One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-03-01 05:13:05

Spoonwood

Re: Mr. Rohrer's Lies About What His Servers Provide

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

The 100 item a week thing is the biggest thing you can criticize in the whole thing, and I'm pretty sure I've even seen jason admit here he was too ambitious to think he could do that many.

You seem to have assumed that he did think he could do that many every week.  I just don't find that likely.  The old-art style promotional video comes from November 18, 2016: https://archive.is/SMVJA, which is 15 months before the game got released.  There's already a sharp stone, and a cut sapling skewer in it, and both of those are craftable objects.  Mr. Rohrer also had something like 12 or 13 years of development experience at that point in time.  And each craftable object takes art work and coding.

Really, I think it's reasonably to ask if there's ever been a single week where Mr. Rohrer did add 100 craftable objects that particular week?  If there wasn't what sort of basis did he ever have for thinking that he could do such on a regular basis?  And even if there was one week, so what?  That's still not much of a basis to conclude that 100 craftable objects could get made every week, correct?  And again, Jason wasn't a rookie game developer in terms of time spent developing games.

Again, it just doesn't seem likely to me that he thought he could make 100 craftable objects every week.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#27 2020-03-01 05:37:53

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

Spoonwood wrote:
Grim_Arbiter wrote:

The 100 item a week thing is the biggest thing you can criticize in the whole thing, and I'm pretty sure I've even seen jason admit here he was too ambitious to think he could do that many.

You seem to have assumed that he did think he could do that many every week.  I just don't find that likely.  The old-art style promotional video comes from November 18, 2016: https://archive.is/SMVJA, which is 15 months before the game got released.  There's already a sharp stone, and a cut sapling skewer in it, and both of those are craftable objects.  Mr. Rohrer also had something like 12 or 13 years of development experience at that point in time.  And each craftable object takes art work and coding.

Really, I think it's reasonably to ask if there's ever been a single week where Mr. Rohrer did add 100 craftable objects that particular week?  If there wasn't what sort of basis did he ever have for thinking that he could do such on a regular basis?  And even if there was one week, so what?  That's still not much of a basis to conclude that 100 craftable objects could get made every week, correct?  And again, Jason wasn't a rookie game developer in terms of time spent developing games.

Again, it just doesn't seem likely to me that he thought he could make 100 craftable objects every week.

How long did it take you to type that post.  Asking for research purposes.  You made the entire 2 paragraphs prior to your last sentence, redundant.

I'm fish, deal with it or don't, idgaf

#28 2020-03-01 05:43:57

DestinyCall

I'm pretty sure Jason counts each transition as a seperate craftable object, so 100 "new" objects each week isn't that unbelievable.    Black walls added a dozen.

https://onetech.info/versions

#29 2020-03-01 08:59:17

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

I'm pretty sure Jason counts each transition as a seperate craftable object, so 100 "new" objects each week isn't that unbelievable.    Black walls added a dozen.

I haven't a clue what the difference between what a black plaster wall is and black plaster wall shelf removed is, if there exists one at all.  And since the transition between the two is only one of time without any sort of apparently describable change other than time difference, that suggests to me that they are the same object.  It looks to me like the preceding steps of how something got crafted has somehow changed what got counted as an object.  But, adobe is one object, not two.  The other walls seem acceptable to me.  So, I think that should get counted as 11 craftable objects because black walls coming into existence.

Also, what you referenced doesn't classify a transition as an object (and thus not a separate craftable object).  The arrows and shading to me suggest that for a transition there's a sequence of input(s) and object(s) that come about because of the transition acting on the inputs.

From what have you inferred that Jason counts transitions as craftable objects from?  Any memory on how you got there?

Danish Clinch.

#30 2020-03-01 10:15:15

Dodge

Yes imo the trailer should be changed to "New update every week" or something like that, the object thing even if technically correct kinda (not really) is not necessary.

A game updated every week is already impressive enough dont need the whole "100 object" thing, just compare it to other games at what rate they are updated (7 days to die took a whole year for a new update i believe)

Is it that important or are you just trying to find an excuse to be mad?

#31 2020-03-01 14:15:40

Spoonwood

From around :40 to about 1:50 in the video, there's a sequence of objects which get enumerated.  Object 55 is a half wooden frame, object 56 is a partial wooden frame, object 57 a wooden frame, and object 58 a netted wooden frame.  I didn't find any of those terms on OneTech.  Do those objects still exist?  For anyone who doesn't know, they did once exist.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-03-01 17:42:36)

Danish Clinch.

#32 2020-03-01 14:19:54

DestinyCall

Those sound like the components to make a pine panel.

#33 2020-03-01 14:27:19

Starknight_One

Spoonwood wrote:

From around :40 to about 1:50 in the video, there's a sequence of objects which get enumerated.  Object 55 is a half wooden frame, object 56 is a partial wooden frame, object 57 a wooden frame, and object 58 a netted wooden frame.  I didn't find any of those terms on OneTech.  Do those still exist?  For anyone who doesn't know, they did once exist.

Those are the old transitions for making pine panels, before Jason made it simpler. One of the few instances I can recall of him backing down from  'muh realism!' in crafting objects.

#34 2020-03-01 15:06:40

sigmen4020

Starknight_One wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

From around :40 to about 1:50 in the video, there's a sequence of objects which get enumerated.  Object 55 is a half wooden frame, object 56 is a partial wooden frame, object 57 a wooden frame, and object 58 a netted wooden frame.  I didn't find any of those terms on OneTech.  Do those still exist?  For anyone who doesn't know, they did once exist.

Those are the old transitions for making pine panels, before Jason made it simpler. One of the few instances I can recall of him backing down from  'muh realism!' in crafting objects.

Strange thing is that the partial pine panels have been completely removed from Onetech. While some pieces of other removed content such as the tattered backpacks and broken baskets can still be found on Onetech, just marked as uncraftable.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#35 2020-03-01 17:17:40

Mekkie

Jason has said his goal is 10k craftables... that hasn't changed.  Ark did similar when they said they wanted ... uhh.. i forget the number... X amount of dinos. 

You can call it false advertising, but it's hardly an offense worth crying over.  Hell, you've surely seen the dozens and dozens of mobile games that straight up use footage from other games in their advertisements... now THAT is bad.

#36 2020-03-02 01:25:24

Spoonwood

No, I haven't seen dozens and dozens of mobile games which use footage from other games.

Advertising in general does NOT get better by people accepting dishonest advertisement.  It gets worse and more people get mislead.

Bad things do not become good, because of worse things.

Danish Clinch.

#37 2020-03-02 03:15:14

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

Spoonwood wrote:

No, I haven't seen dozens and dozens of mobile games which use footage from other games.

Advertising in general does NOT get better by people accepting dishonest advertisement.  It gets worse and more people get mislead.

Bad things do not become good, because of worse things.

But did you die?

I'm fish, deal with it or don't, idgaf

Board footer