational lensing, that a thousand people would have made, looking at the same data? His contribution was so miniscule, it means that little. Did he even give lectures? Did anyone notable, even attend? Probably just his mom.

But I'm sure you think he's cool, because he played a guitar... the most overplayed instrument, of the last hundred years.

Blech.

Guitars are dumb and Brian May is not cool.
You wanna step outside?

#20 2020-03-05 12:14:29

Morti

Dodge wrote:

Anyway can you please answer the questions i asked in the previous post?

Thanks

Dodge wrote:

Why not remove the food bar?

What a stupid restriction to be needing to eat food and why not infinite water and unbreakable tools too?

But maybe you have a fair point so can you explain please why you think specialization is bad? and same for tool slots?

Why you dont like these two updates?

Why do you think they are bad for the game?

If you cant make something, you can ask someone to do it. What's the difference?

But if you have a specific reason to dislike tool slots then what is it?

Why do you dislike having to make a choice or is that choice not interesting for some reason, if yes what is that reason?

Or is there another issue with tool slots in your opinion?

Dodge, have you ever heard of the Gish Gallop?
It's considered, uncool, in the world of discussion.
Not that you're uncool, it's just...

Dodge wrote:

Baking.
You should definitely learn baking.

Do I win?

#21 2020-03-05 12:22:08

Morti

Dodge wrote:

Lvl1
Lvl2
Lvl3
Etc..

How does that sound?

Are we a game design company now?
I thought this was a one man show.

I want my company title to be "Skipper" you know, like, Gilligan's Island?

"Skipper!"

You can all be skippers with me, too, it's okay, it's a flexible title.

#22 2020-03-05 12:29:06

Dodge

Morti wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Lvl1
Lvl2
Lvl3
Etc..

How does that sound?

Are we a game design company now?
I thought this was a one man show.

I want my company title to be "Skipper" you know, like, Gilligan's Island?

"Skipper!"

You can all be skippers with me, too, it's okay, it's a flexible title.

What are you talking about...

#23 2020-03-05 12:42:32

Morti

Whatever wrote:

People dont play games to experience real life, its the opposite

They, play, real life, to experience, games?

Or, do you mean, they play games to die, because they can't die in real life and keep playing?

Ooh, that'd be a cool genre name "Death Simulator"

Or do you mean something more obvious, like, we like games because we can't spin falling blocks the way we do in Tetris?

"Real Life, Tetris, Simulator"

Not as cool, as Death Simulator but I'm sure someone would play it.

Not a suicide or murder simulator though, it has to be, the way real deaths occur.

Like heart attacks, cancer, and dying in a trailer fire because you rigged your space heater to not shut off, but you got drunk on cheap vodka while on your antidepressants and, something your neighbor gave you, that he said sold on the street for 5 dollars, but since you gave him the last of your gallon of milk, he gave to you for free.

But the game costs you everything, and you only get to play it once?
But, how would they track your IP, what if you had a VPN or multiple computers?
How are we supposed to insure that people never play it again?

Whatever, why are you forcing me to keep typing?

Just answer pi of my questions, and you will be entered into a sweepstakes for a chance to win a million dollars.

#24 2020-03-05 12:43:57

Morti

Dodge wrote:

What are you talking about...

I'm the one asking the questions here, Dodge... ?

#25 2020-03-05 13:01:51

karltown_veteran

Morti, I understand you haven’t been well in the past and I sympathize with you. But your post isn’t very respectful to Coconut. It’s only natural for some people to miss certain aspects of a game, and communicate that feeling. And heck, a lot of the time players’ opinions are valuable and useful to Jason. So try to understand that Coconut means well.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

Board footer